• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

PaulloDEC

Arc System Works fighters have a certain charm to them that other fighters don't. Combine that with the fact that the game is set in the Persona universe and you've got something quite special! The game looks beautiful and plays really well. Good luck! ^_^

I'm typically hopeless at fighters (especially technical ones) but this looks like a lot of fun even if I'm just mashing. The backgrounds are fantastic too; I hope we can expect some neat stuff like that in P5.

Tiu Neo

I am the only who thinks P3P is the best version of the game?
I can't stand the combat in the orginal version.

IMO, there's no "best" version of P3. P3P has the better dungeon exploring and revamped battle system, while everything outside Tartarus/Boss Battles is better on FES. It's kinda hard playing one after getting used to another, for this reason :p What I did, and I think it's the best way to appreciate the game, is play FES first, and play Portable in the subsequent playthroughs. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Dantis

IMO, there's no "best" version of P3. P3P has the better dungeon exploring and revamped battle system, while everything outside Tartarus/Boss Battles is better on FES. It's kinda hard playing one after getting used to another, for this reason :p What I did, and I think it's the best way to appreciate the game, is play FES first, and play Portable in the subsequent playthroughs. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

Agree with all of this.

I was actually really hoping for a definitive version on the Vita, but I guess it's not meant to be.

i like how fast it is, the party control, equipping from the menu, going to the police station whenever, saving at school, the female's social links and lighter attitude, and skill cards. i didn't care much about the lacking presentation compared to everything else (it got weird during some major scenes though, like junpei
attacking jin
). i did sort of miss the protagonist's weapon variety.

Tiu Neo

Agree with all of this.

I was actually really hoping for a definitive version on the Vita, but I guess it's not meant to be.

Me too, but maybe a full, complete, definitive version is too much work for a fourth version of the game. All the FemMC scenes would have to be remade on the game engine...

But I still have hope it's possible. Maybe after the movies and Persona 5?

koutoru

Personally, I hope for more female protagonists as canon in the future.

Out of the whole Persona timeline there has only been 2 female canon protagonists.

Agreed.

Me too, but maybe a full, complete, definitive version is too much work for a fourth version of the game. All the FemMC scenes would have to be remade on the game engine...

But I still have hope it's possible. Maybe after the movies and Persona 5?

Someday, someday...

Personally, I hope for more female protagonists as canon in the future.

Out of the whole Persona timeline there has only been 2 female canon protagonists.

FeMC is canon.
In my fanfiction T_T

One More Edit: @koutoru Mega Man Legends is my favorite Mega Man game.

DataDance.gif

koutoru

Alas, Elizabeth has been the hero of a Persona game (yet).

Agreed.

DataDance.gif

Same here, grew up playing Legends on PS1 (Nostalgia trip~).

Have you played Legends 2? If so, how is it? I've never had the privilege to play it or that Tron Bonne game.
Legends 2 is every bit as good as Legends 1, although Legends 2 is a bit darker with its plot. A lot of the questions and mysteries surround Legends 1 are answered in Legends 2. I haven't played Misadventures of Tron Bonne yet.

Same here, grew up playing Legends on PS1 (Nostalgia trip~).

Have you played Legends 2? If so, how is it? I've never had the privilege to play it or that Tron Bonne game.

Legends 2 is every bit as good as Legends 1, although Legends 2 is a bit darker with its plot. A lot of the questions and mysteries surround Legends 1 are answered in Legends 2. I haven't played Misadventures of Tron Bonne yet.

Awesome, I really gotta check it out sometime. If I could get my hands on a copy...

Tiu Neo

DataDance.gif

Mine too!

Tron Bonne is the only game on the series I currently don't own. Too expensive, with import taxes it can easily cost $200-300 here. :(

From the little I played, I remember liking it. The mission structure made it easy to pick up and play a bit.

Eh. The combat was never that big of an issue to me. The worst that happened was
at the tank boss
. Other than that the ai performed decently. Although, like the others said, a definitive version of p3 would be great.

Szadek

Eh. The combat was never that big of an issue to me. The worst that happened was
at the tank boss
. Other than that the ai performed decently. Although, like the others said, a definitive version of p3 would be great.
I was playing on expert and low level(I'm almost always underleveled).

PK Gaming

To be honest, the AI is manageable with the menu tactics. You'll run into situations where the AI will cast Diarama instead of Media and vice versa and you'll never have control over the order of the buffs/debuffs that Aigis, Akihiko, etc use, but aside from that, you effectively get to control a character via the tactics menu.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
P3 could have done a better job of articulating how each of the tactical options actually affect your AI characters, but yeah, you can actually have a pretty fine level of control over their actions if you experiment a bit and see how your party members react to different battle conditions while abiding by different tactic settings. It's not perfect, but after a while, you'll get a good sense of the if-then-else logic that situationally dictate their choices after a while and the AI can be relatively cognizant of complex situations and react accordingly and flexibly if set well. Difficulty issues aside, I find that P3 doesn't really push you to be that fussy with the tactics menu unless you play The Answer, where the higher difficulty level tends to result in a decent amount of micromanagement, especially during boss battles. I personally liked the system and can see where the development team was coming from when they said the idea was that you just had to trust them to do well like you would a friend to tie it into Social Links and the overall theme of community, but I'm sympathetic to people who don't necessarily want to feel obligated to master that aspect of the game.

In general, at least with The Answer, I think the ideal tactical setting for most non-boss battles with non-healer characters is knockdown mode and not the free choice one, as it tells the AI to mainly pursue known weaknesses when possible and attacks with higher chances of critical hits if it's not known or otherwise possible without taking healing off the table altogether like more offensive options. If I recall, in cases where Fuuka can't remember enemy statistics, the AI will still focus on weaknesses after you've hit them with one that first time, which I find nice. (That might have changed slightly if they updated Fuuka's support to be more like Teddie's; I can't remember.)

CorvoSol

The void boss is so fucking cheap.

Any advice on it?

And is 40 getting to be in the neighborhood of a passable level for it?

My party is (tagging for spoilers)
i'm level 40. Have a level 42 Parvati that's weak against fire and nulls ice. Knows zionga, evade fire, agilao, garula, mabufula, megido, mediarama and marakukaja. Chie is 40. Kanji is 41. Teddie is 42.

So this was the one time in my first playthrough I needed a persona not named Izanagi. Black Frost absorbs fire and ice so you should be okay there. I brought Teddie, Yukiko, and Chie to this fight. Ted and Yukiko spammed healing (and Teddie used buffs when possible) and Chie was basically just "Do I need an item now? No? Then I'll attack." Meanwhile Black Frost lets you Mind Charge and then wail on the sucker with Agidyne.

Knowing when to make a party member defend is also key to avoiding allowing him a chance to get Megidola off on you.

You can go to Naganaki Shrine and draw a relationship fortune for Maya at the box to the right of the offertory box.
Oh, forgot all about that.

I see.

If Persona 4 was a standalone game, i'd be inclined to agree with you, however... with Atlus's ever growing focus on the Persona 4 brand, that kind of approach to Yu's characterization would simply not work. Yu absolutely needs to be his own character in order to exist in games outside of Persona 4; he can't be tied down to the player anymore. With games like PQ, P4D, P4A, etc it was absolutely imperative that they set up some sort of personality.
Of course (though I still feel him being generic in Arena would not have been a problem), though I would argue that, if making spinoffs and sequels requires you to retroactively overwrite that which you set up in the base game, then they shouldn't exist--maybe P4 should be a standalone game. This I understand is a pretty extreme opinion that I don't expect many to agree with though.

?

Do you mean relationships in general, or romantic relationships?

Because if it's the former, P4A makes several reference events that take place during most of the main social links, and characters (including Yu) give their thoughts & opinion on other members throughout the story (and in certain victory quotes). Yu actually has a fairly accurate summation of Yosuke in his story mode.
I meant the latter.

PK Gaming

It's probably a good thing that they neglected to mention it, given how the open-ended nature of the relationships, and how that sort of thing tends to set off the fanbase.

RISE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST! CHIE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST! YOSUKE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST!, etc.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Clearly what we're supposed to get out of that is that in the official canon, Yu loves himself too much to ever be anchored down to anyone else. I mean who wouldn't fall in love with all dat suave if they could wake up to that in the mirror everyday!?

It's probably a good thing that they neglected to mention it, given how the open-ended nature of the relationships, and how that sort of thing tends to set off the fanbase.

RISE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST! CHIE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST! YOSUKE IS THE CANON LOVE INTEREST!, etc.
That's why I said there could have been an option to choose at the beginning of the game. I think it being left out period feels like a bigger misstep--like it's suggesting that he didn't get into a relationship with any of them, which is just as bad as choosing a canonical one.

larry

Logash

I find myself pressing a ton of random buttons in Arena because of the autocombo feature. Hard for me to try when no matter what I do, I can get out some badass move.

PK Gaming

Clearly what we're supposed to get out of that is that in the official canon, Yu loves himself too much to ever be anchored down to anyone else. I mean who wouldn't fall in love with all dat suave if they could wake up to that in the mirror everyday!?
tumblr_lvfq36969C1r307gjo3_500.png

That's why I said there could have been an option to choose at the beginning of the game. I think it being left out period feels like a bigger misstep--like it's suggesting that he didn't get into a relationship with any of them, which is just as bad as choosing a canonical one.
Another difference of opinion I suppose. To me, the romantic relationships felt like a nice afterthought in P4. Nice and cheesy, but not something i'd ever bother bringing over.

It probably have been way too difficult fully implement anyway. (How would you handle relationships with girls outside of the IT? Would they be ignored, etc. There's just too much overhead)

Another difference of opinion I suppose. To me, the romantic relationships felt like a nice afterthought in P4. Nice and cheesy, but not something i'd ever bother bringing over.

It probably have been way too difficult fully implement anyway. (How would you handle relationships with girls outside of the IT? Would they be ignored, etc. There's just too much overhead)
Yes, we do seem to have very different viewpoints on the matter of the importance of the player's choices that I don't see us ever rectifying. Oh well.

And yeah, it'd probably be pretty difficult, but this is another area I feel pretty strongly in that it should be done right or it shouldn't be done at all.

Caladrius

I find myself pressing a ton of random buttons in Arena because of the autocombo feature. Hard for me to try when no matter what I do, I can get out some badass move.

The autocombos are powerful, but on the predictable side. I've been adamant about not using them when possible.

Have Yu canonically be with Marie just to piss everyone off.

I can't wait for the Persona version of "One More Day".

CorvoSol

Rise IS the canon love interest. And as much bromance as Teddie and Yosuke have with Yu, pretty sure Kanji is the canon guy. I mean, when asked "Whose swimsuit do you want to see, Yu?" The only option is "Kanji's, DUH."

Have Yu canonically be with Marie just to piss everyone off.

Dude this would be like revealing that Snape was Harry's father (which I fully expect Rowling to do the next time she feels nobody is paying attention to her.).

I wish you could Rank Up at night. So much stress would be gone if that were the case.

And that's when it hit him. Yu Narukami's pursuit of Social Link Perfection was ruining his social life.

"Are you okay, Senpai? We never talk anymore." Pouted Rise Kujikawa.
"You feelin' alright Partner? You don't look so good." Yosuke said.

Yu was not feeling alright. His skin was pale and he'd broken out into a cold sweat, and though he hadn't had lunch in months his only thought was how his time was being wasted with these two. He'd maxed their Social links ages ago. He couldn't afford to spend time with friends he'd already maxed out. He couldn't stop thinking of the third year with the fro and the insane riddles. He'd gone every night for a week to the shrine to write the master of enigmas' name on the tree, and beseeched every God he could for help in knowing the deep, underlying secret of that fro's life, but so far nothing. The riddles made no sense, and the soul of the man was even stranger.

He knew now that it was ruining his social life, but he couldn't escape it. It was always before him. During the day he couldn't stop hearing that silvery voice, and at night it he could see it as if it were there before his very eyes: the Nose of Fire, snotless and unsnoring. Always nudging him onward, always reminding him, always pushing him to keep forging and maxing out the Social Links.

He had abandoned Nanako in her hour of need with her homework, but it couldn't be helped. They had his cellphone number now. They'd dispatched an agent to follow him everywhere. Whenever they didn't think his social links were strong enough they'd have her call something stupid or say that she hated it, just to see how he'd react. He'd spent his life savings just to buy more and more cards to sate the social lust of the nose's mistress. He'd spent nights with nurses, old women, and homely little band girls to the detriment of his own girlfriend. He'd toyed with the emotions of friend and foe alike for the sake of advancing this agenda.

And the nose is never satisfied.

Logash

They should just make the lovers arcana canon for both. It makes sense thematically and I think that the lovers arcana in both games make most sense. Yu's too cool to be with anyone else and Makoto's only reasonable match up is Yukari.

PK Gaming

Question: How many people here completed all of Arena's story mode?

<----

And that's when it hit him. Yu Narukami's pursuit of Social Link Perfection was ruining his social life.

"Are you okay, Senpai? We never talk anymore." Pouted Rise Kujikawa.
"You feelin' alright Partner? You don't look so good." Yosuke said.

Yu was not feeling alright. His skin was pale and he'd broken out into a cold sweat, and though he hadn't had lunch in months his only thought was how his time was being wasted with these two. He'd maxed their Social links ages ago. He couldn't afford to spend time with friends he'd already maxed out. He couldn't stop thinking of the third year with the fro and the insane riddles. He'd gone every night for a week to the shrine to write the master of enigmas' name on the tree, and beseeched every God he could for help in knowing the deep, underlying secret of that fro's life, but so far nothing. The riddles made no sense, and the soul of the man was even stranger.

He knew now that it was ruining his social life, but he couldn't escape it. It was always before him. During the day he couldn't stop hearing that silvery voice, and at night it he could see it as if it were there before his very eyes: the Nose of Fire, snotless and unsnoring. Always nudging him onward, always reminding him, always pushing him to keep forging and maxing out the Social Links.

He had abandoned Nanako in her hour of need with her homework, but it couldn't be helped. They had his cellphone number now. They'd dispatched an agent to follow him everywhere. Whenever they didn't think his social links were strong enough they'd have her call something stupid or say that she hated it, just to see how he'd react. He'd spent his life savings just to buy more and more cards to sate the social lust of the nose's mistress. He'd spent nights with nurses, old women, and homely little band girls to the detriment of his own girlfriend. He'd toyed with the emotions of friend and foe alike for the sake of advancing this agenda.

And the nose is never satisfied.

That was solid, hahaha

Someone should turn that into a full-fledged comic

fertygo

They should just make the lovers arcana canon for both. It makes sense thematically and I think that the lovers arcana in both games make most sense. Yu's too cool to be with anyone else and Makoto's only reasonable match up is Yukari.

See even if the protag have canon pairing
(Aigis)
fanbase still reject it!

CorvoSol

That was solid, hahaha

Someone should turn that into a full-fledged comic

<----

I spent the walk home from a canceled class realizing that anybody who tried as hard as I am trying in P4G to become deep, everlasting friends with 90% of the people they came into contact with would be unwell before long. Especially if they had the Velvet Room on their back about it.

They should of course do no such thing.

Top Bottom