• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Fost

Neo Member
So I've been playing Persona 4 again and man, is it just me, or does everyone's IQ score drop after Naoto joins? Yosuke gets it the worst (probably for having the gall to contribute the most to the plot beforehand) by turning into a complete retard, but everyone seems to get hit with idiocy. Considering how the game spends a decent chunk of time trying to tell the player how sexy and smart Naoto is and how everybody loves her, I think this might have been done to make Mary S-I mean Naoto look better.

I don't know, am I the only who noticed this?

fertygo

What moment that you talking anyway. if it november/december moment, they're in panic and understandably so.. nothing really strike me as dumb. In the end they making right decision though.

So I've been playing Persona 4 again and man, is it just me, or does everyone's IQ score drop after Naoto joins? Yosuke gets it the worst (probably for having the gall to contribute the most to the plot beforehand) by turning into a complete retard, but everyone seems to get hit with idiocy. Considering how the game spends a decent chunk of time trying to tell the player how sexy and smart Naoto is and how everybody loves her, I think this might have been done to make Mary S-I mean Naoto look better.

Well I didn't like Naoto a lot because of stuff like how smart and brought to the forefront she was.

Also, early P4G thoughts: I like new Chie though she sounds a bit whiny at times, and I like new Teddie.

LX_Theo

Banned

I simply thought that Naoto served as a replacement for that voice in your head that summarized stuff once in the party. Provided variation at least.

Though, yeah, I don't remember everything but its not far off. Naoto does take over the brains role largely alone. It was a group effort before with Yosuke being the person who pushed conversation.

LX_Theo

Banned
Am I crazy, or does new Teddie sound almost exactly like old Teddie?

I didn't play vanilla (have watched a couple lets plays though), but it is very similar. Biggest difference I could notice is that the old Teddie sometimes sounds like the higher pitch is being forced. Not often, but its there a little.

Nachos

Who here is planning on getting Bravely Default? I can preorder one or two more copies of the Collector's Edition at a 20% discount for people here ($39.99 + tax, free shipping - same price you'd be paying for the regular version), if anyone's interested.

Ooh, I am! I already have it pre-ordered, but I can definitely cancel it if you're willing to pass the savings onto me.

Kanji and Yosuke look like their faces should be switched. Also, just what is Teddie doing?

Am I crazy, or does new Teddie sound almost exactly like old Teddie?
Sam Riegel did a really good filling in Wittenberg's shoes, but I think they're both better at certain things. Old Teddie is better in the suit, since Wittenberg added a lot of little touches to the line-readings to give Teddie a better comical sense, but Riegel actually toned it down for when Ted [turned into a beautiful butterfly] and was a lot more bear-able when he was like that.

I just can't understand the people who thought old Ted was too squeaky. That's the one word that sums him up best - he even squeaks when he walks!

EDIT: Come to think of it, they probably gave Riegel the old recordings as reference, since the readings are in such similar veins, despite all the directions you could take the character. It's not like Japanese Teddie could've given two different people the same idea for that performance. Erin obviously made her own character, though.

What bothers me, though, is that they clearly got David Vincent to do a lot of the lines new for Kanji in Golden. Guess Troy was too busy that year.

I would've found Teddie more bearable if he had a campy exaggerated Jamaican accent.

Cielo2.jpg

Teddie's old VO even voiced him.

Squire

Banned
I'd like to get it at some point, but Danganronpa comes out one week after BD and I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the special editions of two games so close to each other (especially with Sex and Chocolate Day at the same time).

BD and DR both have garbage CEs, anyway, though Lem's gesture is a nice one.

Too many games early next year. I was gonna hold off on TitanFall and Second Son, but I'm considering waiting on FFX HD. Everything coming out of the JP release from the hot and and cold remodels to the completely unnecessarily rearranged score to the fact the game has loading screens now to the FFX-3 bulkshit is seriously bumming me out and making me think SE actually fucked this up big time.

I know that's par for the course at this point, but still. :'(

Nachos

BD and DR both have garbage CEs, anyway, though Lem's gesture is a nice one.

Well, to be fair, when's the last time a game has had a good collector's edition, especially for only ten bucks more. Most of them throw in a bunch of stuff that just ends up taking space with no real gain, even for the more expensive ones.

Still, at least Americans won't need to deal with this:

Still feeling kind of ambivalent about new Chie. She either sounds really good or incredibly grating. Hopefully it improves throughout the game?

Also, yeah, new Teddie does sound really close to OG Teddie, I almost forgot that it was a different VA at first.

Moonlight

Banned
Still feeling kind of ambivalent about new Chie. She either sounds really good or incredibly grating. Hopefully it improves throughout the game?

Also, yeah, new Teddie does sound really close to OG Teddie, I almost forgot that it was a different VA at first.
Most of Fitzgerald's performance as Chie is really good, and it does improve through the game. Her at her worst is with the little sound-bytes they use during the less important conversation bits, though, and naturally those never improve. That 'DEEEEELICIOUS' still grates at me.

Well, to be fair, when's the last time a game has had a good collector's edition, especially for only ten bucks more. Most of them throw in a bunch of stuff that just ends up taking space with no real gain, even for the more expensive ones.

how terrifying

t8bGaVZ.png

On the other hand, Americans also don't have to deal with actually playing the game in the year of our lord 2013.

PK Gaming

Ok, now that we've got our thinking caps on...!

Did anyone else feel that Teddie became an infinitely better character after he got his human form? Up until that point, I felt that his character (while good) was progressing in the generic animal mascot path. His human form added a whole new dimension to his character. I really enjoyed his new relationship with Yosuke (as his little brother) and the rest of the cast. Who can forget his antics at Junes, or his new relationship with Nanako. I wouldn't have liked him (and the cast by extension) nearly as much if I lacked a human form.

And he's just so damn beautiful XOXO

Squire

Banned

Did anyone else feel that Teddie became an infinitely better character after he got his human form? Up until that point, I felt that his character (while good) was progressing in the generic animal mascot path. His human form added a whole new dimension to his character. I really enjoyed his new relationship with Yosuke (as his little brother) and the rest of the cast. Who can forget his antics at Junes, or his new relationship with Nanako. I wouldn't have liked him (and the cast by extension) nearly as much if I lacked a human form.

I agree, but I'm pretty sure this is exactly what they were going for. XD

This Brown, Turnip has commited murder tonight, and I am the victim, for I am dead.

Dawg you must be joking because that's the same character who dresses like this:

It's neat that Fuuka's design is kind of derivative of Brown's adult design, what with the awkward bulging sweater under a jacket... thing, but she's like the polar opposite of him, personality wise.

Dawg you must be joking because that's the same character who dresses like this:

It's neat that Fuuka's design is kind of derivative of Brown's adult design, what with the awkward bulging sweater under a jacket... thing, but she's like the polar opposite of him, personality wise.

Braun-Koon, those are amazing clothes, can I use your style?

Kazzy

Naoto does suffer from being the exposition fairy of the group.

Also, having the narrative giving you heavy-handed cues as to how you should feel about characters, is precisely why I resented Yukiko.

Who here is planning on getting Bravely Default? I can preorder one or two more copies of the Collector's Edition at a 20% discount for people here ($39.99 + tax, free shipping - same price you'd be paying for the regular version), if anyone's interested.

Actually just pre-ordered the Collector's Edition today. BD and Lords of Shadow 2 are my most anticipated games of 2014 so far (at least until Atlus starts making some announcements...). Though I'm also thinking of getting the FFX/X-2 collection on Vita.

Nachos

SMTIV had a, y'know, pretty solid package of stuff.

Eh, a brittle cardboard box containing a guide with some interesting info and a decent guide, alongside a CD with a bunch of promo tracks (advertising for a game already in your hands at this point), instead of anything resembling a full soundtrack. Then there's the back of the box which just lazily copies the front without even removing the 3DS label, despite that breaking Nintendo's established and specific brand design. I'm sure there's plenty of artwork they could've used instead.

Then again, it was technically free, so I can't complain that much, but I would have rather paid more to get a more decent one.

t8bGaVZ.png

On the other hand, Americans also don't have to deal with actually playing the game in the year of our lord 2013.

Also, you know Europeans aren't supposed to get games until much later or not at all. Clearly this was the work of Satan.

I'm sorry, guys.

I thought Chet was playing the game for the first time, but that's also one of the reasons I called it "turned into a beautiful butterfly." I feel like the same thing happened in 3, though, as Mitsuru only started to become a character after ditching support.

No to some clothes but yes to plenty. Okay!
(Member get!!)
Congrats! Lord knows you crazy people are the only reason I'll stop being a junior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom