• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

filia_hdsprite_fenrirdrive2_1.gif

Skullgirls is probably among the best animated games ever made. Cheesecake though it is.

Definitely agree with that. Though the reasons I stopped playing the game were due to lack of other players moreso than the cheesecake :p

and THAT's where the issue lies, and then it boils down to 2v2/3v3 matches where any character and their personae can simply hop in and assist. Then you have to consider how the snapback system would work when you have two characters on the screen, etc etc. It'd be chaotic.

JoJo: Heritage sounds better on paper for persona. Same button format, same stand/persona rule (certain amount of hits and your stand/personae is out), add in stuff from P3/4 and apply it to how Stand/Tandem combos work. (auto-inputting specific persona attacks as you yourself can go in and add anything you want, etc)

But Arc's way is cool too yo

Yup, agreed.

Unless you make a MvC style fighting game where you ONLY play as Personas beating each other up. No Persona users at all, but who would want that really.

That JoJo game sounds like it would make a great base for a Persona fighting game.

Too bad ASW games were never my thing, they are fun to watch though.

Acid08

Banned
Hey TrueSelf, I have a request for you if you ever have some free time :)

I love the Rise Vita wallpaper you made for me and I'm wondering if you could do something similar with this Chie art(best Chie art tbh):

I think a green/white background might look cool for it. If you can I'd be super grateful :D

Hey TrueSelf, I have a request for you if you ever have some free time :)

I love the Rise Vita wallpaper you made for me and I'm wondering if you could do something similar with this Chie art(best Chie art tbh):

I think a green/white background might look cool for it. If you can I'd be super grateful :D

Yeah I think I can make that happen! I'm going to be working on the SLink FM title card for Friday's episode either tomorrow or Tuesday, so I'll work on this while I'm at it. :)

That's lame-- you'd think the P3 folks would have more to say to one another... Plus more Junpei and Yukari banter is always a good thing, as the PQ trailers have shown us.

The lack of symmetrical banter between the P3 cast is a bit disappointing when, for instance, Yosuke and Yukari have unique lines against each other but Yukari has generic ones for Mitsuru and Aigis.

There'll probably be more in the console version, at least.

I'm not sure if they added any more quotes in between P4A's arcade and console releases.

Silky

Banned
Yup, agreed.

Unless you make a MvC style fighting game where you ONLY play as Personas beating each other up. No Persona users at all, but who would want that really.

That JoJo game sounds like it would make a great base for a Persona fighting game.

Here's an example of the Tandem combos. and a general Heritage Match

PK Gaming

Woah, looks like there were more character victory translations!

tumblr_inline_n0ie9kMvFr1sycmn8.gif

Generic Quotes:

“Yes, that’s right,
The secret of my strength lies in my speed …probably!”(Dude, PROBABLY?)[/spoiler]

“Here at Junes, I’m readily waiting to accept customer-challenges at any time!”(Dork)

“Weeeeell! How was I? Pretty cool, huh? I didn’t disappoint at all, right? …Right?”(Well if you have to ask...)

“Ha Ha! My skills have gotten pretty good lately! See ya!”(Have you seen P4U2 Yosuke in a fight? He's not kidding.)

VS Yu Narukami
”Didn’t expect any less from the man I’ve come to appreciate!
Let’s do this again sometime, Partner!” (Translation Translation: Didn't expect any less from my boyfriend. READ: NOT GAY)

VS Chie Satonaka
”Hey now, hey now, what happened to your special training?
Forgot to watch your pace?” (Ehhhh. Needs more insults)

VS Yukiko Amagi
”S-So this is the Amagi-Challenge…
It’s just as lethal as I thought it’d be.” (Ha.)

VS Kanji Tatsumi
-Generic- (Whyyyy)

VS Naoto Shirogane
”You lost because you think too much.
That means, I at least- … I wanted to say something, but I made myself sad…” (Dude should have ended it after the first sentence. YOU BLEW IT)

VS Yukari Takeba
”Hey, don’t you wanna hold a show at Junes sometime?
…Ugh, the real one is really a whole different story…” (???)

VS Junpei Iori
”Heh Heh! Swing that bat around all you want,
You still can’t touch me!” (SEE THAT? YOSUKE IS THE BETTER MAN)

FluxWaveZ

I'm not sure if they added any more quotes in between P4A's arcade and console releases.

Yeah, that was what we didn't know about last time we discussed the subject. I don't know if they did last time, but I have a feeling they'd do it this time anyways because of the increased length of time between the arcade version and the home version, possibly leading to more development time.

The lack of symmetrical banter between the P3 cast is a bit disappointing when, for instance, Yosuke and Yukari have unique lines against each other but Yukari has generic ones for Mitsuru and Aigis.

I don't think I noticed that until now-- that's bullshit. They better add more to the console version. The inclusion of more P3 folks is why I'm most excited for P4U2 (and seeing the story resolved), so they better not skimp!

This reminds me: one of the bigger differences between the IS translations(fan and Atlus) is how Kasugayama HS' derogatory nickname is handled.

In the fan translation, it's(and I quote), "K'ass-u-GAY-ama". In the Atlus translation, it's Cuss High.

They're both kind of poor IMO. One's immature and has no sound of an insult, and the other feels, well, weak as an insult.

I'm not sure how it is in Japanese. Any thoughts on this?

k'ass-u-gay-ama made me laugh when i played that because of how messy and bad it is.

Squire

Banned
tumblr_mrhiryQnuA1soxjtqo1_500.jpg

I'd fucking play the shit out of P4A if it was skullgirls style (and wasn't region locked to fuckkkkkkkkkkkk). Not just talking artstyle, mean marvel 2 style, that's more my jam

Man, I can't play fighters like that. Probably because I don't have a stick.

VS Junpei Iori
”Heh Heh! Swing that bat around all you want,
You still can’t touch me!” (SEE THAT? YOSUKE IS THE BETTER MAN)

Blatant lies. There is no universe in which Blowsuke is a better man than Da Man himself.

I actually really like Yosuke, but blasphemy must be corrected.

FluxWaveZ

Yup, agreed.

I'm kind of confused what would make the P4A system adapted into a simple team system ala MvC complicated.

Let's say a player forms a team of Yu, Yosuke and Chie. Yu is on point, with Yosuke as assist 1 and Chie as assist 2. Two buttons would have to be added to the game, making it a 6-button fighter.

The battle starts as it usually does in P4A with P1 controlling Yu. Everything the same, except for now if you press the A1 button, Yosuke—off-screen—will perform his 5D. If A2 is pressed, Chie would perform her 214C.

For balance purposes and to not make things overwhelming, breaking an assist Persona could just take away a Persona card off of the point character, which would persist if an assist character was switched to point. If not, all the assists could just be character based, making Yosuke's j.236C and Chie's 236C.

Silky brought up snap-back in relation to a Persona. If it would have to have it, it would just work the same as if an assist character is hit with it in MvC as a Persona character in this hypothetical P4A: nothing. You'd waste meter and, here, the Persona would get broken.

Aside from that, the rest would just be like the active team system of MvC. It would obviously be different fundamentally than P4A is now, though. I prefer as it is now.

I'm not very far in P3 yet, but Junpei is probably the only character I like enough to put on the same level as the P4 cast so far. I'd say I prefer him to Yosuke overall easily--Junpei's antics make him come off as endearingly stupid, but Yosuke's made him come across as more obnoxious than anything. Yosuke was better in his S.Link than he was normally though.

I'm pretty meh on the rest of P3's cast so far, but I suppose I really don't know much about them at all.

Gazoinks

I'm not very far in P3 yet, but Junpei is probably the only character I like enough to put on the same level as the P4 cast so far. I'd say I prefer him to Yosuke overall easily--Junpei's antics make him come off as endearingly stupid, but Yosuke's made him come across as obnoxious. Yosuke was better in his S.Link than he was normally though.

I'd say P3's cast a whole is less consistent than P4's. It definitely has great characters, like Junpei, but it also has more weak characters than I thought P4 did.

I'm really liking Junpei's S.Link in P3P, by the way. I love that he takes on a kind of brotherly role.

Props to mods for locking that stuuuuupid region lock thread.

Yeah, really, let's overreact over a website listing something when we don't know any details yet.

Typical.
6FKxpLW.png

I'm really sorry, guys. I should have been more up to date on the game before making that thread. I feel stupid for missing that line on the product page about nothing being confirmed and not realizing PersonaGAF's known about the whole thing for awhile now. I apologize if I upset anyone.

I'm kind of confused what would make the P4A system adapted into a simple team system ala MvC complicated.

Let's say a player forms a team of Yu, Yosuke and Chie. Yu is on point, with Yosuke as assist 1 and Chie as assist 2. Two buttons would have to be added to the game, making it a 6-button fighter.

The battle starts as it usually does in P4A with P1 controlling Yu. Everything the same, except for now if you press the A1 button, Yosuke—off-screen—will perform his 5D. If A2 is pressed, Chie would perform her 214C.

For balance purposes and to not make things overwhelming, breaking an assist Persona could just take away a Persona card off of the point character, which would persist if an assist character was switched to point. If not, all the assists could just be character based, making Yosuke's j.236C and Chie's 236C.

Silky brought up snap-back in relation to a Persona. If it would have to have it, it would just work the same as if an assist character is hit with it in MvC as a Persona character in this hypothetical P4A: nothing. You'd waste meter and, here, the Persona would get broken.

Aside from that, the rest would just be like the active team system of MvC. It would obviously be different fundamentally than P4A is now, though. I prefer as it is now.

That sounds cool, but it's just kinda messy. In a way, you are juggling 6 characters in this hypothetical P4A MvC. 3 Persona users and their 3 Personas. Things become complicated enough in MvC2 and UMvC3 just handling 3 characters. Both of those were also 6 button fighters, if you count the 2 assist buttons.

I would imagine things would get chaotic very fast if you call in your Persona for the character on point, then call in an assist character who could potentially summon another Persona. Imagine how frantic the fights would be if you had 8 different characters on screen.

6FKxpLW.png

I'm really sorry, guys. I should have been more up to date on the game before making that thread. I feel stupid for missing that line on the product page about nothing being confirmed and not realizing PersonaGAF's known about the whole thing for awhile now. I apologize if I upset anyone.

Don't worry about it dude!

FluxWaveZ

That sounds cool, but it's just kinda messy. In a way, you are juggling 6 characters in this hypothetical P4A MvC. 3 Persona users and their 3 Personas. Things become complicated enough in MvC2 and UMvC3 just handling 3 characters. Both of those were also 6 button fighters, if you count the 2 assist buttons.

I would imagine things would get chaotic very fast if you call in your Persona for the character on point, then call in an assist character who could potentially summon another Persona. Imagine how frantic the fights would be if you had 8 different characters on screen.

That's what I mean, though. An assist would either be a Persona on screen or a character on screen, but never both because, you're right, that would look insane.

Comparison: MvC3 can have 4 characters on screen at once (P1, Assist, P2, Assist). P4A would hypothetically have a max. of 6 (P1, Persona 1, Assist 1, P2, Persona 2, Assist 2). I'd say it'd be on the same level of visual complexity as Marvel because it's not like Personas in the game, with the exception of Shadow Labrys, are roaming around doing their own thing. They mainly have dedicated attacks where they're on screen for a temporary amount of time.

I wouldn't really label a character's Persona as their own character with, again, the exception of Shadow Labrys, because they act for normal attacks and special attacks. The only thing that would really be the issue would be the Persona cards and I addressed that point.

Squire

Banned
Twilt plays on pad.

;__;

Is Twilt good?

Playing on a dualshock is suffering.

When you're dealing with a six-button key, yeah. P4A/Tekken/SC/DOA/VF/KOF are all great on pad. Well with the 360 pad, specifically.

Playing with the dualshock is always suffering, no matter the game, since up until the DS4 it was a shitty controller.

6FKxpLW.png

Ah, no worries.

FluxWaveZ

People that play on 360 controllers for fighters always amaze me. I don't think I could ever do it.

Those who play on keyboards are weird. I've never really tried it myself, but it looks crazy from the outset.

I think they were apparently banned in some competitions for lending an unjust advantage, too.

I'd say P3's cast a whole is less consistent than P4's. It definitely has great characters, like Junpei, but it also has more weak characters than I thought P4 did.

I'm really liking Junpei's S.Link in P3P, by the way. I love that he takes on a kind of brotherly role.
P3 has given me a better appreciation for how P4 handled introducing characters to you--P4 spends quite a bit of time making you get to know the party members before they actually join you. In P3 I just recently got Fuuka, and I have very little grasp of her character at all. I mean, you don't see her at all until about two minutes before
the first boss fight with her supporting you.

Anyway, I have a question regarding P3FES--what is the best way to raise Academics? It seems much harder to raise than the other two.

That's what I mean, though. An assist would either be a Persona on screen or a character on screen, but never both because, you're right, that would look insane.

I'm no expert in P4A, let alone MvC2 or MvC3 (I'm alright in MvC:Clash of Super Heroes). But I would imagine higher level combos in P4A would require your active character's persona on screen to help extend combos and what not. Calling in a character assist to extended a combo MvC style would still make it so that there is potential for 6 characters on screen.

If you truly make a Persona MvC where you can only call in ONE Persona OR character assist at a time, I think it would lose some appeal. Part of what makes P4A so cool is that you are doing combos between Persona User and Persona. I don't think it would be as awesome if it was just Kanji assisting Yu pick up combos.

Rhapsody

Banned
Those who play on keyboards are weird. I've never really tried it myself, but it looks crazy from the outset.

I think they were apparently banned in some competitions for lending an unjust advantage, too.

Yeah, that too. I've tried as a kid when I didn't have USB controllers to play games, but that was about it.

In other news, I tried playing P4A with a friend online recently. It's been so long that I felt kind of nervous, haha.
Reminds me of when I played people here. Maybe it's a good thing I'm not entering P4A at SCR...

PK Gaming

P3 has given me a better appreciation for how P4 handled introducing characters to you--P4 spends quite a bit of time making you get to know the party members before they actually join you. In P3 I just recently got Fuuka, and I have very little grasp of her character at all. I mean, you don't see her at all until about two minutes before
the first boss fight with her supporting you.

Anyway, I have a question regarding P3FES--what is the best way to raise Academics? It seems much harder to raise than the other two.

The quiz game at the mall (wednesday and saturdays)

When you're dealing with a six-button key, yeah. P4A/Tekken/SC/DOA/VF/KOF are all great on pad. Well with the 360 pad, specifically.

Playing with the dualshock is always suffering, no matter the game, since up until the DS4 it was a shitty controller.
The issues with the Dual-shock 3 in my opinion is the execution any moves that involve double quarter circling. Because those are some of the most diffcult moves to pull off in the game. since when I try do it, it registers as jumping instead of doing the move. I don't how some of you guys can pull that off and not be jumping.

Sophia

...the what? I don't think I've ever seen that. Is it available from the start?

Yup. You can play a selection of games at the mall. Two different games every day. Each game does something different: Either it raises a social stat, or it raises a stat on your equipped Persona.

Top Bottom