• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Actually Ulala is a pretty decent cook. It's one of her many hobbies.

Maya can't cook for squat though, Ulala does it for her. She does everything for her, heh.

Actually Ulala is a pretty decent cook. It's one of her many hobbies.

Maya can't cook for squat though, Ulala does it for her. She does everything for her, heh.
So we know now that

Maya can't cook

Maya can't clean

Maya has horrible driving skills

And Maya has horrible taste in clothes

FluxWaveZ

Thats what I like about her, even though she looks like Little Miss.Perfect, she still has faults.
And in the end she is still is a Positive Whoop Ass Thinking Girl.

Little miss perfect? I thought the fundamental conceit of Maya is that she is flawed (boss constantly complains about her work ethic, her room's a disaster...).

This finally came in the mail Friday after ordering it with some of my Christmas money.

t1uouBU.jpg
"The P4U Rubber Keyholder Collection Series 2" by D4!!!

Not much else to say other than my lighting is kinda off (damn incandescent lights giving a warm hue to the picture) and that Fuuka looks adorable!

Dantis

One of them not being able to cook would have been funny. But all of them? That's just kind of ridiculous.

I did think it was funny that Yu was basically the only person who could cook, though.

I actually found the cooking scenes pretty amusing. It was silly, but it at least made sense. A lot of the comedy scenes they added in Golden were like ten times more silly.

Could someone give me some suggestions on classic/"old" games? I'm especially interested in Castlevania, Metroid, Final Fantasy and Zelda games, so I'd like some opinions on which one I should actually play.

Lunar15

I think I came a lot closer to understanding fans of P1 and P2 after Fire Emblem: Awakening came out. I love Awakening and I think it's a fantastic game, but there's also this phenomenon of seeing so many people start the series with it and feeling like they're missing out on some superior games. It's a similar situation because while Awakening modernizes the series and adds some much needed upgrades, I can only sit there and go, "ugh, the story and characters in PoR were ever so slightly better". It's not contempt for Awakening or its fans, just a wistful sigh that otherwise awesome games are now going to get ignored for the hot new thing.

At least with Persona, people can go back and play P1 and P2 on the cheap. PoR and RD both go for over 100 bucks. :/

(It's also similar because now all anyone ever talks about are those dang waifus :p)

Dantis

I think I came a lot closer to understanding fans of P1 and P2 after Fire Emblem: Awakening came out. I love Awakening and I think it's a fantastic game, but there's also this phenomenon of seeing so many people start the series with it and feeling like they're missing out on some superior games. It's a similar situation because while Awakening modernizes the series and adds some much needed upgrades, I can only sit there and go, "ugh, the story and characters in PoR were ever so slightly better". It's not contempt for Awakening or its fans, just a wistful sigh that otherwise awesome games are now going to get ignored for the hot new thing.

At least with Persona, people can go back and play P1 and P2 on the cheap. PoR and RD both go for over 100 bucks. :/

(It's also similar because now all anyone ever talks about are those dang waifus :p)

To be fair, the writing in Persona 3 and 4 is still really bloody good, so it's not like there's a drop in quality. I don't know what the writing is like in the old Fire Emblem games, but in Awakening it's kiiiiinda shit.

PK Gaming

To be fair, this kind of thing is a never ending cycle within the Fire Emblem community. There are FE1-3 fans who dislike FE4(though they're in the small, small minority). There are FE fans that latched onto to 4, but dislike the future GBA titles, and there are fans who liked the GBA titles, but dislike the PoR and RD (my friend falls into this category). There's a lot of in-fighting in the FE community, probably even more than the Persona community.

But you're right, and i'm not trying to undermine your point. I love the older FE games, and I hate how Nintendo hasn't made most of them available digitally. Damn shame too, when you get all of the FF/Persona games without even trying.

People have been talking about waifus in FE since the 4th game ;p

still not sure put this on on the spoiler or not
3c2e3bc82040.jpg
lol
Here is a pastebin with some of the victory quotes from various characters in P4A2, particularly the Shadow characters. It's far from comprehensive, and I take no credit for any of the translation work.
Can't wait to read through all there is so far, I really haven't been keeping up with this game like I should have been
Play Monster Party. It'll be a life-changing experience.
I wonder what happened to that restoration project to try to make the game what it was before release...

FluxWaveZ

Here is a pastebin with some of the victory quotes from various characters in P4A2, particularly the Shadow characters. It's far from comprehensive, and I take no credit for any of the translation work.

Some of those translations are a bit rough, but thanks for posting this. Wanted something like this for forever.

Edit: Sounds like Shadow Yu will play off of the concept that manipulating others and telling them what they want to hear forms bonds that are ultimately false. How he acts in Teddie's arcade mode supports that.

CorvoSol

To be fair, this kind of thing is a never ending cycle within the Fire Emblem community. There are FE1-3 fans who dislike FE4(though they're in the small, small minority). There are FE fans that latched onto to 4, but dislike the future GBA titles, and there are fans who liked the GBA titles, but dislike the PoR and RD (my friend falls into this category). There's a lot of in-fighting in the FE community, probably even more than the Persona community.

But you're right, and i'm not trying to undermine your point. I love the older FE games, and I hate how Nintendo hasn't made most of them available digitally. Damn shame too, when you get all of the FF/Persona games without even trying.

You get this in every series. Like the curmudgeonly FF fans who have been around since square 1 and chew their hair out at the devotees of FF15 when that game has not been out yet for over half a decade.

Lunar15

I think it really applies to any long standing series that changes over time (see: Zelda and Final Fantasy), but I feel like FE's and Persona's changes were pretty similar.

The point is that I now better understand the sentiment of loving newer games a lot, while still feeling at least a little grumpy that some people will never look back now that the series has moved on to other priorities. It's a "I Feel You, Bro" moment, more than a comment about the quality of any one game.

Dantis: I didn't have too many problems with the character dialogue in Awakening, but the story was utter crap. 8-4 did the translation for Awakening, where it's my understanding that Treehouse did the previous games. The localization was perfectly fine in my opinion. The game itself was just far less serious than previous games. I welcomed a little more brevity compared to the melodrama of previous games, but there were times when it was a little too tongue-in-cheek.

PK: I'd love for them to do a PoR/RD re-release on the 3DS. It ain't gonna happen, but lord, it'd be perfect. FE belongs on a handheld, end of story. Makes me wonder why SMTxFE is a console game.

EMT0

Banned
Some of those translations are a bit rough, but thanks for posting this. Wanted something like this for forever.

Edit: Sounds like Shadow Yu will play off of the concept that manipulating others and telling them what they want to hear forms bonds that are ultimately false. How he acts in Teddie's arcade mode supports that.

P3MC am cry.

Lunar15

I love how both Shadow Yosuke and Shadow Junpei are making fun of the other for being second banana.

If that game doesn't end with them being either best friends or bitter rivals, someone fucked up somewhere.

Dantis

Dantis: I didn't have too many problems with the character dialogue in Awakening, but the story was utter crap. 8-4 did the translation for Awakening, where it's my understanding that Treehouse did the previous games. The localization was perfectly fine in my opinion. The game itself was just far less serious than previous games. I welcomed a little more brevity compared to the melodrama of previous games, but there were times when it was a little too tongue-in-cheek.

The writing was technically fine, I just found it really boring. Characters fit waaaay too much into a particular archetype and never really portrayed anything even close to any depth. I also found a lot of the characters really frustrating because of this. Because everyone only really had one side to them, there was nothing to get interested in, so outside of inherently noble characters like Chrom and Lucina, I found myself asking why I was meant to be liking them.

Great game, poor characters, in my opinion.

Levito

Banned
Every long running franchise has entry points, and the old guard vs. the new blood thing.

Resident Evil -- A lot of old school fans despise Resident Evil 4 and the path it set the franchise down. Especially when people claim RE4 fixed RE's controls, even though the controls are identical aside from the aiming.

Metal Gear -- Each time a new game comes out, fans shun it and embrace the prior entry. I even remember when MGS3 came out, the fanbase largely hate it because the gameplay wasn't as refined as MGS2.

Final Fantasy -- Even before FF shat all over itself with 13, people were always divided with this series. There's a split between SNES area fans and those that came on with FF VII.

Zelda -- Yeah, no explanation needed. Basically the same as Metal Gear.

Fallout -- Fallout 1 & 2 fans for the most part absolutely despise Fallout 3. Mostly because it was far limited from a mechanical sense when compared to the old games.

Really though, in nearly every case, it's just a matter of people being attached to what they played first. I played Resident Evil and Fallout long before Resident Evil 4 and Fallout 3 were released. Games like Fallout 2 and Resident Evil 2 are barely acknowledged by fans that jumped on each series with their new incarnations. However at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. I really don't get anything out of people going back and playing Fallout 2. I know it's an amazing game, and that's all that really matters.

I've always found old guard lambasting newer games(and their fans) pretty sad. As mentioned many times previously, its always had the same tone as this band was cool until people aside from me knew about them.

Now encouraging people to go back and try the older entries--sure that's awesome. It can be done without saying "this thing you like is shit, play the thing I like" too! :D

Every long running franchise has entry points, and the old guard vs. the new blood thing.

Resident Evil -- A lot of old school fans despise Resident Evil 4 and the path it set the franchise down. Especially when people claim RE4 fixed RE's controls, even though the controls are identical aside from the aiming.

Metal Gear -- Each time a new game comes out, fans shun it and embrace the prior entry. I even remember when MGS3 came out, the fanbase largely hate it because the gameplay wasn't as refined as MGS2.

Final Fantasy -- Even before FF shat all over itself with 13, people were always divided with this series. There's a split between SNES area fans and those that came on with FF VII.

Zelda -- Yeah, no explanation needed. Basically the same as Metal Gear.

Fallout -- Fallout 1 & 2 fans for the most part absolutely despise Fallout 3. Mostly because it was far limited from a mechanical sense when compared to the old games.

Really though, in nearly every case, it's just a matter of people being attached to what they played first. I played Resident Evil and Fallout long before Resident Evil 4 and Fallout 3 were released. Games like Fallout 2 and Resident Evil 2 are barely acknowledged by fans that jumped on each series with their new incarnations. However at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. I really don't get anything out of people going back and playing Fallout 2. I know it's an amazing game, and that's all that really matters.

I've always found old guard lambasting newer games(and their fans) pretty sad. As mentioned many times previously, its always had the same tone as this band was cool until people aside from me knew about them.

Now encouraging people to go back and try the older entries--sure that's awesome. It can be done without saying "this thing you like is shit, play the thing I like" too! :D

My kawaii mc's are better than your kawaii mc's because they hade interesting arcanas instead of FOOL, FOOL and FOOL

CorvoSol

The writing was technically fine, I just found it really boring. Characters fit waaaay too much into a particular archetype and never really portrayed anything even close to any depth. I also found a lot of the characters really frustrating because of this. Because everyone only really had one side to them, there was nothing to get interested in, so outside of inherently noble characters like Chrom and Lucina, I found myself asking why I was meant to be liking them.

Great game, poor characters, in my opinion.

I liked a lot of Awakening's cast, but I will give you that some characters I could not bring myself to like. Henry was a big one. He was just really, really awful. But then you had characters like Gregor who were impossible not to like.

Levito

Banned
My kawaii mc's are better than your kawaii mc's because they hade interesting arcanas instead of FOOL, FOOL and FOOL

You should play real RPGs like Wasteland and Fallout. Megaten is chickenshit Finally Fantasyed knockoff clown shoes,

YOU CAN KILL CHILDREN IN OG FALLOUT, SO FUCKING MANLY.

CorvoSol

Okay but there are people who seriously say that FFXV is the best Final Fantasy with the best plot. Not "Is going to be" but "Is". I'm gonna lambast them.

Acid08

Banned
Okay but there are people who seriously say that FFXV is the best Final Fantasy with the best plot. Not "Is going to be" but "Is". I'm gonna lambast them.

I don't even believe that game is coming out. I doubt I'll believe it even after I own it and am 15 hours in.

Levito

Banned
Pull out your pen and paper and your 20 sided dice noob

Oh yeah? Let's LARP so you can look me in the fucking face when yo' ready to die.

Well yeah, that game isn't out yet. The merits of how good the story/plot are can't be discussed one way or another.

Gazoinks

You should play real RPGs like Wasteland and Fallout. Megaten is chickenshit Finally Fantasyed knockoff clown shoes,

YOU CAN KILL CHILDREN IN OG FALLOUT, SO FUCKING MANLY.

Except in the European version of FO2 where the kids' sprites were removed from the game, but their dialog wasn't so you'd just have playful ghosts following you around in towns. :p

Moonlight

Banned
Awakening was somewhat hit and miss when it came to its' characters, but I always felt the strangest thing about the game was that some of its' strongest, or potentially strongest characters - that is, Tiki & Anna got some of the fewest amount of supports. And as a general rule, I felt the children were generally much stronger characters than their parents - Morgan (F), Lucina, Owain, Inigo and Cynthia are all characters that I really felt as tremendously likable. What helped especially was that their supports weren't necessarily tied down by an immediate and inexplicable obligation to get hitched as soon as they hit S. Things had a somewhat more natural progression for most children supports.

vs. Akihiko:
"Hehe, and one from senpai! I did it! Who's da man?"
And I think what I'm saying now is "who's da main?".

It's still Yukari.

This is still like the worst thing in the universe. I've played almost every FE, and PoR & RD are still this big glaring hole in the canon for me that I don't see getting filled in any time soon.

Sucks even worse because I could swear I saw both of them on the cheap (or at least, a hell of a lot cheaper than they are now) a few years ago at a local EB, but never assumed it'd get so tricky to find.

I definitely get what you mean, though, especially as someone who really adored FE7 in particular, and knowing that there are tons of people who came into the games by way of Awakening who would probably like it as much as I did that might never wind up trying it kind of bums me out.

Acid08

Banned
Yosuke is a turbo-baller with the right skills. Kanji makes the game easymode, so he's not a very enjoyable party member.

Best character in P4, though.

But having to listen to Yosuke's voice in story sections AND in dungeons is just a huge bummer man, it's making me sad just thinking about it.

And I greatly enjoyed watching Kanji pummel shit with fucking chairs and desks and boards. Super enjoyable imo. The game is easy no matter who you choose.

Gazoinks

Yeah. I actually kinda like the easy difficulty because it let me use my favorites characters in my party instead of having to really worry about optimizing.

Moonlight

Banned
I've never gone with anyone but my favourites game-wise no matter how easy or hard it's made it for me.

I mean, one of the floor bosses on Tartarus just now almost blew apart my Junpei/Aigis/Yukari squad with Maziodyne spam, but dammit if I didn't commit.

Tabby

Yeah. I actually kinda like the easy difficulty because it let me use my favorites characters in my party instead of having to really worry about optimizing.

I only find it fun when I want to tear my hair out. P4G was unbelievably easy on normal.
Hard is for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom