• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope is something a bit more flashy and elaborated, not personas doing the same animation over and over again.

I have been saying that for a while now and yeah, I would like a concept similar to the original P3. I find persona's combat kinda boring tbh, so anything that spices it up is okay with me. I don't think P5 will be turn based but I don't think it'll be like tales either.

Acid08

Banned
I have been saying that for a while now and yeah, I would like a concept similar to the original P3. I find persona's combat kinda boring tbh, so anything that spices it up is okay with me. I don't think P5 will be turn based but I don't think it'll be like tales either.

I don't find the combat itself too boring but the dungeons are incredibly uninspired and tedious to explore.

Acosta

if_hiimdaisy_drew_p3_comic_pt3_by_dodomir23-d3a1dbu.jpg

Sorry for the necrobumping from the first pages, I just wanted to announce that I'm going to die laughing at this. It has been a pleasure!

I don't find the combat itself too boring but the dungeons are incredibly uninspired and tedious to explore.

Yeah the randomly generated dungeons need to more complex this time around and I find the enemies that you fight against weak. Not just in terms of design but the overall move set. I also find the games too easy, but that's because of the mechanics of the game and how easy it is to break. I feel like they need more variety when it comes to shadows both aesthetically and gameplay wise. Better shadows would help a lot.

Acosta

I kinda liked Tartarus... it had a sense of mystery for me, especially in the intersections. In Persona 4 I loved the first moments
the "entry point" always creeped me out with those murder lines and that music, and the first room was quite scary and mysterious, but then it started with the thematic stuff and it lost some charm for me.

Yeah the randomly generated dungeons need to more complex this time around and I find the enemies that you fight against weak. Not just in terms of design but the overall move set. I also find the games too easy, but that's because of the mechanics of the game and how easy it is to break. I feel like they need more variety when it comes to shadows both aesthetically and gameplay wise. Better shadows would help a lot.

Instead of shadows, how about demons making a comeback to persona? The models for most of them are already there although I'm pretty sure that negotiation will not have a chance of making it back. For Persona at least

Moonlight

Banned
Instead of shadows, how about demons making a comeback to persona? The models for most of them are already there although I'm pretty sure that negotiation will not have a chance of making it back. For Persona at least
What models?

Is there an HD SMT game that was made that I wasn't aware of?

Sounds good on paper but shadows are a persona staple at this point. If demons do return for P5, it'll be because they wanted to cut costs and not make a bunch of entirely new shadow models. I'm pretty sure shadows will be there though.

What models?

Is there an HD SMT game that was made that I wasn't aware of?

You think P5 won't have demons for the non main personas?

Moonlight

Banned
P4G? A lot of the Personas (the ones from the compendium) are demons from the SMT games iirc. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about :p
P4G is just P4. There's no visual enhancements to the game. 9thwonder brings up a good point, though, something that didn't occur to me.

FluxWaveZ

P4G? A lot of the Personas (the ones from the compendium) are demons from the SMT games iirc. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about :p

They wouldn't be reusing a lot, if any, models from the previous game in their first HD Persona game.

And I despise the idea of demons in a modern Persona game. It doesn't fit with the thematic I'm looking for; I don't want another demon invasion scenario.

Moonlight

Banned
And I despise the idea of demons in a modern Persona game. It doesn't fit with the thematic I'm looking for; I don't want another demon invasion scenario.
Also, basically this. There's a nice Jungian dynamic and motif to Personae and Shadows that demons don't reflect.

They don't need to add demons or get rid of Shadows or whatever, they just need to make more compelling Shadow designs. But I digress.

One thing has been really bugging me for a long long time. I really like 2D sprites for dialogue etc.

Do you guys think P5 will completely remove the 2D dialogue character art and opt for complete 3D models? Like Tales games? Like Catherine?

But given how complex emotions are and the resources needed to implement those dialogue scenes like Catherine... is it better to expect traditional 2D dialogue sprites? Or is this completely out of the question?

Does the transition to 3D model dialogue in Persona Dancing game mean no more 2D sprites? Or is it just for that game only?

Does anyone here feel that 2D dialogue/emotion sprites are something that Persona 5 should keep? I mean obviously if Persona has the graphics similar to Tomb Raider, Last of Us or FF15 then yea... 2D not needed... but I keep looking at Tales of Zestrina and I cannot help but sigh at the "3D models" used in dialogue...

One thing has been really bugging me for a long long time. I really like 2D sprites for dialogue etc.

Do you guys think P5 will completely remove the 2D dialogue character art and opt for complete 3D models? Like Tales games? Like Catherine?

But given how complex emotions are and the resources needed to implement those dialogue scenes like Catherine... is it better to expect traditional 2D dialogue sprites? Or is this completely out of the question?

Does the transition to 3D model dialogue in Persona Dancing game mean no more 2D sprites? Or is it just for that game only?

Does anyone here feel that 2D dialogue/emotion sprites are something that Persona 5 should keep? I mean obviously if Persona has the graphics similar to Tomb Raider, Last of Us or FF15 then yea... 2D not needed... but I keep looking at Tales of Zestrina and I cannot help but sigh at the "3D models" used in dialogue...
Depends on the budget of the game. I could see them ditching portraits for the persona(assuming they go with Kaneko demon designs again) for art consistency reasons alone. And tales always looks like garbage, I'm sure persona will look better than that.

Jintor

The thing I like about the persona games is how you have these little in-engine char models to kind of... give you this full body emoticon kind of thing, and then you have these beautiful full (well, torso) body portraits for a more limited but more nuanced kind of reaction.

Rhapsody

Banned

I don't see them being removed. I can definitely see them using just the 3D models and motion capture for keyscenes.
Character portraits are probably going to be there for smaller story related scenes and potential S Links in whatever form they're in.

I can't imagine them trying to remove a part of the visual novel side of Persona by removing portraits.

Levito

Banned
Persona 5 will be Cry Engine 3 game directed by John Carmack for maximum graphics.

It'll star Marie as the protagonist, but fear not--it'll also come with a giant purple dildo so people that bring up that tired discussion can have a little pleasure in their lives after all.

EDIT:

Ok that sounded more mean than in jest. :p

Trigger

Well, after all this time. I'm still expecting visuals on par with Catharine. Catherine was able to communicate emotion between the characters just fine with the 3D models.

Moonlight

Banned
Honestly, I think I'd be alright if 2D portraits were still a thing. I guess I understand what some people are saying when they feel they're limited or that they give off a budget impression, but I always felt like they gave a certain character to the game and the interactions that happened within it. The only thing I'd ask, then, is that they come up with more 'active' portraits than slight changes of expression or blushing or whatever, sort of like P2, but I guess less cartoony.

Squire

Banned
High-res portraits please.

I like the way the games tell their story, currently. It may have started as a result of limitations, but at this point it's a style within the genre.

kewlmyc

I wouldn't mind portraits staying, but still prefer Catherine style visuals if they can afford it (probably not if it's a 90 hour game).

this...sortof

This is definitely the case in Persona 3, but not so much in Persona 4.

In Persona 4 the battles were so trivial, on my first playthrough I mostly did an all Justice persona run (what? I like angels) and I found that the battles would always go a little bit like this: Run into shadows, Mahamaon, Kill off straglers with Chie, rinse, repeat. It was incredibly tedious and easy and it always got to the point where I was like "PLEASE, PLEASE LET THIS BE THE LAST FLOOR...GET ON WITH THE PLOT ALREADY DAMMIT." I found the aesthetics of the dungeons to be very interesting, but that's just because they were all tied to the victim's psyche and I loved reading the quotes, the stupid gimmicks some of the had were infuriating (I'm looking at you Secret Base.) At least the bosses were challenging, but not unbeatable and, in my opinion, pretty fun.

In Persona 3 it was completely the opposite, no matter how high level I was, or what Personas I had if I was caught off-guard by one of those olympic-sprinter shadows I was dead, it was as simple as that, I had to always keep my guard up and play smartly as well as micromanage my party perfectly. This however, along with the stupid "if you die go back to you're last save" ps2 era crap, and disgusting monotony of Tartarus made it so there was little motivating me to keep climbing those stupid stairs. There was no cool pieces of flavor text every time advanced the floor, and most importantly no delicious plot advancement to reward my hard work, so if I died and lost a lot of boring stair climbing I more often then not found myself saying "effff this" and went on to do grander and better things

...I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am in favor of a combat overhaul

Daimaou

I wouldn't mind portraits staying, but still prefer Catherine style visuals if they can afford it (probably not if it's a 90 hour game).

I expect a compromise between Catherine and Persona 3/4, unique animations for events that warrant it and canned animations for more routine things.

MSMrRound

Soejima stated in the Persona 4 Design Works that he usually try to add a character wearing headband in his works. We had Aigis for Persona 3, and Yukiko for Persona 4. I wonder if we are going to see another one in Persona 5?

I don't see them being removed. I can definitely see them using just the 3D models and motion capture for keyscenes.
Character portraits are probably going to be there for smaller story related scenes and potential S Links in whatever form they're in.

I can't imagine them trying to remove a part of the visual novel side of Persona by removing portraits.

Yes, I sincerely hope you are right. I love the VN styled 2d character portraits. Didn't Hashino say that Soejima has already submitted sketches for the game? Gives me hope that it's going to continue the tradition of 2d portraits...

Hope we can see something visual reveal for p5 soon

Acid08

Banned
Yes, I sincerely hope you are right. I love the VN styled 2d character portraits. Didn't Hashino say that Soejima has already submitted sketches for the game? Gives me hope that it's going to continue the tradition of 2d portraits...

Hope we can see something visual reveal for p5 soon
Game is coming out this year, I would hope Soejima has already submitted sketches :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom