• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Caladrius

The most sensible thing written on this page.

Edit: Well, damnit.

This is even better: now it's the least sensible thing on this page!

Speaking of Mean Girls....
tumblr_mxj1z4XDtd1qh3twgo1_500.gif

Magnificent

Definitely. They have a lot of different poses and body language to them. That's my one complaint about P4's art, the portraits are much more static.

That was very disappointing once I actually realized it. Guess that was a product of the short turnover.

Just watched some Persona 4 Arena footage. I really don't like Chie and Teddie's new voices, I don't know if I could stomach going through Golden with those replacing the originals.

And the protagonist talking and having characterization feels wrong and is very off-putting. Like it's antithetical to him entirely.

Gazoinks

Just watched some Persona 4 Arena footage. I really don't like Chie and Teddie's new voices, I don't know if I could stomach going through Golden with those replacing the originals.

And the protagonist talking and having characterization feels wrong and is very off-putting. Like it's antithetical to him entirely.

I thought I'd mind new Chie in P4G, but I like her voice. A little awkward at first ("Trial of THE DRAAAAGOON), but still good and an improvement in some places ("Ah ha! Is this our chance?"). New Teddie sounds pretty much the same to me, honestly.

Rhapsody

Banned
I thought I'd mind new Chie in P4G, but I like her voice. A little awkward at first ("Trial of THE DRAAAAGOON), but still good and an improvement in some places ("Ah ha! Is this our chance?". New Teddie sounds pretty much the same to me, honestly.

I feel like it sounds better than in P4A's story. Or who knows, maybe I got used to it.

It matches a lot better than the original one imo.

I remember liking old Teddie's voice more at the start, but now it's hard remembering it.

I haven't heard it in P4G yet, but Chie's new voice sounds more like someone doing a stock cartoon character voice. I really liked Chie's original voice (the few bad reads here and there notwithstanding) because she sounded so... normal.

And I have an unusual attachment to Teddie's original voice, though I might be the only one. To the point that I was disappointed when Rise replaced him as the announcer. It felt knowingly but endearingly annoying. Teddie's new one feels like it's missing the endearing part.

Of course, all of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I haven't actually seen P4G in action (and in fact will refuse to do so until I have a chance to play it myself).

Lunar15

That's what I loved about the original cast, no one really went too high or plucky with their voices. Even Yuri Lowenthal kind of played it low key, which was nice.

Well, obviously Teddie did, but that was kind of the point. But yes, new teddie isn't bad, per se, but he definitely lacks something. There's a certain charm for it. The second person sounds like he's doing an imitation of the original, so it's probably not his fault.

Gazoinks

I feel like new Chie starts off too "anime squeaky", but she seems to kind of settle down after a while. It's still a different voice than Tracey Rooney's, but it works for me.

Acid08

Banned
P1P stuff:

Nanjo is getting left behind, level-wise. His spells kinda suck(he's still using his first Persona) so he doesn't do much damage and doesn't get a lot of XP. I've been fudging the system a bit though and he's starting to get more.

Are there any fusion basics I should know? I haven't done much of it. I'm not so into having to fuse new stuff for every party member.

Playing P3 for the first time I think the more diverse and animated portraits are actually kind of distracting. P4 has the right idea I think, but maybe that's just me.

P1P stuff:

Nanjo is getting left behind, level-wise. His spells kinda suck(he's still using his first Persona) so he doesn't do much damage and doesn't get a lot of XP. I've been fudging the system a bit though and he's starting to get more.

Are there any fusion basics I should know? I haven't done much of it. I'm not so into having to fuse new stuff for every party member.

Give Gozu-Tennoh to Mark, give Phaleg to Eriko, that will carry you until endgame.

Acid08

Banned
Well, obviously Teddie did, but that was kind of the point. But yes, new teddie isn't bad, per se, but he definitely lacks something. There's a certain charm for it. The second person sounds like he's doing an imitation of the original, so it's probably not his fault.
Totally agree with you here. Teddie was weirder for me to listen to because it sounded similar but you could just tell that it wasn't right. Eventually I came to terms with it but I never stopped noticing it.

I feel like new Chie starts off too "anime squeaky", but she seems to kind of settle down after a while. It's still a different voice than Tracey Rooney's, but it works for me.
Also agree with this. Chie's new voice was rough at the beginning but her readings became really good by the middle and through to the end of the game. I think she expressed emotion much better than the OG voice did.

P3 at least has some of it, although to a lesser degree than 2. 4 is totally static.
i actually forgot about those for a moment. junpei gets a distressed portrait unique to his casual wear for some reason.

this reminds me, i was kind of weirded out by the all-out attack call portrait changes in portable. akihiko is distressed and junpei is angry.

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS (help…)

Rhapsody

Banned
I remember how much I hated new Teddie when the first english PV came out for Arena.
His voice was really straining to hit that certain note and pitch.

PK Gaming

Re: Teddie's voice

I love Dave Wittenburg, but his Teddie sounds like an middle-aged man trying to sound like a young person. I seriously have a hard time swallowing that he's Teddie, especially when he's talking
under his human guise.
Sam Riegal really nails the "youthful idiot" vibe that Teddie's got going.
P1P stuff:

Yeah Nanjo needs to upgrade, pronto. Give him Gozu-tennoh (if it's already on Mark) and have him kill mobs to catch up. Then, try to fuse some of higher leveled personas that seem good on paper. (Levels aren't enough, use your judgement to get Personas will solid skills.)

Some early game Personas: Urvashi(14), Fuutai(16), Lilim(21)

There aren't any major fusion tips. Just gather as many spell cards as you can, and try to fuse demons.

Style

Banned
P1P stuff:

You definitely want to try to get the persona called Fuutai. Fuutai gets an extreme amount of Dx if you level it up. Put all your stat points in to Agi and then equip Fuutai on your main character. You will always hit first and deal a lot of damage because of Fuutai's Dx stats. I used Fuutai all the way until endgame, because once you want to change persona on the main character you just give Fuutai to another gun user (Nanjo or Reiji). Start to enjoy the wonders of the gun. Dx combined with gun spam is good.

If you are having problems with Nanjo give him Fuutai and start using gun attack.

Daimaou

P1P stuff:

It's also worth noting that Kaja spells count for a ton of contribution when experience is doled out. His first persona gets two of them (and they stack twice each), so you can use them in the meantime to make sure he doesn't fall too far behind until you get him something better.

Acid08

Banned
Okay so I have these equipped right now:

Elly-Phaleg
Mark-Gozu-Tennoh

Still trying to decide what to do for Maki and MC. Fuutai sounds good for Nanjo but I don't have the right combo to make it.

Edit: also, I really appreciate all the help everyone. Won't lie, I like P3/4's handling of this stuff way more :p

Okay so I have these equipped right now:

Elly-Phaleg
Mark-Gozu-Tennoh

Still trying to decide what to do for Maki and MC. Fuutai sounds good for Nanjo but I don't have the right combo to make it.

Edit: also, I really appreciate all the help everyone. Won't lie, I like P3/4's handling of this stuff way more :p

I really wish you could change the party's Personas in P3 and 4

Gazoinks

I really wish you could change the party's Personas in P3 and 4

I sort of have mixed feelings about. It probably won't happen, but I'd like them to do something of a middleground. Maybe an extension of the Persona Affinity system where each character can only equip certain Arcana. That way everyone still stays more unique, but you've got the gameplay variety and thematic stuff from holding multiple Personas.

I enjoy the thematic consistency of your party members having their one and only Persona.

It sort of depends on how you think of a Persona. In 1 & 2 they're more "a variety of masks you take depending on the situation" (which I think is more faithful to the Jungian idea?) compared to 3 & 4's "a reflection of your true self".

Sophia

Nocturne? For what, an hour? How long is that game's intro?

Something like that. It's still the closest thing to a "regular joe" protagonist we've ever gotten. None of the Persona protagonists count for various reasons, the SMT1 and SMT If protagonists summon demons within seconds of the game starting, SMT IV's cast begin as Samurai, Strange Journey you're all military elite right off the getgo...

Put simply, there never really has been a "regular joe" protagonist, because such protagonists in fiction either become The Everyman (and thus aren't regular anyhow) or they're boring empty shells like the Persona 1 protagonist. :p

Gazoinks

Something like that. It's still the closest thing to a "regular joe" protagonist we've ever gotten. None of the Persona protagonists count for various reasons, the SMT1 and SMT If protagonists summon demons within seconds of the game starting, SMT IV's cast begin as Samurai, Strange Journey you're all military elite right off the getgo...

The Devil Survivor protags are pretty average joe, do they count?

Squire

Banned

Put simply, there never really has been a "regular joe" protagonist, because such protagonists in fiction either become The Everyman (and thus aren't regular anyhow) or they're boring empty shells like the Persona 1 protagonist. :p

Agreed. I just thought it was funny because the premise if Nocturne seems to be becoming the polar opposite of an average joe.

Sophia

Agreed. I just thought it was funny because the premise if Nocturne seems to be becoming the polar opposite of an average joe.

Well the Protagonist of that game very much was an average joe to start out. Then good old Lucifier dropped a demon in his skull. :p

In contrast to every other protagonist who can build computers to summon demons, or is a messiah or chosen figure right out of the gate, he was pretty normal.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
[Meat Dimension]

I know I pretty much spend like 90% of my time in this thread raving about Dangan Ronpa instead of actually discussing Persona, but I really do like how aware that the writing is in that series that it's all taking place in a game specifically. A lot of the time it does come in the form of one-off references like that one, many of which I'm curious to know how much of the game's Japanese audience actually recognizes, but it can and does go a lot deeper than that at times and I think that's a tremendous asset that helps make both games feel distinct. I don't necessarily need every game I play to be that self aware about their own medium, but I do wish more played around with their narratives in terms of recognizing that they are drawing upon a rich history of other games for their tropes and whatnot and that the experience of pressing buttons and pushing sticks to make things happen makes the act of enjoying those stories play out in an inherently different manner. Monokuma doesn't have to (very light and inconsequential SDR2 prologue spoiler)
change the name tag in Usami's dialog box to Monomi
to show you he's a badass that will do whatever he damn well pleases, but he does and it helps solidify how powerful he is in the eyes of the player that he can violate even the sanctity of what we expect from a video game at almost a technical level and that's just great.

I didn't mean for my response to be that long for a simple screenshot, but here we are I suppose. I have no regrets.

Top Bottom