• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

I thought the same, until I saw a particular scene that I'm not sure I should discus with you since it involves spoilers and I don't know how far in you are.
Well, we'll see. Summer break just started.

I've been drawing Shadows nonstop for hours today (save for the monkey break). I feel I should stop now but it's too fun. Plus I finally came up with an excuse to draw a dinosaur.

koutoru

Ken Amada would actually be in the perfect age group for Persona 5.
He would be about 15-16 years old (assuming Persona 5 starts right after P4A2).

Sophia

As I've said before. It will probably reuse the same reoccurring continuity that's been present in almost every game so far. Meaning more Philemon, more Igor, more Nyarly, and possibly the Shadow Operatives or Kirjio group, but no direct character reappearances and the plot won't require you to play any of the previous games at all.

koutoru

As I've said before. It will probably reuse the same reoccurring continuity that's been present in almost every game so far. Meaning more Philemon, more Igor, more Nyarly, and possibly the Shadow Operatives or Kirjio group, but no direct character reappearances and the plot won't require you to play any of the previous games at all.
I wouldn't count out direct character reappearances. They've happened before in Persona.

Lunar15

Actually, I have a feeling it's going to use less of those elements as it goes forward. I think Persona team has dropped the concept of Philemon almost entirely, Igor is on the way out, and Nyarly is totally out of the picture. Shadow Ops and Kirijo don't seem like stuff they'll carry over either.

Sophia

I wouldn't count out direct character reappearances. They've happened before in Persona.

True, but if they do have appearances from other other games, I imagine they'll either be neglected to cameo references (Persona 4 style) or they'll simply be reintroduced entirely (Persona 2 style) to avoid requiring the player to play previous games. Hashino seems to be keen on having something anyone can pick up and enjoy, so there definitely won't be too many major players in Persona 5.

If anything, I'd think someone like Mitsuru would be easy to reintroduce as a supporting character, like how Ikutsuki or Takeharu was in Persona 3.

Actually, I have a feeling it's going to use less of those elements as it goes forward. I think Persona team has dropped the concept of Philemon almost entirely, Igor is on the way out, and Nyarly is totally out of the picture. Shadow Ops and Kirijo don't seem like stuff they'll carry over either.

Igor and the Velvet Room are far too iconic among the Japanese fans to drop; and the Kirijo Group itself is already basically a carry over of the Nanjo Group from Persona 1/2.

Also, Introducing the Shadow Operatives to the grand story and not making use of them in some way would be silly.

Acid08

Banned

Chihiro is the only one, right
? I don't count
Yukiko in P3P
because it's added content to a re-release.

Don't think we'll see any major cameos from main characters from 3 or 4 in 5. Maybe Rise on a TV in the background or something.

FluxWaveZ

Actually, I have a feeling it's going to use less of those elements as it goes forward. I think Persona team has dropped the concept of Philemon almost entirely, Igor is on the way out, and Nyarly is totally out of the picture.

I could see that, but it's not as though the Velvet Room will ever be abolished. One would think that would have to be a constant.

Acid08

Banned

What reason do you have for thinking Igor is on the way out?

Lunar15

Moreso the fact that they haven't recorded any new dialogue for him since his voice actor died. I don't think they WANT to write Igor out, he's the single most consistent element across all of the games. But given that it seems like they're unwilling to replace his character so far, I just think that he has at least some chance of being cut entirely and replaced with some other velvet room attendant.

I hope not though. Hopefully they can find a way to respectfully replace him and keep the character in the games since he's so iconic. Perhaps they just didn't want to make it sound weird to have two different voice actors in the same game, so they're waiting till P5 to introduce a new one.

Igor and the Velvet Room are far too iconic among the Japanese fans to drop; and the Kirijo Group itself is already basically a carry over of the Nanjo Group from Persona 1/2.

Also, Introducing the Shadow Operatives to the grand story and not making use of them in some way would be silly.

Velvet room will most likely stick around, it's just Igor that I think might be written out. Kirijo Group is so definitively a P3 thing, and Shadow Ops were introduced in a fighting game spinoff series. I think the fact that P4 stepped away from nearly all of that is a good indication that Hashino's team wants mainline games to be separate, insular stories. Even P3 ignored most elements of 1 and 2, dropping the Philemon vs. Nyarly element entirely. I think Hashino's team wants to focus on other things. It's a guess, but I just don't see his team as one that retains a lot of elements. Bringing back Kijiro and creating the Shadow Ops were more a plot contrivance to have P3 characters show up in Arena.

FluxWaveZ

There's no indication that he won't be a presence in Persona 5, but ever since his voice actor passed away:

- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 anime + relegated in favor of Margaret.
- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 Arena + relegated in favor of Margaret.
- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 Golden + relegated in favor of Margaret and Marie.

He hasn't had any new lines for a long while and, concerning the Velvet Room dynamic, he's been pushed aside in favor of the other residents recently.

koutoru

Chihiro is the only one, right
? I don't count
Yukiko in P3P
because it's added content to a re-release.

Don't think we'll see any major cameos from main characters from 3 or 4 in 5. Maybe Rise on a TV in the background or something.
Crossovers have been happening since Persona 1.

I don't want to get to specific but:
SMT IF... Characters -> Persona 1
Persona 1 Characters -> Persona 2
Even
Trish
makes a cameo from Persona 2 -> Persona 3
And as you mentioned there is
Chihiro
from Persona 3 -> Persona 4.

Acid08

Banned
The VA died, Japan apparently has a thing against replacing VAs, and they've only been using recycled voice clips since then.

Moreso the fact that they haven't recorded any new dialogue for him since his voice actor died. I don't think they WANT to write Igor out, he's the single most consistent element across all of the games. But given that it seems like they're unwilling to replace his character so far, I just think that he has at least some chance of being cut entirely and replaced with some other velvet room attendant.

I hope not though. Hopefully they can find a way to respectfully replace him and keep the character in the games since he's so iconic.

Velvet room will most likely stick around, it's just Igor that I think might be written out. Kirijo Group is so definitively a P3 thing, and Shadow Ops were introduced in a fighting game spinoff series. I think the fact that P4 stepped away from nearly all of that is a good indication that Hashino's team wants mainline games to be separate, insular stories. Even P3 ignored most elements of 1 and 2, dropping the Philemon vs. Nyarly element entirely. I think Hashino's team wants to focus on other things. It's a guess, but I just don't see his team as one that retains a lot of elements. Bringing back Kijiro and creating the Shadow Ops were more a plot contrivance to have P3 characters show up in Arena.

There's no indication that he won't be a presence in Persona 5, but ever since his voice actor passed away:

- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 anime + relegated in favor of Margaret.
- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 Arena + relegated in favor of Margaret.
- Reuse of old VO in Persona 4 Golden + relegated in favor of Margaret and Marie.

He hasn't had any new lines for a long while and, concerning the Velvet Room dynamic, he's been pushed aside in favor of the other residents recently.

That's interesting. Would be kinda shitty if he isn't in the games anymore. It's weirdly comforting that I still go fuse with Igor in P1P :p

Agreed

Although Some people in here might argue that the introduction of shadow operatives at all was silly, and their continued use detrimental to the series, I think It would be far more dumb to introduce a world-building concept like that and have it just sit there.

Overall, I'm against direct cameos and returning party members for mainline games, but realistically Atlus won't be able to resist throwing either a P4 or Shadow Ops reference in there somewhere

pan-hime

Tanaka just put in more info about the Persona 3 Movie's BD/DVD release:
bv4gTDF.png

• It's a Director's Cut (7 minutes of extra footage)
  • There's a JikaNet Tanaka Special Offer version of the BD/DVD. Includes a cool pocket watch:
my0ok75.png

and Tanaka stickers
Pe2QHAd.png
all for the low price of ¥9720 (95USD) for the blu-ray release and ¥8640 (85USD) for the DVD release.

Agreed

Although Some people in here might argue that the introduction of shadow operatives at all was silly, and their continued use detrimental to the series, I think It would be far more dumb to introduce a world-building concept like that and have it just sit there.

Overall, I'm against direct cameos and returning party members for mainline games, but realistically Atlus won't be able to resist throwing either a P4 or Shadow Ops reference in there somewhere

I would rather the Shadow Ops stuff stay relegated to the P3/P4 psuedo-offshoot games, personally. Keep making Persona Q-style games and more P4 Arenas if they want to mess with those characters post-P4/P3 and whatever they're up to. It might just be because the story was told through a fighting game, but P4A always felt way too fan fiction-y to me.

P4 had nods to P3, but it was in a way that simply acknowledged that the two plots existed in the same universe, while not trying to weave them together in anyway. Something like the P5 characters being on a roadtrip or something and staying at the Amagi Inn and seeing Yukiko would be neat, but I would probably roll my eyes a little too hard if it's like "oh yeah, turns out there's a big team dedicated to hunting down shadows and dealing with persona stuff."

Part of the charm, I think, in P3 and P4 is that you're a hodgepodge of schoolkids who have no one but yourselves to figure out the mysteries of what's going on, and overcome any challenges you come across. I can't help but feel that any sort of introduction of Shadows Ops into Persona 5 would negatively impact that. The Shadow Operatives would be too powerful/helpful in comparison to the (presumably) fresh faces who discover their persona abilities for the first time early in the game.

I fear we would end up with a villian/threat which is either weak compared to the Shadow Operatives, making us go "Oh, come on. You've already defeated the equivalents of gods and figured out crazy mysteries, but you can't sort this out?", or something so crazy powerful that it can't be thwarted by the combined expertise of the P3/P4 cast, and the idea of our P5 cast contributing to its demise in a meaningful way ends up seeming absurd.

Gazoinks

Finally beat (P4)
Shadow MItsuo
. Black Frost definitely made it easier, but it was still a pain. Thematically cool, but annoying. But now onwards to good times!

CorvoSol

Finally beat (P4)
Shadow MItsuo
. Black Frost definitely made it easier, but it was still a pain. Thematically cool, but annoying. But now onwards to good times!

The most satisfying thing about NG+ so far has been beating the living crap out of that boss with Izanagi.

Guys, I just want to say that I LOVE MARIE!

OH MARIE!!! <3

This playthrough I've tried to loosen up toward her. She'll never really be a favorite of mine, and I'll never really think her inclusion was done quite right, but I can at least move from "I HATE HER SO MUCH" to "Yeah okay."

Gazoinks

Guys, I just want to say that I LOVE MARIE!

OH MARIE!!! <3

Quick! Run! Hide!

:p

From what I've done of Marie's S.Link I definitely agree with the "decent character poor implementation thing". Should've made her a party member, because it's really stupid how everyone just randomly wanders into her scenes. Also, the poems. I don't even mind the poems themselves, but I juuust want to fuuuuuuse.

e: I have to say, P4
really did a nice job with Mitsuo's characterization. I'm paying more attention to it this time. The way Void Quest shows it as an RPG was really cool "Coolness increased by 2! Emptiness increased by 8!", and he ends up strangely sympathetic by the end while still being creepy, contemptible and pathetic.

"At least Adachi was happy."

ajim

T

This playthrough I've tried to loosen up toward her. She'll never really be a favorite of mine, and I'll never really think her inclusion was done quite right, but I can at least move from "I HATE HER SO MUCH" to "Yeah okay."

Really? She instantly became my favourite female character, easily trumping Yukiko and Rise! Especially with the perfect ending. Oh lord <3

I LOVE HER!

CaButler50ad8afbeaedc.jpg

But, having said that... I really, really like Naoto too.

kiriin

Really? She instantly became my favourite female character, easily trumping Yukiko and Rise! Especially with the perfect ending. Oh lord <3

I LOVE HER!

Can't tell if your being facetious or not.

But prepare be her only defense force here.

ajim

Can't tell if your being facetious or not.

But prepare be her only defense force here.

Really? Shes not that liked around here?

Even when I maxed out her S.Link I still opted to spend time with her, watching the same annoying cutscene over and over again at Junes.
The perfect ending just sealed the deal for me as best female character.

I have a strong preference for that short hair look and bitchy attitude I think. It's endearing in its own way.

Just finished listening to Episode 25: Steppin’ Up to the Amagi Challenge with Amanda Winn Lee.

My love for Rei Ayanami has grown stronger.

Really? Shes not that liked around here?

Even when I maxed out her S.Link I still opted to spend time with her, watching the same annoying cutscene over and over again at Junes.
The perfect ending just sealed the deal for me as best female character.

I have a strong preference for that short hair look and bitchy attitude I think. It's endearing in its own way.

Yea she is rather unpopular and seen as an intrusive, shoe horned character they added to the rerelease on Vita, she was not in the original game.

I may not think shes amazing or even that great, but she gets a ton of undeserved hate. she a good character, misused imo, in some bad ways, but in the end she was fine enough.

Here have some art:

SKixi.png

Gazoinks

Yea she is rather unpopular and seen as an intrusive, shoe horned character they added to the rerelease on Vita, she was not in the original game.

I may not thing shes amazing or even that great, but shes a good character, misused imo.

Here have some art:

SKixi.png

Yeah, my main issues with Marie so far are how she's kind of wedged awkwardly into the game, not so much with the character itself. Marie herself is a fine, if slightly cliche, character. Coulddowithoutthefasttalkingthoughyoustupidjerk.

ajim

Yeah, my main issues with Marie so far are how she's kind of wedged awkwardly into the game, not so much with the character itself. Marie herself is a fine, if slightly cliche, character. Coulddowithoutthefasttalkingthoughyoustupidjerk.

I dunno, I never played P4 until P4G, so she didn't seem that shoe-horned in to me. What I really liked was the mystique around her, her lost memory, her poems, and her closed-off but inquisitive personality.

And it all just came together even better in the end, plus I liked how the rest of the gang really got her involved despite not knowing a damn thing about her, and totally misinterpreting her naive answers/questions.

I dunno.

Plus, she's gorgeous. Oh. <3

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
This thread took a dark turn. Better write some shitty poetry about it.

Persona 4
Waifus, waifus, waifus
Waifus everywhere
Everywhere waifus
Everyone is good
Nobody is good
One is best
But none of the rest
This one doesn't eat meat
Like Chie
This one isn't a Yamato bijin
Like Yukiko
This one can't sing for shit
Like Rise
This one isn't a young detective
Like Naoto
Too many waifus
Too much hate
Too few husbandos
Too little love
I want to live
I want to be
But nobody wants me
To be me
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF

Persona 4
Waifus, waifus, waifus
Waifus everywhere
Everywhere waifus
Everyone is good
Nobody is good
One is best
But none of the rest
Like Chie
Like Yukiko
Like Rise
Like Naoto
Too many waifus
Too much hate
Too few husbandos
Too little love
I want to live
I want to be
But nobody wants me
To be me
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF

10/10, would drop on Velvet Room floor/act tsuntsun over again

Acid08

Banned
Just want to take a quick second to remind everyone

Hey, you! How long are you going to wear that ugly mask? You know you ain't got the guts for this task.

Cover yourself with paint You're actin' like you aint' Afraid of whatcha got in store for your fate

You think you got me? Well, that's too bad! 'Cuz I ain't stupid enough to get had!

So drop the pathetic act I wanna dance and that's a fact Now quit your gawkin' and start to react!

YEAH-YEAH! Now DANCE!

fuck

ajim

Just want to take a quick second to remind everyone

fuck

SO GOOD!

I loved that one, it was just what I'd expect coming from her pretty little face <3.

Persona 4
Waifus, waifus, waifus
Waifus everywhere
Everywhere waifus
Everyone is good
Nobody is good
One is best
But none of the rest
Like Chie
Like Yukiko
Like Rise
Like Naoto
Too many waifus
Too much hate
Too few husbandos
Too little love
I want to live
I want to be
But nobody wants me
To be me
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF
PersonaGAF
Awesome.

Which version of P3? This is important.

I wanted to say she does things three me, but...well I said it then so HAH.

P3FES on PSN

If you mean console P3, those "things" may turn to salt soon enough due to AI I'm sure :p

the dreaded two words: "marin karin"

I'm really not into the authoritarian cold beautiful girl, I usually joke about it with my friend being crazy about Lightning or Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell). I'm more a Chie/Rise type haha.

going back to play now

Persona 4
Waifus, waifus, waifus
Waifus everywhere
Everywhere waifus
Everyone is good
Nobody is good
One is best
But none of the rest
Like Chie