• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

tumblr_mf7b59YLoe1r2jrl4o1_500.png
Mitsuru's ????

Squire

Banned
No reason?
The fact that the androids were being created in order to be destroyed in order to bring about improvements in their integral design is not a reason?

Dantis, it sounds like you're just ignoring stuff like this in your criticism of the art. It's very cursory and shallow.

The story and the characters inform Soejima's designs. He's not just making stuff to toss up on DeviantArt or something.

No reason?
The fact that the androids were being created in order to be destroyed in order to bring about improvements in their integral design is not a reason?

I guess there are some outlandish characters, but I suppose I'm speaking in a mostly strict sense. Before P3, there were humans and there were mystical beings (demons, some Velvet Room attendants...). The third category brought by P3 were androids.

It's probably a meaningless distinction, anyways.

I mean I get it. When I first got Aigis, I reacted with disdain. "Really, a damn robot girl?" I realize now that it was a bit silly.

Sophia

I guess there are some outlandish characters, but I suppose I'm speaking in a mostly strict sense. Before P3, there were humans and there were mystical beings (demons, some Velvet Room attendants...). The third category brought by P3 were androids.

It's probably a meaningless distinction, anyways.

Igor and Elizabeth make it pretty clear it's a meaningless distinction. The androids are in the same category of mystical begins. :D

I mean I get it. When I first got Aigis, I reacted with disdain. "Really, a damn robot girl?" I realize now that it was a bit silly.

I didn't care too much for Aigis the first time I played, but
only because I had difficulty even getting that far.

Dantis

No reason?

I think you misunderstand what the circles are being used for.

Realistically, knowing Soejima it will be symbolic (
And indicative of her disposability
). From a literal standpoint it makes no sense.

There's one thing that Ron is right about - it's definitely easier to just say "I don't like her design".

Levito

Banned
For everyone going to EVO:

I've decided to make a simple checklist that determines how anime a person is in real life. Figure it's best that we all calculate how anime members of PersonaGAF are.

For example:

Tears up often and says Gomenasai~

Yes: cjkeats, Smed, Levito

No: n/a

Dantis

I've decided to make a simple checklist that determines how anime a person is in real life. Figure it's best that we all calculate how anime members of PersonaGAF are.

For example:

LOL

For example:

When is it? I only live about an hour from Vegas.

FluxWaveZ

I think you misunderstand what the circles are being used for.

Realistically, knowing Soejima it will be symbolic (
And indicative of her disposability
). From a literal standpoint it makes no sense.

There's one thing that Ron is right about - it's definitely easier to just say "I don't like her design".

You still haven't explained how it doesn't make any sense.

For crash test dummies, they're used, like you stated, as reference points for high-speed cameras in order to analyze the contortions and movement of a dummy to determine if a car accident would be survivable by a human being.

In the fifth generation Anti-Shadow weapon case, they were used as reference points for high-speed cameras in order to analyze the contortions and movement of a unit to determine what improvements could be applied to their design in terms of efficiency.

How does that not make sense from a literal standpoint? I'm almost certain the method the scientists use to measure the performance of Labrys' sister units is extensively explained in her story mode, too.

Dantis

You still haven't explained how it doesn't make any sense.

For crash test dummies, they're used, like you stated, as reference points for high-speed cameras in order to analyze the contortions and movement of a dummy to determine if a car accident would be survivable by a human being.

In the fifth generation Anti-Shadow weapon case, they were used as reference points for high-speed cameras in order to analyze the contortions and movement of a unit to determine what improvements could be applied to their design in terms of efficiency.

How does that not make sense from a literal standpoint? I'm almost certain the method the scientists use to measure the performance of Labrys' sister units is extensively explained in her story mode, too.

From what I understand (Educated by Top Gear or Mythbusters, I think ;) ) the circles are to measure speed and impact. If that is its purpose in Persona, there wouldn't be one on her thigh and that's it unless they want to measure how fast she kicks, haha.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be symbolic.

As an aside, this kind of thing is why I dislike debates over more than a few posts. They become squabbles over minor tangents and ignore the main point. If Labrys didn't have the circle on her leg, I wouldn't be like "I love Labrys' design, it's great!".

From what I understand (Educated by Top Gear or Mythbusters, I think ;) ) the circles are to measure speed and impact. If that is its purpose in Persona, there wouldn't be one on her thigh and that's it unless they want to measure how fast she kicks, haha.

I'm pretty sure it's meant to be symbolic.

As an aside, this kind of thing is why I dislike debates over more than a few posts. They become squabbles over minor tangents and ignore the main point. If Labrys didn't have the circle on her leg, I wouldn't be like "I love Labrys' design, it's great!".

Testing her mobility and leg strength yo

Dat mobility

Guys, I'm really excited to keep playing P1P when I get off work. I haven't played an RPG in this style in a looooooong time.

Curious to think what you will think of the Persona 2's. It is interesting to see more people liking P1 and disliking P2 now. For a long time, people considered Persona 1 the red headed step child of the series.

cj_iwakura

Curious to think what you will think of the Persona 2's. It is interesting to see more people liking P1 and disliking P2 now. For a long time, people considered Persona 1 the red headed step child of the series.

I guess because EO have made first person dungeon crawlers cool.

Isometric dungeons are the devil.

Gazoinks

As I said before, I'm not that far yet, but I'm having way more fun with P1 than 2 so far. P2's cast is still the best though. :p

Unsure which Shadow to do next. Have one or two really good ideas but I kind of want to save them for later so I'm not stuck doing several hard ones in a row. Some of these characters are pretty hard to figure out--and some of them are easier, but difficult to actually put into visualization. For instance, Sayoko, I have a pretty good idea what her issue is, but all of my ideas are too graphic. Like, I know exactly how to represent a person who's filling the void in their life with dalliance and other frivolities, but I ain't drawing that.

Acid08

Banned

After I got used to the movement it became much better.

I'm honestly kind of dreading EP. Maybe this is off base but it just being the straight up PS1 game makes me think it'll just be that much more archaic than the PSP remakes.

Gazoinks

I'm honestly kind of dreading EP. Maybe this is off base but it just being the straight up PS1 game makes me think it'll just be that much more archaic than the PSP remakes.

It is and it isn't. It's a bit clunker than IS, but it's not awful. It's not as pathetically easy as IS which is nice, but it's balanced out by the card system which kind of sucks. I'd say it's mostly more of the same of IS with some differences, positive and negative.

Revelations: Persona's world map is where it's at anyway.

I like EP better than IS, they fudged up the PSP version. EP's PSP version is the best Persona port except for 4 Golden, but they never released that in english :(

Gazoinks

I like EP better than IS, they fudged up the PSP version. EP's PSP version is the best Persona port except for 4 Golden, but they never released that in english :(

We never got a full explanation of why it'll never be localized, right? Sucks. I've come to terms with never getting EPP, but I wish we knew why so I could at least feel some closure on the thing.

Caladrius

We never got a full explanation of why it'll never be localized, right? Sucks. I've come to terms with never getting EPP, but I wish we knew why so I could at least feel some closure on the thing.

The PSP was near the very end of its lifespan in the west. Combined with the difficulty of actually working the code, they probably decided that it wouldn't be remotely cost-effective.

oh goddamnit i did it again i just hope it isnt big

i saw what looked like
shadow adachi?

i gotta stop looking up ANYTHING PERSONA

Gazoinks

Which one do you guys prefer?

I'm really liking the P1P soundtrack a lot too. I am pretty happy that the map music changed though. I like that first track but man it got old quick.

When I played through ISP I played with the new OST because I didn't realize you could switch them. :p I like it fine though, just can't really compare. But yeah, as iwakura and buddha said, it wasn't as big a difference as P1.

As far as P1P, I like the soundtrack. Have the battle theme stuck in my head. I do like some of the old stuff I've heard more though, it was a lot creepier and there was way more of it.

Take it to mean: "Don't go looking at stuff when you don't want to be spoiled."

There's another more facetious reason, but I won't specify.

i have a feeling i already know the other reason

FUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

edit: or maybe not? hmmmm
i had to look up the word facetious lol

cj_iwakura

This reminds me: one of the bigger differences between the IS translations(fan and Atlus) is how Kasugayama HS' derogatory nickname is handled.

In the fan translation, it's(and I quote), "K'ass-u-GAY-ama". In the Atlus translation, it's Cuss High.

They're both kind of poor IMO. One's immature and has no sound of an insult, and the other feels, well, weak as an insult.

I'm not sure how it is in Japanese. Any thoughts on this?

This reminds me: one of the bigger differences between the IS translations(fan and Atlus) is how Kasugayama HS' derogatory nickname is handled.

In the fan translation, it's(and I quote), "K'ass-u-GAY-ama". In the Atlus translation, it's Cuss High.

They're both kind of poor IMO. One's immature and has no sound of an insult, and the other feels, well, weak as an insult.

just call it Ass High, so easy.

FluxWaveZ

i have a feeling i already know the other reason

FUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

edit: or maybe not? hmmmm
i had to look up the word facetious lol

You should probably stop lingering on the issue and go on with playing the game, which is what I think the best course of action is when you believe you've been spoiled on something.

And you wouldn't guess the second reason. Again, stop thinking about it.

I agree. Maybe they thought it was too profane?

Hm, maybe. Atlus, or at least Atlus USA, does seem to have an interesting aversion to profanity when it comes to Persona. Wouldn't think "Ass High" would be too bad, though.

I prefer "Cuss High" than that fan translation one, in any case.

You should probably stop lingering on the issue and go on with playing the game, which is what I think the best course of action is when you believe you've been spoiled on something.

And you wouldn't guess the second reason. Again, stop thinking about it.

i gotta sleep it off and hope i forgot about then

youve given me hope

ramyeon

In Japanese they call it Kasu Kou. Kasu is a word that means sediment or scum literally and can also mean like the dregs or the lowest part of society. Kou is just a shortening of the word for High School.

I don't really like either translation but the fan one is really iffy, don't like it at all.

Feep

Banned
(laugh) The direction for my "Name's Byakuya Togami" was to not give a fuck. Make fun of me after you play a few chapters. ;)

(Or seriously just go Japanese audio you guys will probably have a better time)

cj_iwakura

In Japanese they call it Kasu Kou. Kasu is a word that means sediment or scum literally and can also mean like the dregs or the lowest part of society. Kou is just a shortening of the word for High School.

I don't really like either translation but the fan one is really iffy, don't like it at all.

Yeah, I think Ass High is the best way to translate it then.

Minako_close_up.png

You can find the rest HERE

I had a hard time finding good FeMC art on the net, (hence why most of it is just comics). Not too happy with how this came out, but oh well.

Enjoy!
Best PC? Best PC. If anyone would have given Nyx the finger and taken the high road, it would've been her. Those malls won't shop themselves!

(laugh) The direction for my "Name's Byakuya Togami" was to not give a fuck. Make fun of me after you play a few chapters. ;)

(Or seriously just go Japanese audio you guys will probably have a better time)

Eff the haters. I'm using your dub.

fertygo

It is and it isn't. It's a bit clunker than IS, but it's not awful. It's not as pathetically easy as IS which is nice, but it's balanced out by the card system which kind of sucks. I'd say it's mostly more of the same of IS with some differences, positive and negative.

Revelations: Persona's world map is where it's at anyway.

Card system is actually kinda fun, its at least put you into arbitrary challenge to beat every demon in negotiation once.. not grinding it,

Btw its nice to hear people enjoying P1. Its very great game I thought.

Gazoinks

Card system is actually kinda fun, its at least put you into arbitrary challenge to beat every demon in negotiation once.. not grinding it,

Btw its nice to hear people enjoying P1. Its very great game I thought.

I don't really have a problem with the idea of the card system, but I find the execution tedious.

And yeah, I'm surprised by how much I like P1 so far. Better than I expected it to be.

Top Bottom