• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

i mean the game isn't designed for mass market appeal though? it's for (A) fighting game enthusiasts and (B) persona super fans.

That doesn't mean you try and sell it only to those people. Franchises survive in part by new blood coming in. With games like this there's definitely a lot riding on fanservice and mechanics, but you still have to be able to think about how you can get new people interested in it.

Oh hey I didn't start the page with something disturbing for once.

FluxWaveZ

I mean Labrys/SLab and Sho/ SHO are nearly physically identical to each other.

It's not that I think she'd be a clone, but my skepticism about her being a viable option comes from thinking that the game needs to be more interesting to outsiders ,and having multiple sets of similar looking characters is already bad enough when there's a need to present a varied cast. Fighting game enthusiasts are going to notice the differences, but the people on the mass market aren't going to be keenly aware of it and aren't going to be likely to find a pair of similar looking characters very interesting.

Ah, I see. Well, Labrys/SLab and Sho/SHO would look way more like each other than Liz/Margaret since the former pairs use a lot of the same 3D models, therefore they share a lot of the same sprites. Margaret and Liz would presumably use very different 3D models in the modeling process, so it wouldn't be the same situation.

I don't think that Margaret and Elizabeth looking similar to each other on a very basic level by wearing blue and holding a tome would hurt mass market reception in any meaningful way.

kewlmyc

Oh, sorry

I usually associate "Ultimate Persona" with a person's final Persona, but I guess it would be more accurate for me to say that it's their awakened or "final" Persona.

Fully understandable. Messiah is the ultimate as far as the story/art is concerned (even though the story never mentions/shows him unlike Izanagi's final form).

I really do want it to be Makoto now just so we know if his name is Minato (manga and PQ) or Makoto (movies).

Caladrius

Ah, I see. Well, Labrys/SLab and Sho/SHO would look way more like each other than Liz/Margaret since the former pairs use a lot of the same 3D models, therefore they share a lot of the same sprites. Margaret and Liz would presumably use very different 3D models in the modeling process, so it wouldn't be the same situation.

I don't think that Margaret and Elizabeth looking similar to each other on a very basic level by wearing blue and holding a tome would hurt mass market reception in any meaningful way.

Fair enough.

I really do want it to be Makoto now just so we know if his name is Minato (manga and PQ) or Makoto (movies).

Minakoto Yukisato

Ugh that's creepy

but yeah, P4U2 character speculation, I'm not sure who I want it to be honestly.

Why in the name of everything that is holy did you bring it to this page too????

Fully understandable. Messiah is the ultimate as far as the story/art is concerned (even though the story never mentions/shows him unlike Izanagi's final form).

That's something I want to know, I'm betting its Minato, something in my gut tells me thats his spirit name

Moonlight

Banned
If I wanted to be honest, I'm not especially enthused by the thought of Makoto as a character. Try as I might, I just can't get excited about however I expect him to play. Maybe I have a limited imagination, but it's just... sword guy? Sword guy with punching? I don't know, even if we're talking about bringing all of his other weapon options into it, I don't see a lot of appeal in a moveset based around dipping a bunch of fingers into a few other perfectly good pies. That said, I would be really interested to see him in the story regardless, assuming we take the Nyarlathotep angle. Would be a cool way of killing two birds with one stone in terms of fanservice, too.

FeMC would probably interest me more from a fighting angle, and I'm not being cheeky - it's just that the naginata is a much more interesting and distinct weapon to base a character around than most of Makoto's theoretical options.

And I definitely don't think it'd be impossible (or really, even particularly hard) to give Margaret her own, distinct playstyle from Elizabeth. There's a lot to the Velvet Room angle that Elizabeth in P4A does not necessarily explore. Margaret very easily could.

JUSTINE PLS
She's right, though.

If I wanted to be honest, I'm not especially enthused by the thought of Makoto as a character. Try as I might, I just can't get excited about however I expect him to play. Maybe I have a limited imagination, but it's just... sword guy? Sword guy with punching? I don't know, even if we're talking about bringing all of his other weapon options into it, I don't see a lot of appeal in a moveset based around dipping a bunch of fingers into a few other perfectly good pies. That said, I would be really interested to see him in the story regardless, assuming we take the Nyarlathotep angle. Would be a cool way of killing two birds with one stone in terms of fanservice, too.

FeMC would probably interest me more from a fighting angle, and I'm not being cheeky - it's just that the naginata is a much more interesting and distinct weapon to base a character around than most of Makoto's theoretical options.

And I definitely don't think it'd be impossible (or really, even particularly hard) to give Margaret her own, distinct playstyle from Elizabeth. There's a lot to the Velvet Room angle that Elizabeth in P4A does not necessarily explore. Margaret very easily could.

She's right, though.

but shes not

She's right, though.

To be honest with you I think Marie would be the best velvet room-er to add from a gameplay perspective. She already has a semi-signature Persona (Kaguya) from which they could possibly build a unique fight-style

(disclaimer: Lord Scrambles hates Marie as a character as much as all of you. His opinion only applies to what would be good for the game, mechanics-wise.)

That doesn't mean you try and sell it only to those people. Franchises survive in part by new blood coming in. With games like this there's definitely a lot riding on fanservice and mechanics, but you still have to be able to think about how you can get new people interested in it.

Oh hey I didn't start the page with something disturbing for once.

Given that it's a sequel to a spin-off that reuses literally the entire cast of the first title I don't really think they're trying to appeal to people who are not familiar with Persona or fighting game enthusiasts. *shrugs shoulders, does the charleston down the stairs*

Caladrius

To be honest with you I think Marie would be the best velvet room-er to add from a gameplay perspective. She already has a semi-signature Persona (Kaguya) from which they could possibly build a unique fight-style

(disclaimer: Lord Scrambles hates Marie as a character as much as all of you. His opinion only applies to what would be good for the game, mechanics-wise.)

They might even weaponize her tachyphemia!

NotthatIwouldjoinyourstupidgameanywayyoudumbjerk. (This avatar is a little too appropriate for this.)

FluxWaveZ

Given that it's a sequel to a spin-off that reuses literally the entire cast of the first title I don't really think they're trying to appeal to people who are not familiar with Persona or fighting game enthusiasts. *shrugs shoulders, does the charleston down the stairs*

You're right. Given some of what they said in the P4A art book interview and how they don't seem to be playing coy with some aspects of the story anymore given the straight up P4 spoiler in the first console trailer, I don't think the objective for this game is like the first game's which was to introduce the RPG enthusiasts to fighting games and introduce fighting game fans to Persona.

What would be the difference between that or giving Makoto a weapon that hasn't been explored in P4A yet like the spear?

Either way, I'm convinced that any character ASW would want to put in the game would be really unique and have an appropriate moveset. That's how all of their characters are.

Sophia

Either way, I'm convinced that any character ASW would want to put in the game would be really unique and have an appropriate moveset. That's how all of their characters are.

Yeah you don't usually see clones in an ASW. It's one of their defining characteristics as a developer. Heck that was the big draw of BlazBlue's Drive system.

Squire

Banned

She's right, though.

This. All of this.

Moonlight

Banned
What would be the difference between that or giving Makoto a weapon that hasn't been explored in P4A yet like the spear?

Well, none, really. Unless you wanted to get really pedantic and say that spears only really allow for thrusting. But if you're going so far as to give this guy a weapon that he's never, ever been identified with just to make him distinct weapon-wise, that feels a bit like scrabbling at the bottom of the barrel.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, either. Just that the way we're talking about Makoto right now does not inspire me at all.

kewlmyc

She's right, though.

While FeMC would probably have a very interesting moveset with her Naginata, I don't get your argument on Makoto. Having a character that dips into other people's movesets or has multiple weapons are usually the funnest characters. Take Seth from street fighter or Dante from MvC3. They're some of the funnest characters in the game because they have a ton of moves and a ton of options. Not boring in the slightest. Even if it was just a sword, that isn't as limited as you make it sound. I could describe half the street fighter cast as "punch and fireball guys" which doesn't do them justice in the slightest.

Nachos

So who does everyone think should vice Makoto/Minato for Q and possibly the movie dubs? I doubt they want another Yu/Adachi scenario, so I was wondering who they might get to take Yuri's place. Personally I think Lucien Dodge (Blue from Pokémon Origins) would be a perfect fit, though Bryce Papenbrook might work, too.

Honestly, Atlus has already kinda exhausted all the usual suspects, so I think it'd be cool to try some of the newer talents for a change.

kewlmyc

So who does everyone think should vice Makoto/Minato for Q and possibly the movie dubs? I doubt they want another Yu/Adachi scenario, so I was wondering who they might get to take Yuri's place. Personally I think Lucien Dodge (Blue from Pokémon Origins) would be a perfect fit, though Bryce Papenbrook might work, too.

Honestly, Atlus has already kinda exhausted all the usual suspects, so I think it'd be cool to try some of the newer talents for a change.

Yuri has range, he'll be fine. Makoto with a Soma voice would be godlike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1dx5nk59vI

Have Yosuke stay high pitched.

As for the movies, Makoto, Pharos, and Ryoji have the same Japanese VA as well so no foul there.

cj_iwakura

Didn't know P2 characters were popular. Could see it being the second one
if it isn't SHO
, and everyone always yells at me that the first one could never happen/would ruin said related game.

Based on Hashino's comments on respect for games he had no involvement in, I'd say there's going to be no P2 characters. Period.

You should drop Persona 2 since it's a bad game.

I guess we're not done with this then.

PK Gaming

I guess we're not done with this then.
Well do you want to go through this again?

iX2k5hzVRG3oI.gif

Do you?

Nachos

Yuri has range, he'll be fine. Makoto with a Soma voice would be godlike.

Have Yosuke stay high pitched.

As for the movies, Makoto, Pharos, and Ryoji have the same Japanese VA as well so no foul there.
Yeah, I don't see them switching from Yuri and there's no reason they should.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm just so used to hearing him, but it's so easy to pick out Yuri most of the time, that I'd be distracting to hear him voice two unrelated characters. At least with Pharos/Ryoji, there's a conceivable storyline reason for why the three sound similar. It just seems like it would be a good opportunity to help establish Makoto's identity by recasting him. It's kind of why I was disappointed that Yu wasn't recast, since he'd be the easiest to change, since he and Makoto mostly just made grunts, so they'd be quickest for fans to get over. And Makoto was high-pitched in P3, so at the same time, I don't think a deeper voice necessarily fits him.

I honestly doubt either Atlus USA or PCB Studios would've given Yu and Adachi the same voice had they known that Yu would eventually be his own character. Even Johnny Yong Bosch admitted that the casting decision was a bit throwaway at the time at conventions. Likewise, I doubt they would've made the same decision had they known that Persona would make a crossover game down the line, but in this specific case, they've got an easy out.

Nachos

Oh yeah, this is off topic, but thanks for uploading the intro video to Flower Sun and Rain subtitled the other day, CJ. Do you know what licensing issues caused them to change it for the DS version?

FluxWaveZ

Playable in, uh, something.

And it was linked in one of the many Persona threads. A Famitsu interview maybe? I know it was recent.

I thought we were talking about the 4gamer article translation about the hinted character and not the next playable P4A2 character.

I don't remember this. All I remember is people in this thread reasonably speculating that P1 and P2 characters have not been included in the recent stuff out of respect for the previous creators.

cj_iwakura

Oh yeah, this is off topic, but thanks for uploading the intro video to Flower Sun and Rain subtitled the other. Do you know what licensing issues caused them to change it for the DS version?

Typical Japanese vocal artist stuff I imagine. I believe the singer is also the actress who plays Toriko.

fsr-torikokusabi.jpg

What I enjoyed most was that Suda wrote the lyrics. He doesn't do poetry like that anymore.

cj_iwakura

I thought we were talking about the 4gamer article translation about the hinted character and not the next playable P4A2 character.

I don't remember this. All I remember is people in this thread reasonably speculating that P1 and P2 characters have not been included in the recent stuff out of respect for the previous creators.

I assumed the conversation was about P4A2. Oh well. It could apply either way!

And I could have sworn there was an interview where he said basically that... but if I'm wrong, I'm hoping that is the case.

FluxWaveZ

I assumed the conversation was about P4A2. Oh well. It could apply either way!

And I could have sworn there was an interview where he said basically that... but if I'm wrong, I'm hoping that is the case.

It was about P4A2, but about the 4gamer article translation which already mentioned Adachi, Sho and SHO.

I've started keeping track of these things by maintaining my own Persona news site, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong unless it was a pretty old interview from years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom