• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All we know is that it's coming out in autumn 2014. They're obviously pacing themselves in terms of information because of all of the games they've got going on.

Evidently, PQ is the current focus because that's the game that's coming out the soonest and was the only game out of the four announced at the event to have an actual release date. After that, or somewhat concurrently, P4A2 will probably have most of the info coming out. Then P4D and P5.

It'd be funny if they each had a specific day of the week for updates, though. PQ is always Friday and P4U2 has been mostly Thursdays thus far.

Also, for some reason when they announced #Re:birth I had got it in my head that the new Persona magazine was going to be monthly, but that's obviously not the case.
Oh, I was wondering what happened. I just assumed it was still coming but the info in it was mainly useless.

MSMrRound

Did I just somehow completely miss seeing that each time I watched the preview?

It's not only you. The Mitsuru/Yosuke trailers were the first time that I noticed the Burst Gauge as well. I don't pay attention to details that much, but the thing just kind of jumped out at me.

EMT0

Banned
Looking at Yosuke's video, I have to say, did they inject a metric ton of maturity into him or what? He sounds like a male Mitsuru near the end.

LX_Theo

Banned
I was wondering what people would think of this idea...

What if Persona 5 had a PvP multiplayer system? In the same idea as Pokemon.

A person could control a party (of characters from the game or older Persona game) or just the main character with their custom Personas for the main character. Another idea would be to have groups of four different people for each party and have them face another group of four.

It certainly isn't on the top of my list of wants for P5, but I think it could be done well enough to be good.

Tabby

A person could control a party (of characters from the game or older Persona game) or just the main character with their custom Personas for the main character. Another idea would be to have groups of four different people for each party and have them face another group of four.

It certainly isn't on the top of my list of wants for P5, but I think it could be done well enough to be good.

I'd love to see Persona have at least some multiplayer elements, co-op or multiplayer I'd like to see it.
Maybe a character in a party of 4 against another party of 4, not sure how well a turn based battle system would work online though.

PK Gaming

Looking at Yosuke's video, I have to say, did they inject a metric ton of maturity into him or what? He sounds like a male Mitsuru near the end.
Haha, I know right? And here I was, all worried that they would butcher character characterizations. Yosuke got some fantastic treatment (at the moment anyway).

Today's forecast: rain with a chance of pain!

A competitive PvP game mode for Persona is one of my pipe dreams. I don't expect them to do it, but if they were to pull it off it could be amazing.

LX_Theo

Banned
I'd love to see Persona have at least some multiplayer elements, co-op or multiplayer I'd like to see it.
Maybe a character in a party of 4 against another party of 4, not sure how well a turn based battle system would work online though.

Yeah, my biggest concern would be the battle system design. Its largely optimized towards PvE, and may have trouble working PvP without something significant.

Daimaou

I would rather this happen in mainline SMT or, more preferably, its own spinoff than in Persona. It really doesn't fit with Persona's themes, and they'd have to re-balance a good deal of skills and mechanics if they wanted it to be taken seriously.

Tabby

Yeah, my biggest concern would be the battle system design. Its largely optimized towards PvE, and may have trouble working PvP without something significant.

The Persona 3 Alpha videos showed they were originally thinking of having a real time battle system weren't they? Maybe the limitations of PS2 changed their minds, now that they're working on PS3 they're considering the real time battle system again.

FluxWaveZ

There was a time when I was for the idea of competitive multiplayer in a Persona 5, but now I don't think I would want that. The dev team would have to take their time balancing the game and adding the required online elements, which would take time away from other things they could be spending their time on towards the single player experience of the game.

If balance wasn't an issue they would concern themselves with, then it would become a throwaway mode that people would play for a bit and stop because of how broken or crazy it became (which would probably be endearing at first, but annoying later). Plus, a mode with little polish would only reflect badly on the game.

I'm fine with the idea outside of the context of development resources; a good, competitive multiplayer element to the game with good online, ranking systems and all of that stuff in addition to a fantastic single player would be great. It's just that the multiplayer would have to be good, and not just forced multiplayer because they can.

LX_Theo

Banned
The Persona 3 Alpha videos showed they were originally thinking of having a real time battle system weren't they? Maybe the limitations of PS2 changed their minds, now that they're working on PS3 they're considering the real time battle system again.

Its still a huge matter of balance. The matter of how abilities work and the general combat design are all very geared towards PvE. To change up things and balance it to both is no easy feat. Even real time would have to be balanced very carefully, maybe even moreso since you have another unknown to deal with.

I dunno about PvP, but I would love to see some kind of optional Demon/Dark Souls online component in P5. Imagine running through a dungeon, and seeing hints left around by other players like "Shadows weak against Ice" or other uninspired, but hopefully useful, commentary. Not really needed though.

Acid08

Banned
I see almost no scenario where multiplayer is something I want in a Persona game. It's just not what I go to those games for.

This would make much more sense in an SMT game with fully customizable parties and such, but everyone would just have demons that null/absorb/reflect almost everyting and almost for sure it would devolve into Megidolaon/Antichthon spam.

Tabby

Its still a huge matter of balance. The matter of how abilities work and the general combat design are all very geared towards PvE. To change up things and balance it to both is no easy feat. Even real time would have to be balanced very carefully, maybe even moreso since you have another unknown to deal with.

And I'd imagine a lot of people would be turned off if they suddenly changed how half the game works. I doubt they have enough experience with multiplayer anyways.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno about PvP, but I would love to see some kind of optional Demon/Dark Souls online component in P5. Imagine running through a dungeon, and seeing hints left around by other players like "Shadows weak against Ice" or other uninspired, but hopefully useful, commentary. Not really needed though.

That's pretty much what P4G did with its Vox Populi system, except for the elements outside of the dungeons. Hints for actual dungeons would mostly be useless unless the dungeon structure was massively overhauled.

I think you would need to look towards smt for multiplayer IMO. If it happens I think it'll be there first. I just don't see them taking out the time to put multiplayer in a turn based console RPG. A persona Pokémon clone could work but one again that would be SMTs thing. A non suckish mmo could work.

This would make much more sense in an SMT game with fully customizable parties and such, but everyone would just have demons that null/absorb/reflect almost everyting and almost for sure it would devolve into Megidolaon/Antichthon spam.
Well obviously it would have to be balanced around that concept

kiriin

I think the prototype was still turn based. It was more like a seamless transition between dungeon roaming and the battle system. Nevertheless it look extremely fluid imo.

King Fost

Neo Member
Personally I'd like personas to have their old signature attacks in this installment. Like Matador should have Red Capote, Kumbhanda gets Gorge, Hell Biker gets Hell Exhaust/Hell Burner etc. Maybe some of them can be exclusive and others can get passed down.

Also it would be cool if there was a strength/magic split with elemental attacks, kind of like pokemon. What I'm thinking of is Hell Burner could be a Fire based attack that runs off the strength stat/can crit/gets boosted with Power Charge instead of Mind Charge. Maybe there could be various attacks like that.

That's pretty much what P4G did with its Vox Populi system, except for the elements outside of the dungeons. Hints for actual dungeons would mostly be useless unless the dungeon structure was massively overhauled.

Here I am with a sealed copy of P4G without a Vita. What did that do exactly? Sounds like something I killed in Bioshock.

Optional dungeon hints would be appreciated, if just to know what kind of rare items are on certain floors, and what kinda of spells/persona to bring to certain bosses. But we don't know much about P5, so anything is a possibility. What I was trying to get at is if there are online components in P5 I hope they are subtle, possibly community based. PvP sounds awesome, but balance would be an issue.

Personally I'd like personas to have their old signature attacks in this installment. Like Matador should have Red Capote, Kumbhanda gets Gorge, Hell Biker gets Hell Exhaust/Hell Burner etc. Maybe some of them can be exclusive and others can get passed down.

Also it would be cool if there was a strength/magic split with elemental attacks, kind of like pokemon. What I'm thinking of is Hell Burner could be a Fire based attack that runs off the strength stat/can crit/gets boosted with Power Charge instead of Mind Charge. Maybe there could be various attacks like that.

tumblr_msdumtR5hb1rp27xbo1_400.gif

tumblr_msdumtR5hb1rp27xbo2_400.gif

FluxWaveZ

Here I am with a sealed copy of P4G without a Vita. What did that do exactly? Sounds like something I killed in Bioshock.

Optional dungeon hints would be appreciated, if just to know what kind of rare items are on certain floors, and what kinda of spells/persona to bring to certain bosses. But we don't know much about P5, so anything is a possibility. What I was trying to get at is if there are online components in P5 I hope they are subtle, possibly community based. PvP sounds awesome, but balance would be an issue.

Social features of P4G:
The Vox Populi (Voice of the People) and SOS are new additions to the game, available while connected to the PlayStation Network.

- The Vox Populi can be used to see what other players of Persona 4 Golden have chosen to do during the current day in the game. The feature is also available in the Velvet Room to see what personas other players are currently fusing.

- The SOS feature calls other online players for help in dungeons, allows you to send help to others, and is received as a gift of a minor amount of health and spirit. The amount restored by the SOS is very little and isn't restricted by the current health status of your party.

When I speak of dungeon hints, I think about how they were in P3 and P4 and since floors were randomized, those hints wouldn't work. I think the Vox Populi system's method of conveying a general idea of what other people are fusing is good enough for bosses; it wouldn't make sense to straight up have the answer to win any boss fight via hints since the battles were turn-based in the past.

But yeah, we don't know how Persona 5 will be so an in-dungeon hint system could work, if the dungeons were designed to accommodate them.

Beast Eye/Dragon Eye obviously shouldn't be allowed for the players

Finally giving it to players in SMTIV in the form of Guardian's Eye but puting it behind a dlc paywall with the super ultimate boss which is almost, if not impossible to kill without skills you can only have access to with some of the previous dlc super bosses is hilarious.

Lunar15

That remix of "Like a Dream Come True" in Yosuke's trailer is pretty awesome. It starts out fairly simple with just an odd synth, but once the guitar starts up, it's one of the best remixes I've heard of it yet.

Also, Yosuke is awesome in that trailer. He's such a bro. I still to this day can't understand why people don't see the good in his character.

Acid08

Banned
That remix of "Like a Dream Come True" in Yosuke's trailer is pretty awesome. It starts out fairly simple with just an odd synth, but once the guitar starts up, it's one of the best remixes I've heard of it yet.

Also, Yosuke is awesome in that trailer. He's such a bro. I still to this day can't understand why people don't see the good in his character.
I can see it and still hate him!

EMT0

Banned

Because jokes or over-the-top behavior and teenage male insecurity makes you a homophobe, dont'cha know.

Lunar15

Either way, that was beside the point. The point is that the music in this game is really, really awesome.

I need that full version of that "Carousel" song.

EMT0

Banned
Either way, that was beside the point. The point is that the music in this game is really, really awesome.

I need that full version of that "Carousel" song.

Damn straight that's the point. Even if I had stuck to my guns over the chibi, platform rage, and so on, the music would have had me changing tune real quick. Because the stuff they're putting out for this is amazing.

I can see it and still hate him!

I don't think I actively hate any Persona main character. I like Yuka Ayase, I like Reiji Kido, I might not love Ken Amada but I think he can be redeemed, Marie's slink and bonus thing were mediocre to crap, but I think Marie herself is an ok character, and Labrys is pretty damn cool. Sho'Nuff look stupid but his moveset looks ace.

Acid08

Banned
I don't think I actively hate any Persona main character. I like Yuka Ayase, I like Reiji Kido, I might not love Ken Amada but I think he can be redeemed, Marie's slink and bonus thing were mediocre to crap, but I think Marie herself is an ok character, and Labrys is pretty damn cool. Sho'Nuff look stupid but his moveset looks ace.
Hate is probably too strong of a word, he has some good lines here and there. He is a dumb jerk with a stupid face though and he always will be.

Lunar15

This is how I feel about it. I'm not doing backflips over how much I love Chie or anything, but she's still a great character.

Dantis

The only characters that I actually factually dislike are Marie and probably Sho.

Everyone else ranges from 'fine' to 'amazing'.

Caladrius

I can almost never bring myself to dislike a character. I don't understand why.

The only two characters I've ever come to dislike are Terra from Kingdom Hearts and Liara in Mass Effect.

Squire

Banned
New IP, SMTxFE probably won't feature any new SMT designs and IntSys are probably the ones doing the actually development, so I would assume that the FE:A guy is doing the art. This game is likely to be more FE than SMT anyway. Not to mention that Kaneko is more likely to be working on a new IP. He has dabbled into game design before with stuff like Majin Tensei(iirc) so it wouldn't be surprising if is actually directing the title as well.

Deviliser

That's going to have to manifest at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom