• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

^Yep its that one, Innocent Sin only came out on psp/vita here.

Noooooooooot a PSP game.

Very much a PS1 game.

Those menus... *shudder*

not what he was asking, and PERSONAlly, the menus of IS actually run slower than the ones in EP, the battle menu especially, and the older games had a superior map that you could zoom out far, which they removed for no reason from ISP.

FluxWaveZ

First of all, Arena sold less than the first Blazblue, so why would that affect anything? Second of all, Arc aren't Atlus, they're not going to prioritize someone else's game over their own, they're going to say "How can we make our game as good as this?".

Second of all, Etrian Odyssey has never sold well, and Atlus is in the business of making money. If PQ sells better, using a very similar formula, do you really think that won't affect EO? Because I disagree. They clearly believe that EO can be a money maker, so if they see an opportunity to enable that, why would they not act upon it?

Also, PQ is by the Etrian Odyssey team, so what do you mean that they're separate? Are there two Etrian Odyssey teams or something? It's directed by Daisuke Kanada, who directed EO 1 and 4. I had assumed that pretty much the entire EO team would be focused on it.

For the first point, you're comparing lifetime sales of multiple releases in a franchise compared to a single release, which is hardly a fair comparison. I'm pretty sure Persona 4 Arena sold more than the first release of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger based on what I saw from Media Create. Is that not the case?

For the second point, I think I'm confused on what you mean when you say "affect EO." You're being too nebulous; what exactly does that entail? Or are you just saying exactly what Sophia's been saying?

And when I talked about two separate teams, I was talking about the P-studio and the internal team responsible for the EO franchise. I mentioned the teams because I don't know what you're talking about when you say that PQ could affect the EO franchise.

Sophia

The article Dai linked puts Persona 4 Arena's initial sales higher then that of the first BlazBlue game's lifetime sales...

At least, for Japan.

Also higher than Continuum Shift's lifetime sales.

Dantis

For the second point, I think I'm confused on what you mean when you say "affect EO." You're being too nebulous; what exactly does that entail? Or are you just saying exactly what Sophia's been saying?

And when I talked about two separate teams, I was talking about the P-studio and the internal team responsible for the EO franchise. I mentioned the teams because I don't know what you're talking about when you say that PQ could affect the EO franchise.
What I'm saying specifically is that I think it's possible that Persona Q could be expanded to be a franchise, and placed above EO in terms of priority (Assuming PQ sells well). As it's being developed by the EO team, this would affect the rate at which EO games are developed.
I don't think EO will be scrapped, but I think they could definitely slow down how often they develop new ones in favour of PQ if the sales were significantly higher.

FluxWaveZ

What I'm saying specifically is that I think it's possible that Persona Q could be expanded to be a franchise, and placed above EO in terms of priority (Assuming PQ sells well). As it's being developed by the EO team, this would affect the rate at which EO games are developed.
I don't think EO will be scrapped, but I think they could definitely slow down how often they develop new ones in favour of PQ if the sales were significantly higher.

Oh, well then I think that's fairly evident. Persona 4 Arena was one of the fastest selling fighting games released in recent times and more successful than the individual releases of BlazBlue, which is why it's getting a sequel.

If PQ proves to be successful, it could get a sequel just like P4A did. P4D could get a sequel as well. What I was saying is that that would not mean EO would cease to exist to prioritize PQ development, just like how ASW continues to make other stuff in addition to P4A.

^I don't get why people say that, I played P4 and beat it and went back and gave P3 another chance in the form of P3FES and had absolutely no problems, you just have to adapt.

I thought that wasn't until next week? Hmm, should I get it even though I have P3P?

Well, P3FES has a whole epilogue mode called The Answer, which acts like a semi sequel for the normal campaign, which is called The Journey. I personally like it more than The Journey, but there is plenty there to turn you off from the game. One, for all of P3FES, you do not control your team mates directly, they do their own actions controlled by the ai, you can order their general tactics though, but not pick what they do specifically. Second, the mode itself, is locked onto Hard difficulty, no noobs allowed. Third. No Persona compendium, no social linking or non dungeon aspects, its dungeons all the time. If you can deal with all of this, its a good mode, if a little light on plot but still good. The plot there IS canon and P4A reflects this. If you do not want to play it, at least look up a playthrough of The Answer on youtube.

The opening video for P3FES is actually slightly spoilerish, but its a good showcase of "what you will be missing if you dont play P3FES."

Levito

Banned
So a friend of mine played through P3 recently and hated it. Had to endure 30 mins of ranting about silly stuff. I say it's silly because he liked the game until the Nyx avatar battle. He couldn't beat it, gave up and watched the endings on Youtube.

He's one of those types that hates everything about a game if it frustrates him, even for just a moment.

I've been catching up on S.Link FM over the last few weeks. I got to the Karen Strassman episode today and it is so good. It's kind of nice to listen to these and hear all the speculation and discussion knowing what we know now about the Index/Sega stuff and the reveals etc.

That's still the best Episode we've done, twas quite a night.

New one should be out tonight, all about the music of the series. Came out really well I think, quite proud of it.

Sophia

BBCT numbers: 57,796 + 36,065 = 93,861

BBCS numbers: 85,152 + 22,543 = 107,695

Combined total sales: 201,556 for Japan.

Even if we make the (very) generous assumptions that future installments sold similar (CP is not counted) and that worldwide sales were similar, I do not see how that 1.7 million figure is possible. At the absolute best it'd be 1.3 million. For the sake of debating, that number should probably be ignored. It's not even a useful number for comparing anyhow.

As was pointed out to me in chat by Dai, there's another inconsistency in those numbers too. They say that 800,000 were sold in the US, and 1.7 million worldwide. That implies that either Europe is completely insignificant, or that Japan's sales are actually less then the US sales.... If the later was true, then every decision regarding Chronophantasma and its lack of a localization would be completely illogical.

MSMrRound

I thought that wasn't until next week? Hmm, should I get it even though I have P3P?

If you are getting FES, be prepared for this:

marinfucingkarin_by_fandomparadise-d606buy.png
V

fertygo

FluxWaveZ

As was pointed out to me in chat by Dai, there's another inconsistency in those numbers too. They say that 800,000 were sold in the US, and 1.7 million worldwide. That implies that either Europe is completely insignificant, or that Japan's sales are actually less then the US sales.... If the later was true, then every decision regarding Chronophantasma and its lack of a localization would be completely illogical.

I checked ******** (oh cool, automatic censoring!) once and the NA sales were higher than the JPN ones, but that's hardly a reputable source of sales data. Still, it might also indicate that the regional discrepancy might not be far from the truth. And yeah, that would make the time between the JPN console release and the NA one a bit weird.

...BlazBlue. Not too into it. I prefer P4A and GG, whose newer iterations this year will probably be more successful than Chronophantasma, too.

Sophia

I checked ******** (oh cool, automatic censoring!) once and the NA sales were higher than the JPN ones, but that's hardly a reputable source of sales data. Still, it might also indicate that the regional discrepancy might not be far from the truth. And yeah, that would make the time between the JPN console release and the NA one a bit weird.

...BlazBlue. Not too into it. I prefer P4A and GG, whose newer iterations this year will probably be more successful than Chronophantasma, too.

Basically what I have concluded from this is that:
  • Opening Sales for P4A beat lifetime sales for any specific BlazBlue installment prior to Chronophantasia in Japan, at least.
  • Dantis's 1.7 million figure is weird and not relevant when comparing the sales against P4A's single entry.
  • Also we're missing US numbers for P4A, and in light of what you just said I'm curious as to how well it sold.
  • Also, fuck Aksys Games and ASW for not making Chronophantasma a simultaneous US/JP release. Seriously, what was the holdup there? :|

You know, I rarely have issues with Marin Karin in the course of normal gameplay. My bigger issue with FES is that you don't get all the tactics menu options until half way through, which makes the beginning a bit painful.

MSMrRound

You know, I rarely have issues with Marin Karin in the course of normal gameplay. My bigger issue with FES is that you don't get all the tactics menu options until half way through, which makes the beginning a bit painful.

That is true. My party was pretty much settled with Yukari set to heal, and the others set to knockdown (might change either Mitsuru or Ken [sigh, I don't want to use him, but he gets mediarama right from the start] to healing if my party is in a pinch)

What I liked about P3FES was that the MC can equip all the different weapon types that were available. He's kind of restricted to the one handed sword in P3P if I'm not wrong....

kiriin

and hey guys, kind of off topic...but wow, at yesterday's Taipei Game Show in Taiwan, Falcom actually announced that they are going to partner with SCE Asia to localize Sen No Kiseki and Sen No Kiseki II in Chinese and Korean.
My knowledge of Chinese is so going to pay off.

It was rumoured to happen. Not surprising after Zero/Ao took only a year to get chinese localization. But the series already has traction in SE Asia unlike the West. US am cry.

MSMrRound

Maybe if you completely ignore giving them commands. Never had trouble with the AI really.

Can't really give them (direct) commands. Can only set them to tactics and pray that they do what they are supposed to do. It's been a known thing that the AI for P3FES can be quite clumbersome e.g if Yukari is supposed to heal, she might probably go and spam that wind break =.=

Acid08

Banned
Can't really give them (direct) commands. Can only set them to tactics and pray that they do what they are supposed to do. It's been a known thing that the AI for P3FES can be quite clumbersome e.g if Yukari is supposed to heal, she might probably go and spam that wind break =.=
I've never had any complications with it *shrug* my tactics are always followed. Probably because I'm a fantastic leader tbh.

CorvoSol

Considering you complaining with the point and click and VN presentation that P3P had.. so maybe.
Be warned though, its tough to go back with AI-Party.

This is the tradeoff as I see it: P3P is portable and has controlled party, but looks crummy. P3FES looks great, but doesn't have controlled party. Apparently in P3P SLinks don't reverse, either? Also P3FES is console only, and I only have access to a console during the Summer

^I don't get why people say that, I played P4 and beat it and went back and gave P3 another chance in the form of P3FES and had absolutely no problems, you just have to adapt.

Well, P3FES has a whole epilogue mode called The Answer, which acts like a semi sequel for the normal campaign, which is called The Journey. I personally like it more than The Journey, but there is plenty there to turn you off from the game. One, for all of P3FES, you do not control your team mates directly, they do their own actions controlled by the ai, you can order their general tactics though, but not pick what they do specifically. Second, the mode itself, is locked onto Hard difficulty, no noobs allowed. Third. No Persona compendium, no social linking or non dungeon aspects, its dungeons all the time. If you can deal with all of this, its a good mode, if a little light on plot but still good. The plot there IS canon and P4A reflects this. If you do not want to play it, at least look up a playthrough of The Answer on youtube.

The opening video for P3FES is actually slightly spoilerish, but its a good showcase of "what you will be missing if you dont play P3FES."

I think what I'll do is pick up P3FES while it is cheap and just continue my P3P playthrough. That or switch to a FeMC playthrough of Portable and do a MaMc playthrough for FES.

V

I take it the AI can be unreliable at times?

Depressing waking up and realizing I have already beaten Persona 4. "Now what?"

Yeah, I'm just itching to pick up P4G and do a NG+.

YES. FES is the only way to first experience P3.

Maybe if you completely ignore giving them commands. Never had trouble with the AI really.

Hmmm, well I'll mull it over. Can I buy things from the PSN for PS3 from my computer?

Meia

You can pretty much give them direct commands if you know how to work with the AI.

Support - Any party member below ~50% will be healed. If no heal spell is known or health is ok, will Buff/Debuff. If also n/a, will attack, usually physically.

Knock Down - Will prioritize attacking an enemy's weakness(if navigator knows it, will immediately use it). When enemy is knocked down, will then move onto the next enemy. If character doesn't have elemental weakness of shadow, will try for a physical crit to knock down. If mob is immune to physical, will automatically pass turn. Character will also never attack any shadow currently on the ground, even passing a turn if needed.

Full Assault - Will only use strongest attacks.

Act Freely - Any party member below ~25% will be healed. Otherwise, will attack. If weakness is known and is applicable, will always use it, then usually repeat it to the same enemy further damaging it.

The thing with Mitsuru or anyone else always kicks in when the MC is above that health threshold, but the next attack from a shadow is strong enough to kill him anyway. Well, provided you aren't using Full Assault, which you really should never use anyway.

When you play FES, it's also important to keep in mind the difference in the battle system. In 4, they introduced the idea of "dizzy", where a character loses a turn. In FES it doesn't exist, it's what the "knocked down" status is. In other words, if you find yourself on your ass, you lose a turn, but if you knock a shadow down(say, just before it's turn), it'll have to waste it's turn getting back on it's feet. This is a great thing to exploit in some of the fights...

Depressing waking up and realizing I have already beaten Persona 4. "Now what?"

Play Persona 1, then 2, then 3 and come back to Persona 4. Rinse and repeat.

I'm playing Persona 1 right now. It's good the gameplay is pretty awesome. I get lost a bunch though, I'm not used to first person dungeon crawling games :/
I'm also juggling SMT IV at the same time, it' pretty awesome. I really would love to have it on my Vita, the 3DS gives me hand cramps if I play for too long.

Do not forget the changes to One More! in P4. In P3 and P3FES, if you hit like 3 enemy's weaknesses, but hit one and its not weak or it is strong against the attack, you will NOT get a One More! It is much more punishing and it makes single spell skills like Agidyne almost prefered over Maragidyne in P3. P3FES just uses P4 rules. Spam Maragidyne all day everyday, as long as it hits ONE enemy's weakness, you WILL get a One More!

Meia

*Cough* Thunder Reign+Reaper *Cough* Yea, played over a 100 hours. Eventually managed to discover some of the stuff for myself.

Most do, but a lot of people still think you don't have much control over the party from FES, which is incorrect.

The thing that angers me though is while the same commands are there in Persona 4, for the most part the AI "rules" were stripped to something incomprehensible, so I have no earthly idea why it behaves the way it does. Why you go from near perfection to "Pants on head retarded" in the newer game simply because you allow the player to input everything is beyond me.

Acid08

Banned
Most do, but a lot of people still think you don't have much control over the party from FES, which is incorrect.

The thing that angers me though is while the same commands are there in Persona 4, for the most part the AI "rules" were stripped to something incomprehensible, so I have no earthly idea why it behaves the way it does. Why you go from near perfection to "Pants on head retarded" in the newer game simply because you allow the player to input everything is beyond me.
It's because the P4 characters are total idiots who can't handle making their own decisions. It works thematically with the story, don't question it.

Venfayth

I have never used AI teammates. It only happens when I forget after acquiring them. If the AI is bad, they probably should have just removed it.

fertygo

Do not forget the changes to One More! in P4. In P3 and P3FES, if you hit like 3 enemy's weaknesses, but hit one and its not weak or it is strong against the attack, you will NOT get a One More! It is much more punishing and it makes single spell skills like Agidyne almost prefered over Maragidyne in P3. P3FES just uses P4 rules. Spam Maragidyne all day everyday, as long as it hits ONE enemy's weakness, you WILL get a One More!

That sound pretty dumb tbh, I think even the team would consider that as design mistake.
This is the tradeoff as I see it: P3P is portable and has controlled party, but looks crummy. P3FES looks great, but doesn't have controlled party. Apparently in P3P SLinks don't reverse, either? Also P3FES is console only, and I only have access to a console during the Summer
There's reverse in P3P male route, just like FES.

Meia

That sound pretty dumb tbh, I think even the team would consider that as design mistake.

Considering the old Persona 3 system works pretty closely to how it worked in SMT 4, I highly doubt it was a mistake. I actually prefer the system, as it encourages more thought into your actions. In 4, just using a blanket AoE attack knowing one of the shadows would absorb or null it and not caring is kind of silly, and really puts down the importance of the single target version of the spells as well.

fertygo

Considering the old Persona 3 system works pretty closely to how it worked in SMT 4, I highly doubt it was a mistake. I actually prefer the system, as it encourages more thought into your actions. In 4, just using a blanket AoE attack knowing one of the shadows would absorb or null it and not caring is kind of silly, and really puts down the importance of the single target version of the spells as well.

Really?
I don't remember that in Nocturne/DDS

But absorb/null does overturn weakness IIRC, so you won't get press turn if the condition is 1 weak + 1 null. But you get the extra if say.. you cast maragi and hit weakness one of enemy with neutral company.

King Fost

Neo Member
In Press Turn, weakness has the lowest priority; that is to say if you hit a weakness of one enemy but another one dodges the attack, you lose 2 turn icons. Same if the enemy nulls it/absorbs/repels it (though in the latter two cases, you just lose all of them).

PK Gaming

The game probably wasn't built around having the AI control your party members, so they didn't bother extensive programming it like they did with P3.

Top Bottom