• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Sophia

That's a scan from Famitsu I believe. You two might want to edit the image out of your quotes.

They're apparently one unit in battle. Zen does the fighting I guess.

Zen does the physical fighting and Rei kinda serves as a faux-persona, being the magic caster.

Gazoinks

Zen does the physical fighting and Rei kinda serves as a faux-persona, being the magic caster.

Ah, that's interesting. Especially with the new knowledge of changeable Personas for party members! Will they be less customizable than everyone else? Does Zen have a collection of food-loving girls with different magical abilities?

Jintor

Original P4's screen to me is because of its perfect match with the music.

Dun dun duuuuuuuun, dun dun duuuuuuuuuuun... duh-duh duhduhduh duhhhh, duh-duh duhhhhh dunnnnnnn...

Sophia

Ah, that's interesting. Especially with the new knowledge of changeable Personas for party members! Will they be less customizable than everyone else? Does Zen have a collection of food-loving girls with different magical abilities?

That is a good question. I hope we get more details soon. I'm utterly ecstatic to see that multiple Personas for the whole party are back.

maybe rei gets a pool of skills to equip and unequip like digital devil saga and devil survivor

qXCL1px.jpg

i just found this funny thing on the megaten wiki

Gazoinks

maybe rei gets a pool of skills to equip and unequip like digital devil saga and devil survivor

That'd be pretty cool. Them having some sort of unique gameplay mechanic like that is the one thing that might make me actually use them.

i just found this funny thing on the megaten wiki

When I was playing SMTIV I would send some of my favorite weird demon designs to my non SMT-playing friends for their reactions. :D

That is a good question. I hope we get more details soon. I'm utterly ecstatic to see that multiple Personas for the whole party are back.

This pretty much singlehandedly rehyped me for the game. I neeed deetails. D:

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I read through those Famitsu scans for Persona Q. Not a whole lot of new information, so I'm not gonna bother scanlating it, but here are the major new details:

• It's true, the other Persona 3 and 4 party members can now use alternate Personas. They're referred to in the magazine as "Sub-Personas;" whether that's just a means of differentiating the other Personas from their main ones or there's something more to it isn't stated. Apparently in the story they gain this power somehow by way of the protagonists meeting each other. Details are scarce beyond it having something to do with their Wild Card power.
  • Boost meter is built up by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Characters who manage to enter a Boosted state can use their skills for free and, if I'm reading it right, jump ahead in line in terms of attack priority. The terminology is a bit vague.
  • Follow-up attacks that are performed when another character has taken their turn and All-Out Attacks have a higher chance of triggering as more and more characters enter a Boosted state.
  • Party chatter between members can change depending on who's fighting with you. It's not clear if this is just for battles or if it can include conversations outside of fights, too.

Not really any new information beyond that. It's pretty bare bones, but it's Famitsu, so what can you expect?

Squire

Banned
Those actually sound like some pretty solid battle mechanics.

I imagine sub-personas have limited room to develop while the characters main personas can go all out gaining as many skills and evolutions as is in P3/4.

Gazoinks

I read through those Famitsu scans for Persona Q. Not a whole lot of new information, so I'm not gonna bother scanlating it, but here are the major new details:

• It's true, the other Persona 3 and 4 party members can now use alternate Personas. They're referred to in the magazine as "Sub-Personas;" whether that's just a means of differentiating the other Personas from their main ones or there's something more to it isn't stated. Apparently in the story they gain this power somehow by way of the protagonists meeting each other. Details are scarce beyond it having something to do with their Wild Card power.
  • Boost meter is built up by exploiting enemy weaknesses. Characters who manage to enter a Boosted state can use their skills for free and, if I'm reading it right, jump ahead in line in terms of attack priority. The terminology is a bit vague.
  • Follow-up attacks that are performed when another character has taken their turn and All-Out Attacks have a higher chance of triggering as more and more characters enter a Booster state.
  • Party chatter between members can change depending on who's fighting with you. It's not clear if this is just for battles or if it can include conversations outside of fights, too.

Not really any new information beyond that. It's pretty bare bones, but it's Famitsu, so what can you expect?

Glad to hear anything, honestly! That's pretty cool, it looks like they're deviating more from the EO battle mechanics than I initially expected them to. Nice that exploiting weaknesses is still key.

Sophia

So the Boost system is basically taken straight of Xenosaga huh? Neato. Wonder how that applies to Aigis seeing as she didn't have Boost on her option menu, but Orgia mode.

Squire

Banned
So the Boost system is basically taken straight of Xenosaga huh? Neato. Wonder how that applies to Aigis seeing as she didn't have Boost on her option menu, but Orgia mode.

The bit about priority/turn order reminds me of FFX. One of my favorite aspects of that system.

Sophia

The bit about priority/turn order reminds me of FFX. One of my favorite aspects of that system.

Yeah. That's similar to how Xenosaga handled it too. You had a bar that increased as a battle went on. When it filled up, you were able to boost a member of the party, skipping the turn order for that turn entirely. Enemies could do it too.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I mentioned it a little while ago in IRC, but for the record, the semantics behind jumping in line in Japanese literally says that their "actions accelerate." I can't personally think of what else it could mean other than attack priority, but who knows?

Also it's probably obvious, but I forgot to mention that the article also says that the effects of a Boosted state last for seemingly just the characters' next turn when they enter that state. Just thought it was worth clarifying.

Sophia

How similar does this all sound to Etrian Odyssey? I've never played any of them, so I wouldn't know.

None of these mechanics mentioned in the Famitsu article are in Etrian Odyssey at all. EO's system is a standard class/skill tree system, and there's nothing like the boost system.

koutoru

I was thinking about eventually picking up an EO game.
Maybe this game could help me get used to EO type gameplay.

Has anyone heard anything about the mapping mechanics for this game?

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I ended up posting those Famitsu bits to my Tumblr and Tumblr people being what they are have immediately jumped to the conclusion that everyone being able to use Personas to some extent means that affinities are back by default and that reblog is now getting reblogged pretty rapidly.

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING OF THE SORT, TUMBLR. NOT MY FAULT IF YOU GET BURNED ON THAT ONE BECAUSE YOU READ BETWEEN LINES THAT AREN'T THERE.

Anyway my Tumblr followers are a strange bunch.

Dantis

I ended up posting those Famitsu bits to my Tumblr and Tumblr people being what they are have immediately jumped to the conclusion that everyone being able to use Personas to some extent means that affinities are back by default and that reblog is now getting reblogged pretty rapidly.

I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING OF THE SORT, TUMBLR. NOT MY FAULT IF YOU GET BURNED ON THAT ONE BECAUSE YOU READ BETWEEN LINES THAT AREN'T THERE.

Anyway my Tumblr followers are a strange bunch.

I think this applies to like 97% of Tumblr.

Soriku

How similar does this all sound to Etrian Odyssey? I've never played any of them, so I wouldn't know.

The game doesn't sound too much like EO outside the first person exploration atm.

The boost system was one of my favorite parts of Xenosaga 3's battle system so cool that they added something similar. I wish more RPGs had that system honestly.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I think this applies to like 97% of Tumblr.

Agreed. There is a sort of vindication I get from having people following me and reblogging my stuff, but then just sheer despair when I look at some of their reblogs and they're saying the wackiest shit about my work. Suffice it to say that YouTube comments on my subtitles are really... fun to read, too.

I wonder what it was like back in the day when people just dubbed bootleg subtitles onto VCR tapes and shit and everything was way more lo-fi. That sounds like a much more peaceful era to be a translator or a creative type in general, really.

Meia

If it's called "sub-persona", maybe the Personas in this game are the classes themselves? I mean, EO had the idea of subclasses after all. Maybe specific iconic Personas are tied to different classes, and these ones are used by the party members when they use a skill not of their "main" class?

Damn I love speculating game mechanics. :D

CorvoSol

So my party met Fuuka last night. I'm assuming this goes down like
P4, where Rise took over scanning while Teddie became a PC, meaning playable Mitsuru will happen now.
I was kind of surprised to meet a girl in the game who didn't look super fashionable. I dig whatever that scarf, turtleneck is she has going on.

Since I'm doing a simultaneous playthrough, I like to pretend that both storylines are happening in tandem, and Male and Female PC just don't ever interact with one another. Not because they hate each other, but just as a running gag. Like in my head they even probably try to talk to one another every once in awhile, only to be interrupted before getting a word out.

And since Makoto is a horndog, he probably approved of the panties.

Also why does the game insist on reminding Male MC he's a dateless loser but not Female MC? It's like "Hey congrats on starting a social Link with Yuko, kiddo! BUT YER STILL SINGLE."

If it's called "sub-persona", maybe the Personas in this game are the classes themselves? I mean, EO had the idea of subclasses after all. Maybe specific iconic Personas are tied to different classes, and these ones are used by the party members when they use a skill not of their "main" class?

Damn I love speculating game mechanics. :D

Have they actually said what the classes are? If not, expanding on your idea a bit, maybe the classes are the arcana. Priestess class, Justice class, etc..

Though that's basically what you said already but changing the Personas to the arcana instead.

Also why does the game insist on reminding Male MC he's a dateless loser but not Female MC? It's like "Hey congrats on starting a social Link with Yuko, kiddo! BUT YER STILL SINGLE."
I don't know a thing about P3P, but the dateable girl S.Links for the guy feel pretty skeezy. And I really don't care for how there is no way to not date them but the game still punishes you for dating more than one. It's like... well what the hell do you want me to do?

I don't know a thing about P3P, but the dateable girl S.Links for the guy feel pretty skeezy. And I really don't care for how there is no way to not date them but the game still punishes you for dating more than one. It's like... well what the hell do you want me to do?

Choose one and stop chatting up the others :p

Frost Ace better be in this game, along with Jack The Ripper, Demoneeho, The Frost Five, Raiho, Devil Buster Busters, Jack Frost Jr. and Lucifer Frost.

Dantis

Agreed. There is a sort of vindication I get from having people following me and reblogging my stuff, but then just sheer despair when I look at some of their reblogs and they're saying the wackiest shit about my work. Suffice it to say that YouTube comments on my subtitles are really... fun to read, too.

I wonder what it was like back in the day when people just dubbed bootleg subtitles onto VCR tapes and shit and everything was way more lo-fi. That sounds like a much more peaceful era to be a translator or a creative type in general, really.

Fortunately for me, nobody has ever said anything too weird about any of my drawings. Most of the time it's just "So cute!". Which whilst I can't say that I'm fond of, is at least inoffensive.

Frost Ace better be in this game, along with Jack The Ripper, Demoneeho, The Frost Five, Raiho, Devil Buster Busters, Jack Frost Jr. and Lucifer Frost.

Completely reasonable demands, as always.

Top Bottom