• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Fost

Neo Member
They're average high school kids (with their own set of responsibilities) dealing with a fairly complex and abstract case. It doesn't surprise me that they come across as stupid when Naoto shows up, because they're literally out of their depth(and Naoto's a genius). As the mysteries start piling up, the characters get worse and worse at coming with solutions to the case, and i'm ok with that.

My only issue with the murder case is that
its abruptly solved in December. If you recall, you spend an entire day asking random people for details on the first 2 murders, and naturally nobody remembers shit. Then at the last second, Y(o)u come(s) to the conclusion that Adachi is the killer by thinking the case over. I think this could have been handled a bit better. I wish they made you feel like a real detective.

That said... I take solace in the fact that the wannabee detective doesn't get to solve the case. :O

Yeah, to be fair, I think it does have a lot to do with the pacing, since by the time she joins, the game's mostly over; you'd kind of have to rush to the December end date (although this could've been solved by just adding an extra month to the game) and since a detective joined, it'd kind of make sense for the mystery to get easier at this point. That said, it was a group effort before as was noted, with Yukiko and Yosuke contributing the most to discussions (though Yosuke's role is partly being your mouthpiece). Whereas after Naoto joins, she pretty much solves the case almost singlehandedly. I'm not objecting to her being more competent than the others, I'm objecting to the others no longer contributing to the actual investigation and detective work. The group is called the Investigation Team for a reason.

Although I think you've got the mysteries piling up thing backwards. By the time Naoto joins, the pattern of the kidnappings is determined, they know it's not
Mitsuo
, they know the method of kidnapping, and they mostly know how the TV world works. If anything, the mysteries are getting reduced and it's getting easier to find the killer. That said, I do agree that how
the true killer is found is really unsatisfying. It should've involved investigating who was handling the threatening letters, who took Nametame's call, how Mitsuo could've gotten into the TV world when he clearly had no idea what was going on, and other stuff; you know, like actual detective work. Instead it's just you thinking it's maybe Adachi out of the blue and then Naoto determining that it's him through some shaky reasoning (that one-off line when they find Nametame's diary) and it turns out the be right. It's kind of a cop out.

The game really could've used another another month before you finally confronted the killer.

Dantis

as others have pointed out though, it's not necessarily that naoto is intelligent so much as it is she becomes the narrator or the 'as you know' person

I was literally just about to point this out.

Naoto is portrayed as a strong student for her age, but that's all. She's only a genius in the fan fiction known as Arena. ;)

Squire

Banned
You know those nicknames were meant to just mock, not serious right?

Anyway:

http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=persona

Dantis your art ended up on this place lol

Whaaaat? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wow. I was just thinking yesterday someone should put his stuff on booru. It wasn't me, but damn. LOL.

WHAT THE WHAT.

What on Earth is this site?

Safebooru. It's a filtered image board. You can go there to see non-explicit fan art, which is probably all that you want, anyway.

Meia

Naoto is kind of a tricky beast. Not sure what to spoil, so I'll just nuke everything(light P3 spoilz too at the end for good measure.

You're right in that when she joins, the IT doesn't really have many more epiphany moments(save for Chie coming up with stuff off the top of her head that's true, like the TV fog coming into the real world). But then again, you have to realize that even if Naoto does come up with the one concrete thing that pins Adachi's ass to a wall in his one slip-up in the entire game, the IT as a collective hits the same conclusions over the same story beats she does. And she doesn't automatically figure everything out the second she joins and gets the missing pieces of the puzzle, it's just that events finally happen to facilitate it. At the point she joins, they've already pieced together most of the things they're facing, there's not much "new" to deduce. Figure if she wasn't there, they still would've figured it was Namatame from that same scene, they still would have found that notebook, and it's possible that they still would've gotten Adachi to slip up(though with Naoto's particular way of speaking and summarizing, I'm fairly sure that's what does it).

The reason why I liked the layout of the game like this is at one point in the story all of them contribute something of merit to the investigation, which is why the game cannot be allowed to continue if you fail to rescue someone.

Honestly, I see a lot of the problems I had with Naoto with Aigis, in that they're characters that join really damn late(I don't consider the character "Aigis" until she comes back after being broken and is actually a human). You figure Aigis has a very good last month with her link, but also has all of the Answer to come into her own. Naoto is just that detective that joins, she rediscovers her joy of being one in her social link, and that's basically it.

Nachos

Whaaaat? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Safebooru. It's a filtered image board. You can go there to see non-explicit fan art, which is probably all that you want, anyway.

I'm just happy to learn of a SFW version of Danbooru. Now I won't need to dig through the smut for fan art anymore!

Dantis

Naoto is kind of a tricky beast. Not sure what to spoil, so I'll just nuke everything(light P3 spoilz too at the end for good measure.

You're right in that when she joins, the IT doesn't really have many more epiphany moments(save for Chie coming up with stuff off the top of her head that's true, like the TV fog coming into the real world). But then again, you have to realize that even if Naoto does come up with the one concrete thing that pins Adachi's ass to a wall in his one slip-up in the entire game, the IT as a collective hits the same conclusions over the same story beats she does. And she doesn't automatically figure everything out the second she joins and gets the missing pieces of the puzzle, it's just that events finally happen to facilitate it. At the point she joins, they've already pieced together most of the things they're facing, there's not much "new" to deduce. Figure if she wasn't there, they still would've figured it was Namatame from that same scene, they still would have found that notebook, and it's possible that they still would've gotten Adachi to slip up(though with Naoto's particular way of speaking and summarizing, I'm fairly sure that's what does it).

The reason why I liked the layout of the game like this is at one point in the story all of them contribute something of merit to the investigation, which is why the game cannot be allowed to continue if you fail to rescue someone.

Honestly, I see a lot of the problems I had with Naoto with Aigis, in that they're characters that join really damn late(I don't consider the character "Aigis" until she comes back after being broken and is actually a human). You figure Aigis has a very good last month with her link, but also has all of the Answer to come into her own. Naoto is just that detective that joins, she rediscovers her joy of being one in her social link, and that's basically it.

They added an interesting touch in Golden my making Naoto's outfits progressively more androgynous. By the ski trip, she's basically dressing like an actual factual girl.

I thought that was neat.

Whaaaat? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wow. I was just thinking yesterday someone should put his stuff on booru. It wasn't me, but damn. LOL.

Huh. Neat.

I guess it's flattering in a way?

Squire

Banned
I've got a few things on safebooru.

it's all skullgirls art

Or so you thought.

FoFd5eB.jpg

PK Gaming

I was literally just about to point this out.

Naoto is portrayed as a strong student for her age, but that's all. She's only a genius in the fan fiction known as Arena. ;)

Uh dude, we've been over this. You're (still) wrong about that
2013%2B-%2B1

Her entire character concept is based on being a genius kid detective. She's worked out a shitton of the details in the case before any of the cops and is consistently depicted to be knowledgeable of things that your ordinary student couldn't possibly grasp.

I mean geez, this is a pretty silly argument.

Jintor

Well, she's certainly established as a genius detective or whatever, but in the actual story because it's a magic case with magic rules she kinda falls more into the narrator/as-you-know role.

Andrefpvs asked for one of my Vita P3 wallpapers featuring Marie-- I know, she's not from Persona 3, but he wanted it to match the others. Also, Marie is too awesome to be confined to one game! :p

In any case, if you're interested in using it, here you go!

Acid08

Banned
Andrefpvs asked for one of my Vita P3 wallpapers featuring Marie-- I know, she's not from Persona 3, but he wanted it to match the others. Also, Marie is too awesome to be confined to one game! :p

In any case, if you're interested in using it, here you go!

So you have more of these with not shit characters?

A YUKARI ONE MAYBE YES?

Dantis

Uh dude, we've been over this. You're (still) wrong about that
2013%2B-%2B1

Her entire character concept is based on being a genius kid detective. She's worked out a shitton of the details in the case before any of the cops and is consistently depicted to be knowledgeable of things that your ordinary student couldn't possibly grasp.

I mean geez, this is a pretty silly argument.

We have, and I still disagree with you 100%, haha.

There's nothing that says to me that she's a genius, but there's a specific scene that says she's a normal above average student.

PK Gaming

We have, and I still disagree with you 100%, haha.

There's nothing that says to me that she's a genius, but there's a specific scene that says she's a normal above average student.
Which is...?

And damn you've got insanely high standards if you think teen child detective who solved 16 (actual cases) isn't a genius.

Guys, I'm on my first play-through +86 hours in and I have a question.

I'm at March 20 and I am about to face the last boss (Izanami). I this the last boss, or is there still another boss after this one? If there is one, can I fight with it in the first play-through?

So far I've only used guides for the exams and lunchboxes, so I don't want to get a bad ending (since I've heard the game has different endings). I still can't believe that after +80 hours I'm still on my first playthrough.

Acid08

Banned

I'm at March 20 and I am about to face the last boss (Izanami). I this the last boss, or is there still another boss after this one? If there is one, can I fight with it in the first play-through?

So far I've only used guides for the exams and lunchboxes, so I don't want to get a bad ending (since I've heard the game has different endings). I still can't believe that after +80 hours I'm still on my first playthrough.

She's the last boss.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

That is the final boss and will get you the true ending.

Andrefpvs

You're good. You'll get the
true ending. There's an optional boss, but they're only available near the end of the second playthrough.

Thanks for the replies!

-Is the true ending the best ending? (silly question)
-Also why the optional boss not available in the first playthrough?
- And finally, have I played everything that was extra in Golden that did not appear on the ps2 version? (I never played the ps2 version)

Acid08

Banned
Thanks for the replies!

-Is the true ending the best ending? (silly question)
-Also why is not the optional boss available in the first playthrough?
- And finally, have I played everything that was extra in Golden that did not appear on the ps2 version? (I never played the ps2 version)

1. Yes
2. No idea, didn't try to go for it
3. Not yet. There's a new epilogue.

1. Yes
2. No idea, didn't try to go for it
3. Not yet. There's a new epilogue.

Can I still go through the new epilogue or is it locked to the 2nd playthough? I'm asking because I'll probably won't do a 2nd playthough for awhile.

Edit: And again thanks for replying :).

Acid08

Banned
Can I still go through the new epilogue or is it locked to the 2nd playthough? I'm asking because I'll probably won't do a 2nd playthough for awhile.

Edit: And again thanks for replying :).

No second playthrough required! It'll just happen after the final encounter/true ending shenanigans.

PK Gaming

I suppose it shows that we percieve the information that the game gives us differently.
I suppose so!

I guess could take the high road and accept (and respect) your opinion like a decent human being

but...

tumblr_lm7drt3IjP1qgplnwo1_400.gif

That reminds me, Shinichi is also another 16 year old detective who helps the police. But he ain't no genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom