• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
I've never gone with anyone but my favourites game-wise no matter how easy or hard it's made it for me.

I mean, one of the floor bosses on Tartarus just now almost blew apart my Junpei/Aigis/Yukari squad with Maziodyne spam, but dammit if I didn't commit.

haha I'm pretty sure I know the exact boss you're talking about. I'm going with Akihiko/Mitsuru/Yukari now. First time I've gone all magic for a party.

Gazoinks

I only find it fun when I want to tear my hair out. P4G was unbelievably easy on normal.
Hard is for me.

It really depends for me. I often like to play on a relatively easy difficulty (Normal, usually, never Easy :p) on the first time through so I can kinda tinker around and play who I want and then go hardcore on repeats. That being said, as a big fan of SMT and Souls, I also appreciate unforgiving difficulty. :p

And I regret playing on Normal in Fire Emblem Awakening (it all comes full circle) because that game became pathetically easy in the second half. Berserker Yarne one-shots all of the things. Galeforce is for losers.

Oh yeah? Let's LARP so you can look me in the fucking face when yo' ready to die.

Well yeah, that game isn't out yet. The merits of how good the story/plot are can't be discussed one way or another.

Screw that, fucking go back to the middle ages with me and tell me whats up.

Black_knight_ver2.jpg

The big twist here is that you were actually talking to Martin Lawrence the whole time.

Moonlight

Banned
And I regret playing on Normal in Fire Emblem Awakening (it all comes full circle) because that game became pathetically easy in the second half. Berserker Yarne one-shots all of the things. Galeforce is for losers.
I always thought of FEA being a game where you get out about as much as you put in. Sort of like Pokemon breeding. I mean, you don't need to bother with EVs and IVs and breeding in Hidden Abilities to wipe the floor with the game, but it's just something you do because you want to see how far you can push it, and that has its' own sort of strategy on its' own. It's the same thing with building characters/children in FEA, where you could never grind once in the game and still not have a really difficult time with it, but then you fall into a hole of stat caps and modifiers, and Galeforce inheritance trees.

Of course, the difficulty curve is still pretty screwed up either way, if you want to see everything. I don't know who's idea it was to make the Children Paralogues damn near demand grinding and keeping the difficulty curve of the second half of the story pretty even with the first despite that.

Gazoinks

I always thought of FEA being a game where you get out about as much as you put in. Sort of like Pokemon breeding. I mean, you don't need to bother with EVs and IVs and breeding in Hidden Abilities to wipe the floor with the game, but it's just something you do because you want to see how far you can push it, and that has its' own sort of strategy on its' own.

Of course, the difficulty curve is still pretty screwed up either way, if you want to see everything. I don't know who's idea it was to make the Children Paralogues damn near demand grinding and keeping the difficulty curve of the second half of the story pretty even with the first despite that.

So in summary, Awakening teaches us the value of eugenics. :p

But yeah, Awakening's difficulty curve was out of whack. It's like the story and the paralogues were designed by two different teams who had different ideas of what the game should be like. I'll give it another playthrough on Hard or Lunatic at some point and see if that works better. Still gotta do the DLC I bought also.

CorvoSol

I got the Level 10 SLink with Marie last night. That was really, really underwhelming. I mean I guess the Level 9 was meant to be the big one since that's the one where the romance pops up, but man was that level 10 dumb. "HEY LET'S GO EAT STEAK. THE END." Whatever, it's over, it's done, and now I can actually have time for Rise. I'm in October and PK Gaming said to tell you guys when I began December. Is there anything else I desperately need to do, aside from baby sitting the worst character in the game, before December?

CorvoSol

But yeah, Awakening's difficulty curve was out of whack. It's like the story and the paralogues were designed by two different teams who had different ideas of what the game should be like. I'll give it another playthrough on Hard or Lunatic at some point and see if that works better. Still gotta do the DLC I bought also.

I was playing it on Hard and had to stop. I'm sure once I hit the basic "I'm too strong for this part" groove I'll break it again, but it's so much harder to grind in Hard Mode. I may wind up going back and buying the money DLC even though I feel that's sort of pointless since you score so much while grinding for EXP in Normal mode.

Moonlight

Banned
Anyone who's spent enough time in FEA OT could tell you that. :p

I got the Level 10 SLink with Marie last night. That was really, really underwhelming. I mean I guess the Level 9 was meant to be the big one since that's the one where the romance pops up, but man was that level 10 dumb. "HEY LET'S GO EAT STEAK. THE END." Whatever, it's over, it's done, and now I can actually have time for Rise. I'm in October and PK Gaming said to tell you guys when I began December. Is there anything else I desperately need to do, aside from baby sitting the worst character in the game, before December?
I would say try and finish the best two Social Links in the game, in Nanako and Dojima. Just try and make sure you don't get too ahead of one or the other, because then the events of both get kind of... weird. Oh, and Hisano is a great Social Link that you might have missed, since she's a bit harder to come by and needs you get far enough in another Social Link (that is, Devil). Can't really think of anything else you might want to keep track of.

I was playing it on Hard and had to stop. I'm sure once I hit the basic "I'm too strong for this part" groove I'll break it again, but it's so much harder to grind in Hard Mode. I may wind up going back and buying the money DLC even though I feel that's sort of pointless since you score so much while grinding for EXP in Normal mode.
What I did was summon SpotPass teams. It's still a little trickier and more dangerous than Reeking Box grinding, but it's a solid way to get over the big old hump in the beginning. FEA is a really front-loaded game in terms of how hard it is, no matter what difficulty you're on.

Gazoinks

I'm pretty sure I ended up with like 150,000 gold by the end of my Normal game. Partly because I forgot forging weapons was a thing, buuut...

CorvoSol

I would say try and finish the best two Social Links in the game, in Nanako and Dojima. Just try and make sure you don't get too ahead of one or the other, because then the events of both get kind of... weird. Oh, and Hisano is a great Social Link that you might have missed, since she's a bit harder to come by and needs you get far enough in another Social Link (that is, Devil). Can't really think of anything else you might want to keep track of.

What I did was summon SpotPass teams. It's still a little trickier and more dangerous than Reeking Box grinding, but it's a solid way to get over the big old hump in the beginning. FEA is a really front-loaded game in terms of how hard it is, no matter what difficulty you're on.

1. Who is Hisano? I don't think I even know who she is. I was thinking that after I'd maxed Rise then I'd max Yukiko and Chie so it wouldn't be so hard turning them down.

2. I have a bunch of DLC maps so I figure I'd go and grind one or two of them. On my save on normal where I have what I can only assume is the perfect team since I legit grinded until all parents and all children had all abilities from all classes I still couldn't survive Apotheosis.

I'm pretty sure I ended up with like 150,000 gold by the end of my Normal game. Partly because I forgot forging weapons was a thing, buuut...

Yeah I don't bother much with weapon forging, either.

Moonlight

Banned
1. Who is Hisano? I don't think I even know who she is. I was thinking that after I'd maxed Rise then I'd max Yukiko and Chie so it wouldn't be so hard turning them down.
Hisano is someone you run into during the Rank 4 Event of the Hospital social link, which is something you can start by taking the relevant job at the bulletin board near Aiya (I recommend taking all the jobs on the bulletin). Hers is one in particular I usually like to get done, or at least start, sooner rather than later because she's only available on Sundays and Holidays, and as long as it isn't raining, so the circumstances to find her can be a little tricky if you've got other stuff going on.

CorvoSol

Hisano is someone you run into during the Rank 4 Event of the Hospital social link, which is something you can start by taking the relevant job at the bulletin board near Aiya (I recommend taking all the jobs on the bulletin). Hers is one in particular I usually like to get done, or at least start, sooner rather than later because she's only available on Sundays and Holidays, and as long as it isn't raining, so the circumstances to find her can be a little tricky if you've got other stuff going on.

I did not realize I could have more than one job.

PK Gaming

Congrats

The game locks you into one of the many ending routes in December. It's infamous because it's ridiculously easy to lock yourself into the bad/neutral end. When you do get to December 3rd PM me and i'll tell you exactly what to do. (You're given a bunch of a questions and you need to answer all of them correctly)

I did not realize I could have more than one job.

Yes you can have more than one job, each of the jobs ingame will boost one of your stats(knowledge, dilligence, etc.) it just that you have to meet the requirements for some of them, like with working at the hospital you need a certain amount of dilligence to start working there or in the case of the other job, tutoring, you need to max out your understanding before you can even get the job. Also these I just mentioned have Slinks coonected to each of them (Devil and Tower).

CorvoSol

Congrats

The game locks you into one of the many ending routes in December. It's infamous because it's ridiculously easy to lock yourself into the bad/neutral end. When you do get to December 3rd PM me and i'll tell you exactly what to do. (You're given a bunch of a questions and you need to answer all of them correctly)

I thought you said December 2nd?

Also does nothing I've done prior to this point effect the ending?

PK Gaming

Sorry, that was a mistake on my part. It's December 3rd, I double and triple checked.

To answer your question: Aside from Marie's S.link? No. Everything is decided on December 3rd.

Sophia

How far you progressed on your social links determines how many clues you get to discovering the true ending. The only thing you can genuinely screw yourself over on is the new dungeon added in Persona 4 Golden however.

And it's December 3rd when the first ending choice comes up.

Congrats

It's actually not possible to lock yourself permanently into these endings at all. As long as you don't overwrite your saved game with a Cleared Save you can always go back.

Meia

It's also not just the events of Dec 3rd, but a few in the days following that, but the 3rd is the more....cryptic of the dates. I was lucky enough to happen upon the exact things I needed to say sans guide, but many others weren't(and rightfully so).

And you can have ALL of the jobs, and 3 social links are tied to them. Temperance is the day care job, Tower is the tutoring job, and Devil is the hospital janitor job. The fourth rank of the hospital job introduces you to Hisano, who is only able to hang out with you on Sundays or days off at the riverbank.

CorvoSol

Sorry, that was a mistake on my part. It's December 3rd, I double and triple checked.

To answer your question: Aside from Marie's S.link? No. Everything is decided on December 3rd.

Marie will. Aside from that, nothing in a substantial way.

How far you progressed on your social links determines how many clues you get to discovering the true ending. The only thing you can genuinely screw yourself over on is the new dungeon added in Persona 4 Golden however.

And it's December 3rd when the first ending choice comes up.

It's actually not possible to lock yourself permanently into these endings at all. As long as you don't overwrite your saved game with a Cleared Save you can always go back.

So do I need to scramble to start S-Linking everybody? Cuz I've been flat out ignoring Saki's little brother. Also do I need to level up a bunch any time soon?

'Cuz my Izanagi is straight up baller. I mean he has like, +50 in every stat (+80 in STR), knows Megidola, God's Hand, and Ma-ga or la level elements. God's Hand is a hilariously broken ability and Izanagi is only like level 50. Yu's like nearly level 60.

Meia

So do I need to scramble to start S-Linking everybody? Cuz I've been flat out ignoring Saki's little brother. Also do I need to level up a bunch any time soon?

'Cuz my Izanagi is straight up baller. I mean he has like, +50 in every stat (+80 in STR), knows Megidola, God's Hand, and Ma-ga or la level elements. God's Hand is a hilariously broken ability and Izanagi is only like level 50. Yu's like nearly level 60.

Links are a mostly fun thing, so just focus on ones you enjoy. I really liked Naoki in terms of the non-party ones, but nothing is crucial in terms of getting you through the game. To that point, I don't even think the most OP personas in the game are ones at the end of any of the social link trees, unlike the case in P3. Yoshitsune is by far the most powerful in the game probably from a raw damage output, and he's the second of his arcana.

PK Gaming

Not really. I'd focus on maxing out your party members first(for their ultimate personas) and, then S.linking with the NPCs you like.

Level-wise you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. I can't believe you got God Hang that early on, jesus.

CorvoSol

I read Witch Detective and it sounded like it was a horrible Twilight reference. Poor Yu.

Not really. I'd focus on maxing out your party members first(for their ultimate personas) and, then S.linking with the NPCs you like.

Level-wise you're pretty much set for the rest of the game. I can't believe you got God Hang that early on, jesus.

"Skill level up" cards just kept falling into my lap while I was grinding to finish the Void Quest. Izanagi is so broken now. I can almost manage to kill two golden hand enemies before they run off now.

LX_Theo

Banned
I read Witch Detective and it sounded like it was a horrible Twilight reference. Poor Yu.

"Skill level up" cards just kept falling into my lap while I was grinding to finish the Void Quest. Izanagi is so broken now. I can almost manage to kill two golden hand enemies before they run off now.

Yeah. My first playthrough I only used Izanagi. To note, I had never played a Persona or SMT game before that. The skill cards in general for leveling up Personas and their skills break the game enough to let you do that. He was level 60 something, with 90 or above in every stat.

CorvoSol

Yeah. My first playthrough I only used Izanagi. To note, I had never played a Persona or SMT game before that. The skill cards in general for leveling up Personas and their skills break the game enough to let you do that. He was level 60 something, with 90 or above in every stat.

Yeah I expect I'll actually see Izanagi with maxed out stats before the end of the game. Assuming 100 is a maxed stat.

Dantis

PERSONA QUESTION:

How would you feel if Persona 5 used proportions more like Catherine? Smaller eyes, bigger noses, bigger mouths etc. I don't think Catherine characters have the stretched torsos, necks and limbs either.

PERSONA QUESTION:

How would you feel if Persona 5 used proportions more like Catherine? Smaller eyes, bigger noses, bigger mouths etc. I don't think Catherine characters have the stretched torsos, necks and limbs either.
I would shed tears of joy if P5 had the graphics and character design Chaterine has, I love it so much.

kewlmyc

PERSONA QUESTION:

I would love it honestly. I like the previous character designs, but Catherine's design had an HD feel to them that I would like to see in an HD Persona game.

Tabby

PERSONA QUESTION:

I would love it.
I thought the art style in Catherine was great.

Meia

PERSONA QUESTION:

Are you seriously asking if we would like it if Persona 5 was like a 100 hour rpg like the past ones have been with a cast in graphics that looked as good as Catherine did with that presentation? Cause that's kind of a no-brainer. :D

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

King Fost

Neo Member
I think I came a lot closer to understanding fans of P1 and P2 after Fire Emblem: Awakening came out. I love Awakening and I think it's a fantastic game, but there's also this phenomenon of seeing so many people start the series with it and feeling like they're missing out on some superior games. It's a similar situation because while Awakening modernizes the series and adds some much needed upgrades, I can only sit there and go, "ugh, the story and characters in PoR were ever so slightly better". It's not contempt for Awakening or its fans, just a wistful sigh that otherwise awesome games are now going to get ignored for the hot new thing.

At least with Persona, people can go back and play P1 and P2 on the cheap. PoR and RD both go for over 100 bucks. :/

(It's also similar because now all anyone ever talks about are those dang waifus :p)

Man, I don't know about you guys, but experiencing the P2 duology's story makes me appreciate and like P4 even more and cements it as better than P3 for me. I think it's partly because I like P2's story so much that it does that for me; P4 borrows a lot from P2 and has a similar character driven focus that I prefer in RPGs. The Shadow Selves are an obvoius carry over, but even characters and relationships have parallels. Chie and Yukiko's relationship is similar to Ulala and Maya's, especially when it comes to Chie and Ulala's issues. Rise is clearly based off of Lisa, and Yosuke and Chie's dynamic is reminiscent of Lisa's and Eikichi's. Even rumors play an important role in both, though less so in P4 obviously. Hell, they even have that same tongue-in-cheek tone throughout, though they're both very capable of getting serious and dark when needed. I don't know why people say P2 is so "dark and edgy" compared to the rest of the games. It's really not and that's ok.

Basically it's like P4 took a lot of P2's ideas and concepts and put their own spin on things. There's a lot of the same elements in them, but they're not the same thing, which I greatly appreciate.

@FE discussion: Yeah in terms of balance, Awakening is by far the least balanced in the series and that's saying quite a lot. You don't even need to do grinding to trivialize it and the early game isn't even all that hard outside of Lunatic; you can just pair Fredrick and Sumia together and Chrom/Avatar with some support from Olivia, Panne, and Cordelia to just slaughter everything and have little issues dying.

I have to agree with Dantis when it comes to its writing, but I'd go as far as to say most of the characters AND the story are poorly written. The story is basically someone's bad FE1/3 fanfiction (with some big continuity problems and plot holes) and the characters tend to be incredibly annoying fucks. It also wants to have it both ways, either being over the top ridiculously silly or super grimdark. Not saying FE games win many awards in story but the characters at least are somewhat likable in relateable and not particularly pandering or gimmicky to a creepy otaku crowd.

PK Gaming

PERSONA QUESTION:

catherine_mouth.jpg

Yes

King Frost said:
Man, I don't know about you guys, but experiencing the P2 duology's story makes me appreciate and like P4 even more and cements it as better than P3 for me. I think it's partly because I like P2's story so much that it does that for me; P4 borrows a lot from P2 and has a similar character driven focus that I prefer in RPGs. The Shadow Selves are an obvoius carry over, but even characters and relationships have parallels. Chie and Yukiko's relationship is similar to Ulala and Maya's, especially when it comes to Chie and Ulala's issues. Rise is clearly based off of Lisa, and Yosuke and Chie's dynamic is reminiscent of Lisa's and Eikichi's. Even rumors play an important role in both, though less so in P4 obviously. Hell, they even have that same tongue-in-cheek tone throughout, though they're both very capable of getting serious and dark when needed. I don't know why people say P2 is so "dark and edgy" compared to the rest of the games. It's really not and that's ok.

Basically it's like P4 took a lot of P2's ideas and concepts and put their own spin on things. There's a lot of the same elements in them, but they're not the same thing, which I greatly appreciate.
Head-Nod.gif

Levito

Banned
Alright guys, since we're often all about posting our projects--thought I'd share a small one with you.

This Friday we'll finally be doing the Music episode of the podcast, and I got to thinking--I'd love to hear the stories of your initial reactions to the music of the series.

So often I hear people say they laughed out loud the first time Mass Destruction came on because of how goofy the song really is. After some time though it really grows on you, that kind of thing. If you've got a good story or just want to share your general thoughts on Megero's music. Please post'em on the post I just linked.

Armada and Scrafty will be on this one and I know they're both seasoned musicians. Also Doug Farrell who does all the awesome SMT piano tracks on Youtube will be coming on too! (Trueself will be on too)

When people say P2 is dark and edgy, they either usually mean the end of Innocent Sin, or maybe the game of Eternal Punishment.

Head-Nod.gif

this gif is buggin me out for some reason

Jintor

The writing was technically fine, I just found it really boring. Characters fit waaaay too much into a particular archetype and never really portrayed anything even close to any depth. I also found a lot of the characters really frustrating because of this. Because everyone only really had one side to them, there was nothing to get interested in, so outside of inherently noble characters like Chrom and Lucina, I found myself asking why I was meant to be liking them.

Great game, poor characters, in my opinion.

I actually kind of swing the other way. I think it's an okay game with great characters with a boring-ass story.

Nowhere near as fucking awesome as FE7, but I still haven't played Path of Radiance.

I have to say they really shouldn't have added grinding to the game, or at least severely limited it.

Dantis

So I drew Rise in a FeMC outfit today. It's not coloured yet, but I think it looks pretty okay.

Are you seriously asking if we would like it if Persona 5 was like a 100 hour rpg like the past ones have been with a cast in graphics that looked as good as Catherine did with that presentation? Cause that's kind of a no-brainer. :D

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

Well, I was actually meaning stylistically, as opposed to the quality.

I'm sure the actual quality will be extremely high regardless of what style Soejima goes with. :p

I have to agree with Dantis when it comes to its writing, but I'd go as far as to say most of the characters AND the story are poorly written. The story is basically someone's bad FE1/3 fanfiction (with some big continuity problems and plot holes) and the characters tend to be incredibly annoying fucks. It also wants to have it both ways, either being over the top ridiculously silly or super grimdark. Not saying FE games win many awards in story but the characters at least are somewhat likable in relateable and not particularly pandering or gimmicky to a creepy otaku crowd.

YES! EXACTLY!

I actually kind of swing the other way. I think it's an okay game with great characters with a boring-ass story.

Nowhere near as fucking awesome as FE7, but I still haven't played Path of Radiance.

I have to say they really shouldn't have added grinding to the game, or at least severely limited it.

They all felt so flat and silly to me. None of them seemed like people, they were all just caricatures.

Lunar15

This post generally reflects my tastes on it. I really enjoyed the production values, but was sad over the lack of story.

I'm hoping it's a one time thing due to the fact that they wanted to 'celebrate" all the past games in the series.

Jintor

There was clearly a tiered cast with some better characters and some flatter characters, but they all were pretty flat relatively speaking. But the designs and the inter-party interactions made up for it. They also made the support mechanic so you don't have to end-turn spam for a fucking bajillion times anymore, probably the best change they ever made.

I remember FE7 thinking that the fucking prologue was the entire game. My mind was blown when we finished.

Actually... did I ever finish FE7 properly...? Hmmm...

Gazoinks

There was clearly a tiered cast with some better characters and some flatter characters, but they all were pretty flat relatively speaking. But the designs and the inter-party interactions made up for it. They also made the support mechanic so you don't have to end-turn spam for a fucking bajillion times anymore, probably the best change they ever made.

I remember FE7 thinking that the fucking prologue was the entire game. My mind was blown when we finished.

Actually... did I ever finish FE7 properly...? Hmmm...

Eugh. I really like FE7, but I have this issue with it where I can't motivate myself to finish it. See, I played through a significant amount of it and then lost my save, and I really don't feel like having to play through the prologue again. :|

Thank god for a non-awful support system though.

Jintor

Eugh. I really like FE7, but I have this issue with it where I can't motivate myself to finish it. See, I played through a significant amount of it and then lost my save, and I really don't feel like having to play through the prologue again. :|

Thank god for a non-awful support system though.

Haha, same thing.
This was back in the days when pirates were easily duplicating GBA carts, so my shitty Malaysian-bought cart wiped itself after about three months lol

17:41 RedTheHunter and yet he draws dantis in a catsuit
17:42 Lemstar whoa
17:42 Lemstar do not want
17:42 RedTheHunter opps
17:42 bruce lol
17:42 InsaneElite #lewd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom