• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

VLR's cast wasn't as good as 999. (Though in a game where the Prisoner's Dilemma is a substantial recurring plot point, a cast full of likable characters wouldn't have been a good start)

Dantis

VLR's cast wasn't as good as 999. (Though in a game where the Prisoner's Dilemma is a substantial recurring plot point, a cast full of likable characters wouldn't have been a good start)

In 999 I liked everyone except the antagonist, to a point.

They mega ruined Clover. Awful. And don't get me started on how they ruined a certain somebody else.

Akane was a really great character. Loved the interactions with her and Junpei.

Jintor

On that, at least, we can agree. I liked Phi though but no story resolution.

I didn't really think they ruined Clover so much as she kinda remained in stasis in terms of her char development, which REALLY SUCKED.

Dantis

Her story of what had happened to her between the games was way too fucking dumb.

Hated it.

999 is another thing I should do crossover art with.

Basically I want to draw Persona characters dressed as everyone.

Lunar15

Her story of what had happened to her between the games was way too fucking dumb.

Hated it.

999 is another thing I should do crossover art with.

Basically I want to draw Persona characters dressed as everyone.

It's a shame you don't play Fire Emblem, at least, the older ones that is. I can't remember if you ended up playing Awakening or not. Wasn't as much of a fan of Awakening's style, though.

Squire

Banned
tumblr_inline_mh49lpL0Qs1qdrue1.jpg

Man, I need to play that game. Just waiting on 999 for iOS.

Dantis

Man, I need to play that game. Just waiting on 999 for iOS.

Not got an original DS? Because 999 is stunning.

Everyone talks about how great VLR is, but I thought 999 was a lot better. Probably the best actual plot in any videogame I've ever played.

It's a shame you don't play Fire Emblem, at least, the older ones that is. I can't remember if you ended up playing Awakening or not. Wasn't as much of a fan of Awakening's style, though.

I've played Awakening, but that's all. Some of the designs are good.

Squire

Banned

Everyone talks about how great VLR is, but I thought 999 was a lot better. Probably the best actual plot in any videogame I've ever played.

No, I traded in my DS and PSP years ago. Neither served me well.

I think you guys are being flippant. When it came out on iOS in Japan people said it was fine, even if the twists were softened as Scrafty said. It'll be fine, for my purposes.

In 999 I liked everyone except the antagonist, to a point.

They mega ruined Clover. Awful. And don't get me started on how they ruined a certain somebody else.

Akane was a really great character. Loved the interactions with her and Junpei.

My sister absolutely hates Akane.

And Phi.

She doesn't like the mysterious Zero Escape female characters apparently.

Hell fucking yeah it is.

I keep saying it, it makes the best damn use of the dual screens. Ever.

King Fost

Neo Member
I've played Awakening, but that's all. Some of the designs are good.

Yeah, Awakening's style is very different from the rest of the series. It's a lot more stylized and uses more anime motifs in proportions and outfits. The older Fire Emblems tend to have a more grounded character design; it's drawn like an anime but the outfits tend to be more practical and functional and even the more fanservicey stuff is pretty tame compared to Awakening's. I personally prefer the pre-Awakening designs but there's some stuff I like in the new stuff (shirtless fighters <3).

Think you'd like Senri Kita, she did the art for Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn

Dantis

Fucking Creative Uncut.

Wait, works for me. Weird.

Doesnt work for me. That IS weird.

Either way, I looked up some of the characters based on the names in the links. It's cool art. Micaiah would totally work as a Persona character.

Doesn't really matter that I haven't played it. I'll draw anything that looks cool or interesting. Any time you have a suggestion, hit me, man!

Yeah, Awakening's style is very different from the rest of the series. It's a lot more stylized and uses more anime motifs in proportions and outfits. The older Fire Emblems tend to have a more grounded character design; it's drawn like an anime but the outfits tend to be more practical and functional and even the more fanservicey stuff is pretty tame compared to Awakening's. I personally prefer the pre-Awakening designs but there's some stuff I like in the new stuff (shirtless fighters <3).

Think you'd like Senri Kita, she did the art for Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
Kozaki's an amazing artist, but his stuff's pretty out there. The only designs in Awakening I really, really like off the top of my head are Chrom's and Lucina's.

Jintor

I have to say though I actually find a lot of visual novels difficult to play for purely typographical reasons. If you're going to do a lot of reading, and the reading is laid out in... fucking machine-talk font with horrific inconsistent spacing and... blargh.

Sophia

She liked Luna.

To be fair, I like most all of the 999/VLR characters. They're all real damn good.

Everyone likes Luna tho.... :S

I gotta say, when the second screen in Nintendo handhelds has almost exclusively been used for item management and/or map screens from day one, that's not saying that much.

I still want to know if Persona Q is going to make use of Etrian Odyssey style mappings or not. A lot of information in the trailers is crammed up in the top screen so they're clearly doing something with it.

cjkeats

I still want to know if Persona Q is going to make use of Etrian Odyssey style mappings or not. A lot of information in the trailers is crammed up in the top screen so they're clearly doing something with it.

I'm dying to know this too. On one hand, I love the map drawing in EO. On the other hand, I can see it not being used here and I don't think it would be so bad if they didn't.
We haven;t seen much gameplay though either. I don;t think we've seen a single dungeon screen. Just battles and cutscenes.
You say that like that stuff isn't inherently useful.

Not the most creative uses, but certainly the most useful.

Squire

Banned
You say that like that stuff isn't inherently useful.

Eh. It's useful. I don't know, I guess it always felt like a waste of potential to me. I feel like Nintendo has perfected the art of introducing a gimmick, but it's their brands and the purity of their game design that keeps people coming back. No one really gives two shits about a second screen, motion controls, or 3D.

But I should say I also just don't mind pulling up menus on a single screen, myself. It's useful as you say, I was just never bothered and I'm still not.

Lunar15

Weirdly, Nintendo has been the best at finding creative, non gimmicky ways to use all of those things, from touch screens to motion controls, and even 3D somehow.

The second screen has been used for a variety of things, not just map/inventory. Particularly in Nintendo games. Third parties just relegated it to that because of ports/development restrictions.

Squire

Banned
Weirdly, Nintendo has been the best at finding creative, non gimmicky ways to use all of those things, from touch screens to motion controls, and even 3D somehow.

The second screen has been used for a variety of things, not just map/inventory. Particularly in Nintendo games. Third parties just relegated it to that because of ports/development restrictions.

That would be included in my comment about their game design. I give them props, but they don't make the only games on their platforms.

kewlmyc

I gotta say, when the second screen in Nintendo handhelds has almost exclusively been used for item management and/or map screens from day one, that's not saying that much.

The only handheld I own right now is the Vita.

But, but... how will you play Persona Q? :(

Gazoinks

Eh. It's useful. I don't know, I guess it always felt like a waste of potential to me. I feel like Nintendo has perfected the art of introducing a gimmick, but it's their brands and the purity of their game design that keeps people coming back. No one really gives two shits about a second screen, motion controls, or 3D.

But I should say I also just don't mind pulling up menus on a single screen, myself. It's useful as you say, I was just never bothered and I'm still not.

The doublescreen won me over for some useful stuff like maps (not necessary, but nice to have), and some more innovative uses, but I couldn't care less about some of the more "shallow" gimmicks, like 3D and motion (why press a button when you can have a miniature seizure!). Touch screen is okay because I like Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey. :p

Also, I really need to play 999. There's a ton of DS games I missed that I want to play, but especially 999 and Phoenix Wright.

The doublescreen won me over for some useful stuff like maps (not necessary, but nice to have), and some more innovative uses, but I couldn't care less about some of the more "shallow" gimmicks, like 3D and motion (why press a button when you can have a miniature seizure!). Touch screen is okay because I like Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey. :p

Also, I really need to play 999. There's a ton of DS games I missed that I want to play, but especially 999 and Phoenix Wright.
Play radiant historia.

Necrovex

I remember getting stuck in Radiant Historia and then never picking it up again.

Maybe I should remedy that.

Fix that now. One of the finest titles on the DS.

My sister absolutely hates Akane.

And Phi.

She doesn't like the mysterious Zero Escape female characters apparently.

Hell fucking yeah it is.

I keep saying it, it makes the best damn use of the dual screens. Ever.

Everything about this post is good. Take your sister to a therapist, since something is wrong with her tastes.

Sigma was such a great MC

And yeah it goes without saying but Phi was fantastic.
I really liked Phi, Karen did a great job as her. Loved her deadpan, snarky, and annoyed responses to all the characters.

I would say try Solatorobo if you're looking for a something off the beaten path. And can find it for a decent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom