• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Good. Unlike my first P4 game, I'm not going to be a man-whore this time. :p

EDIT: Woah, I somehow was unaware they changed the battle theme from Reach Out To The Truth. Time To Make History is cool, but Truth man! Truth! :'(

Well, you can date Marie without any repercussions.

PK Gaming

Good. Unlike my first P4 game, I'm not going to be a man-whore this time. :p

EDIT: Woah, I somehow was unaware they changed the battle theme from Reach Out To The Truth. Time To Make History is cool, but Truth man! Truth! :'(

Reach Out To The Truth is still a battle theme; you need to land an enemy advantage.

Omikaru

I actually think Reach Out To The Truth being played less means I enjoy it more. I got sick of it by the end of P4 on PS2, so to only hear it every now and then on Golden was nice.

I hope with P5 we get varied battle themes so one doesn't get too annoying or tiresome.

I actually think Reach Out To The Truth being played less means I enjoy it more. I got sick of it by the end of P4 on PS2, so to only hear it every now and then on Golden was nice.

I hope with P5 we get varied battle themes so one doesn't get too annoying or tiresome.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I grew to dislike Mass Destruction...

I still have ptsd-flashbacks every time someone says the word "baby" to me.

Gazoinks

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I grew to dislike Mass Destruction...

I still have ptsd-flashbacks every time someone says the word "baby" to me.

Honestly, I just find Mass Destruction kind of annoying. :p I didn't get sick of Reach out to The Truth because I like it a lot more. Wiping All Out also seems better, but I'm only 8ish hours into P3P.

Honestly, I just find Mass Destruction kind of annoying. :p I didn't get sick of Reach out to The Truth because I like it a lot more. Wiping All Out also seems better, but I'm only 8ish hours into P3P.

There's no way that sick trumpet intro will ever get old.

Not only is Mass Destruction super-repetitive (even more so than most fight themes) it just doesn't get me pumped up to kill things :/ always seemed like more of an overworld theme than a fight theme.

Soriku

Just had a thought but I hope P5 has a Jukebox option like , with music from at least P3, P4, and Catherine included. Even better if we can use it during battle and dungeon crawling. I'd totally love to hear Stage from Catherine playing while fighting mobs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
P4's battle music got a lot more repetitive and annoying to me than P3. Never got tired of Mass Destruction, I always had the volume turned up when I played through P3. Hell, I remember looping the track on my iPod for a couple months as well since one of the versions of the game came with a soundtrack CD when it came out. Towards the end of P4 I ended up muting the sound if I didn't care for the dungeon music.

PK Gaming

Word

I had a lot of trouble landing enemy advantages early on, so whenever I managed to pull it off, in addition to being awarded with turn advantage, I got a kick ass song to boot

kewlmyc

I must be the only one who adores Mass Destruction. Never got annoyed of it. Didn't get annoyed of Reach Out to the Truth either. I guess it depends on your tolerance of hip hop. I loved the Rhythm and beat of the song. It's very excited and gets me pumped for battle every time.

Lunar15

I must be the only one who adores Mass Destruction. Never got annoyed of it. Didn't get annoyed of Reach Out to the Truth either. I guess it depends on your tolerance of hip hop. I loved the Rhythm and beat of the song. It's very excited and gets me pumped for battle every time.

I love both. Can't get enough of that BABY BABY BABY

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

High five!

While I enjoy pretty much any genre, R&B and hip-hop are my primary ones and was also what I mainly listened to growing up. This may be a big part of it for some of us.

Mass Destruction is my second favorite Persona song behind Battle for Everyone's Souls, so you're definitely not alone. I absolutely adore the Live Band version!

Lord knows that the hip-hop part isn't the annoying part, I actually love LJ's raps...just...so...many... "ooh yeah's"

Nope, I love Mass Destruction! Hearing it for the first time really cemented my love for the game.

I never really cared for the P4 version of Reach Out to the Truth. Probably got spoiled by the Arena one by hearing that one first, but yeah, never cared for the original. Honestly there were times in P4G where I'd purposefully not take the enemy advantage so I could hear Time to Make History instead, lol. Mass Destruction on the other hand, I like that one quite a bit. Still don't get tired of that one either.

Gazoinks

My problem with is more the BABY BABY BABY, honestly. It makes it really obvious when it loops, which made it feel really repetitive after a while to me. If they'd toned that bit down I probably would've liked it more.

My problem with is more the BABY BABY BABY, honestly. It makes it really obvious when it loops, which made it feel really repetitive after a while to me. If they'd toned that bit down I probably would've liked it more.

This

The Reincarnation, and ESPECIALLY the band version are way better because of this.

Gazoinks

the engrish in reach out is irksome

Pft, that's part of the charm of Persona songs. :p

My ranking of the vocal Persona battle songs would probably be:
Reach Out To The Truth > Wiping All Out > Time To Make History > A Lone Prayer > Mass Destruction. They're all good though! I don't really dislike Mass Destruction as a song, but as I said above, I found it got a bit annoying after a while with all its "BABY"ing.

I haven't finished P3P or P1P though so maybe I'll get sick of those ones eventually. :p

Wiping All Out (she gets all the cool things :/) > Reach Out to the Truth (slightly)>Time To Make History>Mass Destruction. Never played P1 so I'm not gonna judge the other one without having actually hearing it while doing battle.

ramyeon

What was that Naoki guy's main issue? I never actually completed that S.Link so I'm wondering if I'm on the right track with him.
The wiki probably says it best.
Naoki is quite resentful for different reasons. Naoki is constantly pitied by everybody for having lost his sister Saki. As a result, Naoki seems trapped and is unable to move on with his own life since he's reminded of Saki's death constantly. However, later on in the Social Link, Naoki reveals that he felt that he may have been different since he couldn't mourn for his sister in the same manner as seen on T.V. or at least, not as strongly as most people normally would. In the end, Naoki really did miss his sister, as he was finally able to mourn and truly move on.

Gazoinks

The wiki probably says it best.

This playthrough I'm going to try to cover the many S.Links I ignored last time! I like how in P3 Persona evolutions are tied to the plot because it means there's no need to focus on party member links, whereas in P4 you kind of have to (plus the other bonuses you get).

Nachos

Ah, I figured it might be script editing, too, but I get that question a lot less often, so I wasn't entirely sure. Honestly, most all of my writing skills are self-taught, including what works and doesn't work for me in a translation context. As a freelancer and hobbyist, I pretty much have to do all of my writing work myself, including the editing portions, and while it's been working out pretty okay with me lately in terms of public reception, it's not normally an ideal setup on bigger projects like serialized manga translations, so I'm not sure how much of my knowledge is particularly transferable outside that specific context.

In a scanlation context where you'd be working with other people in a group, though, your role as an editor would be pretty similar to what you were doing with my translations where you're giving the translator feedback on their output as an outside party reading the material, while also obviously handling general proofreading duties. Sometimes the latter duty is handed off to another person entirely, which I never really understood, but in general I'd say that your most important assets as a translation editor are going to be those critical thinking skills (e.g.: "How is the audience going to react to a line written like this?", "Does the translated material connect cohesively and form a proper narrative?", etc.) and ideally a pretty detailed technical understanding of English grammar and writing mechanics relative to whatever style guidelines are established for the work in question. As a translator myself, I mostly need the latter when I work with an editor; I'm usually pretty good about adhering to grammar standards in published works and break rules only when I deliberately need to do so, but sometimes I slip up and go too colloquial in the wrong ways and an editor can be good for getting me to touch those bits up.

To that end, I have nothing to really back this idea up other than personal suppositions, but I'd imagine that the work is pretty similar to a comics editor in general at a place like Marvel or DC, so it might not hurt to just go research what they do to get an idea of what skills you should generally polish. A lot of the time I'd recommend that people punch up their writing skills, too, but you're solid as is, so I don't think that's potentially all that necessary beyond maybe brushing up on technical rules for English writing and structure.

I hope some of that was useful! I mostly work on my own both professionally and when I do fan translations, so my perspective on things might be a bit skewed.

Cool, thanks for the help! I mean, it's always good to practice, but without any knowledge of the jobs available, honing my craft might not necessarily land one. As for the grammar, I think I'm mostly fine. Back when I was learning how to build websites, I quickly found that a solid foundation in typography as a real, genuine study would be an easy, effective way to create visual interest, so touching up upon it forced me to touch up on my grammar, as well. I know the difference between a hyphen, an en-dash, and an em-dash, so it's usually pretty easy for me to make colloquial language that strictly adheres to all the grammar rules.

Still, it seems like a bit of a catch-22 right now, since I'd need credentials to get work and work to get credentials. Oh well, I'm only about two months into my twenties, so if I ever get super serious about this sort of stuff, I'm sure I'll find a way. At that point, it'll just boil down to pure tenacity.

(laugh) The direction for my "Name's Byakuya Togami" was to not give a fuck. Make fun of me after you play a few chapters. ;)

(Or seriously just go Japanese audio you guys will probably have a better time)

Like I said, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, implying that I have faith in you, to the point of risking 15-30 hours if my life on it. The trailers don't do you justice, but I'll make the judgment call after playing through everything.

Anyway, so long, guys. See y'all in a bit. Maybe we'll know something about Persona 5 by the time I get back.

Top Bottom