• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, I was hoping for Kanji and Naoto, but we got Teddie (only) instead:

Here's this week's avatar:

teddie___persona_q_avatar_by_darkside989-d73i4en.png

I'll get the iOS wallpaper up as soon as I'm able. Given the sudden switch to Teddie, with any luck next week will be Aigis! :)

Dantis

I think Persona Q's dialogue is going to be so mushy and sweet that I'm going to throw up on my 3DS.

goddamn man im not even motivated to start P4 because P3s ending hit me hard

fuck

I felt the same way, haha. It's hard to place one above the other, but P4 is definitely at least as good.

Swedesu

P4 is the better game overall, but that doesn't mean I like it more than P3.

They convey a completely different feeling and I love both of them, but not for the same reasons.

P4 has the most consistently good s.links while P3 has some really good ones (Akinari, Maya) and a couple of really "eh" ones (Keisuke, Bebe and Kenji)

P3 has the better ending though, while P4 kind of loses some momentum towards it's end
Hi Izanami

CorvoSol

Uh guys, Social Links don't reverse from dating other girls or ignoring anyone for more than X amount of days in P3P. The game says so, but its just leftover text.

They DO reverse when you do something stupid (ie: try to steal a kiss from Chihiro) and there's a scripted reversal in the Moon S.link, but there's no consequence for dating multiple girls or neglecting your s.link pals for a certain time period.

So date and ignore people at my own pleasure?

Dantis

P4 is the better game overall, but that doesn't mean I like it more than P3.

They convey a completely different feeling and I love both of them, but not for the same reasons.

P4 has the most consistently good s.links while P3 has some really good ones (Akinari, Maya) and a couple of really "eh" ones (Keisuke, Bebe and Kenji)

P3 has the better ending though, while P4 kind of loses some momentum towards it's end
Hi Izanami

I thought that Persona 4's actual ending cutscene was miles better. 3's was really good, but 4's was one of the best game endings I've ever seen.

Sophia

I thought that Persona 4's actual ending cutscene was miles better. 3's was really good, but 4's was one of the best game endings I've ever seen.

Lets not get hyperbolic here. While Persona 4 is an amazing game, it's ending is hardly among one of the best. The true ending is rather lackluster (and in the original game,
comes out of nowhere via an asspull.
)

The only advantage P4's ending has is that there was a better company animating it instead of a bunch of cowards so ashamed of their work they went under an alias. :p

Dantis

Lets not get hyperbolic here. While Persona 4 is an amazing game, it's ending is hardly among one of the best. The true ending is rather lackluster (and in the original game,
comes out of nowhere via an asspull.
)

The only advantage P4's ending has is that there was a better company animating it instead of a bunch of cowards so ashamed of their work they went under an alias. :p

Congratulations! I now disagree with you more than I did yesterday.

;)

The animation quality didn't bother me in either ending.

Sophia

Are there animated cutscenes in P3P? I feel like there was one at the beginning but I've forgotten, haha.

The opening intro has one, but that's it. No animated cutscenes cuz the UMD was ze goofy idea.

Congratulations! I now disagree with you more than I did yesterday.

;)

The animation quality didn't bother me in either ending.

YOU WOULD TOO

P3's ending cutscene does have decent animation, compared to some of the others in the game. But there's a few that are downright amateurish.

Meia

Thanks for the info guys. I've just gone back and maxxed out Marie's S-Link now. Cost me a few days (it's now the 12th of December), but I think I've still got enough time to sort out
Adachi

At what point does Marie's dungeon become available to play? I know that the game extends as far as March, but is all of that time playable?

Well, in terms of how much is playable, the next time you get free time after catching Adachi like January 9th or 10th, then you have every day free until February 11th I wanna say. You have the ski trip around there, which leads directly into the new dungeon). After Valentine's Day is over, the game skips to 3/20, which is the last day of the game.

And yeah flux, you're probably right. Just weird that they were doing it in order of joining their respective groups, and now suddenly they won't. Kind of a missed opportunity. Then again, no earthly clue why they're leaving some things as outlines, when we ALL know who they are.

Dantis

Real talk: Persona 4's ending cutscene made me feel more emotional resonance than pretty much any game I've ever played. It completely blew my mind.

I'd go as far as to call it as close to perfection as is feasible.

Yes the event and the cutscene by
the train station and everyone saying goodbye is amazing
it's just what happens before I find lackluster compared to P3s last month and ending.

I agree. The finale of P4 was underwhelming.

Swedesu

Yes the event and the cutscene by
the train station and everyone saying goodbye is amazing
. It's just what happens before I find lackluster compared to P3s last month and ending.

Got close to crying in both endings and for such different reasons. I really admire Atlus for pulling that off.

Caladrius

Oh god who the hell woke me up I was the mirage cyborg demon fairy overlord.

And P3's ending was a punch in the feels.

P4's was a BFF hug.

I think they're both great for different reasons and both accomplish what they set out to do.

Real talk: Persona 4's ending cutscene made me feel more emotional resonance than pretty much any game I've ever played. It completely blew my mind.

Eh, it's no Shadow of the Colossus, but it's pretty good. P4's true end felt realy abrupt compared to the other ending though, and the reveal of the final villain nearly made one of my friends quit the game right there.

fertygo

I can't appreciate P3 ending enough because I'm not came in clean (got spoiled >_>)
But I do think the end game kinda dragging and mood breaker (climbing 50 floor of tartarus and stuff)

EDIT : oops didn't know that's kinda controversial opinion.. but I prefer P4 endgame by far, the twist are great.. and overall its great roller coaster with satisfying reward.

kewlmyc

....what? Isn't that a major contradiction?

Dantis

....what? Isn't that a major contradiction?

No. Did you read the post that it was quoting?

The finale (As in, the true ending stretch) is weird and not great. The ending cutscene
at the train station, everyone chases the train, Never More etc.
melted my face off.

Now The Last of Us. That game had a pretty cool ending.

Hoo boy, did it. Astounding.

Eh, it's no Shadow of the Colossus, but it's pretty good. P4's true end felt realy abrupt compared to the other ending though, and the reveal of the final villain nearly made one of my friends quit the game right there.

SotC's ending did nothing for me at all, not helped by the fact that I was pretty much sick of the game at that point. I really feel like SotC hits this incredibly high note about halfway through, and then doesn't really know where to go from there. The final Colossus was kind of pathetic.

kewlmyc

No. Did you read the post that it was quoting?

The finale (As in, the true ending stretch) is weird and not great. The ending cutscene
at the train station, everyone chases the train, Never More etc.
melted my face off.

Hoo boy, did it. Astounding.

So you didn't like 3/20, but were a fan of the final cutscene? Sorry for misunderstanding.

I can see what your saying. The whole
Izanami
thing seemed to come out of nowhere if you didn't pay attention to one infodump in the middle of the game.

Ok ok, I was talking like, climax to ending. The actual ending cutscene in P4 is better.

Dantis

So you didn't like 3/20, but were a fan of the final cutscene? Sorry for misunderstanding.

I can see what your saying. The whole
Izanami
thing seemed to come out of nowhere if you didn't pay attention to one infodump in the middle of the game.

I mean, I enjoyed it, but it was kind of ho-hum. I don't care much for the actual overarching plots in Persona 3 and 4, it's everything around them that I love.

Some great symbolism in the true ending though.

Ok ok, I was talking like, climax to ending. The actual ending cutscene in P4 is better.

P3's is excellent. The final battle is completely incredible.

Omikaru

P4's ending is okay. It was a good round off to the game, but I wouldn't say it's anything exceptional. I think what sets out to achieve is
create the feeling that you spent a year in Inaba, and now it's over. It's sweet and sentimental.
In that regard, it's successful, and I generally like it.

P3's ending is something else. It's just wonderful in every respect. One of the best game endings ever, regardless of the animation quality. They really knocked it out of the park, in my view.

Dantis

P4's ending is okay. It was a good round off to the game, but I wouldn't say it's anything exceptional. I think what sets out to achieve is
create the feeling that you spent a year in Inaba, and now it's over. It's sweet and sentimental.
In that regard, it's successful, and I generally like it.

P3's ending is something else. It's just wonderful in every respect. One of the best game endings ever, regardless of the animation quality. They really knocked it out of the park, in my view.

That's it, you're getting added to the fight list.

Sophia

That's it, you're getting added to the fight list.

That list must be pretty long by now...

I pretty much agree with Omi's opinion, so not much more for me to say there. Mind you, I am biased towards Persona 3 seeing as I played it first before Persona 4.

PK Gaming

Yeah
Saying goodbye to your closest friends was hard as enough, but when Yu's S.link friends showed up, I started bawling like a baby. I'm not the type of person who cries over a video game, but seeing Shu, Ai, Kou and the others say their sad goodbye just made me lose it.
That point and onwards: perfection.
Yeah x2

When Burn My Dread plays again I lose it.

SotC's ending did nothing for me at all, not helped by the fact that I was pretty much sick of the game at that point. I really feel like SotC hits this incredibly high note about halfway through, and then doesn't really know where to go from there. The final Colossus was kind of pathetic.

Couldn't disagree with you more!

SotC's ending is one of the greatest examples of dramatic irony, reincorporation, pathos and melancholy I've ever seen in anything ever, and it filled me with a deep sadness and emptiness the likes of which no other game aside from The Walking Dead has come close to replicating.

Also, how can the game hit its high note halfway through if the three most- loved Colossi in the game aren't fought until the second half?

Re: Malus,
although he 's not very exciting from a gameplay perspective, he's far from pathetic. As the fight goes on, he imitates the emotional state of the main character in the reverse order in which he experienced them, going from rage to pain to curiosity and wonder to grief, and this is all reflected without any dialogue or musical cues (the same somber tune plays the whole way through the fight).
It's one of the most thematically brilliant boss battles in gaming, and is worth fighting for that alone.

You can't diss my favourite game and get away without getting an earful!

Omikaru

Not sure I could pick a favourite out of Never More or Kimi no Kioku. I love them both, and they're both pretty fitting for their respective game's ending.

That list must be pretty long by now...

I pretty much agree with Omi's opinion, so not much more for me to say there. Mind you, I am biased towards Persona 3 seeing as I played it first before Persona 4.

I played P4 first and then P3 after. I don't think it matters which order you play them in to have a proper perspective on their merits and downfalls. It just takes good taste. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom