• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't mind seeing Soejima working on SMT at all. But only if the rest of the Holy Persona Trifecta goes along with him; have Atlus call it a one-time experiment that they hope will draw Persona fans into the rest of SMT.

Drawing Persona fans into mainline SMT games would follow their current strategy of involving Persona characters in a game whose structure would be akin to mainline SMT which would be... Persona?

I don't get the point.

EMT0

Banned
Drawing Persona fans into mainline SMT games would follow their current strategy of involving Persona characters in a game whose structure would be akin to mainline SMT which would be... Persona?

I don't get the point.

Attaching their all-star team that makes their best-selling games to a lesser performing brand in order to a) experiment and b) draw in fans of said all-stars?

FluxWaveZ

Attaching their all-star team that makes their best-selling games to a lesser performing brand in order to a) experiment and b) draw in fans of said all-stars?

Do you think that the staff is really that important in terms of their games' success? The P-Studio has their own distinct style, sure, and that would reflect on an SMT game they would work on, but I don't think that that would serve to draw in fans specifically of the Persona series.

Gazoinks

I don't think I have ever seen anyone say that the p2 characters are dressed nice, anything you do will likely be a improvement over the original designs tbh. I wouldn't really worry about any hate.

Eh, most of the P2 characters look fine, imo. Lisa, Tatsuya, Jun, and Yukino all just look like people. Eikichi dresses weirdly, but for obvious reasons. Katsuya's alright, Baofu looks like an idiot but it's part of the persona he uses. Only ones that really stand out from the main cast are Maya and Ulala, imo.

Brown, though... Yeah.

EMT0

Banned
Do you think that the staff is really that important in terms of their games' success? The P-Studio has their own distinct style, sure, and that would reflect on an SMT game they would work on, but I don't think that that would serve to draw in fans specifically of the Persona series.

I think it'd help, especially with marketing that involved 'From the makers of Persona 3, 4, and 5' or 'From Persona Team'. Whether it's a good use of P-Studio's time is its own topic. It is something I'd like to see though.

Someone maybe gonna spite me for this.. but I'm kinda wish in FAR future Doi and Soejima trading role.

Doi handling Persona and Soejima handling SMT

Maybeeee for P7 and SMTVI
I prefer nocturne over SMT1/2/4's approach, I just don't see Soejima coming up with a interesting concept for another nocturne like title. Doi is also kinda wack when it comes to character designs IMO. His stuff just isn't memorable and I would hate for persona to be super bland.

I wouldn't mind seeing Soejima working on SMT at all. But only if the rest of the Holy Persona Trifecta goes along with him; have Atlus call it a one-time experiment that they hope will draw Persona fans into the rest of SMT.
Nah, as mentioned above, I want Soejima (and doi) to stay the fuck away from mainline SMT. As far as the as the rest of the "trifecta" goes(Meguro and Hashino) they have already made nocturne. And iirc Atlus R&D 1 is now the persona team (who are responsible for things like Nocturne and soul hackers).

Eh, most of the P2 characters look fine, imo. Lisa, Tatsuya, Jun, and Yukino all just look like people. Eikichi dresses weirdly, but for obvious reasons. Katsuya's alright, Baofu looks like an idiot but it's part of the persona he uses. Only ones that really stand out from the main cast are Maya and Ulala, imo.

Brown, though... Yeah.

I don't even really think Ulala stands out, she just has a gothic sense of fashion, Maya canonically had no sense of fashion, who bought an entire outfit for like 10 yen, and let's Ulala pick out her wardrobe. I dunno which lead to her kutfit, but apparently she only wears it for interviews. Brown is brown.

FluxWaveZ

I think it'd help, especially with marketing that involved 'From the makers of Persona 3, 4, and 5' or 'From Persona Team'. Whether it's a good use of P-Studio's time is its own topic. It is something I'd like to see though.

Yeah, I think it would be mostly up to the marketing. If they wanted to experiment again, I think I'd rather see them do their own thing like Catherine rather than having to work with an established IP.

And iirc Atlus R&D 1 is now the persona team (who are responsible for things like Nocturne and soul hackers).

R&D1? Where is that from? And why does the P Studio's logo say that they're Atlus' Creative department 2nd production and not 1st if that's true?

Gazoinks

I prefer nocturne over SMT1/2/4's approach, I just don't see Soejima coming up with a interesting concept for another nocturne like title. Doi is also kinda wack when it comes to character designs IMO. His stuff just isn't memorable and I would hate for persona to be super bland.

I agree that Doi's character designs aren't great, but I actually quite like his art itself. It has a real sense of warmth and life to the characters he draws. It's like the exact opposite of Kaneko (that comment shouldn't be taken as a value judgement :p).

The staff is definitely important to a game's success. Without their hard work, we would not be getting amazing games. I would be more inclined to follow and buy certain games based on the teams that work on them.

Example: When Clover was dissolved by Capcom and those guys became Platinum.

This.

I'll gladly look into getting a game from the makers of P3, 4, and 5. Great marketing I think.

Yeah, I think it would be mostly up to the marketing. If they wanted to experiment again, I think I'd rather see them do their own thing like Catherine rather than having to work with an established IP.

R&D1? Where is that from? And why does the P Studio's logo say that they're Atlus' Creative department 2nd production and not 1st if that's true?

Atlus R&D1 dismantled at the end of Digital Devil Saga, when Cozy Okada and Satomi Tadashi left.

FluxWaveZ

The staff is definitely important to a game's success. Without their hard work, we would not be getting amazing games. I would be more inclined to follow and buy certain games based on the teams that work on them.

I'm not talking about the staff's work, I'm talking about the name of the staff themselves towards the point of specifically attracting Persona fans to the mainline SMT genre. I guarantee you that most people who have bought Persona games do not even know who "Katsura Hashino" is.

Atlus R&D1 dismantled at the end of Digital Devil Saga, when Cozy Okada and Satomi Tadashi left.

Ah, I see.

Ah nvm, I assumed because hashino was there (who did nocturne), that team was the one on the persona games.
Atlus R&D1 dismantled at the end of Digital Devil Saga, when Kozy Okada and Satomi Tadashi left.
Ah i see

This.

I'll gladly look into getting a game from the makers of P3, 4, and 5. Great marketing I think.
Play nocturne

EMT0

Banned
I'm not talking about the staff's work, I'm talking about the name of the staff themselves towards the point of specifically attracting Persona fans to the mainline SMT genre. I guarantee you that most people who have bought Persona games do not even know who "Katsura Hashino" is.

Pretty much this. I only learned of the Holy Trifecta by joining PersonaGAF. Hashino directs the awesome, Meguro makes the beats, Soejima draws the style. Although formally making a P-Team is a damn good way to actually get wider recognition beyond the super enthusiasts.

Here is a more in depth post by Duckroll circa when Index was still alive:

There are currently only two development studios in the Index Consumer Software Division. There's the 1st Production Studio and the 2nd Production Studio.

The 1st Production Studio is where most of the games come from. EO games, Devil Survivor games, SMT4, whatever else.

The 2nd Production Studio is Hashino's Persona team which is its own thing now. They produced P4, P3P, P4G, P4 Arena, and Catherine. They are currently working on Persona 5.

In the past it was a single production studio when it was Atlus R&D1. After Cozy Okada left, Hashino produced almost everything for a time, as well as directing many of them - Maken X, SMT3, DDS, P3, EO1, etc. But as they started to have more output, and as Persona became increasingly popular, they split the Persona team into its own secondary studio.

Actual teams seem to be formed on a project to project basis, so there are no fixed teams other than those which make sense when it comes to pumping out sequels. When a series stops getting sequels, the team members are moved onto other projects.

Pretty much this. I only learned of the Holy Trifecta by joining PersonaGAF. Hashino directs the awesome, Meguro makes the beats, Soejima draws the style. Although formally making a P-Team is a damn good way to actually get wider recognition beyond the super enthusiasts.
As long as SMT remains hard core, it'll never be popular beyond "super enthusiasts". Nothing wrong with catering to that market either, Dark souls did 2.3 million off of super enthusiasts and word of mouth.

MSMrRound

As long as SMT remains hard core, it'll never be popular beyond "super enthusiasts".

The bundle deal with Fire Emblem Awakening would have helped to boost its popularity somewhat, I would imagine.

Wish there was some way I could have claimed that offer...(no dedicated e-shop service in my country)

Yeah, you're right, most people don't know who the talent is behind the games, which is a shame. That being said, I would be more inclined to try games of the "mainline SMT genre" if the Persona team was working on them.

Play nocturne

Why Nocturne specifically? That game was reprinted right? Been meaning to track a copy.

Yeah, you're right, most people don't know who the talent is behind the games, which is a shame. That being said, I would be more inclined to try games of the "mainline SMT genre" if the Persona team was working on them.

Why Nocturne specifically? That game was reprinted right? Been meaning to track a copy.

The guy who made persona and the guy who does the music in persona, made that game.

FluxWaveZ

Two others I feel don't get mentioned a lot who are important to the P Studio are Yuichiro Tanaka, the actual scenario writer, and Kazuhisa Wada, the chief designer who also works as director at times.

Having an actual trademark and logo and everything definitely facilitates mentioning the specific team responsible for the modern Persona games and contributes to their recognition. It was neat seeing the logo pop up in all of the trailers on Nov. 24 instead of being relegated to the back of the P4A and P4G boxes without any mention.

The reason the logo was probably not officially shown before the event was probably because it hadn't actually been trademarked until October 19, 2012, now that I think about it.

FluxWaveZ

The 1st Production Studio is where most of the games come from. EO games, Devil Survivor games, SMT4, whatever else.

The 2nd Production Studio is Hashino's Persona team which is its own thing now. They produced P4, P3P, P4G, P4 Arena, and Catherine. They are currently working on Persona 5.

This makes sense, though I often hear the team specifically responsible for the mainline SMT games as "Team Maniax", so the 1st Production might have sub-groups, though unofficial. I wonder if there are any rivalries or interesting banter between teams.

Lunar15

I hope he's doing art for SMTV or Devil Summoner 5

Yeah, but we haven't heard about either of those, to my knowledge. SMTxFE is (apparently) coming, so I'd hope he submitted some stuff.

I wonder what a Kaneko-style Ike would look like. Would I even want to know?

I hope the reason we haven't seen much from Kaneko recently is because he's doing the art for SMTxFE.

New IP, SMTxFE probably won't feature any new SMT designs and IntSys are probably the ones doing the actually development, so I would assume that the FE:A guy is doing the art. This game is likely to be more FE than SMT anyway. Not to mention that Kaneko is more likely to be working on a new IP. He has dabbled into game design before with stuff like Majin Tensei(iirc) so it wouldn't be surprising if is actually directing the title as well.

Depends on your patience for near-endless random encounters and labyrinthine dungeons.

This is the reason why I've avoided mainline SMT games for so long honestly. Persona is the only series related to the SMT games that I've played where I could just skip unneeded battles by avoiding enemies on field Chrono Cross style.

This is the reason why I've avoided mainline SMT games for so long honestly. Persona is the only series related to the SMT games that I've played where I could just skip unneeded battles by avoiding enemies on field Chrono Cross style.

Nocturne's random encounters are very tame and honestly, the combat is so fucking good that you'll want to stay in battle. And if random encounters are a problem, play SMT 4, it's a good game.

So it's like Final Fantasy, different games, but familiar, and recurring themes? I wish I was 12 again and had all the time in the world to play games with high encounter rates.

yes

FluxWaveZ

Where the fuck is P4D? In my top 3 most anticipated games for 2014 and we haven't really seen much from it. It's coming out in September right?

All we know is that it's coming out in autumn 2014. They're obviously pacing themselves in terms of information because of all of the games they've got going on.

Evidently, PQ is the current focus because that's the game that's coming out the soonest and was the only game out of the four announced at the event to have an actual release date. After that, or somewhat concurrently, P4A2 will probably have most of the info coming out. Then P4D and P5.

It'd be funny if they each had a specific day of the week for updates, though. PQ is always Friday and P4U2 has been mostly Thursdays thus far.

Also, for some reason when they announced #Re:birth I had got it in my head that the new Persona magazine was going to be monthly, but that's obviously not the case.

MSMrRound

I wonder if P4D will be PSVitaTV compatible. If it is, I might just decide to pick a PSVitaTV unit up when it's launching over here tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom