• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

CorvoSol

Yes, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. EP is a direct sequel to IS.

Get this, we never got the PS1 version of Innocent Sin in the US, but we got the PSP one.

We got the PS1 version of Eternal Punishment, but not the PSP one.

The PS1 Version of Eternal Punishment is mostly fine, but it has bad translations of some things from Persona 1, meaning our badly translated PS1 version, Revelations: Persona. Instead of Maki you get Mary, instead of Kei you get Nate, instead of Mikage Cho, you get Lunarville.

Well. This is going to take awhile, I guess.

Also, I may have been wrong about Kenji. He's still sorta insensitive and an idiot, but if what Clara (My FeMC name) says is true, sounds like he's being taken advantage of in this relationship he has going on with Ms. Inoue.

Of course, why he needs to date a teacher when he attends a Private School of beautiful girls who are not Hanako I don't know.

At least it's an adorable abomination. :p You have to admit it's kind of charming in its wackiness.

Shit is racist, why does the black guy have to dance.

55412.jpg

But I suppose there is something charming about the audacity the localization team had trying to make it palatable to the west.

Part of me will never get over the fact that my favorite version of Persona and one of my favorite games of all time was just shunned like that RIGHT before we got a port of EVERY SINGLE Persona title on the Sony Handhelds. I will never get over that. On the other hand, beggars cant be choosers, and you can still have a version of every Persona game (RPG at least) on the Vita!

This was a triumph...but only a hollow, empty triumph...

Man, I feel for you. Must be maddening.

I really wish they put out the PSP version of EP just for the sake of consistency. Too bad the PSP was dead in the west by the time it was announced.

Edit: Wait, I'm confused. Which is your favorite version of Persona? The PS1 localization or PSP version.

Gazoinks

55412.jpg

But I suppose there is something charming about the audacity the localization team had trying to make it palatable to the west.

This is like the third time I've posted this, buuuuuut :p
gbohaR0.jpg

Yeah, Mark being made black was probably the most obvious and weirdest change. But yeah, I just find it sort of cute exactly how bizarrely mangled the whole thing came out, and since we have a proper translation now I can kind of appreciate it as an artifact.

55412.jpg

Man, I feel for you. Must be maddening.

I really wish they put out the PSP version of EP just for the sake of consistency. Too bad the PSP was dead in the west by the time it was announced.

forumdisplay.php

Edit: Wait, I'm confused. Which is your favorite version of Persona? The PS1 localization or PSP version.

Just Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, but the PSP version is the perfect version of it, and I would say, the best Persona portable port except for P4G IMO, unlike P1, P2IS and P3P, they got everything right, they didn't fuck with the original's balance or anything and the stuff they added is all just awesome..... ;_;

gbohaR0.jpg

Yeah, Mark being made black was probably the most obvious and weirdest change. But yeah, I just find it sort of cute exactly how bizarrely mangled the whole thing came out, and since we have a proper translation now I can kind of appreciate it as an artifact.

You're right, it makes for an interesting... ahem... mark on the Persona franchises' history. So I'll give it that. Though I prefer games to be as close to the source material as possible.

Just Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, but the PSP version is the perfect version of it, and I would say, the best Persona portable port except for P4G IMO, unlike P1, P2IS and P3P, they got everything right, they didn't fuck with the original's balance or anything and the stuff they added is all just awesome..... ;_;

That only make's it more tragic. I mean they put out dumb Final Fantasy III on the PSP digital download only. Why not put out the PSP version of P2EP as download only at the very least.

Squire

Banned
Speaking of ages, today is my birthday!

Not being a teenager anymore and studying at a college, it doesn't get more mature than this. Persona 5 is nothing compared to me!

Anyway that letter from Hashino really solidifies why Atlus is one of my favorite developers. Not many people could write something like that and make me believe it.

Happy birthday!

I completely agree, too. Hashino hit the nail on the head.

Gazoinks

You're right, it makes for an interesting... ahem... mark on the Persona franchises' history. So I'll give it that. Though I prefer games to be as close to the source material as possible.

Well yeah. The situation would be different if we didn't have a proper translation of the PSP port, definitely.

Well yeah. The situation would be different if we didn't have a proper translation of the PSP port, definitely.

Yup. There is something cool about how the localization team tried to "westernize" Revelations: Persona. Only for Persona to be released again years later properly. I guess it shows that the Western audience doesn't really care for overt localization, they want authenticity.

Acid08

Banned
Final boss in P1P beat me. Remembered I'd have to go through that whole trap room again and decided to turn off my Vita and try again tomorrow. That dungeon took forever to get through.

It was weird, I lost when I still had two people left but they both had status ailments. I guess it's a fail state if none of your party members can make an action, even if they're still alive.

PK Gaming

gbohaR0.jpg

I will never not find this funny. Saying it out loud makes me laugh even harder.

Final boss in P1P beat me. Remembered I'd have to go through that whole trap room again and decided to turn off my Vita and try again tomorrow. That dungeon took forever to get through.

It was weird, I lost when I still had two people left but they both had status ailments. I guess it's a fail state if none of your party members can make an action, even if they're still alive.

Ouch, tough break. Did you lose to the
Magical form? That version's a lot harder, i'd say.
If you're near level 62, you can grind there to get Amon-Ra, MC's, which has a move that specifically does more damage against the final boss. (I know, its freaking weird)

Acid08

Banned
I will never not find this funny. Saying it out loud makes me laugh even harder.

Ouch, tough break. Did you lose to the
Magical form? That version's a lot harder, i'd say.
If you're near level 62, you can grind there to get Amon-Ra, MC's, which has a move that specifically does more damage against the final boss. (I know, its freaking weird)
Yeah, it was the
second form. I was plugging away at her pretty good but then she cast that fucking Butterfly spell at a bad time for me and that was it.

My MC is 52 right now. I think I can beat the boss without any other adjustments, just need a little luck and some tighter management of my dudes. Really don't want to grind 10 more levels :lol. At this point I'm ready to be done with the combat on this game.

PK Gaming

Yeah, it was the
second form. I was plugging away at her pretty good but then she cast that fucking Butterfly spell at a bad time for me and that was it.

My MC is 52 right now. I think I can beat the boss without any other adjustments, just need a little luck and some tighter management of my dudes. Really don't want to grind 10 more levels :lol. At this point I'm ready to be done with the combat on this game.

Haha fair enough

You're right, you should be able to take
her
down with Narukami, provided you don't get haxed. Remember, if
she's blue, pound her with magic. if she's purple, physical attacks (guns!) are the way to go.

And how about that final boss's appearance. It's certainly something, haha.

Acid08

Banned
Haha fair enough

You're right, you should be able to take
her
down with Narukami, provided you don't get haxed. Remember, if
she's blue, pound her with magic. if she's purple, physical attacks (guns!) are the way to go.
Yeah, figured that out after healing her a bunch with magic and flipping out :lol. Guns were my main source of damage too. never was actually able to hit her with more than a couple magic attacks because she either switched back quickly or cast that "lol idiot, you can't hit me with anything" spell.

And how about that final boss's appearance. It's certainly something, haha.

Oh, dude, yeah. Yeah D:
legit thought that the boss was Mara with Maki's face in for a second :lol

Maki is one fucked up girl.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
The Japanese government to my understanding is really wanting to ramp up the number of English teachers and whatnot in Japan in preparation for the Olympics in 2020 so they can have native guides able to help tourists and whatnot, so I personally suspect this will be one of the easier years for people to get into JET.

I'm guessing you applied as an ALT? I was interviewed for a CIR position last week myself and found the interview process to be pleasantly smooth, which I'm hearing was also the case with a lot of other applicants I know as well. Fun times!

Gazoinks

Man, they sure made Naoto super versatile in Golden. Dark and Light, Almighty, Physical, and Two Dyne spells to start off? Sheesh.

Gazoinks

On the negative side, her battle quotes are kind of overacted. Which is weird, because the mystery VA did a fine performance in the rest of the game.

Also, congrats Jintor!

e: DID CHIE JUST DO A GALACTIC PUNT WITH HER SCOOTER :O

PK Gaming

On the negative side, her battle quotes are kind of overacted. Which is weird, because the mystery VA did a fine performance in the rest of the game.

Yeah, it's like nails on a chalkboard.
ALL YOOOOURS! PURSEOWNAH! (the meme made real)

And I might be in the minority here, but I think Naoto VA is terrible. At least, in comparison to her original VA and anime dub voice. It's really lacking.

Gazoinks

Yeah, it's like nails on a chalkboard.
ALL YOOOOURS! PURSEOWNAH! (the meme made real)

And I might be in the minority here, but I think Naoto VA is terrible. At least, in comparison to her original VA and anime dub voice. It's really lacking.

Wait. Is Golden's VA different? I didn't notice, guess I don't remember her original voice. >.> I don't think it's terrible. It's not one of the outstanding voices, but it's fine. It's there. Except the battles. Then it's terrible. :p

PK Gaming

Wait. Is Golden's VA different? I didn't notice, guess I don't remember her original voice. >.> I don't think it's terrible. It's not one of the outstanding voices, but it's fine. It's there. Except the battles. Then it's terrible. :p

No it's the same actress, I just meant in comparison to her original JP VA.

Gazoinks

No it's the same actress, I just meant in comparison to her original JP VA.

Oh, gotcha. I haven't hear the original JP voice. I feel like Naoto's voice in both the game and anime are lacking a bit. Kind of a shame, probably contributes to people generally finding her somewhat unmemorable when the rest of the cast is so good.

Acid08

Banned
Oh, gotcha. I haven't hear the original JP voice. I feel like Naoto's voice in both the game and anime are lacking a bit. Kind of a shame, probably contributes to people generally finding her somewhat unmemorable when the rest of the cast is so good.
That and you just don't get as much time with her as you do with everyone else. Plus her whole reason for being there just seems to be for repeating information you already know :lol

PK Gaming

I dunno, I feel like the actress herself just isn't very good

To start, she doesn't even try to put on a masculine voice nor does she try to sound young. Any line that involves any sort of heavy emotions from Naoto just falls flat on its face because the VA sucks at inflections.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn does a much better job at portraying Naoto. She isn't perfect, but she gets the very basic component of sounding androgynous down, and she's way better at emotion.

Sorry if I'm a little late on this, but I wanted to speak my mind about it. I'll say that PS1 Eternal Punishment localization is not bad, and kinda of enjoyable in a so bad, it's good kind of way. But yeah the localization does show some awkwardness. Mostly through some of choices they made with using some of the Revelations: Persona continuity like using Lunarville, which sounds silly next to Sumaru City and when they are in Japan. Along with keeping Nate and Ellen's first names but changing their last names to their cannon ones.

Along with the sometimes the voiced dialogue would come off as more unintentionally hilarious with Nate and Ellen being the worst offenders, and Tatsuya taking the cake with one his lines that make him sound so doofy and like a dork. I would say the rest are fine with Baofu, Katsuya, and Ulala being the better acted. Maya is eh...alright, she a silent protagonist in the game, and while she does a have lines in the form of battle quotes. They're alright, nothing great, but nothing atrocious.

If I had to compared it to something ATLUS did (I'm just making a point here alright), is that the localization is like Tail Concerto. Another game they localized a couple years before Eternal Punishment, where it's actually decent in terms of localization, but has some awkwardness to the script that just can't go unnoticed. While there is few of the actors like in EP that actually pretty decent at the roles their given, you do have a few roles that either sounded very bored sounding, or over the top. Funny thing is that both Tail Concerto and EP were done by the same voice production company that did Persona 3 & 4 (PCB Productions), and actually they both share a few of the same actors.

Maya Amano (Lani Minella) shares the same voice with Waffle Ryebread (Seriously that's his name)

And Ulala Serizawa (Amanda Winn Lee) shares the same voice with Alicia Priss

I would say that this was major turning point for ATLUS localization, along with Nocturne. Where it showed that they knew it was better to be faithful to the material, then try to do with what they did in Revelations: Persona, and try to take any semblance of what made the material so special in the first place, and change it into something it's not. Why do you think that ATLUS is respected by so many people now. It's that they have respect for the material, and only know when to change something to make it flow better in English when need be.

I would say you should play EP at some point, because it's enjoyable if you go into it with the mindset of being an older game, and enjoying it for what it's worth. Because I enjoyed the characters and story, which made up for the so-so gameplay. Which I'll have to admit, is kinda not always great.

MSMrRound

Just want to put it out there that I didn't realize that Naoto's a
female
until I got to the
secret lab
part of the anime, because of Romi Park.

Romi Park (Naoto's JP VA) got a knack of
voicing male characters e.g Edward Elric (Full Metal Alchemist), Touma (Shining Force Exa), Komatsu (Toriko) and lots more
, so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

Now whenever I watch Kill La Kill and see
Kiruyin Ragyo wrecking shit, with that signature Romi Park yell
, can't help but imagine that Naoto is doing that instead.

Dantis

Kanji laying the smack down with his scooter was funny though.

Do you guys think they will keep those post-all out attack finishers e.g Twin Dragons, Beauty & the Beast etc for P5 and beyond?

If they do, I hope they look better than the P4G ones.

All the new stuff they added to battles in P4G was really bad, in my opinion. The scooter attacks, all the new Rise stuff (Particularly the pink skull cloud in AOAs), the character team up moves... It was all random chance stuff, that when activated made the game way too easy. It all looked really awful too.

Kanji laying the smack down with his scooter was funny though.

Do you guys think they will keep those post-all out attack finishers e.g Twin Dragons, Beauty & the Beast etc for P5 and beyond?
Actually that's his bicycle, since he younger than Rise and Naoto. He doesn't have a scooter license, but still funny that he smacks down the enemies with his bike.

Swedesu

I'm personally hoping for P3FES's Fusion spells to make a comeback.
Just make em like they were in DDS. Combining different skills to make a new one, seems to me like that wouldn't be to hard to implement.

I mean Agi+Garu= A flame tornado, this stuff writes itself.

Kazzy

hey jerks

my jet interview went great

see you in JAPAN

i dunno lol

Good! As much as I love Japan, my main gripe (wanting more sociable/less working hours) shouldn't be an issue for those on the JET program.

...Just don't bet on big city lights!

cj_iwakura

That only make's it more tragic. I mean they put out dumb Final Fantasy III on the PSP digital download only. Why not put out the PSP version of P2EP as download only at the very least.

The commonly accepted theory, which the GBA Temp thread backs up, is that the coding was hell, and AtlusJP were unable to help due to being on other project.

Yeah, it was the

Yeah, Butterfly Swarm is a b. If she doesn't do that, you're golden. It comes down to luck, more often than not. Every time I've beaten her, she never cast it.

Just make em like they were in DDS. Combining different skills to make a new one, seems to me like that wouldn't be to hard to implement.

I mean Agi+Garu= A flame tornado, this stuff writes itself.

I forgot about this, it's pretty good and one of my favourite things about some old rpgs. Fusing spells in Tales of Symphonia was pretty fun, iirc. For some reason the mechanic of fusing spells though seems so 90's to me though.

..my main gripe (wanting more sociable/less working hours) shouldn't be an issue for those on the JET program.!

Who needs more sociable hours when you've got games! I always thought you were on the JET program.

My Neogaf account has finally been activated. :)

Hey guys, I'm a long time follower of the various Persona threads on neogaf.

i'm so glad that i'm able to finally contribute to this awesome community.

Nice to meet you all.

:)

Top Bottom