• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Meia

hcZbLKr.gif

Man I can't wait to apply for TAP in NY to try and buy a Mara back late game.

There's really no way to tell, but I feel like they would keep the same thing they've been doing in 3 and 4 of making the velvet room some kind of vehicle

The Fox's Shadow:
C0dEu0w.png

Purely and entirely for fun, because I really doubt a fox has a complex enough mind to contain a shadow self. But then again, a dog can apparently summon a Persona, so what do I know.

FluxWaveZ

However they handle the Velvet Room in terms of aesthetics this time, I want some kind of tangible detail as to how the main characters access it.

In Persona 3, because of how a character (I believe it's Yukari) talks to Makoto after he first accesses the Velvet Room in Tartarus's lobby, it's presumed that he's staring into nothingness, totally unresponsive, for minutes on end. Kinda silly to think about, while the other characters must be wondering what the hell he's doing staring into a blank wall like that.

And in Persona 4, it's not addressed as much, but you'd think either Narukami's literally disappearing into an invisible door in the middle of the shopping district or, like Makoto, he's staring into nothingness.

Eh, maybe it could be handwaved away by saying that the time spent in the Velvet Room seems instantaneous in the real world, or it just doesn't warrant that much of an explanation like those butterflies that are used for save points. Still, it's something that I've thought of, especially since what the Velvet Room was was very much explained in P1 and P2.

Gazoinks

However they handle the Velvet Room in terms of aesthetics this time, I want some kind of tangible detail as to how the main characters access it.

In Persona 3, because of how a character (I believe it's Yukari) talks to Makoto after he first accesses the Velvet Room in Tartarus's lobby, it's presumed that he's staring into nothingness, totally unresponsive, for minutes on end. Kinda silly to think about, while the other characters must be wondering what the hell he's doing staring into a blank wall like that.

And in Persona 4, it's not addressed as much, but you'd think either Narukami's literally disappearing into an invisible door in the middle of the shopping district or, like Makoto, he's staring into nothingness.

Eh, maybe it could be handwaved away by saying that the time spent in the Velvet Room seems instantaneous in the real world, or it just doesn't warrant that much of an explanation like those butterflies that are used for save points. Still, it's something that I've thought of, especially since what the Velvet Room was was very much explained in P1 and P2.

Yeah, I agree. Actually, it being pointed out in P3 made it feel weirder to me. Cause Yukari and Junpei are like "Uh... did you just spend ten minutes staring into space" and Makoto is like "..." and it's never brought up again. You'd think they'd be worried by how much he does it. In P4 I just assumed Yu was actually vanishing or something.

Meia

Actually I don't think he's staring for minutes. I think it's implied that because of how the room itself works, Makoto could spend a day in there fusing and it'd be a few seconds in the real world, tops. Though time itself is kind of fucky when it comes to Persona 3 anyway, as you can spend 9 hours in Tartarus a night, when it's called the dark HOUR.

The Fox's Shadow:
C0dEu0w.png

Purely and entirely for fun, because I really doubt a fox has a complex enough mind to contain a shadow self. But then again, a dog can apparently summon a Persona, so what do I know.

I like it. I love how you incorporated the kitsune(Japanese fox spirit) into the design.

CorvoSol

Uhm, random thought but it just dawned on me. Outside the shrine at night there's a woman who asks for fish to feed her kids.
At the end of the game you meet the fox's kids. Aaaaaare these two characters one and the same?

Gazoinks

The Fox's Shadow:
C0dEu0w.png

Haha, awesome. This actually really looks like it could've been a Persona or Demon design to me.

nice hair

Actually I don't think he's staring for minutes. I think it's implied that because of how the room itself works, Makoto could spend a day in there fusing and it'd be a few seconds in the real world, tops. Though time itself is kind of fucky when it comes to Persona 3 anyway, as you can spend 9 hours in Tartarus a night, when it's called the dark HOUR.
you can also spend a week on an in-game day but whatever

Meia

I actually wonder how the game would have been received if it had an hour timer inside Tartarus(stops at Velvet Room or in lobby let's say) instead of the Tired mechanic. You can go in night after night this way, but you can't stay in for too long.

...then again being forced to not go in for a few days was a nice way to break up the two gameplay types. Hrm.

PK Gaming

tumblr_n1dmai2Tnn1qd2z8ro1_500.gif

Let's put our differences aside and just be friends. Let's not bicker and argue about whether P4>P3 or vice versa. Today, for one day only, let's appreciate both games for what they are.

Persona 4 is still better tho

Yu is taller than Makoto, suck it

Well the fact that Helga can easily out-tsundere even the most extreme Anime tsunderes is quite something if you ask me.

Damn right.

Ahem...

I just want to take this time to remind everyone what the funniest post of the whole Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number thread has been so far.

Courtesy of our one and only Gazoinks. (Click "Behold." dammit)

Still my favorite Persona related .gif image. The music really takes it to another level of silly hilariousness.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Probably the biggest surprise for me coming out of the last couple of weeks is that a good number of journalist types have apparently been stealth following me on Tumblr. I'm very much so used to toiling away without much attention just because I do what I do out of love for the craft above all else and just work on what I do because it's fun, so having people actually take notice is still a very new thing to me, ahaha. I wish it translated into paid freelance work more often, honestly, but any exposure is super flattering for someone fresh out of college like me.

Levito

Banned
Probably the biggest surprise for me coming out of the last couple of weeks is that a good number of journalist types have apparently been stealth following me on Tumblr. I'm very much so used to toiling away without much attention just because I do what I do out of love for the craft above all else and just work on what I do because it's fun, so having people actually take notice is still a very new thing to me, ahaha. I wish it translated into paid freelance work more often, honestly, but any exposure is super flattering for someone fresh out of college like me.

They should be thankful that you put your translation work up for free. These bigger gaming sites *should* be beating down the down to give you a job.

Meia

They should be thankful that you put your translation work up for free. These bigger gaming sites *should* be beating down the down to give you a job.

I hope they're at least giving him credit for doing the work, cause that's usually a hit or miss affair with this stuff too. >>

CorvoSol

Let's put our differences aside and just be friends. Let's not bicker and argue about whether P4>P3 or vice versa. Today, for one day only, let's appreciate both games for what they are.

Yu's taller than Makoto because of
dat American side of his family. Think about it.

We may have a new bar for Engrish covers.

Speaking of Engrish, I had a hard time not laughing at the end of several serious episodes of P4's anime because of it.

My personal opinion is that Persona 3 is better than 4 don't hate
Anyways I'm a new member here so nice to meet everyone and I can't wait for Persona 5

CorvoSol

Uh...what? When was this ever specified?

Never, haha, it's just in my head. Cuz if Yu is from another country, his being super attractive to everyone is something I can relate to more easily than just being from the city. Cuz I've been the attractive foreigner, but never the attractive city kid.

My personal opinion is that Persona 3 is better than 4 don't hate
Anyways I'm a new member here so nice to meet everyone and I can't wait for Persona 5

I have the same opinion P3 is better than P4. P3 had the better challenge, controlling the whole party was a non issue for me, I never depended on the party so Mitsuru could do whatever she wanted.

I have the same opinion P3 is better than P4. P3 had the better challenge, controlling the whole party was a non issue for me, I never depended on the party so Mitsuru could do whatever she wanted.

It's a matter of opinion but I thought persona 3 had better character development than 4 because it did it through the narrative rather than social links which felt weird through the social links because it didn't resonate with the narrative that well to me. But that doesn't mean I didn't like persona 4 because I love it.

CorvoSol

I think the only reason P3 feels harder than P4 to me is because I played Golden where it was really easy to turn Izanagi into a killing machine thanks to Shuffle time and Marie's Card Shop.

P3 feels more like SMT4 did, where I'm not really building up my Persona, just kinda using whatever works until I can fuse it away for something better.

Eh, I still give the edge to 4 over 3. 3 got really sloppy with its villains and most of the characters outside of the principal cast were pretty unlikeable, which unfortunately includes the majority of the Social Links. P3 does have Da Man (AKA the best character in the series) going for it, though.

Sophia

I think the only reason P3 feels harder than P4 to me is because I played Golden where it was really easy to turn Izanagi into a killing machine thanks to Shuffle time and Marie's Card Shop.

P3 feels more like SMT4 did, where I'm not really building up my Persona, just kinda using whatever works until I can fuse it away for something better.

That's how MegaTen normally is in regards to Demons/Personas. They're more expendable and you're expected to continually fuse something better and better as the game goes along.

It's a matter of opinion but I thought persona 3 had better character development than 4 because it did it through the narrative rather than social links which felt weird through the social links because it didn't resonate with the narrative that well to me. But that doesn't mean I didn't like persona 4 because I love it.

I like P4 as well, I'm looking forward to P5.

PK Gaming

hBx7nfL.jpg

Yu -
Freelancer
Yosuke -
Thief/Ninja
Chie -
Black Belt
Yukiko -
White Mage
Kanji -
Monk
Rise -
Dancer
Teddie -
Blue Mage
Naoto -
Paladin/Dark Knight

I had to crop out the image because of P4 SPOILERS. Full image here.

CorvoSol

That's how MegaTen normally is in regards to Demons/Personas. They're more expendable and you're expected to continually fuse something better and better as the game goes along.

Right. Rule number 1 is when in doubt, fuse.

P3 6/22

Dude, Shadow Jesus is so obviously Ikutsuki it hurts. Like it'll be interesting to see that come together, but Death Metal Shadow Jesus is so Ikutsuki.

Also: Met Koro-Maru. Probably gonna put him into FeMC's team.

Also also: Seeing Mitsuru
mistake Junpei's messy room for a break in and kidnapping
was cute.

EDIT: Also the Nozomi Social Link may be the most repulsive Social Link I've ever been in. Whereas the Chihiro one is great. Also Mr. Edogawa is my favorite teacher because he physically lacks eyeballs and because all he ever talks about is magic. What is he even supposed to be teaching?

Gazoinks

hBx7nfL.jpg

Yu -
Freelancer
Yosuke -
Thief/Ninja
Chie -
Black Belt
Yukiko -
White Mage
Kanji -
Monk
Rise -
Dancer
Teddie -
Blue Mage
Naoto -
Paladin/Dark Knight

I had to crop out the image because of P4 SPOILERS. Full image here.
Ooh, that's awesome.

EDIT: Also the Nozomi Social Link may be the most repulsive Social Link I've ever been in. Whereas the Chihiro one is great. Also Mr. Edogawa is my favorite teacher because he physically lacks eyeballs and because all he ever talks about is magic. What is he even supposed to be teaching?

Edogawa is... secretly Philemon the school nurse? I think?

Acid08

Banned
The
totally not creepy
secret camera videos were awesome. Gave a nice insight into some of the personalities and insecurities of the cast.

Junpei, Yukari, and Shinjiro videos>>>>>

Top Bottom