• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Playing through Golden for the 2nd time and I'm at Rise. I sort of wich MC would have taken his uncle to the store and just thrown him in there.

CorvoSol

Sounds like you just really like the P4 cast. It's totally understandable. P3P is also crap for a first playthrough though. Especially after Golden which didn't have to make any sacrifices to be on a handheld.

Play P3 and you get to sit around waiting impatiently for the spin-offs like the rest of us!

P3P's presentation is definitely an issue, although I don't mind it as much as some. I also think P3 has some pacing issues, which might be making it harder to click. Or maybe P4 just clicks more! :p It did for me. Actually, between 3 and 4 it seems like people almost always prefer the first one they played.

I don't think P3's bad (although P3P's presentation leaves things to be desired, FeMC's glorious OST notwithstanding), I just haven't felt myself connect to it yet.

Acid08

Banned
Play P3 and you get to sit around waiting impatiently for the spin-offs like the rest of us!

P3P's presentation is definitely an issue, although I don't mind it as much as some. I also think P3 has some pacing issues, which might be making it harder to click. Or maybe P4 just clicks more! :p It did for me. Actually, between 3 and 4 it seems like people almost always prefer the first one they played.
This, sort of. P3 will always be special to me because it was such an incredibly unique and new experience. I devoured that game.

4 is amazing but it didn't hit the same feeling of excitement that 3 did. It was largely the same core with a new coat of paint. Technically 4 is a better game though.

Gazoinks

I don't think P3's bad (although P3P's presentation leaves things to be desired, FeMC's glorious OST notwithstanding), I just haven't felt myself connect to it yet.

Oh, I don't at all, don't get me wrong. I just like P4 more. :p

FeMC's OST is great though, yes. Wiping All Out mmmm. Her S.Link writing also feels more consistent from what I've played so far.

CorvoSol

Except Fuuka. Girl's voice acting is babies.

And I've jumped ship from Team Yukari to Team Mitsuru. Cuz Mitsuru hasn't done anything stupid like picking fights with gangsters after calling Junpei an idiot.

3 really hasn't clicked for me like 4 did at all. It's still a fun game that I'm enjoying a lot, but I liked how much more relatable 4 felt--I just can't relate with a group of what are essentially child soldiers living in an impossibly cool dormitory compared to a bunch of idiot friends playing Scooby-Doo. The lower key, less traditional RPG story helped 4 in this regard as well I think.

In a way I'm pretty glad I got into it via 4, I don't think I would have got into it as much as I did had I started with 3 and I don't think I would have appreciated 4 as much as I did due to it being so similar to 3.

Playing through Golden for the 2nd time and I'm at Rise. I sort of wich MC would have taken his uncle to the store and just thrown him in there.
As useful as having Dojima on your team would have been, I don't know if having someone confront their Shadow self is an ordeal you would willingly want to put anyone through.

Caladrius

And I've jumped ship from Team Yukari to Team Mitsuru. Cuz Mitsuru hasn't done anything stupid like picking fights with gangsters after calling Junpei an idiot.

You have chosen well.

3 really hasn't clicked for me like 4 did at all. It's still a fun game that I'm enjoying a lot, but I liked how much more relatable 4 felt--I just can't relate with a group of what are essentially child soldiers living in an impossibly cool dormitory compared to a bunch of idiot friends playing Scooby-Doo. The lower key, less traditional RPG story helped 4 in this regard as well I think.

In a way I'm pretty glad I got into it via 4, I don't think I would have got into it as much as I did had I started with 3 and I don't think I would have appreciated 4 as much as I did due to it being so similar to 3.

I feel similarly. p4's premise and characters latched on to me far better. I had to play P3P first due to being unable to find the game, and by the time I was nearly done with that I was quite fatigued.

Soma

This, sort of. P3 will always be special to me because it was such an incredibly unique and new experience. I devoured that game.

4 is amazing but it didn't hit the same feeling of excitement that 3 did. It was largely the same core with a new coat of paint. Technically 4 is a better game though.

Yeah same thing happened for me.

Weirdly enough the things I didn't really care for at first in 3 I've started to appreciate over time but with 4, certain things/characters I really loved at first I kinda stopped caring about over time. (like Chie for example)

Squire

Banned
Except Fuuka. Girl's voice acting is babies.

Nevermind, Mitsuru just got in the way and let an enemy get a first strike on me. Screw her. Girl from the Student Council it is.

Fuuka's kawaii and her voice is much better in Arena.

Actually, Wendee Lee should be reprising that role for PQ.

FluxWaveZ

Fuuka's kawaii and her voice is much better in Arena.

Actually, Wendee Lee should be reprising that role for PQ.

...Fuuka...

I'm not sure how anime dubs are handled or licensed or anything, but if Amanda Winn-Lee's now permanently Fuuka, the Persona work she was talking about could have been related to an English dub of P3M #1. It would also explain why Troy Baker's not involved.

Squire

Banned
...Fuuka...

I'm not sure how anime dubs are handled or licensed or anything, but if Amanda Winn-Lee's now permanently Fuuka, the Persona work she was talking about could have been related to an English dub of P3M #1. It would also explain why Troy Baker's not involved.

Wendee Lee plays Fuuka, as of P4A.

Amanda is probably on PQ or P4A2. Troy is bluffing. From his perspective, if we take "coming up" to mean "coming out soon" then yeah, he's probably clueless.

I'm glad I started with P3 because I had to become accustomed to AI controlled allies, and using the tactics options made me feel like a commander. Ironically, I played FFXIII a little while after and Its AI control via the Gambit system was way better then the tactic menus will ever be. I imagined people who played P4 before P3 find AI party members cumbersome, even down right annoying. At least P3P is there for those who don't want to deal with AI party control.

When P4 was released, I was happy I had control over my party. One of the many little things that helped make P4 a better experience overall.

FluxWaveZ

Amanda Winn Lee and Wendee Lee are different people.

Oh wow, I just now saw the difference because of this (guess I put too much emphasis on last names). Oh well.

Wendee Lee plays Fuuka, as of P4A.

Amanda is probably on PQ or P4A2. Troy is bluffing. From his perspective, if we take "coming up" to mean "coming out soon" then yeah, he's probably clueless.

Hm... well, that'd be the most straightforward explanation.

koutoru

I'm glad I started with P3 because I had to become accustomed to AI controlled allies, and using the tactics options made me feel like a commander. Ironically, I played FFXIII a little while after and Its AI control via the Gambit system was way better then the tactic menus will ever be. I imagined people who played P4 before P3 find AI party members cumbersome, even down right annoying. At least P3P is there for those who don't want to deal with AI party control.

When P4 was released, I was happy I had control over my party. One of the many little things that helped make P4 a better experience overall.

I'm also glad that they didn't forcibly split up your party sometimes when you go into another level of a dungeon.

I never split my party up in P3 and I don't miss it in P4.

I'm also glad that they didn't forcibly split up your party sometimes when you go into another level of a dungeon.

I never split my party up in P3 and I don't miss it in P4.

True that. The only time my members ever split up was when those random Tartarus events would happen. Then I would just regroup everyone.

Hey, yeah, I do hate the AI. I'm making it work, though. It was a big hurdle at first but I think I'm used to it now.

Something I kind of wonder is why is there AI only in the first place? It's not like the battle system really requires it. There's some other weird, cumbersome stuff in 3 that 4 fixed that I don't understand why they existed in the first place--like having to talk to your party members to equip them/check their stats/ask for healing. Like... why? Is this what the earlier Persona games were like?

Gazoinks

Hey, yeah, I do hate the AI. I'm making it work, though. It was a big hurdle at first but I think I'm used to it now.

Something I kind of wonder is why is there AI only in the first place? It's not like the battle system really requires it. There's some other weird, cumbersome stuff in 3 that 4 fixed that I don't understand why they existed in the first place--like having to talk to your party members to equip them/check their stats/ask for healing. Like... why? Is this what the earlier Persona games were like?

Nope! I think what they were going for is really making your characters feel like independent characters. They can't go to Tartarus sometime, they have AI, you have to talk to them, etc. Which they were kind of succesfull with, but can be kind of annoying from a gameplay perspective.

As useful as having Dojima on your team would have been, I don't know if having someone confront their Shadow self is an ordeal you would willingly want to put anyone through.

Oh yea I understand, I just thought it would have been a cool scenario for NG+ though require a lot of writing changes....

Meia

The problem is that unlike 4, a lot of the character growth in 3 is tied into the narrative itself. I mean, yeah, you get to hang out with the cast(all of them in the female route only), but they don't really feel all that friendly to each other for most of the game. It's why I *really* hope that translated line by Yukari in her character trailer is accurate(her saying that SEES feels more like co-workers when she looks at the Investigation Team), cause yeah, that's my main beef with the cast of 3 to begin with.

I mean, to be fair, the drama CDs have a lot more good stuff that happens during the year with the main cast actually hanging with each other in scenes like 4, but that's only in them. A lot of the characters don't even really come into their own until the last few months of the game, and then in the epilogue game...

I always thought they implemented an AI-only party member system to make it feel like you are the leader. The tactics option is your way of altering their attack patterns, but you have no direct say. Talking to each individual was very cumbersome, that's why you talk to Fuuka so you have access to everyone's stats/equipment. I felt like they are trying to create a separation from your character P3MC with the rest of the characters. I enjoyed it when they would randomly go, "Yo I got new armor, have this back." Made them feel like they are doing things outside of Tartarus.

For as cool as I thought all that stuff was in P3. P4's more traditional RPG, go into menu and change everyone's equipment without having to talk to them individually, is really the way to go for any RPG. It's just easier, less cumbersome, faster, and more intuitive. I just found P3 very novel after having done the traditional way in all the Final Fantasy games.

Levito

Banned
I hate how long I laughed at this:

tumblr_n1dptifaAB1qlb2k6o2_1280.jpg

Sophia

I looked at this and laughed. Then I looked at it again, saw the Gas Station Attendant and laughed harder. Too good.

Oh my god. I completely missed that when I saw it the first time.

Someone help me, I'm on the floor laughing and I can't get up.

CorvoSol

Fuck you, Yukari. We had to leave the dungeon because you can't take a hit, and now we have to make this whole walk all over again. I have half a mind to dump your sorry ass inside this tower alongside whoever the infeliz is that Elizabeth is forcing us to find in this place.

Don't you think the new trailers posted today indicate full well that a lot about the game will be character interaction, special dialogue and cutscenes?

Are you telling me it's on a HANDHELD?!? WTF is Atlus thinking?!?!Q?!Q??Q?Q?Q

The Velvet Room being a nightclub in P5 would be really cool.

OOooooooooooh, I like this.

Course, the guessing game where it'll be, like alot of P5, is even better!

Top Bottom