• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Sallokin

I've been catching up on S.Link FM over the last few weeks. I got to the Karen Strassman episode today and it is so good. It's kind of nice to listen to these and hear all the speculation and discussion knowing what we know now about the Index/Sega stuff and the reveals etc.

Sophia

You guys are so crazy.

I've been catching up on S.Link FM over the last few weeks. I got to the Karen Strassman episode today and it is so good. It's kind of nice to listen to these and hear all the speculation and discussion knowing what we know now about the Index/Sega stuff and the reveals etc.

The Karen Strassman episode is still one of my favorites. Her vocal range is downright impressive.

tumblr_n01qliTYBH1r7v90go1_400.jpg

Where are all the fetishes at!?

Lunar15

I disagree. P3 and P4 have really good presentation considering their simplicity.

Don't misunderstand: I absolutely adore the style of P3/P4. It all works graphically due to the simplicity and sheer style of how everything fits. They do well with what they've got.

What I'm referring to, specifically, are actual character animations. PQ may be a mess, visually speaking, but the characters at least have a variety of fluid animations. They're able to pull off some interesting dynamic cutscenes like that part where Mitsuru is holding on to Akihiko and Shinji. P4/P3 used a lot of the same static animations, even in important cutscenes. They both had pretty low animation fidelity.

P3/P4 were really the "budget series" for Atlus at the time. They did a stellar job in taking their limited budget and making it work for them, but you can't deny that they skimped on cutscenes and model animation compared to Nocturne and DDS. I'm particularly excited for P5 for this reason: It's going to get the star treatment.

Dantis

She does talk as if she's hard of hearing.

Only in P4G. :(

Don't misunderstand: I absolutely adore the style of P3/P4. It all works graphically due to the simplicity and sheer style of how everything fits. They do well with what they've got.

What I'm referring to, specifically, are actual character animations. PQ may be a mess, visually speaking, but the characters at least have a variety of fluid animations. They're able to pull off some interesting dynamic cutscenes like that part where Mitsuru is holding on to Akihiko and Shinji. P4/P3 used a lot of the same static animations, even in important cutscenes. They both had pretty low animation fidelity.

P3/P4 were really the "budget series" for Atlus at the time. They did a stellar job in taking their limited budget and making it work for them, but you can't deny that they skimped on cutscenes and model animation compared to Nocturne and DDS. I'm particularly excited for P5 for this reason: It's going to get the star treatment.

Ah. I was referring specifically to the battle animations. The cutscenes in both leave a lot to be desired, but you're right that PQ at least seems to have more variety.

Lunar15

I feel like PQ's battle layout is purely due to the creative team sticking to that first person EO style, rather than technical limitations. I agree that it doesn't look too hot, though.

In fact, I kind of wonder if they're just using the EOIV engine.

Caladrius

Only in P4G. :(

So your personal canon now completely excludes Arena, I see.

I feel like PQ's battle layout is purely due to the creative team sticking to that first person EO style, rather than technical limitations. I agree that it doesn't look too hot, though.

They probably are. This is Atlus we're talking about.

Setsu00

That's most likely what they're doing. Why bother with creating a new engine when you already have one that perfectly does what you want?

Dantis

I think you're probably right, and I think they probably are.

So your personal canon now completely excludes Arena, I see.

Arena?

Sophia

I bet a lot of the improvements to the EO formula that'll be seen in PQ will make its way back to EO in a future installment. Especially if they follow up Untold with its story telling.

FluxWaveZ

I bet a lot of the improvements to the EO formula that'll be seen in PQ will make its way back to EO in a future installment. Especially if they follow up Untold with its story telling.

That'd be a similar case to elements from P4A transferring over to BB:CP.

Squire

Banned

Glad to hear you're enjoying them! Karen is amazing. Super talented, really lovely. That might be everyone's favorite, honestly.

Dantis

I actually wonder what will happen with the EO series, especially if PQ sells more than it.

And I think it will do.

FluxWaveZ

I disagree, to a point, at least.

If PQ does well, I think EO will become lower priority.

How so? The games are made by different internal teams and there's a market for both Persona and Etrian Odyssey.

It's not as though the priority for other ASW games was reduced because Persona 4 Arena was more successful than BlazBlue and the same will go for the dancing game.

Sophia

If anything, Persona Q's success will inspire them to at least try some of the concepts applied to a new Etrian Odyssey game. Which is kind of what I was originally getting at.

Dantis

How so? The games are made by different internal teams and there's a market for both Persona and Etrian Odyssey.

It's not as though the priority for other ASW games was reduced because Persona 4 Arena was more successful than BlazBlue and the same will go for the dancing game.

First of all, Arena sold less than the first Blazblue, so why would that affect anything? Second of all, Arc aren't Atlus, they're not going to prioritize someone else's game over their own, they're going to say "How can we make our game as good as this?".

Second of all, Etrian Odyssey has never sold well, and Atlus is in the business of making money. If PQ sells better, using a very similar formula, do you really think that won't affect EO? Because I disagree. They clearly believe that EO can be a money maker, so if they see an opportunity to enable that, why would they not act upon it?

Also, PQ is by the Etrian Odyssey team, so what do you mean that they're separate? Are there two Etrian Odyssey teams or something? It's directed by Daisuke Kanada, who directed EO 1 and 4. I had assumed that pretty much the entire EO team would be focused on it.

Meia

I remember peeps saying there was no way in hell Arena 2 was ever being done when the new Blazblue was announced.

Ah memories. :p

Also, PQ is by the Etrian Odyssey team, so what do you mean that they're separate? Are there two Etrian Odyssey teams or something? It's directed by Daisuke Kanada, who directed EO 1 and 4. I had assumed that pretty much the entire EO team would be focused on it.

Did he develop the first one? I don't remember that.

Either way, I and IV were the only ones to come out in the EU, so I'm liking these odds.

Daimaou

I stand corrected, then.

I will say that something doesn't add up between those numbers. Fighting games don't strike me as games with particularly large tails, and with the state of the BlazBlue community it sure doesn't seem like that many people bought the game.

I'm also concerned that you're missing the point of the discussion. Arena's sales next to Blazblue's don't really mean anything anyway, like I said, because Arena isn't Arc's IP.

They've said they wanted it to succeed as much as their other franchises, but it'd be stupid for them to say otherwise. *shrugs*

Top Bottom