• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Lowering his accuracy does wonders.

tumblr_m44glndfXy1rsjpnco1_500.jpg

Well guys?

I wouldn't mind if they made
Izanagi the villian instead and had Izanami as the main persona
. Compared to P3P, having a FeMC in P4 would probably require the whole story to change and the group dynamic to change as well.

Caladrius

I always thought the bad fashion sense was deliberate considering that (P4G spoilers)
She's technically not even human and is an amnesiac.She wouldn't be able to tell what was good fashion to begin with.

Tabby

Imagine if Persona 5's main cast of characters consisted of Marie-eqsue characters.
That would be glorious.
Tsundere well dressed and cute.
This thread would be hilarious.

EMT0

Banned
Putting Marie as the FeMC is no-no in my book. I personally don't care what the gender is of the MC so long as it's what the P-Team feels that it's what they need to do to fit the narrative. Shoehorning Tsun Tsun Bad Laundry Day Edition into that role would be eh. I'd be fine with them creating a proper FeMC for P4 as long as they put in all the work needed with dialogue and writing to make it unique and worthwhile.

Dresden

but I thought she was designed to look stupid.

always figured that was the point
especially with the post-ending design change
, but as with the terrible poetry (which the player shouldn't have been forced to read, but rather found if they'd so been inclined to look for it), the execution was left wanting

I am the queen.
This world belongs to me.
I don't need anyone else.
My world is complete.
I am the queen.
This false world belongs to me,
The lonely queen...
No one knows the real me.
Don't take away my cape.
Because underneath, i am nothing.
Don't chase after me.
Please...

Tabby

I am the queen.
My world is complete.
I am the queen.
The lonely queen...
Don't take away my cape.
Don't chase after me.
Please...

shuddupstupidihateyoustupidjerkface.
Stop reading my things.

She's adorable when she freaks out.

Acid08

Banned
I am the queen.
My world is complete.
I am the queen.
The lonely queen...
Don't take away my cape.
Don't chase after me.
Please...

rqcwhxE.gif

Kazzy

She'd still look awful.

Not particularly, I've personally always really liked design. The fact that she looks so conspicuous, is precisely why it succeeds. She's
not of this world
, and so her perspective (whether it is cultural, or otherwise) all comes from the brief windows she has outside of the velvet room. She's a pastiche of all that she knows, which is to say very little.

My complaints are reserved for the characterization, not the design.

Considering her origin, she would actually make a perfect avatar for the player. Everything she learns or knows directly informs the audience, and vice versa. The veritable blank-slate!

Jonnax

Imagine if Persona 5's main cast of characters consisted of Marie-eqsue characters.
That would be glorious.
Tsundere well dressed and cute.
This thread would be hilarious.

It would be really disappointing, what I enjoy about Persona is that it isn't 20 cliché anime tropes half heartedly shoved into a product to hit the Otaku demographic (apart from Marie of course).

Rizzi

I've started Persona 2: Innocent Sin to take a break from the 14 hours I've put in to P3P since getting the vita two days ago.
I don't really understand how to get new personas in this one. Can someone explain it to me? I feel like an idiot.

Nachos

I am the queen.
My world is complete.
I am the queen.
The lonely queen...
Don't take away my cape.
Don't chase after me.
Please...

HEY! DANCING TONIGHT!

Speaking of implied personality (kind of), I kinda hope they give the protag of P5 a Shadow. I liked the way they pulled it off in P2 with it calling back to some decisions you made, and it'd be interesting to see that idea expanded further.
They'd have to be really careful with it, though. Even with a simplified set of options to choose from, there can be so many contexts and justifications for making one decision over another. Assuming they really wanted to make the protagonist an expy for the player, then they'd have to be really confident in their ability to gauge the underlying motivators for each particular choice. Say if the shadow said something like "OOOOHHHHH, YOU CHOSE TO DO THIS WITH THIS PARTICULAR PERSON BECAUSE YOU SECRETLY LOVE THEM" when that wasn't the reason at all will just make the expression ring hollow for something supposedly able to see right through you. It's a balancing act between player agency and predefined scripting, one for which I really can't envy anyone trying to make it work.

It'd be far easier to have an actual person with a predefined personality confront you on it all without the affectations of being able to peer into the "recesses of your mind," which can then further define your role as the protagonist by making you react in turn to reactions of your prior actions. It all just kind of compounds on top of each other, all while making your choices relevant, however limited they might be.

It would be really disappointing, what I enjoy about Persona is that it isn't 20 cliché anime tropes half heartedly shoved into a product to hit the Otaku demographic (apart from Marie of course).
No, he's saying that Persona 5 should ONLY have tsundere characters in it. Imagine buying produce from the seemingly kind old man running a local convenience store: "Here as your cabbages. I certainly hope you enjoy them! Err, not that I want to be happy or my business to thrive, stupidwhippersnapperIhateyou." Everyone and everything would be bipolar, and you, as the main character, could be given two individual characteristics to rank up on top of your usual courage and wisdom: tsun and dere!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I've started Persona 2: Innocent Sin to take a break from the 14 hours I've put in to P3P since getting the vita two days ago.
I don't really understand how to get new personas in this one. Can someone explain it to me? I feel like an idiot.

You have to negotiate with demons to get tarot cards of a certain arcana. Then once you have enough of a certain amount, go to the Velvet Room you exchange them for different personae.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom