• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Gazoinks

I finished P4's let's play before watching the anime, so I guess I was expecting everything except for how the ending was handled. Besides, a let's play is almost the same as playing the game right?

I'd post that Michael Scott no gif but I don't really feel like searching it.

So

No.

:p

CorvoSol

Okay I know P4: The Animation had weird animation sometimes, but this takes the steak bowl.
eD713T3.png

So I've been trying to figure out: are the anime scenes in Persona 4 done by the same people who did the anime? Because it looks equally bad, but I just don't know if its all the same.

Like Rise's face during the confrontation with
Ameno-Sagiri
is SO BAD.

Also, it's funny that it's the same guy doing Adachi in the anime as in the game, cuz he's so much squeakier in the anime.

PK Gaming

Looking through Catherines model files. I didn't know they had a specific little cameos for stuff even the beer in it.

ss2014-02-05at02.54.2h7yhf.jpg
Excellent find!
Rolling with the
four person party
in P1P feels wrong right now.
Poor Maki :/
Wow, you've got this game on lock

I remember struggling during that point

Just fused Yu Narukami in P1P. Let's finish this TONIGHT.

Ahaha, he is literally the best Persona you can get at that point in the game. So freaking strong!

PK Gaming

Haha aren't we lucky

Apparently, the name "Yu Narukami" was chosen based on the luck of the draw. Quiet Thunder God... I can't think of a more fitting name.

cj_iwakura

Great Kaz interview:
http://dijeh.tumblr.com/post/76052030250/devil-summoner-interview-i-was-bored-so-here-you
Devil Summoner interview! I was bored so here you go, another interview with Kaneko about some Devil Summoner design details, favourite girls and Lucifer and gyudon.

Born on the 20th of September in Showa 39, Kazuma Kaneko was in charge of both the world setting and character design for Megami Tensei 2 and Shin Megami Tensei and coordinated to a certain extent Majin Tensei and Last Bible. This time, together with an even stronger staff, his position for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner was closer to that of director and he will talk about the usual objective, “creating characters that everyone will remember”.

Q: How did you become in charge of the graphics for the Megaten series?
A: Truth is, I was a fan of the Famicom version of Megami Tensei. It was published by Namco, so when I entered Atlus and heard they were the actual creators, I thought “Lucky~”. Anyway, if I’m going to make graphics, then I want them to be for the Megaten series I love. I became part of the creative team since Megami Tensei 2.

Q: Which are your favourite male and female characters so far?
A: Working on “Summoner” made Rei Reiho my favourite. I can’t get enough of her “playing dumb” moments. Even if her partner’s inside changes, she won’t notice that at all (laughs). The second one is SMT2’s Beth. As I was drawing her, I thought “Huh, she’s reaaally beautiful”. Her setup is great. A woman that exists for your sake. She’s beautiful, but at the same time she brings that sorrow of a brain-washed robot. I’m really attached to her.

Q: I see. I also heard that “if…“‘s female protagonist was among your favourites.
A: Oh! Her image is based on Uchida Yuki. She’s my third favourite.

Q: How about “Devil Summoner”?
A: Probably Kisaragi Marie (laughs). At first, I proposed that her name be Oda Meiko, from the movie “Ghost“‘s fortune teller, Oda Mae…Since I kept calling her that, the staff gathered signatures and asked me to stop. Made me feel a little lonely (laughs).

Q: Your favourite male characters?
A: I’m not too attached to male characters (laughs). As expected, I like drawing female characters better.

Q: And demons?
A: I can’t choose, it’s hard. I’ve drawn too many (laughs).

Q: What do you think about Lucifer?
A: He’s a character I think highly of rather than have him among my favourites. To me, Lucifer hasn’t achieved his perfect form yet. He actually has 12 wings, but in the games he’s only appeared with 6.

Q: Then the next time he appears, he’ll receive a bigger “upgrade”. Speaking of which, he’s also appeared under a human form.
A: Yes, Louis Cypher, wearing European-style suits with a silken pocket square on his chest. This is just my imagination but, after eating gyudon or so, he’d probably go “Phoaa”, take it out and wipe his mouth, then say “Mn, thank you for the meal” (laughs). I wonder, is this some kind of attachment?

Q: What are your favourite art materials?
A: I’m using a MAC and now that I’ve finally learnt about extraction, I’m not wasting too much time anymore. For the recent Shin Megami Tensei 2 Demon Encyclopedia, I used Too’s Copic, since there were a lot of models in a short amount of time. I use Liquitex for game covers .

Q: What kind of music do you listen to during work?
A: Eh, the type of music you hear in clubs. House. By the way, I don’t listen to hard rock at all. During the time of SMT2, I wanted a “metal” feel, so leather was the main style, but in the end that was only their fashion sense.

Q: Is Kuzunoha Kyouji’s appearance inspired by Lupin the Third?
A: It’s one of the inspirations, yes. In my mind, Kyouji’s appearance was a mix of the first animated Lupin the Third, the TV version of “Detective Story”, “Ace Ventura Pet Detective” and the "Rock ‘n’ Roll Detective" from “The Adventures of Ford Fairlane”.

Q: Have you been told you resemble Lupin yourself?
A: I’m aware of that myself (laughs). Manga characters have the same appearance all year round and it makes me think they’re probably very particular about their garments. So if you open the dresser, won’t lines of identical clothes pop out? I can’t actually do that, but I’m aiming for that sort of image (laughs).

Q: How do you see “Devil Summoner”?
A: It’s got a “Megaten Detective” image to me. The content is silly and hard-boiled…I guess (laughs)? Visually-wise, I thought I’d hint at those “hard-boiled” characteristics. That’s why I gave Rei Reiho a rokumonsen choker. Rokumonsen is the fee needed to pass the Sanzu River; in other words, she is always ready to die. Well, she’s got this cool setup, but on the other hand she is also wearing that weird red hairband. Let’s call it a symbol of that “silliness” (laughs).

Q: About the arm terminal…The Megaten world has got an unexpectedly technologically advanced society and yet the hardware and the monitor are linked through a cable. Why?
A: That is in order to avoid electronic jamming. Having a cable will reduce the risks of getting hacked. Apparently PHS and microwaves are bad for the brain…but oh weeell, I didn’t really think about it (laughs).

Q: Why do they always differ?
A: For the simple reason that having the same model over and over again would be boring. Devil Summoner’s concept is “Megaten Detective”, so I designed it to resemble a gun. It looks like it will transform once you pull the trigger and like that it will do the dirty job (laughs). When you finish, it’s supposed to return to its original form with only one move of the wrist but…it doesn’t look possible (laughs).

Q: Just a trivial question, but why is the monitor of “if…“‘s female protagonist set as goggles, while the male protagonist’s is just one lens?
A: Ooh, you see, that’s because there are a lot of girls who put their glasses on top of their heads. I simply gave the girl protagonist goggles because I thought it looked cute (laughs). Giving them to the male protagonist as well would have been boring, so I only made one version…oh no, if I think about it, I really treat male characters lightly, don’t I (laughs).

Q: For the last question, ideas for the series’ future. There have been “Megaten School” and “Megaten Detective”, so what will the next one be? “Megaten Baseball Team”…?
A: …ooh! I feel like it’s already been done (laughs). “Astro Baseball Team” was nice! I want to do something related to sports too (laughs). Well, the concept for every new game is based on what the staff is into at the moment, so I don’t know how things are going to evolve (laughs).

OH SWEET JESUS
It that neck that actually making it worse.
So I've been trying to figure out: are the anime scenes in Persona 4 done by the same people who did the anime? Because it looks equally bad, but I just don't know if its all the same.

Also, it's funny that it's the same guy doing Adachi in the anime as in the game, cuz he's so much squeakier in the anime.
No, the animated scene in PS2 Persona 4 were done by A-1 Pictures(SAO, Black Butler, among other shows) and Studio Hiibari (Danganronpa: The Animation(although this was done under a subsidiary of theirs)).
While P4G had the opening done by Madhouse(Death Note, Hellsing, and Black Lagoon) though I don't know if they did the new cut scenes or not.
The Animation was done by AIC(Anime International Company)(Bubblegum Crisis).

Well Adachi and Yu are played by the same person in English, by Johnny Young Bosch. Which is kinda funny when you think about it.
Since he played Adam Park on Power Rangers and Lelouch Lamperouge on Code Geass

koutoru

Well Adachi and Yu are played by the same person in English, by Johnny Young Bosch. Which is kinda funny when you think about it.
Since he played Adam Park on Power Rangers and Lelouch Lamperouge on Code Geass
Johnny Young Bosch and Laura Bailey are pretty much the default voice actors when it comes to protagonists.

Gazoinks

(P4)
"I'm good at staying home alone! I never open the door for strangers!" aaagh foreshadowing I'm almost at the depressing part of the game. D:

CorvoSol

(P4)
"I'm good at staying home alone! I never open the door for strangers!" aaagh foreshadowing I'm almost at the depressing part of the game. D:

I think the anime handled it pretty well by taking a full episode out to do both of their Social Links, too, first. Just to really punch you in the nuts when it all comes time.

PK Gaming

Well, she and Labrys have breast jiggle in Arena because of course, so basically the sky's the limit in terms of how we depict her chest these days.

image.php

You wouldn't be talking about Aigis's crouching animation by any chance? It looks like her boobs are jiggling, but it's actually just the shadow on her chest moving up and down.

I'm pretty sure the only character with boob jiggle physics in arena is Mitsuru.

At least I hope so

Gazoinks

As good as the November bits of P4 are, it annoys me that it all starts because Yu is holding the idiot ball at the time.
JESUS DUDE JUST STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV THERE IS ONE RIGHT THERE.

CorvoSol

Oh don't worry. The question of why they have breasts that jiggle is never answered thankfully. :p

Oh, no, sorry that's not what I meant.

"What the fuck are Aigis and Labrys?" is the question I have. I mean P4 doesn't exactly sound like robot girls are common knowledge, so I have to get into P3 so I can figure out what's going on. Now that I've sated my thirst for P4, it's time I get back into P3.

Sophia

Oh, no, sorry that's not what I meant.

"What the fuck are Aigis and Labrys?" is the question I have. I mean P4 doesn't exactly sound like robot girls are common knowledge, so I have to get into P3 so I can figure out what's going on. Now that I've sated my thirst for P4, it's time I get back into P3.

^That is more "Answered" in P4A tbh.

Yeah, Buddha's right. Mainline P3 doesn't go into too much detail about the Anti-Shadow Weapons. Persona 4 Arena and the Persona 3 Drama CDs are what contain the details about this.

I don't think that was the intention, but it's cool how we got a pun to ourselves.

I can confirm this- There's a bit in the Japanese Commentary for the anime that basically boils down to "So we picked a name at random, and when we ran it past the fans some people were like "Oh so Yu is like "You" and Narukami is like Izanagi's Zio attacks" And so we were like 'Sure we totally did that on purpose' "

It's very important

Ignoring the fact robot boobs don't jiggle, it's pretty skeezy of arcys to do that in general

I have faith in them though, they would never...

pretty common thing to do in fighting games bro..exceedingly common in fact, and this is ARCSYS, the makers of Makoto Nanaya and Dizzy and shit. I don't have faith in them, yet, I don't really care at all.

PK Gaming

pretty common thing to do in fighting games bro..exceedingly common in fact, and this is ARCSYS, the makers of Makoto Nanaya and Dizzy and shit. I don't have faith in them, yet, I don't really care at all.

They seem to limit boob jiggling to a few characters though, and they've never given them to robots.

(I can't believe i'm having this discussion, aaaaaaaahhhh)

Top Bottom