• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
fj6.png

This chart always favors FF, too. Crazy. Really shows how SE's dominance in the genre has faded over the years.

Quoting myself:
Final Fantasy has always been an incredibly popular series in Japan, can't say I'm surprised. Glad to see some Persona love on that list though.

In Famitsu this week:
A Vita rhythm game about high school girls dancing; information on a PS3 title that's a highly anticipated sequel to a popular franchise; Dark Souls II; and readers vote on what titles they think will make a big splash in 2014. Don't miss it!

*Editor's note: None of these things are related to Persona. I mean, it's possible Persona-related material will show up, but these things that are specifically advertised on the website are not Persona-related. It's pretty likely P5 will be on that list, sure, but don't get too excited for any actual information.

Hey I was correct.

Lunar15

I'm still not convinced that XV will be any good. But I'm the kind of grump that hasn't really liked FF games in quite some time. I'm a bad metric for any kind of FF hype.

Still, nothing in those videos looked all that great. I expect disappointment from fans. I'm praying that Persona 5 doesn't suffer the same fate.

CorvoSol

I'm still not convinced that XV will be any good. But I'm the kind of grump that hasn't really liked FF games in quite some time. I'm a bad metric for any kind of FF hype.

Still, nothing in those videos looked all that great. I expect disappointment from fans. I'm praying that Persona 5 doesn't suffer the same fate.

I just have a hard time believing that the decade its been in development has been properly spent.

That said Final Fantasy Type-0's English patch will come out soon, and there is a Grade A Final Fantasy, people.

EDIT: Also the Hardboiled costume is the best costume in the game. Dat coat over da shoulder.

You should play Bravely Default for the Nintendo 3DS game system.

I know that "haha versus13 /XV still hasn't come out yet" is a dead horse at this point, but man, that whole fabula nova crystallis debacle was announced when i was a freshmen in college. What other miniseries did SE announce back in the middle of last decade? I know there was World of Mana, Ivalice Alliance and Compilation of FF7, but were there any more?

Yeah none of that video looked great, It looked amazing. Can't please everyone. I'm sure people will love it, others will hate it.
Same can be said about P5 really. I bet some fans will be disappointed as well.

Squire

Banned
But... it's still favoring FF?

That's sort of what I meant. FFXV (formerly Versus) basically always tops the list as FFXIII did before it; it can't really be unseated at this point, so no one expects it to. P5 at #2 potentially indicates a pretty notable surge in interest. You may as well say it topped the list.

I'm more surprised that a Wii U game is on there.

I had never thought about it, but someone in the thread for this mentioned how the 3DS port will almost certainly sell much better.

So that's a little embarrassing.

I'm kinda right there with you. Nomura hasn't actually released a game in far too many years for me to go around acting like XV is guaranteed to be the cat's meow and what they showed at E3 looked like a generic action-game wannabe anyway.

I haven't given up hope, but I'm not gonna bet the farm, either.

Lunar15

[/B]Yeah none of that video looked great, It looked amazing. Can't please everyone. I'm sure people will love it, others will hate it.
Same can be said about P5 really. I bet some fans will be disappointed as well.

Absolutely. FF has more in its favor: Persona's coming off a win, FF is coming off a disappointment. There's a higher chance of fans being disappointed with P5 than they are FF.

i predict that XV will have good reviews and bad reviews and some people will enjoy it and some people will say it is the Death of Final Fantasy (they will also mention what their first final fantasy game was/how long they have been playing the series). this is based purely on the "Final Fantasy" title and has nothing to do with the game's content.

FluxWaveZ

That's sort of what I meant. FFXV (formerly Versus) basically always tops the list as FFXIII did before it; it can't really be unseated at this point, so no one expects it to. P5 at #2 potentially indicates a pretty notable surge in interest. You may as well say it topped the list.

Ah, I see. Yes, P5 at #2 definitely shows how popular, at least among enthusiast circles, the Persona series has gotten. It makes me glad.

Ah, I see. Yes, P5 at #2 definitely shows how popular, at least among enthusiast circles, the Persona series has gotten. It makes me glad.

Same here, happy to see Japan is still excited for JRPGS in general. Seeing XV on the list is also fantastic since we have been waiting for versus XIII since 2006.

FluxWaveZ

And Ultimax's last empty placeholder is probably being held for an eventual PS3-version website with information about story, characters, etc..
phoenix-document(b).gif

I don't think this is true simply because of the website's URL. The only difference between the original P4U website and this one is that the "p4u" became a "p4u2", leading me to believe that this will be the official site for the console game. Add to that the fact that it's advertised as such with the "Summer 2014 for PS3" headline and the fact that ASW's handling the arcade only website. They'll probably update the website when they feel the need to.

Resurrecting this dialogue to say that it was for the Taito tournament of P4A2 currently taking place, which means that there are no more mystery placeholders concerning P4A2. The site will most likely be updated like PQ's was, eventually.

Squire

Banned
Resurrecting this dialogue to say that it was for the Taito tournament of P4A2 currently taking place, which means that there are no more mystery placeholders concerning P4A2. The site will most likely be updated like PQ's was, eventually.

For the next few months I suspect we'll only hear about events and the occasional balance updates and then later in the spring they'll start talking about what's being added to the console version.

I can't wait for that, btw. More excited than I initially realized. P4A is so good.

FluxWaveZ

For the next few months I suspect we'll only hear about events and the occasional balance updates and then later in the spring they'll start talking about what's being added to the console version.

I can't wait for that, btw. More excited than I initially realized. P4A is so good.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I wouldn't expect any gameplay update until the Taito tournament is finished in late March (though they might deploy that emergency DP > OMC bug fix sooner rather than later).

Right now, their media focus is on PQ, which would lead into P4A2 in about spring, I would also think. 4gamer did tease a follow-up article to their previous one which might talk a bit more about the game's story, though that might happen in spring as well.

Edit: Though, I'd expect a localization announcement before that. Personally, I'm gunning for early-mid February.

Dantis

I was reading something earlier, and it said Tundra.

I misread it as Tsundere.

You've broken me, GAF.

And Kaneko can make appealing characters, just look at Tae Asakura and the Blonde Young Man. Chock full of charisma.

I don't think too many of his characters are very appealing. There's Sera, I guess?

Dumb Persona 4 question:

Is there a recommended level/persona for Kanji's dungeon?

And is there anywhere I can buy stuff to restore SP or only the items in the dungeons?

Thanks!

Dantis

Dumb Persona 4 question:

Is there a recommended level/persona for Kanji's dungeon?

And is there anywhere I can buy stuff to restore SP or only the items in the dungeons?

Thanks!

The fox lets you restore SP, but is expeeeeensive.

Recommended level would be around 25.

The fox lets you restore SP, but is expeeeeensive.

Recommended level would be around 25.

Jesus christttt.

Beat the shit out of the miniboss relatively easily so I figured I was at least progressing alright but I'm only at 18 on floor 8.

Is there a recommended element I should be aware of for Skills? I have one with the zio that's an area affect, mabufu and the medium damage fire attack. Plus two of my party members know Media. Anything I'm missing?

Obviously, I'm hoping to find the Guru(?) (Wind attack) skill card somewhere soon even though Yosuke knows it.

FireSol

Began to play SMT Devil Survivor...while im suck at SRPG and only at the beginning of it but I began to like it! Demon auction idea is fun, I loled when after i won auction Kobold asked me for double payment because he is poor

and Yuzu Tanikawa...like her design

73b80329ff6a.jpg

Dantis

That Yuzu picture is in kind of a weird style. I don't think I like it.

Jesus christttt.

Beat the shit out of the miniboss relatively easily so I figured I was at least progressing alright but I'm only at 18 on floor 8.

Is there a recommended element I should be aware of for Skills? I have one with the zio that's an area affect, mabufu and the medium damage fire attack. Plus two of my party members know Media. Anything I'm missing?

Obviously, I'm hoping to find the Guru(?) (Wind attack) skill card somewhere soon even though Yosuke knows it.

There's no real right and wrong, just make sure you have a good variety within your party.

Also, be aware of buffs, Dekaja and Dekunda. Very useful skills on boss fights.

Well that's one mystery solved! The PQ and P4D sites are still filled with blank boxes at the bottom, so I'm really curious what those end up being...

RaikuHebi

Banned
How long do you guys think Persona 5 will take to localise?

3 took more than a year, 4 was only 5 months (for both versions) and SMTIV was only a month. Though I imagine it has less stuff to translate than Persona?

Is 2014 crazy talk? I'm guessing March 2015 at the latest?

Squire

Banned
So where is this list from?

What is this chart about? Does it track hype for Japanese games or something?

It's the Famitsu Most Wanted. They poll their readers every few months or so (probably every quarter, actually) to see which games they anticipate most. Persona 5 at number 2 is pretty impressive.

Though it should be noted that Famitsu readers have liked the series for a while. I can't remember if it was Famitsu readers Top 100 RPGs or Top 100 stories, but Persona 4 came in at number 2 on one of those lists, right behind FFX (which topped both, yes).

Edit: Though, I'd expect a localization announcement before that. Personally, I'm gunning for early-mid February.

I really expected January. Shocked it hasn't happened yet, so hopefully you're right.

Dantis

Well that's one mystery solved! The PQ and P4D sites are still filled with blank boxes at the bottom, so I'm really curious what those end up being...

That is pretty interesting, actually. Five blanks on either page.

I really expected January. Shocked it hasn't happened yet, so hopefully you're right.

I'm shocked we haven't heard more in general, tbh. We've heard pretty much nothing of value so far this year.

Sallokin

I'm curious what new info the next Persona magazine will have. If there's a January issue it should go on sale in the next few days.

FluxWaveZ

I'm curious what new info the next Persona magazine will have. If there's a January issue it should go on sale in the next few days.

Why do you think this? The first issue of the revival was on sale on December 5th, and we found out about it on November 19th. There hasn't been an update on the unofficial official Persona magazine website, either.

Starting to think the magazine might be quarterly, so one in March, one in June, one in September and the last one in December.

Sallokin

Why do you think this? The first issue of the revival was on sale on December 5th, and we found out about it on November 19th. There hasn't been an update on the unofficial official Persona magazine website, either.

Starting to think the magazine might be quarterly, so one in March, one in June, one in September and the last one in December.

I thought I remembered a posting a while back that discussed another issue in January, but I may be thinking about the God Eater 2 magazine.

EDIT: GE Magazine hits in March, so I don't know why I got confused. Time for bed methinks.

Dantis

It was quarterly previous too, I believe.

CorvoSol

PERSONA 4 UPDATE OF TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

My team is SO DAMN BROKEN. Like seriously Izanagi has almost maxed stats and everyone is between level 70 and level 80. I cakewalked the final boss. Like, not "Terra Branford used Genji Glove Offering 2 Ultima Weapons a Quick Spell at MAX HP" cakewalk, but still. My party was Kanji, Yukiko and Chie. Looking back I think it would've been even easier had I brought Teddie instead of Kanji, but its hard to say because when Rise charged the physical/magical powers of my team, Yu, Chie and Kanji were all dealing nearly a thousand points of damage to the guy.

I like the way that the whole Adachi thing panned out. I saw a movie when I was young which had a plot like this where the small town detective's partner was the real killer. My only real complaint with it was the implication that the giant eyeball had taken away some of Adachi's responsibility for his crimes. That said, I kinda felt that Magatsu Inaba and Mandala were sort of a disappointment in terms of dungeons after Heaven. Maybe I was just too hilariously invincible at that point.

I kind of appreciated how both Namatame and Adachi served as weird parallels to Yu. Like Namatame is a terrifying example of why Yu needed Social Links so badly, and Adachi is like, the most extreme case of Yousuke and Yu's boredom in a small country town. Adachi even had the same persona as Yu!

Before the game ends I still want to max out Kanji, Sayoko and Naoto. Kanji and Sayoko are close, but Naoto I dunno. I've basically opted to ignore Ai and the daycare because I just didn't make significant headway with them.

iXlw5Qe.gif

Christmas Eve, Rise spends the night. EAT YOUR HEART ALIVE YOSUKE. It's even better when the New Year's Shrine visit happens and Yosuke's all "Oh wow seeing Rise in a kimono sure would be nice!" and Yu's like "bro she slept with me. Give up." And then DAT BEAUTIFUL KIMONO SCENE. It's really a shame you don't get to pick Rise's costumes in battle. Actually, gamebreaker that she is, it's just a shame she isn't a fully-fledged PC in general. Also man, the faces in that New Years scene were so baaaaad.

Totally bawled at all the Nanako stuff over the holiday. Gosh dang this game went for a gut punch with her, so when she finally gets the kotatsu and the snowman and you're like "I'm just so happy you're alive!" it works out. They really pulled this off well. I'd like to max Dojima and Nanako but something tells me that not getting them maxed before the big crazy stuff means its too late, even though they were fairly far along. I didn't max them before because the game just kept going "you don't feel your relationship will advance." Fuck you game, I'm never listening to you again!

Oh, and I agreed to help Margaret find Marie. I'd make some manner of complaint about how I hate Marie here but eh, a bonus dungeon is a bonus dungeon and all. Even if just thinking about Marie and having to spend more time with her made Yu so physically ill that it rendered him hallucinogenic, feverish and unconscious for a week.

So that's how far I am. I stopped just before
Nanako and Dojima come home from the Hospital on the 20th.
Because it was 3 AM.

Caladrius

PERSONA 4 UPDATE OF TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Oh, and I agreed to help Margaret find Marie. I'd make some manner of complaint about how I hate Marie here but eh, a bonus dungeon is a bonus dungeon and all. Even if just thinking about Marie and having to spend more time with her made Yu so physically ill that it rendered him hallucinogenic, feverish and unconscious for a week.

So that's how far I am. I stopped just before
Nanako and Dojima come home from the Hospital on the 20th.
Because it was 3 AM.

You're just before one of my favorite scenes. >___________>

I think the
February dungeon might put a bit of a damper on it for you (get a persona that knows an element break skill). But the final day should be interesting for you. Make a second save when you start that day because reasons.

CorvoSol

You're just before one of my favorite scenes. >___________>

I think the
February dungeon might put a bit of a damper on it for you (get a persona that knows an element break skill). But the final day should be interesting for you. Make a second save when you start that day because reasons.

I just saw I still have to SLink with the entire party again so I can obtain their level 3 Personas. Hoooooooo boy now I really do not know how this is all going to play out.

Meia

I just saw I still have to SLink with the entire party again so I can obtain their level 3 Personas. Hoooooooo boy now I really do not know how this is all going to play out.

As a point, going to a rank 3 persona means the characters will learn a new ability. The female's are absolutely broken, the male's are really stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom