• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
The issue with me, as I've stated before, is that compared to Minato, she doesn't fit in the "gloomy" atmosphere of P3. All jokes aside I don't actually hate her , she has a good design, and some pretty funny moments, its just that I prefer Minato. She might be my "least liked" MC, but that's mostly because the gloomy thing, and the fact that she, along with P1MC are the only ones without a "voice" in a game. I also understand why others would like her better than Jesus McBlue, but personally I don't.
Pretty much this. I liked the slink changes more than the actual character.

Nachos

Pretty much this. I liked the slink changes more than the actual character.
This sounds like Marie all over again. It's kind of hard to make the distinction since she's a silent protagonist, but is your only complaint that inserting jet posthumously doesn't necessarily jive with what was already there?

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm not a junior anymore. I'd ask when this happened, but I don't even know what I had to do in the first place. Does anyone know?

PK Gaming

Found this amazing Persona 4 comic
tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo10_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo9_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo8_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo7_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo6_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo5_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo4_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo3_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo2_500.png

tumblr_mzezyiNEUO1qeaguvo1_500.png

This sounds like Marie all over again. It's kind of hard to make the distinction since she's a silent protagonist, but is your only complaint that inserting jet posthumously doesn't necessarily jive with what was already there?

EDIT: Oh wait, I'm not a junior anymore. I'd ask when this happened, but I don't even know what I had to do in the first place. Does anyone know?

congrats

Its 300 posts+3 moths since opening your account iirc

kewlmyc

The issue with me, as I've stated before, is that compared to Minato, she doesn't fit in the "gloomy" atmosphere of P3. All jokes aside I don't actually hate her , she has a good design, and some pretty funny moments, its just that I prefer Minato. She might be my "least liked" MC, but that's mostly because the gloomy thing, and the fact that she, along with P1MC are the only ones without a "voice" in a game. I also understand why others would like her better than Jesus McBlue, but personally I don't.
Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. She's a fun character that has some good choices to pick from. She also has the best social links to choose from (that's mostly due to P-Studios have more experience writing social links by the time P3P came along). However, she doesn't seem to blend with the overall tone of the game and I'm not a fan of some story choices they chose with her route. Just because. I like her less than Makoto, but it's like saying I like white chocolate less than milk chocolate. At the end of the day, they're both chocolate and they're still both delicious.

...I'm off to find some chocolate.

Squire

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if they were translating it alongside development. SMT IV came out about 2 months after the Japanese release.

That's what I'm thinking of.

If we don't get the game within 3 months of Japan I will honestly be surprised, barring there's no reason to expect otherwise before.

So are fusion accidents in P4 just completely random?
Yes and No from what I remember. Yes in the fact that it is random in what you'll get, but no in that there is a a range on high or low you can get an accident, i think it's like 10 levels above or below the persona you are fusing if I recall.
Oh, I actually didn't know that.
In SMTIV, the Famed Race of demons, you can only get them through fusion accidents. So if you want Yoshitsune or any of the Famed Race you'll pretty much gonna have to be really lucky in terms of fusion accidents. I only got Jeanne D'Arc.

Meia

So are fusion accidents in P4 just completely random?

Totally random. Like a 1/64 chance with every 2 persona fusion, 1/32 chance with every 3 persona fusion. Fusions involving more can never cause an accident.

And yeah, wasn't it early series where you could only get Fool arcana Personas by having an accident?

Gazoinks

Totally random. Like a 1/64 chance with every 2 persona fusion, 1/32 chance with every 3 persona fusion. Fusions involving more can never cause an accident.

And yeah, wasn't it early series where you could only get Fool arcana Personas by having an accident?

No, as I recall in P2 you had to get Fool cards through a ridiculously arcane negotiation mechanism where you needed to get them to have two emotions equally or something... Don't know about P1.

Soma

Re: FeMC

For me, it's not so much of a dislike for her, it's just that I like Makoto on a personal level and the weird combative 'rivalry' between the two gets pretty irksome to a point where I feel like I NEED to take a side now. I really think she should've gotten her own game instead because she is a really good character in her own right and having her left out of things is a little unfair.

She has her fanbase and that's cool but when she kinda took over Makoto's turf leaving him in her shadow in some people's eyes, you kinda feel like you have an obligation to root for him over her as a result. When you see things like "BUT SHE'S SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER" it's like well gee... thanks? :|

No, as I recall in P2 you had to get Fool cards through a ridiculously arcane negotiation mechanism where you needed to get them to have two emotions equally or something... Don't know about P1.
In IS you can only gain fool cards through a very specific contracting in that you have to make them interested and angry and alternating between the two, and then they'll will on the rare chance ask you if you are a fool or something along those lines and they will give you a Fool card. In EP, this is slighty made easier but still frustrating in that you still can do the normal way, through battling. But you can do a sidequest involving Salam, a man who essentialy asks you make out maps of the various dunegons in the game. And you can gain Fool cards, spell cards, and random tarot or blank cards this way. It's still annoying in that you have to do the whole dunegon map for him to accept the map and to claim you rewards.

CorvoSol

Is FeMC going to be in Q? If they put both of them in then nobody would have to ever feel mad.

Also, despite advice I've kept Izanagi, and here's why:

-In spite of being like, 4 levels lower (at least) than Yu and anywhere from 4-2 levels lower than all the other Persona in the party, Stat Cards have basically guaranteed that Izanagi has nearly twice the stats of most of the other persona in my party. Additionally, now that I know how the Cafe works and can therefore breed and harvest skill cards to my liking, his moveset is completely viable.

My strategy for SMT4 was Magic Build + covering my bases with all the attack types + Mediaharama + Recarm. So basically that's what I'm going for again here. Them other kids can learn the stuff like Makarakarn and such.

Moonlight

Banned
Re: FeMC

For me, it's not so much of a dislike for her, it's just that I like Makoto on a personal level and the weird combative 'rivalry' between the two gets pretty irksome to a point where I feel like I NEED to take a side now. I really think she should've gotten her own game instead because she is a really good character in her own right and having her left out of things is a little unfair.

She has her fanbase and that's cool but when she kinda took over Makoto's turf leaving him in her shadow in some people's eyes, you kinda feel like you have an obligation to root for him over her as a result. When you see things like "BUT SHE'S SOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER" it's like well gee... thanks? :|
At the same time, it's a mite irritating to constantly hear OH BUT SHE'S NOT CANON. I mean, we get it. She's not canon, and I might even wish she was, but it's just such a silly, almost spiteful thing to lob back. That's probably the thing that comes up the most that I just really dislike. I'm not gonna deny tons of FeMC fans are a really vocal minority, but that's exactly what they are - a minority. She is definitely not even close to 'shadowing' Makoto when it comes down to it, and I think the way the rest of the expanded stuff tends to shun her proves my point.

But personally, I don't think I'd have enjoyed FeMC as much as I did without the context of having played through Makoto's eyes first. Which I imagine was the point, given that they added FeMC largely to serve as a point of interest for returning players or as an added incentive (in my case) to replay the game through a new perspective. FeMC's contrast may not have suited P3 thematically, necessarily, but the alternative was making a character without its' own identity, a similarly drab, introverted character that would be hard to distinguish from her counterpart and frankly, even harder to justify as a notable or cool addition. FeMC is the way she is because she's meant to be the way she is: optimistic, peppy, maybe even a bit ditzy if you want to play her that way and she's all the more vibrant having seen the world through Makoto. It's why I think it's just a weird criticism to say she contradicts the mood of the game because that contradiction was as deliberate as can be. She's her own character and she'd never be as bold or sunny as she is if she weren't made with Makoto in mind.

And hell, if she's not going to be canon and never will be, what's the harm in having a bit of fun in her own little pocket of the universe regardless of however things are 'supposed' to be?

Lemstar

Just because. I like her less than Makoto, but it's like saying I like white chocolate less than milk chocolate. At the end of the day, they're both chocolate and they're still both delicious.
but white chocolate isn't actually chocolate

Kappa

kewlmyc

but white chocolate isn't actually chocolate

Kappa
Everything I know is a lie....

At the same time, it's a mite irritating to constantly hear OH BUT SHE'S NOT CANON. I mean, we get it. She's not canon, and I might even wish she was, but it's just such a silly, almost spiteful thing to lob back. That's probably the thing that comes up the most that I just really dislike. I'm not gonna deny tons of FeMC fans are a really vocal minority, but that's exactly what they are - a minority. She is definitely not even close to 'shadowing' Makoto when it comes down to it, and I think the way the rest of the expanded stuff tends to shun her proves my point.

But personally, I don't think I'd have enjoyed FeMC as much as I did without the context of having played through Makoto's eyes first. Which I imagine was the point, given that they added FeMC largely to serve as a point of interest for returning players or as an added incentive (in my case) to replay the game through a new perspective. FeMC's contrast may not have suited P3 thematically, necessarily, but the alternative was making a character without its' own identity, a similarly drab, introverted character that would be hard to distinguish from her counterpart and frankly, even harder to justify as a notable or cool addition. FeMC is the way she is because she's meant to be the way she is: optimistic, peppy, maybe even a bit ditzy if you want to play her that way and she's all the more vibrant having seen the world through Makoto. It's why I think it's just a weird criticism to say she contradicts the mood of the game because that contradiction was as deliberate as can be. She's her own character and she'd never be as bold or sunny as she is if she weren't made with Makoto in mind.

And hell, if she's not going to be canon and never will be, what's the harm in having a bit of fun in her own little pocket of the universe regardless of however things are 'supposed' to be?
Agree with a lot of points you made, espeically the part about the "LOL NOT CANON" thing getting old. It's funny as a joke the first few time, but after a while when it's used in every MC vs FeMC argument, it's just annoying.

However, I don't think saying she contradicts the mood is a weird argument at all. Even if it's deliberate, a contradiction is still a contradiction. We all know that they were going for a new approach with her as a main selling point, but I don't think having her be giddy in scenes that don't call for it was the best decision that Atlus could have made. It just feels jarring having two different moods constantly clashing with each other in her route. I feel that she would have been better placed her own game, as someone mentioned earlier. She's not a bad character at all, in fact, she's fantastic. It just doesn't really feel as if she belongs there (for obvious reasons).

Soma

I dunno, maybe it's a matter of perspective but I've always seen the whole "She's not canon" as a joking (well probably not so jokingly for those who genuinely don't like her) deflection for "But he's boring, she's better". I honestly don't feel her fanbase is as much of a minority as you claim it to be because whenever the subject comes up I always feel like her presence is constantly being shoved in my face. "better music, better this better that" and so on.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't like those things, it's just a matter of having to take sides as a result. Not much either side can do about it though.

tl;dr I like both but I like Makoto better and having it be either/or is a headache for me.

iC7q6ddhkrxZ0.jpg

PK Gaming

Is FeMC going to be in Q? If they put both of them in then nobody would have to ever feel mad.

Also, despite advice I've kept Izanagi, and here's why:

-In spite of being like, 4 levels lower (at least) than Yu and anywhere from 4-2 levels lower than all the other Persona in the party, Stat Cards have basically guaranteed that Izanagi has nearly twice the stats of most of the other persona in my party. Additionally, now that I know how the Cafe works and can therefore breed and harvest skill cards to my liking, his moveset is completely viable.

My strategy for SMT4 was Magic Build + covering my bases with all the attack types + Mediaharama + Recarm. So basically that's what I'm going for again here. Them other kids can learn the stuff like Makarakarn and such.
Looks like you're going with the cool path. Good choice, I underestimated how easy it was to maintain Izanagi on your first run.

Stat cards do indeed allow Izanagi to stay relevant, and skill cards allow you to fine-tune him and cover his weaknesses, so he can stay viable until the endgame.

Fun fact: Izanagi actually has good stat growths. Its heavy focus on STR makes it one of the few Personas that naturally maxes out STR fairly early on. It also completely neglects luck (dump stat) and has high averages all around. On my Izanagi-only run on NG+, its stats actually completely eclipsed Kanji's Persona, despite having a noticeably lower level.

Caladrius

Looks like you're going with the cool path. Good choice, I underestimated how easy it was to maintain Izanagi on your first run.

Stat cards do indeed allow Izanagi to stay relevant, and skill cards allow you to fine-tune him and cover his weaknesses, so he can stay viable until the endgame.

Fun fact: Izanagi actually has good stat growths. Its heavy focus on STR makes it one of the few Personas that naturally maxes out STR fairly early on. It also completely neglects luck (dump stat) and has high averages all around. On my Izanagi-only run on NG+, its stats actually completely eclipsed Kanji's Persona, despite having a noticeably lower level.

Hmm....Note to self: Keep captain action-batch next playthrough.

kewlmyc

That's only possible in P4G right?

King Fost

Neo Member
That's only possible in P4G right?

You can kind of do it in Vanilla but its a lot harder to keep him relevant and it requires tons and tons of backfusing so its really only viable in NG+.

And yeah, Izanagi does have good stats. It grows kind of like Jiraiya/Susano-o but he exchanges some speed and a bit of endurance for more strength. And Jiraiya/Susano-o has one of the best stat spreads so that's not a bad thing at all.

Rizzi

Can you only do that in P4G? I've only got the PS2 game, but now I want to try.
Edit: Woop. That's what I get for leaving the thread open for half an hour before posting. :p

kiriin

But personally, I don't think I'd have enjoyed FeMC as much as I did without the context of having played through Makoto's eyes first. Which I imagine was the point, given that they added FeMC largely to serve as a point of interest for returning players or as an added incentive (in my case) to replay the game through a new perspective. FeMC's contrast may not have suited P3 thematically, necessarily, but the alternative was making a character without its' own identity, a similarly drab, introverted character that would be hard to distinguish from her counterpart and frankly, even harder to justify as a notable or cool addition. FeMC is the way she is because she's meant to be the way she is: optimistic, peppy, maybe even a bit ditzy if you want to play her that way and she's all the more vibrant having seen the world through Makoto. It's why I think it's just a weird criticism to say she contradicts the mood of the game because that contradiction was as deliberate as can be. She's her own character and she'd never be as bold or sunny as she is if she weren't made with Makoto

This is the problem with having a supposedly neutral/insert-yourself protagonist. People are going perceive them differently, in persona 3 it mostly based on his/her dialogue and appearance. It going to lead to scenario where neutrality clashes with our own perceptions of the character. The whole contrast between the two mc in persona 3 just makes it seem like that all they are in face value; she was too bubbly or he was a apathetic jerk. That the problem with a main character with no inherent depth; it up to the viewer decide what he or she is based on what we are given. In femc case, Atlus should have drop the whole blank protagonist and instead write her as a playable character with a voice.

I know people are going to argue against this but a neutral/avatar doesn't bring much to the plot and story of persona, especialy when most of your "decisions" are pretty much superficial.

CorvoSol

I mean Izanagi looked way too cool to throw away. In SMT4 sometimes I'd hang on to Genma and Femme demons cuz they looked rad.

But really, as far as I can tell, the only thing that hampers Izanagi is he requires like, twice the EXP of other party members' Personae to level up. Luckily free level up cards are around.

Game hasn't really felt that hard with Izanagi only. I think the main problem I run into in this game is I run out of MP a lot because I spend so much ending battles in the first turn.

Squire

Banned
Having already been on board with Hasoda, I always planned to watch it, but absolutely rave impressions here on GAF and from some of you guys in particular compel me to let you know:

Wolf Children delivered and then some.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow. WOW.

Incredibly smart, relatable story, beautiful montages that bring the story forward with no words and a powerful score. The words are well-written and well-performed (the BEST Funimation dub!) when you do hear them. Someone's finally tackled the whole half-breed trope in a way that's actually relatively realistic and believable instead of the usual sensational/seinen manga/Marvel Comics-type bullshit.

This sounds really manic/disjointed because it's late and I really have no shortage of observations and good things to say, so it's difficult to try and assemble them, but just know: This is the best anime film I've seen since Spirited Away and one of the best I've ever seen, period. It's very probably right up there with Kiki's Delivery Service for me and that's the highest compliment I can pay.

Between this and Reveangence, it's been a pretty damn good week for stuff you guys recommended actually completely living up to the hype.

CorvoSol

Hey guys I need some pointers on beating the boss of the Void Quest. That first phase is a slog where I just spam defense buffs and slowly deal physical damage, but that second phase he pulls out Mazionga and Megidola and I'm slaughtered. My party is around level 35.

What do I need to do? Level up? Get new spells? Does this thing have a weakness I can exploit?

Hey guys I need some pointers on beating the boss of the Void Quest. That first phase is a slog where I just spam defense buffs and slowly deal physical damage, but that second phase he pulls out Mazionga and Megidola and I'm slaughtered. My party is around level 35.

What do I need to do? Level up? Get new spells? Does this thing have a weakness I can exploit?
I was pretty successful with a Black Frost that had Fire Amp, Mind Charge, and Agidyne. Leveling up can't hurt, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom