• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

This poster's math is where I got the figures from, I thought they were part of the OP at first. I have no idea if his figures are correct but they don't seem unlikely to me at all, considering Golden's opening sales in Japan were 137k.

300k Japan, 400k in the West. Atlus, feed your fans in the scary place across the sea.

Where did that poster even get their P4G numbers? Can't believe it without an actual source.

Regardless, it doesn't matter when the point is that they could gain more western attention, hype and popularity by focusing outside of Japan with things like simultaneous announcements for both audiences such as localization announcements alongside the Japanese ones or an English trailer for a game like PQ posted at the same time as a Japanese one.

I feel that they're getting big enough that they're only doing themselves a disservice by not taking the strategy that other relatively big Japanese devs have with actively showing that they care for the western market as much as the Japanese one in terms of their games.

tumblr_mz8d5jqQQO1rhrwyvo1_500.jpg

Nachos

So how likely do you think it is that Persona Q and/or Devil Survivor 2 BR might be announced for North America during the rumored Nintendo Direct this month? It's hard to say what Atlus USA is doing at all, with them staying quiet and the buyout, but the last game they published was Etrian Odyssey Untold in October. Based on the slinky video, I'd hope they are doing alright, but have either Atlus or Sega issued a press release on whether the US branch will be dissolved?

They've got Conception 2 and Daylight already announced, but I think the relative silence might be because they knew they'd primarily be focusing on this year and are looking to publish as much stuff as quickly as possible.

I'm not promoting the open discussion of spoilers; I'm doing the opposite. People can be as cautious as they want, but I can point to what just happened as well as a prior incident yesterday to indicate how people who haven't finished the game can be annoyed by something they come across that isn't marked. It's just what happens.
Totally misconstrued you then, sorry. Still that should've been directed me towards everyone. We should be welcoming Persona fans of all types, so while it's certainly unavoidable, going at spoilers from the attitude of it being unavoidable isn't really in the spirit if fostering that.

FluxWaveZ

So how likely do you think it is that Persona Q and/or Devil Survivor 2 BR might be announced for North America during the rumored Nintendo Direct this month? It's hard to say what Atlus USA is doing at all, with them staying quiet and the buyout, but the last game they published was Etrian Odyssey Untold in October. Based on the slinky video, I'd hope they are doing alright, but have either Atlus or Sega issued a press release on whether the US branch will be dissolved?

They've got Conception 2 and Daylight already announced, but I think the relative silence might be because they knew they'd primarily be focusing on this year and are looking to publish as much stuff as quickly as possible.

Well, a January Nintendo Direct is still a rumor, but if there is one, I bet there is no way Persona Q is announced there; don't know about DS2. They obviously haven't publicly commented on the Sega buyout situation, but I assume that the Atlus USA localization team is not in any trouble.

I don't know how focusing on publishing as many products as they can and as quickly as they can is a justification for any kind of PR silence, though.

Sophia

Break Record is not getting announced. The game has practically gone MIA in Japan, no way would they suddenly announce it for US.

Break Record is not getting announced. The game has practically gone MIA in Japan, no way would they suddenly announce it for US.

What about that ATLUS Faithful Newsletter that was a few weeks back. You know, the Christmas Card one. That had to be something, because why would DeSu 2 characters show up there when they had no game this year.

Sophia

What about that ATLUS Faithful Newsletter that was a few weeks back. You know, the Christmas Card one.

Most likely just a coincidence. I have a hard time believing they'd announce anything on the game when there has been full on silence from the Japanese side about it. It doesn't even have a release date anymore.

Nachos

I don't know how focusing on publishing as many products as they can and as quickly as they can is a justification for any kind of PR silence, though.

Well, it really wasn't PR silence since it seems like their hands were and still might be tied. Still, if Nintendo is aiming for a Direct with the same amount of content as the one from last January, then I'm sure they have been working with third parties pretty closely. Still, I guess the thing is that we simply don't know. It's like we're still in a desert of information, despite the oasis in November.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The game has been in the works for a while now, so I'm sure there's been a lot of work done on it already, on top of the DS script already being ready. They'll likely outsource the actual dialogue coding like they did with SMT4, so it's possible that the only thing left to do for the US release is to press the cartridges.

Plus, if we assume that the second half of 2014 is for Persona, then it'd make sense to get the game out in Japan during the first half to prevent them from cannibalizing each other's sales. I doubt the US release could be close behind if that's the case.

EOU was announced and released three months after the Japanese release. Plus, it's not like publishers like Atlus aren't used to working tight deadlines. It's all going to depend on how coordinated everyone is.

Squire

Banned
I don't see why PQ couldn't be confirmed in a Nintendo direct. They may as well.

P4A2 will probably get a post on the PS Blog, since it's an exclusive now.

King Fost

Neo Member
Yikes

Mad negativity directed towards FeMC, what's up with that? Seriously.

Tatsuya>FeMC>Yu>Maya>Makoto

I don't know anything about P1 so I can't really comment on Naoya. I heard the manga does good stuff with him in a similar way the Animation did with Yu.

I actually like Maya, but she just doesn't work as a silent protagonist. My main beef with EP is that Tatsuya and Maya were much better suited in their old roles.

Tatsuya is the best because honestly, he's just as dorky as his brother. I like his bad haircut and his lectures about manliness and his weird attempts at impressions. I liked his unspoken reactions the best though (like at the beginning of the game when Lisa is trying to borrow him from Ms Saeko).

I think it's important to note that unlike the mainline SMT games, the protagonists in Persona do kind of have their own personalities; they can be influenced defined by the player but they're still kind of present and it makes them distinct. Tatsuya's very shy and stoic, Makoto is passive and kind of cold (or just out of it in the manga), FeMC is upbeat and one of the kinder protagonists, Yu is kind of whimsical, and Maya is LET'S POSITIVE THINKING!

Although I wonder if the protagonists are more distinct in the other more story driven spin-offs. I found Serph had kind of a personality, just a more understated one.

Sophia

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The game has been in the works for a while now, so I'm sure there's been a lot of work done on it already, on top of the DS script already being ready. They'll likely outsource the actual dialogue coding like they did with SMT4, so it's possible that the only thing left to do for the US release is to press the cartridges.

Plus, if we assume that the second half of 2014 is for Persona, then it'd make sense to get the game out in Japan during the first half to prevent them from cannibalizing each other's sales. I doubt the US release could be close behind if that's the case.

EOU was announced and released three months after the Japanese release. Plus, it's not like publishers like Atlus aren't used to working tight deadlines. It's all going to depend on how coordinated everyone is.

Again, all your assumptions only work if the game actually had a release date. It doesn't. I seriously doubt we'll hear anything about it until the Japanese release date is announced.

I guess there is the slim possibility that the released date could be announced simultaneously in a JP/US Nintendo Direct, but I would think Persona Q would be coming sooner seeing as it's actually set to be released in Japan and hasn't been mostly forgotten about.

FluxWaveZ

They're not stupid; I believe it's probably a coy tease that they are indeed working on the game. Still, it's not official and it doesn't give us a release time frame.

Squire

Banned
Look closer; There's a character from Break Record in the logo. Something that hasn't been announced yet. I think it's just a coincidence myself.

Look at the A, there is the Devil Survivor 2 Protaganist and that new character that was announced for Break Record.(I don't remember what her name was)

Oh, I got that. It's almost certainly a deliberate tease for the eagle-eyed.

It is their holiday card as well though! ^_^

Dantis

heeeeere i staaaaaaaaaaaaand
and
heeeeeeere i staaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy
let the stoooooooorm raaaaaaaaaage ooooooooooooooooooooooooon
the cold never bothered me anyway

Best song.

sadly...yes

I mean its good especially Rise, but aren't those two characters sisters or something? wouldn't Yukiko and Chie fit better? Especially cuz Chie does the ice magickz and Yukiko's name means snow
I guess I could have done Yukiko dressed as Elsa and Chie as Anna? Chie wouldn't have worked as Elsa at all though.

I either way, I like drawing Naoto and I never draw Rise, so that's why I chose them.

He's doing the Naoto x Rise 'shipping thing now? WOW.

I really need to see Frozen.

They're sisters. You're sick.

And you should see it. It's the best.

Dantis

Just saw this on Tumblr on my Frozen picture, and it's actually pretty good!

You know…their characters kinda fit. Elsa and Naoto are characters who are fearful of ridicule and don’t fully accept...

I hadn't made the connection, but it works, to a point. It even fits the songs:

"Conceal, don't feel, put on a show, make one wrong move and everyone will know"

I should have claimed that this was my intention the whole time!

pin-up competitionnnnnnnn

Things I want to draw first:

P4 characters in Super Sentai outfits.

P4 ladies in FeMC style scarf, sweater, skirt and leggings.

P2IS characters in more modern fashion.

After that, maybe I'll draw a pinup picture and ruin whatever small reputation I have.

"Conceal, don't feel, put on a show, make one wrong move and everyone will know"

After that, maybe I'll draw a pinup picture and ruin whatever small reputation I have.
Psyched for the p2 characters

PK Gaming

Tatsuya>FeMC>Yu>Maya>Makoto

I don't know anything about P1 so I can't really comment on Naoya. I heard the manga does good stuff with him in a similar way the Animation did with Yu.

I actually like Maya, but she just doesn't work as a silent protagonist. My main beef with EP is that Tatsuya and Maya were much better suited in their old roles.

Tatsuya is the best because honestly, he's just as dorky as his brother. I like his bad haircut and his lectures about manliness and his weird attempts at impressions. I liked his unspoken reactions the best though (like at the beginning of the game when Lisa is trying to borrow him from Ms Saeko).

I think it's important to note that unlike the mainline SMT games, the protagonists in Persona do kind of have their own personalities; they can be influenced defined by the player but they're still kind of present and it makes them distinct. Tatsuya's very shy and stoic, Makoto is passive and kind of cold (or just out of it in the manga), FeMC is upbeat and one of the kinder protagonists, Yu is kind of whimsical, and Maya is LET'S POSITIVE THINKING!

Although I wonder if the protagonists are more distinct in the other more story driven spin-offs. I found Serph had kind of a personality, just a more understated one.
LL

I couldn't agree with you more

kewlmyc

P2 characters need some love.

I have a feeling that of the three things I listed, the P2 one will get the most hatred from certain people.

It's also the last one I'm doing of the three. Sweaters first. Then Sentai. Then P2.
I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that the p2 characters are dressed nice, anything you do will likely be a improvement over the original designs tbh. I wouldn't really worry about any hate.

fertygo

Someone maybe gonna spite me for this.. but I'm kinda wish in FAR future Doi and Soejima trading role.

Doi handling Persona and Soejima handling SMT

Maybeeee for P7 and SMTVI

EMT0

Banned
Someone maybe gonna spite me for this.. but I'm kinda wish in FAR future Doi and Soejima trading role.

Doi handling Persona and Soejima handling SMT

Maybeeee for P7 and SMTVI

I wouldn't mind seeing Soejima working on SMT at all. But only if the rest of the Holy Persona Trifecta goes along with him; have Atlus call it a one-time experiment that they hope will draw Persona fans into the rest of SMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom