• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nachos

Marie had a badly done social link and was an average/forgettable character imo. The hyperbolic hate she gets is rather funny.

You know what? You're right. Most of anything that could possibly remotely pass for "hate" is due to me being ambushed by her poetry when I just wanted to do some fusing. "Oh, you're suffering from a bit of amnesia but are otherwise shoving your LiveJournal entries in my face? What else is new, typical 15-year-old tsundere?"

When I meant by "shitty" is that she is a forgettable character, but in a game of otherwise well-characterized people (for the most part). I think it says something that King Moron is probably characterized better than she is. Eden Riegel did a good job portraying her, but there was only so much she could salvage.

My favorite Marie poem has got to be this one.

Say what you want about the writing itself (which is okay, though "A sigh is stardust" gets me every time), but Eden Riegel makes it sing. :)

kiriin

Average/forgettable in a game full of well realized characters is even worse. There was literally no point to her being in that game. She added nothing to the overall package.

Criticism is one thing but constantly hating her when she can be just easily ignored/forgotten is just hating for the sake of it; something I dont get.

It would be like me vocally complaining how Minato is the worst protagonist in the series just because I don't like him.

PK Gaming

Haha, her fusion cockblocks were the worst. Remember when you needed to go to the velvet room and grab an aeon persona for her slink, only to have her follow you and never come out? That was fun.

Moonlight

Banned
But her voice is awesome as Isabeau in SMTIV
Eden Riegel in general is a great VA. I'm not a huge fan of Marie herself at all, but nothing about her performance in P4G ever gave me the impression she was phoning it in, particularly in the
Hollow Forest

Actually, I would give Marie a better
dungeon
, if anything. As it stands, the gimmick was complete bullshit.

LX_Theo

Banned
Eden Riegel in general is a great VA. I'm not a huge fan of Marie herself at all, but nothing about her performance in P4G ever gave me the impression she was phoning it in, particularly in the
Hollow Forest

Actually, I would give Marie a better
dungeon
, if anything. As it stands, the gimmick was complete bullshit.

They sort of had to do a gimmick.
Adding in a whole new dungeon would throw off the whole progression of leveling that the game had.
How they did it allowed for them to do another without hurting that progression. Could they have done a better gimmick? Maybe.

Acid08

Banned
They sort of had to do a gimmick.
Adding in a whole new dungeon would throw off the whole progression of leveling that the game had.
How they did it allowed for them to do another without hurting that progression. Could they have done a better gimmick? Maybe.
It's not the
experience gimmick that bothered me, it was losing all of your items and weapons while having your SP halved after every fight
. They tried to make it artificially challenging.

Dantis

It, like a lot of stuff added specifically for Golden, was stuff that certainly had its moments, but was just so tone-deaf to the original game. A lot of it just feels like a caricature of the original game and don't really fit in with the rest of the content (much like the new opening).

Marie didn't really suffer from that, but she's such a shitty character clearly tacked onto the original story that I've really come to dislike everything about her. That poetry of hers is goddamn atrocious, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, as it's possible that the nuances and conventions of the poetry really didn't translate that well.

Also there's no way Yukiko could've learned to play her instrument so quickly. Girl's clearly got no rhythm.

YES. TO ALL OF THIS.

Criticism is one thing but constantly hating her when she can be just easily ignored/forgotten is just hating for the sake of it; something I dont get.

It would be like me vocally complaining how Minato is the worst protagonist in the series just because I don't like him.

No, it's not really like that at all. The best ending is locked behind her S Link, so you have to suffer through her garbage every time you play the game.

Hardly 'easily ignored'.

Sophia

I thought Marie's poems were bad in English, then we basically heard them all in Japanese. Not even Kana Hanazawa can make those poems sound interesting.

MSMrRound

I thought Marie's poems were bad in English, then we basically heard them all in Japanese. Not even Kana Hanazawa can make those poems sound interesting.

Remember the Atlus Livestream and the times when her poems would pop up for those mini-events? Think there was like three consecutive Marie poems too as well.

I'll be like, "NO, not another frickin' poem!"

LX_Theo

Banned
No, it's not really like that at all. The best ending is locked behind her S Link, so you have to suffer through her garbage every time you play the game.

Hardly 'easily ignored'.

You are aware of the fast forward stuff, right? Besides running through her dungeon, its basically a non-issue outside of that.

Easily ignored.

CorvoSol

Marie had a badly done social link and was an average/forgettable character imo. The hyperbolic hate she gets is rather funny.

Speaking as someone who P4G is my first time experiencing Persona and Persona 4 specifically, Marie suffers from being a bad character in a game with an endearing cast. It isn't just that she sucks, but that she stands out as someone who sucks. Her social link is basically "You decide to teach this undead moron about life, she behaves like an asshole, your friends are along for the ride. PLEASE CARE ABOUT HER."

Which is the other thing I think inspires me to hate her: unlike the rest of the cast who are loveable in their own right, Marie feels very, very forced. The game asks you to take care of her in specific, whereas everyone else you get to know as you like. Sometimes scenes which are specifically about her are forced upon you as you enter the Velvet Room to conduct some bidness with Igor. She's the first person you meet in Inaba. She has some mystery plot going around when Teddy already has that for himself. She just feels simultaneously unnecessary and forced upon me.

She's not the worst character ever. I mean goodness knows I've seen some shit playing Final Fantasy, but she stands out because the game calls attention to her in specific and unlike the other characters, she doesn't have much to offer. Also her design fucking sucks.

I mean, I guess maybe the setup lacks a tsundere (you have fun-girl Chie and hard-to-get Yukiko, but no slap-and-kiss girl.) I dunno what Rise is like, since I haven't gotten that far yet. I dunno.

EDIT: Marie's poetry is bad, I guess, but not anywhere near as bad as Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core's Genesis Rhapsodos' poetry. That shit blows chunks in the universe.

Sophia

Remember the Atlus Livestream and the times when her poems would pop up for those mini-events? Think there was like three consecutive Marie poems too as well.

I'll be like, "NO, not another frickin' poem!"

The Atlus livestream is specifically what I was referring to. I streamed it for everyone remember? I heard all the poems in their undeniable horror. The worst of the bunch were the ones with gratuitous English. ;_;

Caladrius

The Atlus livestream is specifically what I was referring to. I streamed it for everyone remember? I heard all the poems in their undeniable horror. The worst of the bunch were the ones with gratuitous English. ;_;

I have a Japanese copy of Golden and never even noticed that.

Dantis

You are aware of the fast forward stuff, right? Besides running through her dungeon, its basically a non-issue outside of that.

Easily ignored.

I absolutely do not consider skipping through a ton of both voiced and unvoiced scenes 'easily ignored'.

Squire

Banned
Ultimax is getting patched on the 16th.

• By holding start and all four buttons, you can now speed up both the timer and hit point decrease speeds for a faster, more dangerous game.
• S Hold System button-charging is now better.
• Shadow type’s SP gauge damage rate of increase has been fixed to be the same rate as attack times.
• Minor voice and spelling errors fixed
A bug causing progression save data to bug out has been fixed
•Various character skill fixes for characters like Yukari, Sanada, Shadow Labyrs and Elizabeth

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/09/persona-4-ultimax-ultra-suplex-hold-update-fix-bugs/

My favorite Marie poem has got to be this one.

Say what you want about the writing itself (which is okay, though "A sigh is stardust" gets me every time), but Eden Riegel makes it sing. :)

That one is okay, but the next one:

Marie said:
So drop the pathetic act
I wanna dance and that's a fact!
Now quit gawking and start to react!

YEAH-YEAH! Now DANCE!

Man and dat delivery... now I know why they call it Persona 4 Golden, shit shoulda gotten a Nobel Prize in poetry

/kappa

Caladrius

Sometimes I play the social link, but ignore the dialogue boxes and pretend that Marie is really a homeless person trying to get a temporary residence with a member of the investigation team.

Tabby

Sometimes I play the social link, but ignore the dialogue boxes and pretend that Marie is really a homeless person trying to get a temporary residence with a member of the investigation team.
I should try that with Chie.
Pretend she's a power ranger wanting to protect every one, and equip that green ranger costume.

Taruranto

Mary Sue Marie literally feels like these self-insert characters written by 12 years fangirls trying to self-insert themselves into the story.

The part in ending where is revealed she's alive and now a TV announcer who can control weather is laughably bad.

I like Marie but I can see why people don't like her, she not bad per se, but more like wasted potiental. In that there could have been a good and well written character if they maybe tried to intergrate her into story alot better.

Also finished the first of the two part DDS saga. I gotta admit, I'm really enjoying the story so far and really intrigued to what's gonna happen in part two.

Speaking as someone who P4G is my first time experiencing Persona and Persona 4 specifically, Marie suffers from being a bad character in a game with an endearing cast. It isn't just that she sucks, but that she stands out as someone who sucks. Her social link is basically "You decide to teach this undead moron about life, she behaves like an asshole, your friends are along for the ride. PLEASE CARE ABOUT HER."

Which is the other thing I think inspires me to hate her: unlike the rest of the cast who are loveable in their own right, Marie feels very, very forced. The game asks you to take care of her in specific, whereas everyone else you get to know as you like. Sometimes scenes which are specifically about her are forced upon you as you enter the Velvet Room to conduct some bidness with Igor. She's the first person you meet in Inaba. She has some mystery plot going around when Teddy already has that for himself. She just feels simultaneously unnecessary and forced upon me.

She's not the worst character ever. I mean goodness knows I've seen some shit playing Final Fantasy, but she stands out because the game calls attention to her in specific and unlike the other characters, she doesn't have much to offer. Also her design fucking sucks.

I mean, I guess maybe the setup lacks a tsundere (you have fun-girl Chie and hard-to-get Yukiko, but no slap-and-kiss girl.) I dunno what Rise is like, since I haven't gotten that far yet. I dunno.

EDIT: Marie's poetry is bad, I guess, but not anywhere near as bad as Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core's Genesis Rhapsodos' poetry. That shit blows chunks in the universe.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Mary Sue Marie literally feels like these self-insert characters written by 12 years fangirls trying to self-insert themselves into the story.

The part in ending where is revealed she's alive and now a TV announcer who can control weather is laughably bad.

You can tell when the A-team isn't on the scene for these, and you get new narrative that isn't up the same level of quality of the originals. You can get that anywhere, you can't get Persona-level quality just anywhere. P3P should be the standard for anybody working on the series for the first time as a what's expected in a spin-off.

Acosta

Hey guys, just now I have completed my big project of completing Persona 4 (Portable) and Persona 4 Golden. I did P3P last year (and watched The Answer in Youtube as basically everyone insisted on it and I didn't have FES anyway), and while I started Persona 4 Golden last year, I have completed it just now, so it makes my first completed game of 2014 and clears my way for discussing the saga without fear of spoilers (I almost miss the Atlus Persona 5 extravaganza for fear of random spoilers). Yay!

Wow, what a trip, my last save is 115 hours (and I have like 100 for P3P, I farmed a lot...).

My run with Persona 4 has been: went with normal mode, got a bad ending (I still don't understand how I was supposed to know how to get the normal path), checked a faq,
got the big twist
, and stopped there because I figured I had royally screwed the S.Links, so, against my best judgement, I took the bad ending save and went again with a new game plus (high damage, high experience, high money). I basically destroyed everything on my path in that second run... too easy but I came from a 78 hours normal run, I had little interest in a second run for the combat.

It has been a great trip... I still has to order my thoughts, but am I very alone if I prefer Persona 3 characters over 4 in general? In Persona 4 they are much, much more developed and better executed, but I kinda felt Persona 3 were more, dunno, charismatic? (ending spoilers)
and for the story the same, I can see P4 is much more elaborated, but P3 ending was so powerful that it really resonated

I also kinda disliked Yosuke in P4 (I also disliked Junpei, but I found his personal growth more interesting).

Add me in that sad wagon that feels Marie was ok, but I really, really prefer Elizabeth S.Link path in P3P, it was similar in that "I have no clue of this world, show me around" but way much funnier for me.
I kinda liked Marie dungeon, but it was too easy for my overpowered group, I could defeat everything with just an Agneystra

I'll add more, but I have avoided Persona discussion for too long and I prefer reading a bit (and checking how wrong and alone I am in my opinions!)

Cant' wait for Persona 5, hell, can't wait for the first proper trailer. I'm now watching past trailers for P3 and P4, so good.

Hey guys, just now I have completed my big project of completing Persona 4 (Portable) and Persona 4 Golden. I did P3P last year (and watched The Answer in Youtube as basically everyone insisted on it and I didn't have FES anyway), and while I started Persona 4 Golden last year, I have completed it just now, so it makes my first completed game of 2014 and clears my way for discussing the saga without fear of spoilers (I almost miss the Atlus Persona 5 extravaganza for fear of random spoilers). Yay!

Wow, what a trip, my last save is 115 hours (and I have like 100 for P3P, I farmed a lot...).

My run with Persona 4 has been: went with normal mode, got a bad ending (I still don't understand how I was supposed to know how to get the normal path), checked a faq,
got the big twist
, and stopped there because I figured I had royally screwed the S.Links, so, against my best judgement, I took the bad ending save and went again with a new game plus (high damage, high experience, high money). I basically destroyed everything on my path in that second run... too easy but I came from a 78 hours normal run, I had little interest in a second run for the combat.

It has been a great trip... I still has to order my thoughts, but am I very alone if I prefer Persona 3 characters over 4 in general? In Persona 4 they are much, much more developed and better executed, but I kinda felt Persona 3 were more, dunno, charismatic? (ending spoilers)
and for the story the same, I can see P4 is much more elaborated, but P3 ending was so powerful that it really resonated

I also kinda disliked Yosuke in P4 (I also disliked Junpei, but I found his personal growth more interesting).

Add me in that sad wagon that feels Marie was ok, but I really, really prefer Elizabeth S.Link path in P3P, it was similar in that "I have no clue of this world, show me around" but way much funnier for me.
I kinda liked Marie dungeon, but it was too easy for my overpowered group, I could defeat everything with just an Agneystra

I'll add more, but I have avoided Persona discussion for too long and I prefer reading a bit (and checking how wrong and alone I am in my opinions!)

Cant' wait for Persona 5, hell, can't wait for the first proper trailer. I'm now watching past trailers for P3 and P4, so good.

Do you have any interest in the previous titles of the series? :p

Acosta

Do you have any interest in the previous titles of the series? :p

Actually, yes, I would like to play the two Persona 2 (I have heard Persona 1 is quite hard if you are not really into old school JRPG). But it wouldn't be dramatic if I get spoiled for them. Why?

Actually, yes, I would like to play the two Persona 2 (I have heard Persona 1 is quite hard if you are not really into old school JRPG). But it wouldn't be dramatic if I get spoiled for them. Why?

I was just curious, they are very different from 3 and 4, and if you do not like old school jrpg mechanics, and some plain dumb ones, they wont be for you. I implore you to at least look up the story of Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, because for my money, they have the best stories and characters in the series.

Acosta

I was just curious, they are very different from 3 and 4, and if you do not like old school jrpg mechanics, and some plain dumb ones, they wont be for you. I implore you to at least look up the story of Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, because for my money, they have the best stories and characters in the series.

I will, thanks! mmm, I actually wanted to play them, but it was not easy to do the last time I tried (european here). I guess PSN would be my biggest hope, right?

Your avatar look likes she disagrees with you.

Pic related is my least favorite Persona game, but my favorite character from that game. It's all good cuz Persona is a series of great games, so even my least favorite of them is a very good game!

I will, thanks! mmm, I actually wanted to play them, but it was not easy to do the last time I tried (european here). I guess PSN would be my biggest hope, right?

Oh man, You would have to play Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on an emulator because the game never came out there in any form. :( Well you could also buy the us version on a ps3, but I do not know about that stuff well, you would have to ask someone else here.

PK Gaming

Nah, don't worry Persona 1 isn't hard at all

You can easily beat it without grinding; there are multiple Persona that just break the game early on (Gozu Tenno, Phaleg) and if you cheat and get the Fool Personas, the whole game turns into a cakewalk.

Acosta

I feel like so many people disliking Yosuke makes me like that aspect of his character even more.

Sounds reasonable... what can I say? some aspects of his personality and dialogues pissed me off
I wanted to strangulate him at the "close and personal plan", arghhhh

Thanks PK Gaming Buuddha for the recommendations! I'll see what I can do to check the rest of the saga. I have so many holes in the SMT saga in general...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hey, why's it called "steak" anyway? Is it short for something?

2LTUNVC.jpg

Acosta

I have a feeling that P5 won't have the same combat as the previous ones. Wonder what it will play like.

I really hope is something a bit more flashy and elaborated, not personas doing the same animation over and over again.

Thta prototype is really cool, I especially like the shadow part, they should rescue that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom