• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Squire

Banned
I know I pretty much spend like 90% of my time in this thread raving about Dangan Ronpa instead of actually discussing Persona, but I really do like how aware that the writing is in that series that it's all taking place in a game specifically. A lot of the time it does come in the form of one-off references like that one, many of which I'm curious to know how much of the game's Japanese audience actually recognizes, but it can and does go a lot deeper than that at times and I think that's a tremendous asset that helps make both games feel distinct. I don't necessarily need every game I play to be that self aware about their own medium, but I do wish more played around with their narratives in terms of recognizing that they are drawing upon a rich history of other games for their tropes and whatnot and that the experience of pressing buttons and pushing sticks to make things happen makes the act of enjoying those stories play out in an inherently different manner. Monokuma doesn't have to (very light and inconsequential SDR2 prologue spoiler)
change the name tag in Usami's dialog box to Monomi
to show you he's a badass that will do whatever he damn well pleases, but he does and it helps solidify how powerful he is in the eyes of the player that he can violate even the sanctity of what we expect from a video game at almost a technical level and that's just great.

I didn't mean for my response to be that long for a simple screenshot, but here we are I suppose. I have no regrets.

It's really quite alright. For better or worse we go off topic and have to reign it back in all the time, but there'll be DR discussion inevitably because it's been influenced by Persona and everyone who has played it seems to attest to that.

I definitely agree though. One of the things I love so much about the recent Saint's Row games is how willing they are to break the fourth wall and think outside the confines of what we typically expect from games. They just don't care and that always thrills me.

Dantis

So it looks like there are no rips of the Ultimax music about yet.

Surprising and disappointing, considering how early we got them for the original game.

cj_iwakura

DeSu 2's protagonist, maybe. As for Devil Survivor 1.... well (major spoilers)
he's a reincarnation of Abel.

Always could consult the power ranking chart.

Soul Hackers' PC is a normal guy too, who just happens to summon demons. Devil Summoner 1's didn't even know how to, he winds up in the body of Kyouji.

Jintor

Hey Omi! What's your story about?

I'm basically just heroes-journeying my way through this setup but I'm quite enjoying it right now

FluxWaveZ

So it looks like there are no rips of the Ultimax music about yet.

Surprising and disappointing, considering how early we got them for the original game.

Yeah, clearest I've seen are the main theme and Yukari's theme, but they're not rips.

Apparently it should be easy enough to do them, so I guess the people playing just don't care or something. Yeah, it kind of sucks when the themes for P4A were uploaded so quickly after it was out. Sucks more when I prefer the new themes, too.

Dantis

8ynbNOq.png

One more to go.

Yeah, clearest I've seen are the main theme and Yukari's theme, but they're not rips.

Apparently it should be easy enough to do them, so I guess the people playing just don't care or something. Yeah, it kind of sucks when the themes for P4A were uploaded so quickly after it was out. Sucks more when I prefer the new themes, too.
Man, I'm not feeling Yukari's theme at all. Sounds like a Kitajoh one again though. If Meguro does any tracks, those are the ones I'll be most interested in I guess.

The main theme is okay. I like it more than The Ultimate, and I like the chorus bit a lot. Not digging the weird strings as it starts though.

kewlmyc

I think us getting Arena's OST so early is weirder than us not getting Arena 2 OST yet. It took until the console release to get all of BB:CP's character themes.

One more to go.

Man, I'm not feeling Yukari's theme at all. Sounds like a Kitajoh one again though. If Meguro does any tracks, those are the ones I'll be most interested in I guess.

The main theme is okay. I like it more than The Ultimate, and I like the chorus bit a lot. Not digging the weird strings as it starts though.

Dantis, these FeMC outfit drawings are fantastic; I really hope you'll consider doing one for Yukari at some point, 'cause I'm loving all of these so far!

As for Yukari's Ultimax theme, yeah I'm hoping it will grow on me. It's pretty good, but it doesn't seem like something I'd add to a playlist going forward. Certainly not as catchy as "The Junes Hero," "Seeker Of Truth," or "Spirited Girl." Not sure if Kitajoh or Meguro did those P4A tracks, but I suppose it could be the lack of Meguro that's holding back Yukari's theme.

I do, however, really like the Ultimax main theme; just like "The Ultimate" it really pumps you up for a fighting game. I didn't know the Arena OST rips leaked early, but I would very much enjoy it if Ultimax's did as well! :)

Dantis

Dantis, these FeMC outfit drawings are fantastic; I really hope you'll consider doing one for Yukari at some point, 'cause I'm loving all of these so far!

As for Yukari's Ultimax theme, yeah I'm hoping it will grow on me. It's pretty good, but it doesn't seem like something I'd add to a playlist going forward. Certainly not as catchy as "The Junes Hero," "Seeker Of Truth," or "Spirited Girl." Not sure if Kitajoh or Meguro did those P4A tracks, but I suppose it could be the lack of Meguro that's holding back Yukari's theme.

I do, however, really like the Ultimax main theme; just like "The Ultimate" it really pumps you up for a fighting game. I didn't know the Arena OST rips leaked early, but I would very much enjoy it if Ultimax's did as well! :)

Thanks, haha! Yeah, I can do Yukari sometime too no problem. Naoto first though.

The Junes Hero and Spirited Girl are Meguro, along with Wandering Wolf and Shadows of The Labyrinth (I've also only just noticed that PQ has the same name as a Meguro track... Odd!). Seeker of Truth is Kitajoh, but it's one of his better tracks on the OST, I think.

My main problem with Kitajoh's tracks on Arena is that they all have a very similar sound, I think, and none of them are very catchy because they don't have powerful Meguro style choruses or anything.

Thanks, haha! Yeah, I can do Yukari sometime too no problem. Naoto first though.

The Junes Hero and Spirited Girl are Meguro, along with Wandering Wolf and Shadows of The Labyrinth (I've also only just noticed that PQ has the same name as a Meguro track... Odd!). Seeker of Truth is Kitajoh, but it's one of his better tracks on the OST, I think.

My main problem with Kitajoh's tracks on Arena is that they all have a very similar sound, I think, and none of them are very catchy because they don't have powerful Meguro style choruses or anything.

Nah It's missing an 's' :p

One more to go.

Nice, You're getting better!

PK Gaming

I enjoy the thematic consistency of your party members having their one and only Persona.
But people have multiple persona ~_!

The reason why your party members are limited to one Persona was because they needed a definite separation between the protagonist and his party members. (At least, that was the case in P3 anyway)
I think the only time the SMT franchise has had a regular joe as a protagonist was Nocturne...
Maya and Tatsuya are regular people. They're no more powerful than their party members.
I guess both of the Devil Summoner protagonists count as well, though the Soul Hackers protagonist is a crazy good hacker.
One more to go.

Saw this on tumblr the other day

So good.jpg, and i'm positive that you're getting better at drawing!

Forgot to mention what Arena songs I like. Spirited Girl, Like The Dragon and Reach Out To The Truth -in Mayonaka Arena- (which doesn't really count, I guess)

MSMrRound

Forgot to mention what Arena songs I like. Spirited Girl, Like The Dragon and Reach Out To The Truth -in Mayonaka Arena- (which doesn't really count, I guess)

I remembered popping in Persona 4 Arena at the office with someone else who had only played P3P. I picked Elizabeth against his character, and once he heard "The Battle for Everybody's Souls" playing, he immediately went "that's her theme!? F this shit!" Needless to say, when I used Elizabeth's Instant Kill against him, bad memories started flooding back for him. Hellooo 9999 megidolaon!

Dantis

Dantis

Is he the royal screener for anything you may be interested in? :p

Ha! Not really. But I trust his opinion on anime (At least to a point), because I know nothing about it and he does.

Like I said, I'm renting it regardless of him saying I wouldn't like it.

Yeah I can see you would either love it or despise it.

Aka the norm for you.

Pretty much what I'm expecting too, tbh. I was really excited for it when it was first announced, but... I dunno. I'm still looking forward to playing it, but not enough to buy it.

It doesn't help that I really, really dislike the art.

Ha! Not really. But I trust his opinion on anime (At least to a point), because I know nothing about it and he does.

Like I said, I'm renting it regardless of him saying I wouldn't like it.

Pretty much what I'm expecting too, tbh. I was really excited for it when it was first announced, but... I dunno. I'm still looking forward to playing it, but not enough to buy it.

It doesn't help that I really, really dislike the art.

To be fair I really like it, and you know how I am, lol.

Dantis

The anime is awful. That's like someone not recommending playing P4 or Devil Survivor 2 because the anime wasn't great.

Like I say, it's kind of redundant because I'm playing it either way.

As it happens, he actually loved the anime, haha.

To swing this back on topic, does anyone feel like bringing me up to speed with what Arena 2 adds besides a hilarious story and three new characters and shadow versions of existing characters? Are there new moves for the existing characters or anything?

Seems like kind of a slim sequel to me. Which ArcSys's games usually are, I guess.

MSMrRound

In defense, I thought the P4 anime was still okay (as someone who had not played the game back then), thanks to the show being two-cours for the plot to be fleshed out.

DeSu2 and DanganRonpa adaptations were terrible though.

To swing this back on topic, does anyone feel like bringing me up to speed with what Arena 2 adds besides a hilarious story and three new characters and shadow versions of existing characters? Are there new moves for the existing characters or anything?

Seems like kind of a slim sequel to me. Which ArcSys's games usually are, I guess.

Every character has some new moves, yeah. Can't really say much about the content though, considering we know nothing about the console version right now. Ideally, they'll bring over BBCP's lobby system.

Top Bottom