• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Marin Karin is more annoying because it means Mitsuru isn't attacking rather than she isn't healing. Yukari is better suited to healing anyway.

And the times you die P3 it will most likely not be a result of the party AI, but getting caught off-guard by a powerful enemy or running into some of the stupid-powerful Tartarus bosses that wreck you because you didn't have the foresight to have a persona with the right strengths/weaknesses.

And IMO P3FES is the way to go, the lack of an overworld environment and having the character portraits in the middle of the screen is just... wrong.

Marin Karin is more annoying because it means Mitsuru isn't attacking rather than she isn't healing. Yukari is better suited to healing anyway.

And the times you die P3 it will most likely not be a result of the party AI, but getting caught off-guard by a powerful enemy or running into some of the stupid-powerful Tartarus bosses that wreck you because you didn't have the foresight to have a persona with the right strengths/weaknesses.

And IMO P3FES is the way to go, the lack of an overworld environment and having the character portraits in the middle of the screen is just... wrong.

Absolutely this.

I'm all for P3FES as anyone's first P3 experience, just use tactics properly. The AI isn't that terrible. Most deaths because of AI are preventable though proper tactics and preparation anyways.

If all else fails, avoid all shadows, keep climbing floors till the next teleportation device, go to first floor, save, and do some grinding to compensate for any difficult floor or boss. There are definitely a few bosses that will catch you off guard, though after a few tries and recognizing attack patterns and employing some strategies you can overcome any of them.

FluxWaveZ

1099684-grace_chen_largcq1.jpg

Nachos

Guys, how did we get to eight pages already? The new topic just started up yesterday. It's okay; we can slow down the hype train a bit.

Great work as always, OP!

Unbelievable that OT3 only lasted a couple of months... So much Persona coming this year, but the wait for Persona 5 is unBEARable.
I'm sorry. I know you guys get that a lot. But this is my first post in a Persona OT, so go easy on me! :)
Welcome!

Do not forget the changes to One More! in P4. In P3 and P3FES, if you hit like 3 enemy's weaknesses, but hit one and its not weak or it is strong against the attack, you will NOT get a One More! It is much more punishing and it makes single spell skills like Agidyne almost prefered over Maragidyne in P3. P3FES just uses P4 rules. Spam Maragidyne all day everyday, as long as it hits ONE enemy's weakness, you WILL get a One More!
Really? I started with FES, but I remember the skills not behaving like P4's at all. It's why I ended up using more single-target skills.

I disagree, to a point, at least.

If PQ does well, I think EO will become lower priority.
I can't really see that at all. Etrian probably is currently Atlus' worst-selling franchise, but it's fine because the games are also the cheapest to produce. Q is clearly an effort to cross-pollinate the two fan bases, and I really can't see one eventually succeeding the other, at least for the moment. If a newcomer likes Q, they've got two separate franchises, both with plenty of games to play. What would a Q2 even entail? It's not like a fighting game where they can add characters, because they've already included everyone right out of the gate. The goofy adventures of P3 and P4 can only go on for so long before it gets old.

Guys, how did we get to eight pages already? The new topic just started up yesterday. It's okay; we can slow down the hype train a bit.

Welcome!

Really? I started with FES, but I remember the skills not behaving like P4's at all. It's why I ended up using more single-target skills.

Sorry, the 2nd P3FES was supposed to be P3P.

Dantis

I can't really see that at all. Etrian probably is currently Atlus' worst-selling franchise, but it's fine because the games are also the cheapest to produce. Q is clearly an effort to cross-pollinate the two fan bases, and I really can't see one eventually succeeding the other, at least for the moment. If a newcomer likes Q, they've got two separate franchises, both with plenty of games to play. What would a Q2 even entail? It's not like a fighting game where they can add characters, because they've already included everyone right out of the gate. The goofy adventures of P3 and P4 can only go on for so long before it gets old.

Yeah because Atlus only develops spinoffs with really great stories like dance battles against Shadows. They probably can't think of anything else as high quality as that, so they'll just develop one, make loads of money, and then quit.

That's completely plausible.

Nachos

Yeah because Atlus only develops spinoffs with really great stories like dance battles against Shadows. They probably can't think of anything else as high quality as that, so they'll just develop one, make loads of money, and then quit.

That's completely plausible.

It's an RPG, though. You can certainly take liberties with the story in genres that have less of an emphasis on them, but that limited degree of story isn't going to fly for something much more time intensive on the player's behalf. I can see additional games in the style coming out, just like with Arena 2, but Etrian games aren't going to stop being made so long as Atlus and Sega are done with small profits. If they're going to lust after that money more now, then fine, but the limited degree of required overhead makes the games quite profitable in relation to the amount of resources put in.

In short, you have a point, but you're also coming across as a dick.

Dantis

It's an RPG, though. You can certainly take liberties with the story in genres that have less of an emphasis on them, but that limited degree of story isn't going to fly for something much more time intensive on the player's behalf. I can see additional games in the style coming out, just like with Arena 2, but Etrian games aren't going to stop being made so long as Atlus and Sega are done with small profits. If they're going to lust after that money more now, then fine, but the limited degree of required overhead makes the games quite profitable in relation to the amount of resources put in.

In short, you have a point, but you're also coming across as a dick.

I apologise if I was too snarky and came across as a dick.

My point is that I don't think they're going to not put a project forwards on the basis of story, particularly with how far they've shown they're willing to stretch it.

Persona Q is in Famitsu this week. The advertisement says it's gonna introduce four characters and one animal, but I don't know if that means they're just rehashing the most recent character trailers and Koromaru or if they're gonna talk about the whoever's left and Koromaru. I don't even know who else is left at this point. Wait, there's like... eight people left, right? Six if we don't include Fuuka and Rise.

This post should not be mistaken for an all-inclusive list of Persona-related content in this week's Famitsu, only a summary of what they're advertising on the Famitsu website.

Dantis

Persona Q is in Famitsu this week. The advertisement says it's gonna introduce four characters and one animal, but I don't know if that means they're just rehashing the most recent character trailers and Koromaru or if they're gonna talk about the whoever's left and Koromaru. I don't even know who else is left at this point. Wait, there's like... eight people left, right? Six if we don't include Fuuka and Rise.

This post should not be mistaken for an all-inclusive list of Persona-related content in this week's Famitsu, only a summary of what they're advertising on the Famitsu website.

This got me thinking: I feel like Atlus are going about this in the wrong way. It feels to me like they're saying "Here's eeeeeverything Persona Q related!" and then they'll move on to Arena 2, then P4D and then P5.

The problem is that it gets fatiguing and would generate a lot more interest if they mixed it up. We've gotten used to the weekly character trailers now, and they've gotten uninteresting because of it. If they'd alternated it so that they only showed up once every three weeks or whatever, things like the new music and the little things like the Arena moves being in there would probably be a lot more interesting.

Just a thought.

kewlmyc

This got me thinking: I feel like Atlus are going about this in the wrong way. It feels to me like they're saying "Here's eeeeeverything Persona Q related!" and then they'll move on to Arena 2, then P4D and then P5.

The problem is that it gets fatiguing and would generate a lot more interest if they mixed it up. We've gotten used to the weekly character trailers now, and they've gotten uninteresting because of it. If they'd alternated it so that they only showed up once every three weeks or whatever, things like the new music and the little things like the Arena moves being in there would probably be a lot more interesting.

Just a thought.
I doubt they will. It's only January and the other three games don't even have release dates yet. Give it some time.

Acid08

Banned
The character videos are still interesting. I think your general attitude towards Q may be coloring your opinion of them :p

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I don't see a problem with how they're handling things. These games are going to be released at distinctively separate times in 2014. Showing a bunch of media for a game that won't come until far later just slightly diminishes the hype for a game in the long run for me, even though it makes me really excited short term.

The videos are mundane, but they're something.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Yes! Got the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy in P4G. With that pain in the ass out of the way it'll be a breeze to get the platinum now.

I think they'll start mixing it up once they finish reintroducing the cast, because right now it feels like the whole point of this is to help familiarize people with these characters who star in these projects.

xobbDCm.png

The Rock confirms that P5 will have a schedule system. It appears that it'll have time increments more similar to the Devil Survivor series than Persona game past, although I assume it'll also have a year long calender as well.

Acid08

Banned
Hmm? I don't dislike Q.

I think the presentation is a bit shonky, but that's all.
I didn't say you dislike it but you have said to me that you're also not super interested in it.

Personally I like the character videos, anything from these new games is appreciated.

Soriku

xobbDCm.png

The Rock confirms that P5 will have a schedule system. It appears that it'll have time increments more similar to the Devil Survivor series than Persona game past, although I assume it'll also have a year long calender as well.

Does he only get like 1 hour of sleep? Dayum. Those are gonna be some long days.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I did it on my first playthrough without a guide, haha.

Was your first Persona game right?

I imagine it would be much easier to get without knowing how all the ins and outs of the battle system work since you're not going to breeze through it all because of that.

CorvoSol

Was your first Persona game right?

I imagine it would be much easier to get without knowing how all the ins and outs of the battle system work since you're not going to breeze through it all because of that.

Yeah, it was my first Persona. All I had to go on besides that was SMT4, so I analyzed pretty much all the time.

Top Bottom