• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Random P4 question:
I'm trying to get the Naoto route going so I can get the scene and outfit on Christmas Eve, but Naoto isn't actually available anymore since Nanako got kidnapped. All of my party members are just standing around demanding to go rescue her instead. If I just go ahead and finish Heaven will they be available for S. Links or do I have to actually wait until after all the Nanako "events."

The other question is whether I can even do the Fox's S. Link quests - I have Rank 4 with him, but I can't finish the quest with the stickers since you have to (apparently) get the sticker from Nanako, and she's obviously not around. Its not a huge deal, if not.

CorvoSol

Out of curiosity, what caused you to finally pick up the game?

GOTY

That's a good question. I think if I had to name an actual cause I'd give 2:

FIRST, GAF did a "Let's Play Final Fantasy!" thread for Final Fantasy's anniversary and I binged like a mother and played Every single Final Fantasy up to and including 9, as well as a bazillion spinoffs. I don't really have an English word for this, but in Portuguese I'd say I enjoei which is roughly like a kid who eats too much candy and can't stomach it again for awhile. So I turned to the FF thread for other RPG experiences, and they listed me off to things like SMT and DQ and Tales.

Then Nintendo was like "Hey you own Fire Emblem Awakening and we know you want AA5 and that's gonna run you 30 bucks which we will give you for free if you buy SMT4." So I did. And SMT4 was a good, solid game, if a bit underwhelming in places.

Then I picked up and played a small bit of P3P and liked what I saw. Then I got a Vita for Christmas and a gift card. So I was like "Hey I've seen P4G mentioned on GAF in Vita threads a bunch. Maybe I should check it out."

So it was but was not a blind purchase, since I'd played SMT4 and a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiny fraction of P3P.

And that's how Corvo bought one of his now all time favorite RPGs.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT
Dojima just walked in on me teaching Teddie how to Glomp. Oh God no no no no

EMT0

Banned
EDIT: HOLY SHIT
Dojima just walked in on me teaching Teddie how to Glomp. Oh God no no no no

One of my favorite scenes in the game. I was half-expecting Dojima to snicker every time he saw Yu and Teddie together from that point onwards.

Random P4 question:
I'm trying to get the Naoto route going so I can get the scene and outfit on Christmas Eve, but Naoto isn't actually available anymore since Nanako got kidnapped. All of my party members are just standing around demanding to go rescue her instead. If I just go ahead and finish Heaven will they be available for S. Links or do I have to actually wait until after all the Nanako "events."

The other question is whether I can even do the Fox's S. Link quests - I have Rank 4 with him, but I can't finish the quest with the stickers since you have to (apparently) get the sticker from Nanako, and she's obviously not around. Its not a huge deal, if not.
You have to save her first before you can do any social links with the investigation team.

And I think you're boned there.

CorvoSol

One of my favorite scenes in the game. I was half-expecting Dojima to snicker every time he saw Yu and Teddie together from that point onwards.

I was terrified Nanako was gonna ask what was going on.

EDIT: Two more SLinks with Dojima. I wonder if I have time to pull it off?

Corvo, if you do crave more Megaten after this, maybe you should try the Digital Devil Saga series on PS2, those two games are basically the "Final Fantasy X" of Megaten, and Devil Survivor 2, it has a very similar mechanic to Persona's Social Links, the FATE System, and it also runs on a timer, but hours in a week, instead of days in a year. The gameplay of DeSu 2 is a strategy rpg however.

CorvoSol

Corvo, if you do crave more Megaten after this, maybe you should try the Digital Devil Saga series on PS2, those two games are basically the "Final Fantasy X" of Megaten, and Devil Survivor 2, it has a very similar mechanic to Persona's Social Links, the FATE System, and it also runs on a timer, but hours in a week, instead of days in a year. The gameplay of DeSu 2 is a strategy rpg however.

I love SRPGs, but I think I'm gonna hit up P3P after this game.

Lunar15

Ok, so fess up: who else thought this series was way too anime and passed on it longer than they should have? Because I sure as hell did.

I was all, "This is one o' dem waifu games."

I'm usually pretty open minded about games too. I'll pretty much try anything and anime doesn't bother me, (I fucking love one piece for crying out loud) but something about Persona just looked too 'slice-of-life", and I didn't think that would translate that well to my tastes.

CorvoSol

Ok, so fess up: who else thought this series was way too anime and passed on it longer than they should have? Because I sure as hell did.

I'm so glad I've grown out of that. It would've kept me from enjoying this, Fire Emblem Awakening, and a whole slew of other games.

Lunar15

I'm so glad I've grown out of that. It would've kept me from enjoying this, Fire Emblem Awakening, and a whole slew of other games.

That's the weird part: I've never really been that way. Persona just, for some reason, really didn't look like my type of thing. Can't explain it now.

kiriin

Persona just looked too 'slice-of-life", and I didn't think that would translate that well to my tastes.

? Dont know what you mean by that...it a genre in ln/manga/anime that doesnt share much of a connection.

For me it was mainly drawn from the first impression of its art design and presentation.

CorvoSol

SHEESH,
Nanako, Dojima, and Sayoko are all level 8. They're so damn close to that max point, but January's nearly over. Still have to 11 Yousuke and Teddie, and get as far with Naoto as possible.

SO MUCH FRIENDSHIP SO LITTLE TIME.

Gazoinks

I'm usually pretty open minded about games too. I'll pretty much try anything and anime doesn't bother me, (I fucking love one piece for crying out loud) but something about Persona just looked too 'slice-of-life", and I didn't think that would translate that well to my tastes.

I actually played Persona 4 completely on a whim. Literally. I was just sitting around one day and I was like "Hey, I never played Persona 4, that was supposed to be good. I should play it." And the rest was history. :D

Lunar15

? Dont know what you mean by that...it a genre in ln/manga/anime that doesnt share much of a connection.

For me it was mainly drait'sfrom the first impression of its art design and presentation.

Don't know how to explain it. A bunch of kids in high school wasn't that appealing, I guess?

It wasn't that I thought it looked bad, just looked like something I could pass on. I had heard great things about, but just kind of ignored it. Thankfully, I had friends that came around and sold me on it by saying how well written the dialogue was, and I think that's what pushed me into it.

I'll be real. I saw this box art as a kid:

RevelationPersonacover.jpg

I thought that monster looked boss, so I bought it, and the rest is history.

If I had seen this as a kid:

I probably wouldn't have given this game a chance, I too, am glad I grew out of the generic anime-ish hate. It let me experience some fucking awesome games.

My persona experience was literally seeing that it P3FES was $10 on PSN, hearing it was pretty good, and then trying it out. Now it's one of my favorite games ever.

I got super hyped up for P4 when I was watching some of the giantbomb endurance run and played it obsessively for a week to where
Nanako is thrown into the TV
before I headed off to college. I haven't touched it since and have no desire to go back to it. Go figure.

LX_Theo

Banned

For a time games like this were not even on my radar. Nothing against them, they just never caught my eye. I got P4G late 2012 just because it was highly rated. Guess I grew out of anything I had against it without even realizing it.

kiriin

Don't know how to explain it. A bunch of kids in high school wasn't that appealing, I guess?

It wasn't that I thought it looked bad, just looked like something I could pass on. I had heard great things about, but just kind of ignored it. Thankfully, I had friends that came around and sold me on it by saying how well written the dialogue was, and I think that's what pushed me into it.

Fair enough, just had dfferent first impression of the series.

CorvoSol

How many free days do I get in
February
to develop my Social Links? I've wrapped up everyone except
Teddie, Naoto, the Dojimas and Sayoko, who will likely be finished real soon.
All told that means I need about 10 more SLink days plus the time I need to make sure every relationship works out.

I doubt I'll finish
Naoto
, but if I could finish these I'd be fine, since it would mean the only SLinks I'd begun and failed to finish would be
Ai and Margaret.

February
All told that means I need about 10 more SLink days plus the time I need to make sure every relationship works out.

I doubt I'll finish
Naoto
, but if I could finish these I'd be fine, since it would mean the only SLinks I'd begun and failed to finish would be
Ai and Margaret.

I think about 10 to 13 days.

kiriin

February

I doubt I'll finish
Naoto
Ai and Margaret.
Game will fast travel to March after Valentines Day. But that what ng+ is for.

PK Gaming

February

I doubt I'll finish
Naoto
Ai and Margaret.
You've only got 5 days of free time
From February 1st ---> 5th
. From the 6th up until the 10th is exam time, and the
11-12-13 is the ski trip + bonus dungeon

I'm glad you maxed out Kanji's S.link, it was looking pretty touch an go for a while there!

CorvoSol

You've only got 5 days of free time
From February 1st ---> 5th
. From the 6th up until the 10th is exam time, and the
11-12-13 is the ski trip + bonus dungeon

I'm glad you maxed out Kanji's S.link, it was looking pretty touch an go for a while there!

Oh well if I only have 5 days, yeah. Dang, I was so close to finishing
Nanako and Dojima
I thought I had at least 10 days.

Meia

I dunno, I'm confident I can finish everyone except
Naoto.

Your problem is most of those links are at night, and the 8 to 9 and 9 to 10 usually require more than 1 visit each. I'd probably cut out the nurse as I'd imagine that Dojima and Nanako are simply more important.

Your days are really free, so you may have time for more than you think. Then again, you could draw relationship fortunes during the day for the night ones to buy yourself more time with them(reloading when you don't get a "Great" blessing naturally). You won't finish everything, so decide what you want to do.

CorvoSol

Currently
Nanako is at 9, Sayoko is at 9, and Dojima is at 8 ready to move to 9.
I'd love to get
Naoto higher but its a crapshoot anyway. The game kind of fucks you over with "you don't have enough courage!" that late in the game. Definitely a NG+ deal.

Meia

Unless you follow a guide, it's virtually impossible to do everything in terms of maxing stats and then maxing all the links. It's doable with some wiggle room late(in my playthrough only Kanji isn't done in terms of rank, and I just started January), but there's not too much time to screw around.

Still, you have to do a full second playthrough anyway if you wanted to platinum, so there ya go. :D

Gazoinks

I did pretty poorly with my time when I played P4. Only managed to max the party members, Dojima, and Nanako. All the side characters will have to deal with their own problems!

Kazzy

Currently
Nanako is at 9, Sayoko is at 9, and Dojima is at 8 ready to move to 9.
I'd love to get
Naoto higher but its a crapshoot anyway. The game kind of fucks you over with "you don't have enough courage!" that late in the game. Definitely a NG+ deal.

You really should have enough courage though! Get to stepping!

Just be thankful you aren't subject to the max stat requirements for Fuuka, Yukari, and Mitsuru that Persona 3 forces on you. I can imagine people getting really annoyed at not being able to get their academics up in time, as well as ace a test - even if what awaits you is a pretty boring S-link!

FluxWaveZ

It was monthly, actually.

Oh, that's what I had initially assumed. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention during the magazine's first run. Doesn't seem like it's going to be monthly this time around unless they're just taking a hiatus for January after #Re:birth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I didn't know it existed. Waifus wouldn't have been a problem going in since I like farming waifus.

CorvoSol

You really should have enough courage though! Get to stepping!

Just be thankful you aren't subject to the max stat requirements for Fuuka, Yukari, and Mitsuru that Persona 3 forces on you. I can imagine people getting really annoyed at not being able to get their academics up in time, as well as ace a test - even if what awaits you is a pretty boring S-link!

I do NOW, I have max courage now, but I was a rank too low at the time. And yeah, how does that work in P3? I need to max out a stat before I can even begin the Social Link?

Acid08

Banned
I do NOW, I have max courage now, but I was a rank too low at the time. And yeah, how does that work in P3? I need to max out a stat before I can even begin the Social Link?
Max academics & get a highest test score for Mitsuru
Max charm for Yukari
Max courage for Fuuka

I'm on
1/1
in P3 and I'm afraid I won't be able to max Mitsuru. At rank 6 now.

Kazzy

Pretty much, they're not available initially anyway, so you theoretically do have time to raise them. It's actually one of those things that I don't begrudge people knowing before the fact, especially as some of the requirements are very specific and time consuming. Academics is by far the most demanding personal stat to raise, so it really should give you fair warning, but it doesn't!
A vague allusion from talking to Mitsuru doesn't count, before someone points it out!

Max courage for Mitsuru
Max charm for Yukari
Max courage for Fuuka

I'm on
1/1
in P3 and I'm afraid I won't be able to max Mitsuru. At rank 6 now.

Mitsuru requires academics, not courage. You also have to have the highest score in at least one exam.

Meia

As others said, plus Mitsuru I *believe* you must max rank one of the exams to just get the flag to start the link, and then it'll only work when you have max Academics. And yeah, specific story elements need to happen to even start Yukari's and Mitsuru's(the latter doesn't start until late November iirc, with Yukari starting during the summer).

If I'm saying you need to follow a guide for a max social link run in Persona 4, Persona 3 is 10x worse. You may have half a month of free time at the end of the guide for Persona 4, for Persona 3 you have one or two days of free time.

Acid08

Banned
Pretty much, they're not available initially anyway, so you theoretically do have time to raise them. It's actually one of those things that I don't begrudge people knowing before the fact, especially as some of the requirements are very specific and time consuming. Academics is by far the most demanding personal stat to raise, so it really should give you fair warning, but it doesn't!
A vague allusion from talking to Mitsuru doesn't count, before someone points it out!

Mitsuru requires academics, not courage. You also have to have the highest score in at least one exam.
Christ you're right, brain moving faster than my fingers were typing.

CorvoSol

So uh, Feb. 5th
And I can SLink with Nanako and Dojima if the game would just LET Me. Are there any more chances to do so with them or should I reload?

EDIT: NVM just gonna reload and try my luck.

EDIT: Fuck it I'll at least finish
Dojima's
I ONLY NEEDED TWO MORE DAYS, MAN.

EDIT AGAIN:
Got Dojima and Sayoko. No Nanako or Naoto for me :(

Meia

So uh, Feb. 5th
And I can SLink with Nanako and Dojima if the game would just LET Me. Are there any more chances to do so with them or should I reload?

EDIT: NVM just gonna reload and try my luck.

EDIT: Fuck it I'll at least finish
Dojima's
I ONLY NEEDED TWO MORE DAYS, MAN.

EDIT AGAIN:
Got Dojima and Sayoko. No Nanako or Naoto for me :(

Like we said, Game +. Just enjoy the following stuff, it's fantastic. :D

pan-hime

Oh, that's what I had initially assumed. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention during the magazine's first run. Doesn't seem like it's going to be monthly this time around unless they're just taking a hiatus for January after #Re:birth.
according to amazon.co.jp and the magazine, #Re:Birth is the January 18th issue.

FluxWaveZ

according to amazon.co.jp and the magazine, #Re:Birth is the January 18th issue.

So they're counting the issue that technically released last month as the January issue? That's kinda weird, but then I guess that would mean there's a chance it'll be monthly after all.

CorvoSol

Thank you, God, for sending me Yosuke to bail me out of
everybody trying to tear my arm off during this ski trip.

Yosuke is lifebro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom