• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Jintor

I dunno, I get the feeling gifposting would just derail this perfectly pleasant conversation we're having about terrible light novels

let's just skip this step entirely and start writing light novels

Weeeeeeell...I have been secretly working on a little something-something:

It takes place in a haunted high school, and a group of teenagers have to use the power of friendship to get to the bottom of the strange happenings...only to find out THEY WERE TO GHOSTS THE WHOLE TIME!!!

Rhapsody

Banned
I guess you guys are going to make me finish off the anime that I stopped watching. And this is coming from someone that likes the LN. :/

Tamanon

Banned
I think you guys should divide the light novel up, like one person takes page 1, another page 2 and so on, then repeating until you're finished.

You can only read your pages, nothing in between. Then when everyone's finished, you try to come up with the plot together.

Gazoinks

I think you guys should divide the light novel up, like one person takes page 1, another page 2 and so on, then repeating until you're finished.

You can only read your pages, nothing in between. Then when everyone's finished, you try to come up with the plot together.

Brilliant.

Dantis

Dibs on the last page.

Gotta know that twist ending!

Omikaru

There are only three copies of it: one is on my hard drive, the other backed up to a private server on the intertubes, and the third is a bound double spaced printout in my drawer which I'll get around to editing in six months or so.

It's not very good so I haven't done anything with it yet, but I don't really feel interested in editing it right now. I do my best editing when I've got enough distance from the piece to look at it more objectively, and I don't think I've kept it locked away for long enough to do that yet.

Daimaou

Look what showed up today! (sorry for poor quality phone pictures)

G9n50oi.jpg

7ZATtl5.jpg

9HmjX3Z.jpg

I've had his Red and Black books for ages, finally found a "New" one.

Jintor

There are only three copies of it: one is on my hard drive, the other backed up to a private server on the intertubes, and the third is a bound double spaced printout in my drawer which I'll get around to editing in six months or so.

It's not very good so I haven't done anything with it yet, but I don't really feel interested in editing it right now. I do my best editing when I've got enough distance from the piece to look at it more objectively, and I don't think I've kept it locked away for long enough to do that yet.

let me edit it

or at least read it

this is actually just a ploy to let me read it okay

Dantis

So how are we doing this? A chapter a week? Two chapters?

There are nine chapters total, the last two being very short and currently untranslated.

Omikaru

let me edit it

or at least read it

this is actually just a ploy to let me read it okay

Real talk: I will send anyone on here (who I like -- that includes you Jintor! :p) a copy of it when it is ready. I like to edit something once or twice before I share it with anyone, and at the moment it literally is a first draft gathering digital dust.

But sure, that's a provisional 'yes, you may check this out before I start hawking it to agents and publishers'. I plan on sending it to a number of people who I trust if I think it's worth continuing work on, and a number of people in PersonaGAF are people that I trust.

There are nine chapters total, the last two being very short and currently untranslated.

I think a chapter a week sounds good. Personally I could burn through the whole thing in a week, but I know a lot of people don't have the time, or don't want to dedicate the time, to read a book so fast, so in my view it's best to give everyone a whole seven days to sit down and read a chapter. That's an average of nearly 45 pages a week, which the average reader could get through in 30-45 minutes. Not a massive ask, as far as weekly reading goes.

Dantis

I think a chapter a week sounds good. Personally I could burn through the whole thing in a week, but I know a lot of people don't have the time, or don't want to dedicate the time, to read a book so fast, so in my view it's best to give everyone a whole seven days to sit down and read a chapter. That's an average of nearly 45 pages a week, which the average reader could get through in 30-45 minutes. Not a massive ask, as far as weekly reading goes.

My thoughts exactly.

Gazoinks

Another vote for a chapter a week. I read fast so I can do more than that, but I could see fatigue from the terrible so it might be wise to keep it lower.

Rhapsody

Banned
A chapter a week gets my vote. I could certainly read more, but I don't feel like devoting so much time to this book in a short period.
I have other stuff I want and need to get done too.

Dantis

So, we read the first chapter (Plus the short prologue) by next Tuesday, and try to avoid discussing it until then (As it would kind of defeat the purpose).

Sound good?

Also keep in mind that we can't actually link the translation on here. It's pretty easy to find though.

Something about Dantis reading that Naoto detective thing makes me fear a lot of things.

Your wife's in the prologue, mate. You should be all over this.

Dantis

Well just make sure your pants stay on when you read the Naoto stuff, ok?

Will you actually not be participating in this, Smedwicks? I think it'll be fun.

I might keep a word document open to save some of the best lines, lol. I know there's going to be some classic writing in there.

Will you actually not be participating in this, Smedwicks? I think it'll be fun.

I might keep a word document open to save some of the best lines, lol. I know there's going to be some classic writing in there.

I don't even know what's happening! I cam back from school and was all confused!

Dantis

I don't even know what's happening! I cam back from school and was all confused!

PersonaGAF Book Club.

Reading one chapter of Persona X Detective a week, and discussing it the following week.

We'll be discussing chapter 1 next Tuesday.

It's pretty low commitment. Like Omi said, it's like, half an hour of reading per week. You'll blast through it.

Omikaru

heh.

Why haven't I seen you in NaNoGAF or WritingGAF

I did NaNoWriMo for 2013. I'm on the GAF leaderboard and everything. I haven't really participated in any NaNoWriMo stuff after that, though.

As for WritingGAF, I want to but I kind of do my own thing and don't really talk with other writers besides the people I went to university with. I'm also really bad at checking threads regularly, which I should probably work on fixing...

Shengar

I didn't even hit 10k last year for NaNo :T

Well at least you start something. I didn't even make any concept for it :<

Speaking of concept remind of Jung. Will P5 focus even deeper to Jungian psychology? There are a LOT of thing that you can turn into fiction from Jung's writing.

Omikaru

Not even going to bother with mine. It's trash, plain and simple. I do enjoy the process of doing 50k in a month, however. It reminds me that I could churn my writing out faster, but that it'd suck. It's an enjoyable reminder that outside of NaNo I am doing my best, and my best work is the stuff that will be published.

PersonaGAF Book Club.

Reading one chapter of Persona X Detective a week, and discussing it the following week.

It's pretty low commitment. Like Omi said, it's like, half an hour of reading per week. You'll blast through it.

Is this going to be in the thread?

Yeesh, why am I entertaining the thought of doing this. What have you people done to me ;_;

I did NaNoWriMo for 2013. I'm on the GAF leaderboard and everything. I haven't really participated in any NaNoWriMo stuff after that, though.

As for WritingGAF, I want to but I kind of do my own thing and don't really talk with other writers besides the people I went to university with. I'm also really bad at checking threads regularly, which I should probably work on fixing...

I didn't even hit 10k last year for NaNo :T

At least you broke 10k. I got like 6k ;_;

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I leave you all for like twelve hours and this is what I come back to!?

God speed, you all. I once considered translating it as a horrible joke but I've never been able to make it past the first chapter of that or the manga adaptation and I'm genuinely horrified someone actually took it upon themselves to translate that beast. There's a decent amount of T&A strewn about in the artwork, so if that's what you want out of your Naoto stories, there's... that.

I say that as someone still planning to translate the Aigis cell phone game one of these days, so maybe I'm not in that much of a position to judge.

Still...

ogWtjrY.gif

Sophia

As non-canonical as it is, I'd like to see a translation of the Aigis cellphone game. It does have some interesting story elements.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
The fact it has an origin story for her bow is reason enough for it to be top tier canon, so fundamental to the sanctity of the Persona lore that not even a retcon can override it.

I guess now we need a second cell phone game to explain why she switched out to a tie for Arena though. Or it's probably in that Persona cell phone MMO we all forgot about. Probably. ;D

koutoru

Can anyone explain to me what inspired the changes in the art style from Persona 2 to Persona 3 (or for that matter all Shin Megami Tensei games after the early 2000's)?

I mean how they shifted from a sort of pale mannequin type art style for the more anime type art style they have now. All Shin Megami Tensei games used to use that art style.

EMT0

Banned
As non-canonical as it is, I'd like to see a translation of the Aigis cellphone game. It does have some interesting story elements.

Forget the phone game itself, we need it to be rebooted into Aigis x Vanquish gameplay. Where's that photoshopped picture when I need it? D:

Sophia

The fact it has an origin story for her bow is reason enough for it to be top tier canon, so fundamental to the sanctity of the Persona lore that not even a retcon can override it.

I guess now we need a second cell phone game to explain why she switched out to a tie for Arena though. Or it's probably in that Persona cell phone MMO we all forgot about. Probably. ;D

Well, the reasons it's not canon are minor (It apparently begins before Aigis was even first activated....)

But I'd love to hear the story, or see the elements adopted to the movie.

Forget the phone game itself, we need it to be rebooted into Aigis x Vanquish gameplay. Where's that photoshopped picture when I need it? D:

DO IT ATLUS! It must be dooone.

Can anyone explain to me what inspired the changes in the art style from Persona 2 to Persona 3 (or for that matter all Shin Megami Tensei games after the early 2000's)?

I mean how they shifted from a sort of pale mannequin type art style for the more anime type art style they have now. All Shin Megami Tensei games used to use that art style.

Kazuma Kaneko did the character artwork for Persona 1 and 2 and many other SMT games, whereas Shigenori Soejima did it for Persona 3 and 4.

Shengar

Is there any specific reason except to make her look "older" or "changed" for that? :O

Kazuma Kaneko did the character artwork for Persona 1 and 2 and many other SMT games, whereas Shigenori Soejima did it for Persona 3 and 4.

Earlier Soejima's artwork have pale-ish color that similar to Kaneko's though.

cj_iwakura

PersonaGAF Book Club.

I guess someone's been practicing their Japanese! Unless it's been fan translated.

Top Bottom