• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

I'm no expert in P4A, let alone MvC2 or MvC3 (I'm alright in MvC:Clash of Super Heroes). But I would imagine higher level combos in P4A would require your active character's persona on screen to help extend combos and what not. Calling in a character assist to extended a combo MvC style would still make it so that there is potential for 6 characters on screen.

This might be where you're confused, because that's not quite how it works for extended combos (minus S. Lab, who is a puppet character so inherently requires the constant presence of Asterius).

Personas in P4A do not stay on screen for extended periods of time except for maybe with a few characters like Liz or Yukiko, but extended combos will have a character pull off normals, their Persona will appear to do something then disappear, pull off more normals and their Persona will appear again... That's mainly the rhythm.

If you truly make a Persona MvC where you can only call in ONE Persona OR character assist at a time, I think it would lose some appeal. Part of what makes P4A so cool is that you are doing combos between Persona User and Persona. I don't think it would be as awesome if it was just Kanji assisting Yu pick up combos.

And that's partly why I'm not into the idea of teams applied to the P4A formula.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
6FKxpLW.png

I'm really sorry, guys. I should have been more up to date on the game before making that thread. I feel stupid for missing that line on the product page about nothing being confirmed and not realizing PersonaGAF's known about the whole thing for awhile now. I apologize if I upset anyone.

Ah, it wasn't you, it was more of the 'WHAT THE FUCK ATLUS " people.

This might be where you're confused, because that's not quite how it works for extended combos (minus S. Lab, who is a puppet character so inherently requires the constant presence of Asterius).

Personas in P4A do not stay on screen for extended periods of time except for maybe with a few characters like Liz or Yukiko, but extended combos will have a character pull off normals, their Persona will appear to do something then disappear, pull off more normals and their Persona will appear again... That's mainly the rhythm.

And that's partly why I'm not into the idea of teams applied to the P4A formula.

I know they don't stay for long, I'm just saying there is potential for too much on screen causing all kinds of chaos. That's why Persona is better off playing like it is now or that JoJo game, like you said, a rhythm between Persona and Persona user.

Also yes I'm not into the idea of MvC style teams in the P4A formula either, I can appreciate it for what it is.

Kazzy

I'm not very far in P3 yet, but Junpei is probably the only character I like enough to put on the same level as the P4 cast so far. I'd say I prefer him to Yosuke overall easily...

Dude! DUDE!

I can see why some would prefer Junpei - like you touched on, he's simply a lot more affable than Yosuke, though they both share similar traits/foibles. In that sense, their journeys do have some interesting parallels - albeit, their interpretations are different when you begin to break it down.

Both wield their Persona as a means to vindicate themselves, neither being particularly good at anything. They latch onto it in a way that most others don't, so it stands to reason that both suffer pretty significantly when this is proven to be something of a fallacy - at least in their eyes. Makoto and Yu (respectively) both appear and do all this with much more aplomb that they ever could, earning leadership and negating that niche.

Yosuke's is a little more personal, in my opinion. Yu has exactly the same role that he had, both personally, as well as part of the Investigation team. Having arrived a full year prior to his arrival, Yosuke has made little headway in his new life, not making many friends, and still feeling like an outcast due to his role in the community. It's extremely likely that anyone playing the game will succeed at almost completely supplanting him, becoming popular and doing so whilst remaining a part of his social circle. To see all of this must be pretty galling for him, not least of all because he initially takes it upon himself to help you out, as he recognizes the similarity between your arrival in Inaba.

The self-image of both of these characters is extremely outward. They're both brash, flippant, and everything in between. All of which helps them to obfuscate that sense of inferiority. They remain relevant by thrusting themselves into the situation that presents itself, only to be proven wrong, yet again. Their public persona's (no pun intended!) are both extremely precarious, and the upheaval your actions cause are the proverbial straw that brings everything crashing down.

I'm not very far in P3 yet, but Junpei is probably the only character I like enough to put on the same level as the P4 cast so far. I'd say I prefer him to Yosuke overall easily--Junpei's antics make him come off as endearingly stupid, but Yosuke's made him come across as more obnoxious than anything. Yosuke was better in his S.Link than he was normally though.

I'm pretty meh on the rest of P3's cast so far, but I suppose I really don't know much about them at all.

C'mon bro, Yukari is better than any of the girls in P4. Make sure to do her S. Link when you get the chance.

needs a "soon" caption
tumblr_mrhiryQnuA1soxjtqo1_500.jpg

I'd fucking play the shit out of P4A if it was skullgirls style (and wasn't region locked to fuckkkkkkkkkkkk). Not just talking artstyle, mean marvel 2 style, that's more my jam
I like the Skullgirls artstyle and gameplay, but I do prefer P4A as is.
Definitely agree with that. Though the reasons I stopped playing the game were due to lack of other players moreso than the cheesecake :p
Well if ya go console I'm always up for it...

aw who am I kidding you won't get it
Man, I can't play fighters like that. Probably because I don't have a stick.
I don't use stick either. Dualshock for games with less than 6 buttons, fightpad (solely out of preference) for 6 button games, or I rebind the dualshock to SNES style if I have to use that. The concept of using a stick to get good is a misconception really, it's all about what flows for you.
Twilt plays on pad.

;__;

I also use the analog stick.

:3
And you do Dante combos with the analog stick? Gat dayum.

Does he also play Morrigan, Vergil and/or Zero?

Only Vergil, he doesn't touch Morrigan or Zero haha. He messes around a lot though, right now he's trying to get good with Jill. He also uses Doom, C. Viper, and Trish a lot.

And not trying to "defend his honor" or whatever but he's fully aware of what characters are overpowered and which ones suck lol

TWILT

Banned
Just want to let you all know, all the cool kids play Dante/Vergil/Strider.*

*If you use Chris, Wesker, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Amaterasu, Iron Fist, Frank West and Dr Strange, you're cool too.

Zero players are the scum of the earth.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm definitely scum. :[

Edit: Hearing my friend talk about his P4G playthrough is great. I'm always jealous of those that are playing P4 for the first time.

*If you use Chris, Wesker, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Amaterasu, Iron Fist, Frank West and Dr Strange, you're cool too.

I use Taskmaster, Nova and Nemesis. I guess that makes me the uncoolest person on Earth.

I see where this is going.

It may be going to a gentleman's match of fistycuffs :p

Well instead of fists I'll just smack stuff around with an umbrella

I use Taskmaster, Nova and Nemesis. I guess that makes me the uncoolest person on Earth.

Well lately I've been using (or trying to use) Frank West,Dante, and Taskmaster so I'm part in the cool kids club, but part in the same camp as you. The Taskmaster camp is a fun camp!

PK Gaming

Doctor Strange / Frank user here.

tumblr_inline_n0onzg2HDv1qhaskl.png

Top Bottom