• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had always assumed that it was a case of "What if this person had been a girl, and not a boy?"

Ahh, I can see that now.

In my mind it was always some kind of parallel universe scenario where
Aigis sealed Death into a young girl, FeMC instead. MC died on that bridge.
And vice versa for MC.

I have an overactive imagination at times.

Edit: My bad. Again... lol

Jintor

Somewhere out there is the parallel universe where they both exist, they're pulling double duty as chosen ones or whatever, and sharing the load between them.

fertygo

She has her fanbase and that's cool but when she kinda took over Makoto's turf leaving him in her shadow in some people's eyes, you kinda feel like you have an obligation to root for him over her as a result. When you see things like "BUT SHE'S SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER" it's like well gee... thanks? :|

Ridiculous, even FeMC fan not gonna advise first time player just playing her route.
Most advice is playing the original route, and the FeMC served better as contrast for another playthrough.

So actually on the default is everyone know the original route is the canon. If you catching feeling over "play FeMC in your 2nd play(I repeat, 2nd play)she's better!" well I have no word.. and yet the fan must handle "she not exist" backhanded insult, despite they actually very aware of it.

Meia

Ahh, I can see that now.

In my mind it was always some kind of parallel universe scenario where Aigis sealed Death into a young girl, FeMC instead. MC died on that bridge. And vice versa for MC.

I have an overactive imagination at times.

This is kind of how I always pictured it.

Both of them should have been in P3P, with whoever you don't pick in the game as a character. Hell, make them of the World Arcana for kicks if they're not tapped as the MC.

cjkeats

Ridiculous, even FeMC fan not gonna advise first time player just playing her route.
Most advice is playing the original route, and the FeMC served better as contrast for another playthrough.

So actually on the default is everyone know the original route is the canon. If you catching feeling over "play FeMC in your 2nd play(I repeat, 2nd play)she's better!" well I have no word.. and yet the fan must handle "she not exist" backhanded insult, despite they actually very aware of it.
I played lady protagonist first and it was fine.

Lunar15

You're all wrong. P5's protagonist is going to be a cat. Cats are pretty popular on the internet, haven't you heard?

Unsure of whether it will be a male cat or a female cat though. Definitely not a college-aged cat.

Tabby

You're all wrong. P5's protagonist is going to be a cat. Cats are pretty popular on the internet, haven't you heard?

Unsure of whether it will be a male cat or a female cat though. Definitely not a college-aged cat.
3 had Koromaru, 4 had Fox, it's not unlikely to be honest.
Female High school dog pls.

It means you're probably a horrible person though.

No need to get so upset. It's not like female protagonist is taking away from Naoto at all.

Well if it isn't a college-aged Corgi I might as well cancel my import now.

Dantis

No need to get so upset. It's not like female protagonist is taking away from Naoto at all.

Zhnt7gf.gif

I would love to see a cat involved in P5; they could really go either Koro or Fox with it, it doesn't really matter. But something major, not just some kid trying to get his mom to buy him one. That kid is lame.

EDIT:

Would definitely not mind having it be a stoner cat that wears pajamas to all its lectures. College is so dark and edgy, after all.

PK Gaming

Hmm. I guess I could rerun some dungeons and stuff and try and get somewhere to the high 40s or so.
Don't do that. Straight up grinding doesn't accomplish much in Persona since the stat gains obtained per level are relatively minor. Grinding should only be done to reach a specific fusion level / obtain skills for your characters.

About the void quest boss: There's a Persona that will make this boss significantly easier. It's called Black Frost, and it's a level 38 Persona that can only be fused via the special 5-way Pentagon spread. The Persona needed to fuse it are:

(Magician) Jack Frost
(Magician) Pyro Jack
(Emperor) King Frost
(Magician) Pixie
(Death) Ghoul

4/5 of those Persona should be easy enough to obtain. King Frost can be gotten via the Lilim (Devil Arcana) + Anzu (Hierophant) fusion combo.

The reason why you need to fuse this Persona is because of its Mind Charge + Agidyne combo. You probably had trouble
breaking through that infuriating "knight shell." Mind Charge + Agidyne quickly takes care of that annoyance, and it massacres the boss when it's vulnerable. It also stops it from rebuilding its shell.

Other tips:
- It might be best to use Teddie over Yukiko as your designated healer in this fight. Since Teddie starts with Mediarama (Yukiko gets it at lvl 43) he's better suited at healing duty.
-Team buffs are very useful. At the level range you're in none of your party members have any, but items like Diamond Shield & Assault Signal can compensate.
-I'd refrain from using Yosuke in this fight due to his comparatively lower damage output. If you got lucky and obtained the wind vow item (+30% to Wind skills) then go ahead and use him.
-I just remembered that Yosuke gets Dekaja. Use it to prevent the boss from stacking buff after buff. Be careful about the double electric weak though >.>

Ideal party: Teddie / Yosuke / Kanji (if his S.link rank is 6 then he should have Power Charge, haha)

Levito

Banned
Having already been on board with Hasoda, I always planned to watch it, but absolutely rave impressions here on GAF and from some of you guys in particular compel me to let you know:

Wolf Children delivered and then some.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow. WOW.

Incredibly smart, relatable story, beautiful montages that bring the story forward with no words and a powerful score. The words are well-written and well-performed (the BEST Funimation dub!) when you do hear them. Someone's finally tackled the whole half-breed trope in a way that's actually relatively realistic and believable instead of the usual sensational/seinen manga/Marvel Comics-type bullshit.

This sounds really manic/disjointed because it's late and I really have no shortage of observations and good things to say, so it's difficult to try and assemble them, but just know: This is the best anime film I've seen since Spirited Away and one of the best I've ever seen, period. It's very probably right up there with Kiki's Delivery Service for me and that's the highest compliment I can pay.

Yeah it's pretty stellar, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It has some small flaws, like
Hanna's life pre-wolf man encounter is largely a mystery. It's kinda weird that we never hear anything from he own parents, or any of her family period.

It's interesting contrasting Hosoda and Miyazaki. Most people think Hosoda is mimicking Miyazaki, but that's unfair to both directors. Miyazaki for example tends to idealize children to be destined for greatness, and in totally in charge of their lives. While Hosoda goes in the opposite direction, the children in his movies are fearful of their future, and are just as imperfect as the adults. Neither style is worse than the other, I just like to point out that I think it's ridiculous to say they're both the same.

The whole movie feels like a classic fairytale even though the story is completely original, very impressive indeed.

Visual representation of what the movie will do to your feels.

CorvoSol

Don't do that. Straight up grinding doesn't accomplish much in Persona since the stat gains obtained per level are relatively minor. Grinding should only be done to reach a specific fusion level / obtain skills for your characters.

About the void quest boss: There's a Persona that will make this boss significantly easier. It's called Black Frost, and it's a level 38 Persona that can only be fused via the special 5-way Pentagon spread. The Persona needed to fuse it are:

4/5 of those Persona should be easy enough to obtain. King Frost can be gotten via the Lilim (Devil Arcana) + Anzu (Hierophant) fusion combo.

The reason why you need to fuse this Persona is because of its Mind Charge + Agidyne combo. You probably had trouble
breaking through that infuriating "knight shell." Mind Charge + Agidyne quickly takes care of that annoyance, and it massacres the boss when it's vulnerable. It also stops it from rebuilding its shell.

Other tips:
- It might be best to use Teddie over Yukiko as your designated healer in this fight. Since Teddie starts with Mediarama (Yukiko gets it at lvl 43) he's better suited at healing duty.
-Team buffs are very useful. At the level range you're in none of your party members have any, but items like Diamond Shield & Assault Signal can compensate.
-I'd refrain from using Yosuke in this fight due to his comparatively lower damage output. If you got lucky and obtained the wind vow item (+30% to Wind skills) then go ahead and use him.
-I just remembered that Yosuke gets Dekaja. Use it to prevent the boss from stacking buff after buff. Be careful about the double electric weak though >.>

Ideal party: Teddie / Yosuke / Kanji (if his S.link rank is 6 then he should have Power Charge, haha)

I think I'm about level 36 so I'll build up and try and get Black Frost before going back. I don't know that my SLink with Kanji is anything yet, 'cuz I spent the longest time trying to find him after school and stuff. Yosuke deals crap for damage, but he does have the occasional support spell to dish out when I need him to.

When you max out his S.Link he explores dungeons with you. Once you level him up enough he learns two skills exclusive to him. The Rock Bottom (Severe strike damage to one enemy) and The People's Elbow (Severe strike damage to all enemies).

A contextless reference to something that's technically a spoiler, but if you're far enough into the work to know it's a spoiler it isn't anymore, but since nerds gonna whine it is now presented behind a spoiler tag!
...aren't you supposed to be dead

Omikaru

Sometimes Persona newbs come in here asking for tips and stuff, or game buying advice, and I think it'd be pretty shitty if they got the entire ending for P3 spoiled for them. <_<

Squire

Banned
Yeah it's pretty stellar, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It has some small flaws, like
Hanna's life pre-wolf man encounter is largely a mystery. It's kinda weird that we never hear anything from he own parents, or any of her family period.

It's interesting contrasting Hosoda and Miyazaki. Most people think Hosoda is mimicking Miyazaki, but that's unfair to both directors. Miyazaki for example tends to idealize children to be destined for greatness, and in totally in charge of their lives. While Hosoda goes in the opposite direction, the children in his movies are fearful of their future, and are just as imperfect as the adults. Neither style is worse than the other, I just like to point out that I think it's ridiculous to say they're both the same.

The whole movie feels like a classic fairytale even though the story is completely original, very impressive indeed.

Visual representation of what the movie will do to your feels.

There's a couple weird things in there that are mostly negligible, yeah. I did think of your spoiler (how could I not?).

And yeah, I totally see what you're saying. I can't speak for everyone, but I guess for me a lot of Ghibli/Miyazaki's stuff post-Spirited Away has felt sort of milquetoast. Wolf Children really rekindled that feeling, but you're right: There's different stuff going on there thematically and that's what makes it resonate instead of just being hollow nostalgia.

Anyway, more anime like this. Please. Sorry for the OT post!

Levito

Banned
"It's better to make and OT post than a post that spoils the fuck out of one of the main entries in the series."

-Sun tzu

Seriously guys, those posts totally ruin arguably the biggest plot point of P3.

You mean thoughtful? I'd say that about film in general.

I ended up watching things like Wolf Children and Eternal Sunshine Of a Spotless Mind back to back recently, then followed up with Man Of Steel. It reminded me how much I hate most hollywood blockbusters these days.

Also actually thoughtful, not the Prometheus version of thoughtful.

Acid08

Banned
There's a couple weird things in there that are mostly negligible, yeah. I did think of your spoiler (how could I not?).

And yeah, I totally see what you're saying. I can't speak for everyone, but I guess for me a lot of Ghibli/Miyazaki's stuff post-Spirited Away has felt sort of milquetoast. Wolf Children really rekindled that feeling, but you're right: There's different stuff going on there thematically and that's what makes it resonate instead of just being hollow nostalgia.

Agreed on Ghibli's post-SA output. I thought Ponyo was pretty cute though!

"Persona 1 and 2 are not good, the rabid fans are delusional and should just play persona 3 and 4 instead. Lisa-san sure is cute though..."-Voltaire

"Persona 3 ad 4 are laughable and should be ignored in the larger Megaten canon."- Sit Isaac Newton

"These games are crap."- Carl Jung

Dantis

At this point, I think we're just badgering a new user, haha.

I'll PM him. I imagine it was an honest mistake. We don't want to deter people from coming here.

EDIT: Oh, he's already changed it. Never mind!

Levito

Banned
"Persona 1 and 2 are not good, the rabid fans are delusional and should just play persona 3 and 4 instead. Lisa-san sure is cute though..."-Voltaire

"Persona 3 ad 4 are laughable and should be ignored in the larger Megaten canon."- Sit Isaac Newton

"These games are crap."- Carl Jung

"Where does Marvel fit into all this megaten nonsense?"

-John F Kennedy

If you haven't beaten Persona 3, stay out of this thread until the next page

zzz

That seems pretty unfair, especially considering there's a rules that spoilers should be marked.

Squire

Banned
You mean thoughtful? I'd say that about film in general.

I watched Watching things like Wolf Children and Eternal Sunshine Of a Spotless Mind back to back recently, then followed up with Man Of Steel. It reminded me how much I hate most hollywood blockbusters these days.

Yeah, totally. I specify anime 'cause that's we always talk about, but it definitely applies to film in general. Games as well.

Also actually thoughtful, not the Prometheus version of thoughtful.

Always with the Prometheus hate! ^_^

Agreed on Ghibli's post-SA output. I thought Ponyo was pretty cute though!

Ponyo was actually one of the first ones I thought of. Felt much more endeared to Ame/Yuki.

PK Gaming

"Where does Marvel fit into all this megaten nonsense?"

-John F Kennedy

That seems pretty unfair, especially considering there's a rules that spoilers should be marked.
I didn't think turnip would be able to change his post in time, so I wanted to warn users in advance

Wolf Children was pretty dang phenomenal, and one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen.

My only real grievance is that it falls prey to my biggest media pet peeve ever: shouting a character's name over and over again. By the end of the film, I thought I was gonna lose it if I heard "AMEEEE" one more time.

That aside, it's Spirited Away > Wolf Children >= Summer Wars > Gurren Lagann as far as anime movies go.

Oh, and, er, Persona Persona Persona Personaaaa, I guess.

Those quotes are really amazing.
I may actually order the blu-ray with a couple of others (like the Girl Who Leapt Through Time). I trust you guys on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom