• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

They say it was the UMD's and there is not only less songs, but the songs that are in there are cut in length, for example, this remix:

Ice Castle Dungeon

Ice Castle

Now both songs are 2 mintues, but the PS1 song doesnt loop the entire 2 minutes, the PSP one loops once at 1 minute and again at the end, they cut out entire sections of songs in the remixes. This is by far one of the best remixes on the new OST btw, love it.

Hm, that remix is pretty nice. I think I like the original more though, more atmospheric and groovy. Who was the PS1 OST by?

IMO, one of the biggest casualties of the new OST happens early on. So in the original, you had this song:

Abandoned Factory

A nice and cerebral sounding beat for the Abandoned Factory dungeon.

The remake had this:

Abandoned Factory/Police Station

Not a bad update, though the original doesnt loop at all and is 2:53, where as this song just loops at 50 seconds, but notice how I put Abandoned Factory/Police Station.

Yea the original OST had a completely original song for the Police Station, where as the Remake just uses this song for both of those locations, and the original Police Station theme is one of my favorites in the game:

Police Station

Hm, that remix is pretty nice. I think I like the original more though, more atmospheric and groovy. Who was the PS1 OST by?

Here is a track by track basis on who made what:

Hidehito Aoki
Disc1: 04, 06~08, 13, 18, 21, 25, 31, 34
Disc2: 07, 09, 15, 22, 26, 30
Disc3: 01, 12, 18, 25

Shoji Meguro
Disc1: 02, 10, 14, 16, 22, 26, 28, 33, 35, 36, 37
Disc2: 03, 05, 06, 14, 18, 21, 25, 29, 32, 38
Disc3: 02~04, 09, 21, 31, 32

Kenichi Tsuchiya
Disc1: 03, 05, 09, 15, 19, 23, 24, 27, 30, 32
Disc2: 02, 04, 13, 16, 27, 28, 33~37
Disc3: 05, 06, 08, 11, 19, 20, 22, 26, 29, 30, 34
Disc4: 01

Misaki Okibe
Disc1: 01, 11, 12, 17, 20, 29
Disc2: 01, 08, 10~12, 17, 19, 20, 23, 24, 31
Disc3: 07, 10, 13~17, 23, 24, 27, 28, 33
Disc4: 04

Toshiko Tasaki
Disc4: 02, 05

Masaki Kurokawa
Disc4: 03

Disc 3-14 "Satomi Tadashi Drugstore Song"
Lyrics: Misaki Okibe
Vocal: Hidehito Aoki

Haha

You cannot hope to resist Teddie's charms, it's impossible!

(he gets even better)

I think my favorite Teddie moment ever is when (spoilers)

Yosuke gave his big speech in the TV world right before going to the last dungeon and Teddie goes "eww Yosuke always has to try to make himself look all cool.. it makes my skin crawl" or something like that

I burst out laughing for like 30 seconds

cjkeats

IMO, one of the biggest casualties of the new OST happens early on. So in the original, you had this song:

Abandoned Factory

A nice and cerebral sounding beat for the Abandoned Factory dungeon.

The remake had this:

Abandoned Factory/Police Station

Not a bad update, though the original doesnt loop at all and is 2:53, where as this song just loops at 50 seconds, but notice how I put Abandoned Factory/Police Station.

Yea the original OST had a completely original song for the Police Station, where as the Remake just uses this song for both of those locations, and the original Police Station theme is one of my favorites in the game:

Police Station
Ayase's theme is one of my favourites. Damn good.

The character portraits for the main cast are literally just cropped versions of Kaneko's full designs.
Ah, okay thx.
This is factually wrong, School Days is the best song in the game.
It's aight, doesn't fit the game at all though.

^That was Persona 2

WHICH DO YOU PREFER PEOPLE:

City 1- Post Disaster

Let the Butterflies Spread Unto the Dawn

Now both are pretty ok in my book, but the issue is that the song never changes in P1P, it is always LtBSUtD, meanwhile in Revelations Persona:

City 2- Accident

Likewise, in the original, the school had its own theme and the town too, where as in SMT Persona, the school and the city have the same song playing. This is an issue that plauges the PSP version, I think it has less than half the number of music tracks the original had, so now you have dungeons with repeated songs and completely unfitting songs for some situations.

keats pls no
OG P1 map theme is way better. On it's own, the map theme of P1P is fine but in the game it's like noise pollution IMO. It's like they literally picked the most unfitting song possible. Battle theme is aight and boss theme is okay. Meguro tried to hard to make it fit in with modern persona without taking the tone and atmosphere into account.

Swedesu

This song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_4kAybjHI is in the PS1 version so it kinda wins by default.

I love both of the soundtracks though, but they differ greatly when it comes to the feeling they invoke. It almost feels like two different games some times. But both of them get pretty dark by the end, anything else would be strange considering what happens.

They both work, but I slightly prefer the PS1 version's ost.

This song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_4kAybjHI is in the PS1 version so it kinda wins by default.

I love both of the soundtracks though, but they differ greatly when it comes to the feeling they invoke. It almost feels like two different games some times. But both of them get pretty dark by the end, anything else would be strange considering what happens.

They both work, but I slightly prefer the PS1 version's ost.

MEANWHILE, IN THAT PORT OF PERSONA 2 ETERNAL PUNISHMENT WE NEVER GOT:

Deadline

Lunar15

Based Laura has such range, man. Girl can play the cute girl next door one day and the eldritch Cloud of Darkness the next.

Troy and Laura really make their characters shine in the english verison. The japanese VA's are good, I think the english VA's smartly went in a warmer direction. They did a good job of sticking to who the characters are while giving a more western context to them. For example, Kanji is a punk, but japanese punks are usually stereotyped with higher pitched yelling. Troy plays his closer to how we'd imagine a bully in the west, at least when you first meet him.

Localization did a great job of playing up to the VA's strengths rather than going for an exact representation of the japanese version.

CorvoSol

Troy and Laura really make their characters shine in the english verison. The japanese VA's are good, I think the english VA's smartly went in a warmer direction. They did a good job of sticking to who the characters are while giving a more western context to them. For example, Kanji is a punk, but japanese punks are usually stereotyped with higher pitched yelling. Troy plays his closer to how we'd imagine a bully in the west, at least when you first meet him.

Localization did a great job of playing up to the VA's strengths rather than going for an exact representation of the japanese version.

Oh yeah, Troy Baker's not bad at all, either. Like, I HATE Snow Villiers, but there's a video of Troy and Ali making fun of Snow and Lightning fighting a giant turtle and it really endeared them to me.

Speaking of, I was blown away to hear that Ali Hillis was Burroughs. Just totally different sound to me.

Swedesu

MEANWHILE, IN THAT PORT OF PERSONA 2 ETERNAL PUNISHMENT WE NEVER GOT:

Deadline

They killed the best part :(

h46CC1137

Dave Wittenberg's Teddie vs Sam Riegel's Teddie.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

They're very similar, and both pretty good, I gotta say I like Wittenberg's a little better though, less whiney voice.

Oh yeah, Troy Baker's not bad at all, either. Like, I HATE Snow Villiers, but there's a video of Troy and Ali making fun of Snow and Lightning fighting a giant turtle and it really endeared them to me.

Speaking of, I was blown away to hear that Ali Hillis was Burroughs. Just totally different sound to me.

wow is there a link to this? That sounds hilarious.

Daimaou

They're very similar, and both pretty good, I gotta say I like Wittenberg's a little better though, less whiney voice.

I think Riegel fits the character better, overall. Wittenberg you can kind of tell it's a middle aged man making a cartoony voice. However, Wittenberg has better delivery on some lines.

cjkeats

I've completely forgotten what old Teddie sounds like. If that Arena trailer didn't have that Teddie voice that sounded like Yosuke trying to do a Teddie impression, I probably wouldn't even know he changed.

Meia

Laura Bailey voices Rise?

WAIFU'D SO FAST. Chie and Yukiko who?

Hope you're not going after her after picking one of the first two, you'll regret it later. :p

I don't think I've heard a bad thing Laura Bailey's ever done, it's all good. Best character in VLR too. :D

CorvoSol

wow is there a link to this? That sounds hilarious.

STEEL GUARD!

Hope you're not going after her after picking one of the first two, you'll regret it later. :p

I don't think I've heard a bad thing Laura Bailey's ever done, it's all good. Best character in VLR too. :D

1. I'm ditching Yukiko's sorry ass by the curb for New Girl, yes. No regrets.

2. Yes, she did play the best
villain
in VLR.

Moonlight

Banned
Phi is the best, I have to say. But Luna is still a phenomenal character
with an absolutely tragic ending.

Laura Bailey voices Rise?

WAIFU'D SO FAST. Chie and Yukiko who?
You've made the right choice. Laura Bailey is phenomenal, and hugely enhances Rise as a character with the quality of her performance. I don't want to say that Kugimiya did a bad job with her, because she didn't, but in the fine line between perkiness and irritation, she risked getting grating (you need only look at P4A for this) and generally came across as a bit artificial. Some of that might have been the point, I figure, but that didn't really fade throughout and generally made the character feel a bit more alien that I imagine was the intent. Bailey injects tons of authenticity, confidence, and real charisma into the character, whether she's hopping in or out of her more bubbly idol persona. I don't think I'd like Rise nearly as much as I do if Bailey weren't behind her.

You've made the right choice. Laura Bailey is phenomenal, and hugely enhances Rise as a character with the quality of her performance. I don't want to say that Kugimiya did a bad job with her, because she didn't, but in the fine line between perkiness and irritation, she risked getting grating (you need only look at P4A for this). Bailey injects tons of authenticity, confidence, and real charisma into the character, whether she's hopping in or out of her more bubbly idol persona. I don't think I'd like Rise nearly as much as I do if Bailey weren't behind her.

This post is 100% true

second best female character in the game.

Dantis

Dave Wittenberg is definitely the superior Teddie, he makes the adorable moments stand out more IMO.

I felt like Riegel was more zany and had less range (Probably because it was an imitation of the original). I liked Wittenberg a lot more, too.

PK Gaming

Phi is the best, I have to say. But Luna is still a phenomenal character
with an absolutely tragic ending.

You've made the right choice. Laura Bailey is phenomenal, and hugely enhances Rise as a character with the quality of her performance. I don't want to say that Kugimiya did a bad job with her, because she didn't, but in the fine line between perkiness and irritation, she risked getting grating (you need only look at P4A for this) and generally came across as a bit artificial. Some of that might have been the point, I figure, but that didn't really fade throughout and generally made the character feel a bit more alien that I imagine was the intent. Bailey injects tons of authenticity, confidence, and real charisma into the character, whether she's hopping in or out of her more bubbly idol persona. I don't think I'd like Rise nearly as much as I do if Bailey weren't behind her.
R3IgFgd.png

kewlmyc

I felt like Riegel was more zany and had less range (Probably because it was an imitation of the original). I liked Wittenberg a lot more, too.

Unlike the Chie arguments, I can't really pick one Teddie over the other since they're so similar. I had to go back and watch clips of the original P4 just to remember how the original differed from the current Teddie.

Speaking of VLR
TBH, the only character I did not really like was Sigma. And that was mostly because of him so overly perveted towards Phi, Clover, and Luna. It was okay like once or twice, but after that it kinda grated on my nerves a little.

In Famitsu this week:
A Vita rhythm game about high school girls dancing; information on a PS3 title that's a highly anticipated sequel to a popular franchise; Dark Souls II; and readers vote on what titles they think will make a big splash in 2014. Don't miss it!

*Editor's note: None of these things are related to Persona. I mean, it's possible Persona-related material will show up, but these things that are specifically advertised on the website are not Persona-related. It's pretty likely P5 will be on that list, sure, but don't get too excited for any actual information.

kewlmyc

I'm feeling pretty bad right now for finding everyone in VLR rather unlikeable.

Phi was mostly okay, I guess.

You shouldn't feel that bad. Most of the characters come off as unlikable until you go through their routes and find out their motivations (except Dio, fuck that guy). Not sure why you found Luna unlikable. You must have shit tastes like more outspoken characters.

In Famitsu this week:
A Vita rhythm game about high school girls dancing; information on a PS3 title that's a highly anticipated sequel to a popular franchise; Dark Souls II; and readers vote on what titles they think will make a big splash in 2014. Don't miss it!

*Editor's note: None of these things are related to Persona. I mean, it's possible Persona-related material will show up, but these things that are specifically advertised on the website are not Persona-related. It's pretty likely P5 will be on that list, sure, but don't get too excited for any actual information.

MOTHERFUCKING TUESDAYS ARE BACK!

I swear they word these things like that on purpose.

Sophia

In Famitsu this week:

Turnip pls. :O

You shouldn't feel that bad. Most of the characters come off as unlikable until you go through their routes and find out their motivations (except Dio, fuck that guy). Not sure why you found Luna unlikable. You must have shit tastes like more outspoken characters.

MOTHERFUCKING TUESDAYS ARE BACK!

I swear they word these things like that on purpose.

The wording is all my doing. The first one is Sega's Project 575, and the second is Sengoku Basara 4, because this is the Japanese game industry this millennium, just a nonstop stream of Basara and Musou titles.

I suppose I could have added "Coming Winter 2014" to the Basara one, since it comes out in a few weeks, but that would have been too mean, don't you think?

kewlmyc

The wording is all my doing. The first one is Sega's Project 575, and the second is Sengoku Basara 4, because this is the Japanese game industry this millennium, just a nonstop stream of Basara and Musou titles.

Bravo, I actually believed it. Shows how big of trolls Famitsu are.

Dantis

I've been through all the routes. Incredible game, unlikeable characters.

Alice and Clover were just stupid also.

Dantis

In Famitsu this week:

I took this stupid post seriously at first and now I'm sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom