• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
P1 has most of its story in character building. P2's the same way, you don't get deluged in exposition. You just enjoy the ride.
Even so, it's really light. I take every opportunity to talk to the characters, even when I know they'll say the same thing, because I desperately want more than the game is giving me. I am enjoying what they provide though.

Right now I'd say that Mark is probably the most well realized character. Nanjo is especially one dimensional and Maki is kind of just there. Elly actually has more cool stuff in her conversation dialogue than anyone else.

PK Gaming

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THE WHOLE KING'S GAME EPISODE IS AVAILABLE IN GIF FORM.

There's just waaaaay too many worthy moments.

"Dude you can't have all three at once!"

"I can. Because I'M the King."

oXo9Z.gif

tumblr_mrc2ylSppU1spdy36o9_250.gif

tumblr_mrc2ylSppU1spdy36o10_250.gif

tumblr_mrc2ylSppU1spdy36o2_500.gif

cjkeats

The whole school trip in P4 is the best fan service in the series.

Or at least it was back when I was playing P4 for the first time immediately after P3 when I should've been studying for finals. Ahh distractions.

cj_iwakura

Even so, it's really light. I take every opportunity to talk to the characters, even when I know they'll say the same thing, because I desperately want more than the game is giving me. I am enjoying what they provide though.

Right now I'd say that Mark is probably the most well realized character. Nanjo is especially one dimensional and Maki is kind of just there. Elly actually has more cool stuff in her conversation dialogue than anyone else.

You get a lot more out of Ayase, Elly, and Yukino in the SQQ, so definitely check that out.

EMT0

Banned
BRB MUST RCLICK SAV

I still need Yosuke's freak out to all three of them on Yu.

G8pnJ_zps5d3d584a.gif

im_the_king_toddhunted0a5o.gif

sWrkwEH.gif

tumblr_miasoxq2hM1r219jqo3_r1_500.gif

This episode had me laughing hard, so hard. The episode would just keep coming back to me for the next three days, and every single time I'd start snickering.

Sophia

Nanjo and Elly (alongside Yukino) actually reappear in Persona 2 as playable characters. Like a lot of the P1 cast, they get far better story and characterization there.

Persona 1 is really lacking in that department, no doubt because of its age.

I find depictions of Yu with any sort of actual characterization and personality to be very off-putting for some reason. Those gifs are like nails on a chalk board to me.

Acid08

Banned
I find depictions of Yu with any sort of actual characterization and personality to be very off-putting for some reason. Those gifs are like nails on a chalk board to me.
Most of that anime is just TURNT UP versions of the actual characters personalities. That episode in particular is just too over the top.

PK Gaming

It's the complete opposite for me.

I'm not a fan of silent protagonists that lack a defined personality, so Yu's made up personality in the anime (and p4a, to a lesser extent) super appealing for me. In fact, I think it's the primary draw point of the anime; there's little reason to bother watching it otherwise.

CorvoSol

After Dissidia gave me the hilariously generic Warrior of Light, I'm a fan of the idea of giving light personalities to silent protagonists.

Don't worry, the P2 duology is commonly talked about having the best story in the series. I think Nanjo is fucking cool btw.

After Dissidia gave me the hilariously generic Warrior of Light, I'm a fan of the idea of giving light personalities to silent protagonists.
Eh, I don't mind it for characters that are literal blank slates with absolutely nothing to them, but silent protagonists who's entire personality is defined by your own decisions? Nope, I can't. It's like watching someone else play the game. Can't handle it.

PK Gaming

The personality they gave him couldn't have been better either.

They could have given him the "calm/cool/leader-type" personality and be done with it, but they took it a step further. For example, I appreciate how some of the eccentric responses in P4 were worked it into his character in the anime, and there was a definite progression of how wacky he got as the series progressed. It's also totally in-line with how Atlus is treating Yu at the moment (if you were to play through P4G, you would notice how utterly ridiculous some of his responses are), a far cry from the stoic young man with the intense half-glare.

Suffice it to say, I really enjoyed his characterization from the anime. I mean the alternative was... what exactly?

Acid08

Banned
Don't worry, the P2 duology is commonly talked about having the best story in the series. I think Nanjo is fucking cool btw.
One Nanjo moment that made me appreciate his character is when
you have to decide to save the professor or like him die. Nanjo was the only one who said let him die
. He's different from the rest, I'll say that for him.

I mean the alternative was... what exactly?
There's obviously no other alternative for the anime (which is frivolous nonsense that I can easily avoid), but I find it much more off-putting in Arena. It feels like it's trying to retroactively establish some sort of canon personality onto him, which I find off-putting and strikes me as antithetical to the entire point of both the character and the game.

PK Gaming

There's obviously no other alternative for the anime (which is frivolous nonsense that I can easily avoid), but I find it much more off-putting in Arena. It feels like it's trying to retroactively establish some sort of canon personality onto him, which I find off-putting and strikes me as antithetical to the entire point of both the character and the game.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think there's anything wrong with retrofitting a personality onto a blank slate; Tatsuya (Persona 2:IS -> EP) & Makoto Yuki (Persona 3 -> P3 movie) benefit tremendously from it. Personally, I think the silent blank slate protagonist model is archaic anyway; I hope the P5 protagonist is handled in a similar way as Vincent was from Catherine, ie: You can clearly mold them to suit your desires as you see fit, but there's something there to begin with.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't think they could get away with not giving Yu a personality in Arena since it's a fighter.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think there's anything wrong with retrofitting a personality onto a blank slate; Tatsuya (Persona 2:IS -> EP) & Makoto Yuki (Persona 3 -> P3 movie) benefit tremendously from it. Personally, I think the silent blank slate protagonist model is archaic anyway; I hope the P5 protagonist is handled in a similar way as Vincent was from Catherine, ie: You can clearly mold them to suit your desires as you see fit, but there's something there to begin with.

EDIT: As an aside, I don't think they could get away with not giving Yu a personality in Arena since it's a fighter.
Yes, it is clear we have very different viewpoints here. I wouldn't be completely devastated if the Protagonist of P5 wasn't completely silent (though I think I would greatly prefer it if they were), that doesn't particularly bother me as much as giving personality to that which was defined by its lack of personality and a strong emphasis on personal choice before. It feels like it's attempting to supersede your own experience (I quite strongly feel that personal experience makes up a large part of what P4 is supposed to be), which I don't much care for.

EDIT: I personally don't see a problem with a silent fighter, but I dunno.

Acid08

Banned
I wonder if the P5 protag is going to be designed with some kind of consideration for anime/spinoffs. Like maybe they'll give him a more defined personality to make him, and the game, more marketable.

I don't mind a silent protag as long as the dialogue choices are varied and interesting. I think that "your choices, your experiences" add a lot to Persona games.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if the P5 protag is going to be designed with some kind of consideration for anime/spinoffs. Like maybe they'll give him a more defined personality to make him, and the game, more marketable.

If any aspect of P5's design was created for the sole purpose of creating spin-offs or for marketing, we would know it and it would likely feel shallow. I have faith in P-Studio that these are not things that they have considered when it comes to their creative vision for Persona 5.

PK Gaming

i don't see the logic here
Fighters tend to have a ton of interactions with other characters. Win quotes, in-battle quotes, versus dialogue, tone, etc. It would be difficult to set these things without some semblance of a personality.

It wouldn't be right if Yu's win quotes were always "..."

Get me?

Acid08

Banned
Fighters tend to have a ton of interactions with other characters. Win quotes, in-battle quotes, versus dialogue, tone, etc. It would be difficult to set these things without some semblance of a personality.

Get me?
That would be kind of hilarious actually. A nod and a "hmph" to every character.

Sophia

Get me?

That should totally be the P3 protagonist, alongside "Whatever" / "Doudemo ii"

CorvoSol

Eh, I don't mind it for characters that are literal blank slates with absolutely nothing to them, but silent protagonists who's entire personality is defined by your own decisions? Nope, I can't. It's like watching someone else play the game. Can't handle it.

Eh, for the most part they're playing him near enough to how I did. ESPECIALLY the school trip to Tatsumi Port Island. Yu taking that shot of the guys on the waterbed and being all "Uploading this to my wall."

The only real difference is he spent too much time with Chie in that episode. IT IS RISE DAY ALL DAY EVERY DAY.

It should be around whenever you can Social Link. Are you connected to the internets?

Oh well there you go.

I don't even really consider Yu a character at all. He's the equivalent of the Dragonborne or the player character in Pokemon--almost entirely tabula rasa, a window for yourself in the game. In P4, I'm not playing as Yu, I'm playing as me, or whatever kooky character I've imagined him to be. Heck, I only refer to the protagonist as Yu out of expediency. Yu is a non-entity as far as I'm concerned.

I almost think a character creator (or at least minor customization) should be a part of P5, but I haven't actually completely thought it out if it's actually a good idea. But I think they should really go full bore into the role-playing aspect.

The only real difference is he spent too much time with Chie in that episode. IT IS RISE DAY ALL DAY EVERY DAY.
Actually this bothers me a bunch in Arena's story--no real acknowledgement of the main character's relationships. This more than Yu's personality feels like it really cheapens your P4 playthrough. Not sure how it could be rectified though.

EDIT: Maybe by asking you like for some of the stuff at the beginning of Mass Effect 2.

Okay, I feel I've said enough on my feelings regarding P4's spinoffs and stuff.

I have a random question for Persona 3: is there any reliable way to advance to the next S.Link with "Maya" without having to waste a whole day to get "you feel your relationship will be stronger soon" or whatever?

Moonlight

Banned
Okay, I feel I've said enough on my feelings regarding P4's spinoffs and stuff.

I have a random question for Persona 3: is there any reliable way to advance to the next S.Link with "Maya" without having to waste a whole day to get "you feel your relationship will be stronger soon" or whatever?
You can go to Naganaki Shrine and draw a relationship fortune for Maya at the box to the right of the offertory box.

PK Gaming

I don't even really consider Yu a character at all. He's the equivalent of the Dragonborne or the player character in Pokemon--almost entirely tabula rasa, a window for yourself in the game. In P4, I'm not playing as Yu, I'm playing as me, or whatever kooky character I've imagined him to be. Heck, I only refer to the protagonist as Yu out of expediency. Yu is a non-entity as far as I'm concerned.

I almost think a character creator (or at least minor customization) should be a part of P5, but I haven't actually completely thought it out if it's actually a good idea. But I think they should really go full bore into the role-playing aspect.

I see.

If Persona 4 was a standalone game, i'd be inclined to agree with you, however... with Atlus's ever growing focus on the Persona 4 brand, that kind of approach to Yu's characterization would simply not work. Yu absolutely needs to be his own character in order to exist in games outside of Persona 4; he can't be tied down to the player anymore. With games like PQ, P4D, P4A, etc it was absolutely imperative that they set up some sort of personality.
Actually this bothers me a bunch in Arena's story--no real acknowledgement of the main character's relationships. This more than Yu's personality feels like it really cheapens your P4 playthrough. Not sure how it could be rectified though.
?

Do you mean relationships in general, or romantic relationships?

Because if it's the former, P4A makes several reference events that take place during most of the main social links, and characters (including Yu) give their thoughts & opinion on other members throughout the story (and in certain victory quotes). Yu actually has a fairly accurate summation of Yosuke in his story mode.
Yu said:
True, Yosuke may say some insensitive things, but mostly that's because he reads too much into a situation and becomes outspoken.

Not bad, if you ask me.

Get me?
if being generic like a lot of fighting game characters would have him step into that territory of personality then i guess so. the game has a story mode anyway and arcsys loves lots of dialogue.

You guys are but casual scum. More below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGWEb5QxGA
P.S I apologize for the homophobia. It's satirical...
I hope.
that has been linked before. those guys were paid to do that.

fertygo

Brown and Ayase had the best dialogue.. too bad you can only choose 2 party member for each route

The void boss is so fucking cheap.

Any advice on it?

And is 40 getting to be in the neighborhood of a passable level for it?

My party is (tagging for spoilers)
i'm level 40. Have a level 42 Parvati that's weak against fire and nulls ice. Knows zionga, evade fire, agilao, garula, mabufula, megido, mediarama and marakukaja. Chie is 40. Kanji is 41. Teddie is 42.

Just got Persona 4 Arena in the mail. In addition to being fun, this game is crazy stylish.

Arc System Works fighters have a certain charm to them that other fighters don't. Combine that with the fact that the game is set in the Persona universe and you've got something quite special! The game looks beautiful and plays really well. Good luck! ^_^

Top Bottom