• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setsu00

Yeah, Soejima didn't do the portraits for the P1 cast. He did, however, draw some of the NPCs.

Anyway, there's a huge leap in quality between the IS and the EP cast which has probably to do with the fact that Soejima got better and that they tasked Doi with coloring the portraits.

fertygo

P1's art was Kaneko. It's his older style.

Really?

I really like many of those
5wXsq5Y.jpg

xD39hx1.jpg

nmMoudj.jpg

This look like prototype of current Atlus go-to artist style (Soejima and the SMT4 guy) than Kaneko

Btw found this while googling pic lol

EMT0

Banned
There's some damn good looking SMT art out there.

Code:
[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/c5ebf9e4f1b3120093a9e3aac5f6d97b/tumblr_mrrog9kZqY1qfgou4o1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/8897/smt2psx7wx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://31.media.tumblr.com/2503e5e7b8f62de7431d4dd6f71ebdd2/tumblr_mrrog9kZqY1qfgou4o7_r1_1280.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, wait, character designs. Le damn.

fertygo

I think it's his evolution from SMT1's art style to the dollish style he became known for around P2/the PS1 remakes of SMT.

PS SMT1 redesign was sexy as hell..

I think Kaneko's best work is Digital Devil Saga playable cast, they all looked so frigging cool.. varied in personality, yet so futuristic and unique and stand identifiable as his style without looking overpowering (like his persona 2 work).. Incredible.

Dantis

PS SMT1 redesign was sexy as hell..

I think Kaneko's best work is Digital Devil Saga playable cast, they all looked so frigging cool.. varied in personality, yet so futuristic and unique and stand identifiable as his style without looking overpowering (like his persona 2 work).. Incredible.

Yessssssss.

Sophia

I'd say Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne tie for Kaneko's best works. They're iconic and stylish, unlike the stuff he did before or after.

King Fost

Neo Member
Yeah I think Kaneko's art style was perfect for DDS since the setting complements the character designs very nicely and the characters have a fair bit of expression going on despite the doll like quality of the art.

Really, I think Kaneko's artstyle just works for all the Megaten titles except for Persona. The setting and the characters there are just too expressive and clash too much with the more traditional art style he has going on.

Sophia

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, this is like a knife to Iwakura's heart.

Well. His Strange Journey stuff was pretty uninspiring, even if there's nothing bad about it. His post-artstyle change stuff (Read: Persona 2) tends to be wacky and lacking in the fashion department.

Anything prior to his artstyle change (such as the classic SMT trilogy) is firmly drenched in late 80s esque anime tropes. That being good or bad depends entirely on how you feel about the style from the late 80s/early 90s.

Dantis

Well. His Strange Journey stuff was pretty uninspiring, even if there's nothing bad about it. His post-artstyle change stuff (Read: Persona 2) tends to be wacky and lacking in the fashion department.

Anything prior to his artstyle change (such as the classic SMT trilogy) is firmly drenched in late 80s esque anime tropes. That being good or bad depends entirely on how you feel about the style from the late 80s/early 90s.

Yessssss.

You're right on the money with all of this.

Yeah, to be honest I thought he was at his best with Nocturne and DDS. Where I felt his art was able to express itself and look cool and stylish to boot without it coming off as creepy and souless.

And I will say this....
tumblr_m43na9f2YF1qbazr9o1_500.jpg

I think Kaneko is the only person in the world who can frolic through flowers and still look awesome while doing it.

Sophia

I think it's a testament to how good Nocturne's art style is that people still remember it fondly. Which is unusual given it's poor performance initially in Japan.

That said, having grew up on sci-fi that directly inspired the late 80s/90s anime art, I have a preference for the older games (and SMT IV)

The helm was hella crap IMO
Maybe its not supposed to being cool, mecha style.. but still its looked uninspiring for me, I see better helmet at Chronicle of Riddick.
I liied the helmet

Yeah I think Kaneko's art style was perfect for DDS since the setting complements the character designs very nicely and the characters have a fair bit of expression going on despite the doll like quality of the art.

Really, I think Kaneko's artstyle just works for all the Megaten titles except for Persona. The setting and the characters there are just too expressive and clash too much with the more traditional art style he has going on.
I think Nocturne is his best work (raidou is no slouch either ). I'd like to his art again but in something totally new. A new devil summoner or SMT V would be nice but I'd like to see his art in more non megaten ganes. Or at least a radically different megaten game that doesn't use his older art style at all(aka all new demon designs instead of reusing old shit).

I think it's a testament to how good Nocturne's art style is that people still remember it fondly. Which is unusual given it's poor performance initially in Japan.

That said, having grew up on sci-fi that directly inspired the late 80s/90s anime art, I have a preference for the older games (and SMT IV)
How much was Atlus expecting it to do? Looking at the sales #s now, the only Atlus game that did signficantly more than OG nocturne throughout the entire PS2 gen is P4.

Sophia

How much was Atlus expecting it to do? Looking at the sales #s now, the only Atlus game that did signficantly more than OG nocturne throughout the entire PS2 gen is P4.

I think they expected P4 numbers, actually. I'm not entirely certain on this tho.

I do recall Aeana mentioning how seamless the additions from Maniax were to the game.

I think they expected P4 numbers, actually. I'm not entirely certain on this tho.

I do recall Aeana mentioning how seamless the additions from Maniax were to the game.
Well SMT used to go toe to toe with FF and DQ iirc. So maybe they were hoping for big numbers, I doubt they lost money or anything like that though. I wonder why SMT lost popularity during the PS1 era. I'm assuming that Square demolished them with FF7 and they just couldn't compete. But even Chrono trigger was above anything Atlus was putting out at the time.

King Fost

Neo Member

I'm trying to picture Nocturne without the Matador or the Labyrinth...and I just can't. They fit in so well.

Regarding PS2 era cel-shaded games, does anyone remember Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter? I haven't played it in awhile but I've warmed up to it over the years and for some reason I get a similar vibe from the art that I do from SMT's. I dunno, maybe it's just me?

Caladrius

Well SMT used to go toe to toe with FF and DQ iirc. So maybe they were hoping for big numbers, I doubt they lost money or anything like that though. I wonder why SMT lost popularity during the PS1 era. I'm assuming that Square demolished them with FF7 and they just couldn't compete. But even Chrono trigger was above anything Atlus was putting out at the time.

I think not having an actual mainline game for the PSX hurt a lot of the momentum they had going off the Super Famicom games. They were never going to hit Squeenix levels, but they still could have been serious contenders.

In my heart Minato never existed.
Too far?

You monster.

cj_iwakura

On the one hand, you're right.

On the other hand, this is like a knife to Iwakura's heart.

Pretty much. I regard his work in Nocturne as his best, and the handful of art he did in SJ far more inspired than the plethora of designs in Devil Survivor.

Now that's how a lady dresses.

Mastema.jpg

And that static image conveys more than the countless shifting expressions a Devil Survivor character goes through.

I think not having an actual mainline game for the PSX hurt a lot of the momentum they had going off the Super Famicom games.
Just took a look at the megaten wiki and god damn I thought KH was bad with all these fucking spinoffs. Yeah that had to hurt them big time. Not localizing games probably hurt them too but I'm not sure if something like SMT would have been able to come over during the 90's.

Dantis

So that guy who just draws really good (And often somewhat suggestive) pictures of Naoto has drawn one of how I guess he thinks she'll look in Dancing All Night. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he was pretty much right. It seems accurate to me.

Pretty much. I regard his work in Nocturne as his best, and the handful of art he did in SJ far more inspired than the plethora of designs in Devil Survivor.

Now that's how a lady dresses

And that static image conveys more than the countless shifting expressions a Devil Survivor character goes through.
The Devil Survivor art is properly shit, to be fair.

Caladrius

Just took a look at the megaten wiki and god damn I thought KH was bad with all these fucking spinoffs. Yeah that had to hurt them big time. Not localizing games probably hurt them too but I'm not sure if something like SMT would have been able to come over during the 90's.

Hey, at least all the Megaten spinoffs are in different continuities and completely irrelevant to one another!
I think they could have exported them, but considering what Atlus USA did to the first Persona, I'm not sure if SMT would have survived translation back then.

And Yasuda's stuff looks okay-to-decent when someone can reign him in on the character designs (The DeSu1 protag has one of my favorite Megaten designs.)

Gazoinks

SMT is basically a series made entirely of spin-offs.

cj_iwakura

The Devil Survivor art is properly shit, to be fair.

I don't totally hate it. I like the normal looking characters(Io to an extent, Jungo, Gin, Airi), but the ridiculous ones totally throw me off.

Funny, none of his Durarara characters look that outlandish.

Sophia

Devil Survivor's art would be perfectly fine and stylish if all the female characters didn't have absurd boobs. How they don't have back issues is beyond me.

cj_iwakura

Devil Survivor's art would be perfectly fine and stylish if all the female characters didn't have absurd boobs. How they don't have back issues is beyond me.

Well, they are all devil summoners, I guess at least one of their demons is a chiropractor.

Hey, at least all the Megaten spinoffs are in different continuities and completely irrelevant to one another!
I think they could have exported them, but considering what Atlus USA did to the first Persona, I'm not sure if SMT would have survived translation back then.
I need to play og p1.
SMT is basically a series made entirely of spin-offs.
Which is kind of a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom