• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
Dantis in a catsuit.

Head-Nod.gif

Soriku

PERSONA QUESTION:

How would you feel if Persona 5 used proportions more like Catherine? Smaller eyes, bigger noses, bigger mouths etc. I don't think Catherine characters have the stretched torsos, necks and limbs either.

I thought this was more or less a given after them saying the characters are going to be realistically proportioned. I don't think Catherine's characters have big noses or mouths (outside of Vincent's exaggerated expressions) though.

Also FE: Awakening is an all around bad game. Bad story, forgettable characters, battle balance gets broken in half with a Sorceror like Morgan with Nosferatu, mediocre soundtrack, etc.

The only good thing about the game was that I got it for $15 on Best Buy and just sold it on eBay a few hours ago for $39.

King Fost

Neo Member
There was clearly a tiered cast with some better characters and some flatter characters, but they all were pretty flat relatively speaking. But the designs and the inter-party interactions made up for it. They also made the support mechanic so you don't have to end-turn spam for a fucking bajillion times anymore, probably the best change they ever made.

I remember FE7 thinking that the fucking prologue was the entire game. My mind was blown when we finished.

Actually... did I ever finish FE7 properly...? Hmmm...

FE9 got rid of the end-turn spam support system first. In that game, support levels are based on how many chapters the characters are deployed together in and in FE10, it's still based on how many turns the pair spends adjacent to each other but it's much, much faster.

Lunar15

There was clearly a tiered cast with some better characters and some flatter characters, but they all were pretty flat relatively speaking. But the designs and the inter-party interactions made up for it. They also made the support mechanic so you don't have to end-turn spam for a fucking bajillion times anymore, probably the best change they ever made.

I remember FE7 thinking that the fucking prologue was the entire game. My mind was blown when we finished.

Actually... did I ever finish FE7 properly...? Hmmm...

See, this is why I love PoR: They made it so that all support convos are carried out through a "base" (somewhat similar to how Awakening does it). The base also had additional "conversations" between characters that related to the story at the time (a character from, so you could see how your units were reacting to the world around them at that moment, while still taking into account that they could be dead at this point. It was a brilliant mechanic that made all of your characters stay relevant to the end and made you want to keep them alive longer to see what they said throughout the game.

BUT THIS ISN'T ABOUT PERSONA IT'S ABOUT FE SO WE'LL TALK ABOUT IT IN THE FE THREAD.

As for persona news, I think we should talk about how k...

17:41 RedTheHunter and yet he draws dantis in a catsuit

wait-what.gif

CorvoSol

Persona 4 Golden

And then Yu and his friends
formed a pop rock band
in two days. And Chie
played trumpet
even though Yu
actually knows how to play trumpet from all the time he spends in Band
. But Yu somehow magically
was a master Bass Guitarist.

Meanwhile Izanagi knows Megidoloan and has 96 STR and can now kill an entire party of golden hands in two turns. Broooooooooooooooookeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

Persona 4 Golden

formed a pop rock band
in two days. And Chie
played trumpet
even though Yu

That's so Persona 4!

Dantis

Persona 4 Golden

formed a pop rock band
in two days. And Chie
played trumpet
even though Yu

Meanwhile Izanagi knows Megidoloan and has 96 STR and can now kill an entire party of golden hands in two turns. Broooooooooooooooookeeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

LOL

I can't believe I'd never realised this.

What did you think of the scene? Of all the things I complain about, it's one of the only ones that some people actually agree with.

I mean sure maybe learning to ride motorcycle only takes two weeks.

But
learning to play musical instruments so well the crowd cheers for more
is far fetched. On the other hand Yu and Yosuke are master weapons users so . . .

Yu
equipped the Saraswati persona and she bestowed upon him the gift of music

Actually, what really happened is that they
Milli Vanilli'd that mess

Caladrius

I liked awakening's character design but the difficulty curve and most of the characters were messy (The only 5 standouts for that game for me were Chrom, Lucina, Inigo, Cordelia and Stahl. And the Y chromosome half of that may or may not involve some bias.)

Someone get me the smelling salts.

But
is far fetched. On the other hand Yu and Yosuke are master weapons users so . . .

That was one of the more blatantly inserted segments. In the original game there was a Typhoon that just made the calendar skip a week.

CorvoSol

LOL

What did you think of the scene? Of all the things I complain about, it's one of the only ones that some people actually agree with.

It was the first thing that came to mind. Everyone's all
"Noooooo I can't do jack shit musically!!!"
and I was like,
"Guys, I go to Band all the time. I can play Trumpet. Y'all leave this to me."
Then suddenly Chie was like
"Air goes in but sound does not come out!?"
Almost felt like going and getting Pikachu face to come teach my friends
how to play.

Jintor

LOL

I've spent a lot of time learning instruments and people can't even get that incompetent with instruments in that amount of time, even if they were super faking it with a pre-recorded track (i can't remember if they were or weren't)

Dantis

I've spent a lot of time learning instruments and people can't even get that incompetent with instruments in that amount of time, even if they were super faking it with a pre-recorded track (i can't remember if they were or weren't)

I actually meant did he enjoy the scene, rather than what did he think of its plausibility.

EMT0

Banned
I actually meant did he enjoy the scene, rather than what did he think of its plausibility.

I more or less disliked the entire band thing; better question is if anyone actually enjoyed the scene, because I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise the song they played in the band scene.

I more or less disliked the entire band thing; better question is if anyone actually enjoyed the scene, because I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise the song they played in the band scene.

I'll go ahead and say it: I liked the whole band scene, I liked True Story, and I liked Laura Bailey's singing. And now knowing that they pulled the whole 'storm strikes and we skip time' thing again, I'm even happier that the band scene was in P4G.

PK Gaming

Persona 4 Golden

formed a pop rock band
in two days. And Chie
played trumpet
even though Yu

Highlights

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?!?

/jealous

Caladrious said:
That was one of the more blatantly inserted segments. In the original game there was a Typhoon that just made the calendar skip a week.

Weaaaaak

Dantis

It's one of CJKeats' favourite Persona songs, I think, haha.

The US one is a lot better but still garbage. The Japanese version is absolutely horrendous. It's neat that Meguro re-recorded a new version to sound like a school band, but the song is still shit. The live version was good though.

I'd say that the song choice and the direction of the actual cutscene are the main two things I disliked.

Acid08

Banned
Band event was corny but had some decent, funny moments.

The song is just, like, a generic as fuck pop rock song. Don't feel any real animosity or love towards it.

The US one is a lot better but still garbage. The Japanese version is absolutely horrendous. It's neat that Meguro re-recorded a new version to sound like a school band, but the song is still shit. The live version was good though.

I'd say that the song choice and the direction of the actual cutscene are the main two things I disliked.

oh yeah the song a catastrophe en par with the Hindenberg, the scenes leading up to it were glorious though.

Dantis

oh yeah the song a catastrophe en par with the Hindenberg, the scenes leading up to it were glorious though.

The lead-up scenes were typical Golden fluff. Inoffensive but uninteresting. I'm on P4G right now, and the difference in the old scenes and the new ones seems really obvious to me.

EMT0

Banned
Band event was corny but had some decent, funny moments.

The song is just, like, a generic as fuck pop rock song. Don't feel any real animosity or love towards it.

Yeah, you guys are right. There was some good dialogue between the group before the actual concert, but I did dislike the whole band concept as a whole. Reminds me of some bad fanfiction I had the misfortune to stumble upon.

cjkeats

It sure is and it's a fantastic song. Catchy, fun, and Rise's idol outfit from the anime was too notch. Can't ask for better from Megruo.
The scene in the game was fun. I laughed and had a good time.

Ya'll don't know how to have fun.

Kazzy

I'll go ahead and say it: I liked the whole band scene, I liked True Story, and I liked Laura Bailey's singing. And now knowing that they pulled the whole 'storm strikes and we skip time' thing again, I'm even happier that the band scene was in P4G.

Awesome, didn't think that anyone was going to vouch for it as I was scrolling through the pages. To me, all those additional events just to serve the strengthen the bond between the investigation team, because, truth be told, most of that exists in little pockets in the original game. Yes, they all do interact with each other, but beyond certain set-piece events, most of that is off-screen. Though I appreciate it when some information/character development can be inferred away from the main narrative, it's nice to be able to witness some it too.

And for something that is supposedly "inoffensive", a lot of people seems to be bothered about it!

I also appreciated that it was a nod (of sorts) towards the anime. I always did like the Rise-centric OP.

LX_Theo

Banned
I mean sure maybe learning to ride motorcycle only takes two weeks.

But

I just assumed they learned how to play one song well enough for the crowd to cheer.

Nachos

Could someone give me some suggestions on classic/"old" games? I'm especially interested in Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy and Zelda games, so I'd like some opinions on which one I should actually play.

For Castlevania and Metroid, I'd suggest this:
  • Metroid: Play Metroid Zero Mission first for your 2D fix. It's a remake of the first game with a lot of extra content. Then, if you like it, try Super Metroid (Metroid 3), followed by Metroid Fusion (Metroid 4), and then Metroid II. I think Super is a masterpiece and is the best in the series, but the controls are a bit too floaty compared to Zero Mission, which is tight and really precise. I figure that playing the game with the best controls first would give you the best idea if you would like this sort of game, even if it's not the most well-designed (still great, though). Play the Prime games in order for a 3D fix. Metroid Prime Hunters and Other M aren't that bad, but hardly necessary.
  • Castlevania: Play Symphony of the Night and Castlevania IV to see which is more your speed. If you prefer the tight platforming of IV, then go onto Rondo of Blood. If you like the action RPG mix of Symphony, though, you can't go wrong with any of games on GBA or DS (3DS one sucks though). I can't speak for the 3D ones, but Lords if Shadow seems to be the best one.

Just got back from Animate. The turnout for my panel was... well, underwhelming(especially since 'NAME THAT ANIME TUNE' got a full house afterward), but oh well.

I'm happy to share the panels, anyway. Is there a way to do so without screencapping and saving them as individual images?

Also, the best haul: I got an Elizabeth P4A figure. :D $30.
Ah man, that sucks, but what'd you use to make the slides? If it's something like PowerPoint, you should be able to save it it as a .pdf, which should embed everything to the file.

Okay guys, I'm gonna need your help again. I've finally finished basic editing and my lines for the voice project I'm doing, so now comes the hardest part: casting the other roles. Since so many people volunteered to help me, I'm going to have to make a request for everyone who wants a role to record a quick snippet of the character you want to play (an audition of sorts) and PM it to me.

Thanks so much to everyone who's willing to help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it!
Does this mean that that all of the previous castings are reset? I don't mind, since the previous casting call was pretty informal, but it would be nice if you listed what characters you need.
I got the Level 10 SLink with Marie last night. That was really, really underwhelming. I mean I guess the Level 9 was meant to be the big one since that's the one where the romance pops up, but man was that level 10 dumb. "HEY LET'S GO EAT STEAK. THE END." Whatever, it's over, it's done, and now I can actually have time for Rise. I'm in October and PK Gaming said to tell you guys when I began December. Is there anything else I desperately need to do, aside from baby sitting the worst character in the game, before December?
If you haven't already, get Adachi's link up to 6. It has some automatic rank ups later on, but if it's not at six by that point, you won't be maxing it out.

Awesome, didn't think that anyone was going to vouch for it as I was scrolling through the pages. To me, all those additional events just to serve the strengthen the bond between the investigation team, because, truth be told, most of that exists in little pockets in the original game. Yes, they all do interact with each other, but beyond certain set-piece events, most of that is off-screen. Though I appreciate it when some information/character development can be inferred away from the main narrative, it's nice to be able to witness some it too.

And for something that is supposedly "inoffensive", a lot of people seems to be bothered about it!

I also appreciated that it was a nod (of sorts) towards the anime. I always did like the Rise-centric OP.
WHY DO YOU LIKE RISE SO MUCH?!?

FluxWaveZ

Not too sure when this happened, but it seems Atlus stealth updated the P4U2 website by adding Persona Sho's portrait next to Sho's.

It's probably the next of the Persona games' websites to officially open up like PQ's did; wonder when that'll be.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm just about here. True Story isn't amazing, but it's pretty catchy and believably idol-y, which I imagine was the point. Bailey is, of course, a great singer as well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but the band scene is one of those things about Golden that I feel is way more blown out out of proportion than it really should have been. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy, but I imagine some of that was the point - the whole 'episode' has a really classic idolmaker-esque 'we gotta train to become famous idols so we can save our school/hometown/whatever' set-up to it that I actually thought was pretty fun, and it's not like it didn't have its' tongue firmly in cheek the whole time.

Plus, and I've already said this, but it's one of those instances in the game where Rise really takes charge of the situation, and all that charisma and confidence that Laura Bailey infuses into the character pours out when she's taking control and reassuring her friends that she'll get it done.

"I didn't say anything pathetic like "I'll do what I can". I'm going to get a huge crowd, no matter what, and they will go home satisfied."

I never had a problem with Yu being a master bass guitarist, as well. Him being a weird savant at random or trivial things isn't really beyond how he's already been characterized through dialogue options and such, so nothing about it surprised me or put me off.

That said, that trumpet observation never occurred to me. It'd have been a nice touch if that was actually the instrument he wound up playing.

Does this mean that that all of the previous castings are reset? I don't mind, since the previous casting call was pretty informal, but it would be nice if you listed what characters you need

The characters that only one person showed interest in are Chie, Yukiko, Shadow Teddie, Nanako, Naoto, Dojima, Kou, Daisuke, and Izanagi. Yosuke, Adachi and the Fox are also taken.

So basically, Kanji, Teddie, Rise, Igor, Yumi, Ayane and Mitsuo still need to be cast. If you are interested in playing any of these characters, please let me know and send in an audition!

CorvoSol

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE?!?

/jealous

I had a fusion accident which netted me Decarbia with the Megidola Skill Card. From there it was just a matter of waiting for another Skill Level Up card to fall in my lap. I get so many I don't even need them anymore because the game's like "Bro all your skills are maxed, bro." And I prioritize stat boosts.

I can't decide if this game is just WAY easier than SMT4 or playing SMT4 got me used to knowing what I needed to do in this game.

If you haven't already, get Adachi's link up to 6. It has some automatic rank ups later on, but if it's not at six by that point, you won't be maxing it out.

Shit I've been completely ignoring Adachi. I'd better get on that, I guess. So many SLinks, so little time.

WHY DO YOU LIKE RISE SO MUCH?!?

Laura Bailey.

The band scene's kind of dumb but pretty harmless with a couple of good moments. Don't see why some people get worked up about it.

I don't think it was bad, just a bit silly with the whole "Haha Chie learned how to play trumpet in 2 days."

Gazoinks

Which is entirely how P4's glasses thing came to be! He thought they would look good in glasses.

I fondly remember looking forward to the explanation for that.

Yeah, didn't a piece of concept art show it originally being masks or something?

I can't decide if this game is just WAY easier than SMT4 or playing SMT4 got me used to knowing what I needed to do in this game.

Bit of both. Persona 3 & 4 are some of the easier SMT games, as far as I'm aware, especially with the changes Golden made. In OG Persona we got rid of Izanagi for a slime and we liked it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom