• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Acid08

Banned
Read all there is to read(currently) of the P1 manga. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted, tons of additional back story and interaction with the characters. They made a couple changes to the story, most notably the
MC having a twin brother who died when he was four. This comes into play quite a bit
. Six volumes are translated right now and there are eight total. Really hope the final two come out soon, really want to see how they finish up the story.

Onwards and downwards!
Ne8IU8a.png

UuSfhAw.png

I can't draw Yosuke bear-y well...
It's the king of second bananas himself, Yosuke! He seems like a guy who would wear stupid shorts.
Yep... I don't have much else to say about him...

On to the meat glutton, Chie.

PK Gaming

Oh so you got easter eggs huh!

I noticed he's sporting a Junes logo on his t-shirt and belt buckle. His headphones also say <3 Kazzy

Adorable

Musolf815

You know what Hope isn't justified in?

FFXIII-2 SPOILERS AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

"Hey, I know these God-Machines killed my mother and countless others in their violent need to destroy the world. But what the Hell, I'm scared of this world down here even though I braved it YEARS AGO, so I'm taking all mankind back to the safety of the womb. And we're going to use the brain of one of the masterminds to power ANOTHER God-Machine that will have absolute control over the entire world instead of relying on a system of Demi-God-Machines to rule over us! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?"

"Hey, I know I have these two friends who can travel through time without any negative repercussions who can run to the future and back an infinite number of times to tell me if any plan I come up with is a bad one, but instead of using my genius intellect to realize that means I can have them DO EXACTLY THAT, why don't I JUST TAKE A ONE WAY TRIP TO THE FUTURE, BETTING IT ALL ON THIS PLAN OF MINE?"

*Somehow smart enough to build a machine more effective than the entire system of machines that a GODDESS BUILT.
*Not smart enough to realize it's going to backfire.
*Fights for an entire year against the tyranny of the Gods.
*Decides it's better to put mankind back under their control anyway.
*Inherits larger world with vast natural resources and infinite space for expansion.
*Puts humanity living on the outside of a metal ball with no natural resources to speak of.
*Friends sacrifice themselves to form a crystal pillar to hold up the world for all eternity.
*Decides to destroy said pillar so he can have materials to build his little metal globe.

Fuck Hope. The only good things about him are his necktie and his boomerang. That moron can burn in the special fire reserved for Toriyama.

*high five* I seriously HATED Hope every second he was on screen. Everything about him irked me to no end.

Setsu00

Some XIII spoilers:

I honestly can't understand all the Hope hate as well. He's a teenager who just lost his mother, is forced to cooperate with a bunch of strangers if he wants to survive
(one of them being his mother's "murderer", which explains why a) he reacts the way he does and b) he doesn't call Snow out: He needs his help and telling Snow about his intent to kill him might not be the best idea.)
and is dropped into a situation where probably almost anyone would freak out.

You know what Hope isn't justified in?

FFXIII-2 SPOILERS AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

Hey, I know I have these two friends who can travel through time without any negative repercussions who can run to the future and back an infinite number of times to tell me if any plan I come up with is a bad one, but instead of using my genius intellect to realize that means I can have them DO EXACTLY THAT, why don't I JUST TAKE A ONE WAY TRIP TO THE FUTURE, BETTING IT ALL ON THIS PLAN OF MINE?"

FFXIII-2 spoilers:
So about these negative repercussions... You do understand that hopping through time without minding the consequences is what ultimately caused Serah's death and is one of the reasons the entire ending happened in the first place? Mind you, it's not like XIII-2's storytelling would ever make the clear enough without thinking about it for hours.

*Puts humanity living on the outside of a metal ball with no natural resources to speak of.
*Friends sacrifice themselves to form a crystal pillar to hold up the world for all eternity.
*Decides to destroy said pillar so he can have materials to build his little metal globe.

This is wrong.
The reason why Hope and the other citizens immigrate to Grand Pulse is that Cocoon's resources were "gifts" of the Cocoon fal'Cie. Without these, it's impossible to survive in that metal ball since there even the sun of Cocoon was a Cocoon fal'Cie. The second reason why immigrating to Grand Pulse is the only option is that the crystal pillar that was created by Fang and Vanille became instable (I'm not sure why this happens either. I would assume it's a retcon by Toriyama). As the crystal pillar is the one thing that prevents Cocoon from crashing into Grand Pulse, it's possibly for the best to escape from there.
Now, Hope doesn't destroy the crystal pillar. He's actually attempting the opposite: Making sure the crystal pillar doesn't break until Hope created his new Cocoon

The dumbest decision of XIII-2 was
building Academia, their new capital, directly beneath Cocoon, making it the first thing to get obliterated once crystal pillar shatters.
And that was probably out of Hope's control.

Jintor

I hear the P4A manga is actually pretty good. (The P3 and P4 manga mostly drag, in my opinion, but the altered screencaps are great!)

I hear the P4A manga is actually pretty good.

I heard similar things about the P4A manga, I'm going to wait till it's all released and read it, it's not like I'm full of spare time and dying for something to read now.

(The P3 and P4 manga mostly drag, in my opinion, but the altered screencaps are great!)

What about the Persona: Tsumi To Batsu manga?

It has some awesome cover art.

cj_iwakura

The thought of playing P1 without the auto map in the upper left is legit terrifying. Especially in Mana Castle with the doors disguised as walls.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
God almighty, that Igor is like 7.5 heads tall in that picture. He'd probably be the tallest guy in Japan if he ever ventured outside his workplace.

CorvoSol

Some XIII spoilers:

I honestly can't understand all the Hope hate as well. He's a teenager who just lost his mother, is forced to cooperate with a bunch of strangers if he wants to survive
(one of them being his mother's "murderer", which explains why a) he reacts the way he does and b) he doesn't call Snow out: He needs his help and telling Snow about his intent to kill him might not be the best idea.)
and is dropped into a situation where probably almost anyone would freak out.

FFXIII-2 spoilers:
So about these negative repercussions... You do understand that hopping through time without minding the consequences is what ultimately caused Serah's death and is one of the reasons the entire ending happened in the first place? Mind you, it's not like XIII-2's storytelling would ever make the clear enough without thinking about it for hours.

This is wrong.
The reason why Hope and the other citizens immigrate to Grand Pulse is that Cocoon's resources were "gifts" of the Cocoon fal'Cie. Without these, it's impossible to survive in that metal ball since there even the sun of Cocoon was a Cocoon fal'Cie. The second reason why immigrating to Grand Pulse is the only option is that the crystal pillar that was created by Fang and Vanille became instable (I'm not sure why this happens either. I would assume it's a retcon by Toriyama). As the crystal pillar is the one thing that prevents Cocoon from crashing into Grand Pulse, it's possibly for the best to escape from there.
Now, Hope doesn't destroy the crystal pillar. He's actually attempting the opposite: Making sure the crystal pillar doesn't break until Hope created his new Cocoon

The dumbest decision of XIII-2 was
building Academia, their new capital, directly beneath Cocoon, making it the first thing to get obliterated once crystal pillar shatters.
And that was probably out of Hope's control.

Yeah but 1)
Serah doesn't even die till it's all over so her death was basically fixed.
and 2)
that pillar could never fall for natural reasons, especially since the game makes you prevent numerous "reasons" for it to fall as you go along.

Everything that happens in that game is dumb.

Dantis

Wat.

Igor is basically the distillation of a David Lynchian force of nature.
Something disturbing and incomprehensible wrapped in an odd, but relatively mundane image.

He sure isn't. There's nothing 'David Lynchian' about him. His design is very on-the-nose and "Woooooah, look how creeeeepy I am!"

Igor is actually surprisingly similar to Robert Blake's character in Lost Highway, if you view it in broad strokes. But then you look closer and realise how completely different they are. Mundane but disturbing is a really good way of describing Lynch's work, but there's nothing mundane about Igor whatsoever. He's by far the most out of place character in the series, so instead of being mundane, he becomes a person of obvious interest.

Soejima adjusted his proportions and dropped things like the ridiculous bone phone, but it's still not a good design.

I don't hate Igor, but if Persona 5 doesn't include him, I won't be saddened by it.

. He's by far the most out of place character in the series, so instead of being mundane, he becomes a person of obvious interest.

Soejima adjusted his proportions and dropped things like the ridiculous bone phone, but it's still not a good design.

I don't hate Igor, but if Persona 5 doesn't include him, I won't be saddened by it.

I wouldn't say he was out of place, but more dated. I think his design suits the tone/atmosphere of Persona 1 and 2 very well, but then for 3 less so and 4 the least.

I don't see him being in 5 regardless of if they want him or not. With the VA being dead and the unlikely chance of a new one being hired, I don't see him coming back.

Dantis

I wouldn't say he was out of place, but more dated. I think his design suits the tone/atmosphere of Persona 1 and 2 very well, but then for 3 less so and 4 the least.

I don't see him being in 5 regardless of if they want him or not. With the VA being dead and the unlikely chance of a new one being hired, I don't see him coming back.

Out of place was probably a bad choice of words. What I mean is that he immediately stands out as the only severely deformed character, the only unattractive protagonist, and the only character with weird things like a bone phone.

I meant like, in a line up of the characters, he'd probably immediately stand out the most.

Out of place was probably a bad choice of words. What I mean is that he immediately stands out as the only severely deformed character, the only unattractive protagonist, and the only character with weird things like a bone phone.

I meant like, in a line up of the characters, he'd probably immediately stand out the most.

He definitely stands out, but I think that's the point. It's also interesting that you point out he's the only unattractive protaganist.

MSMrRound

I wonder if Margaret is going to stay as the assistant in P5...

...and I'm finally a member! ~Yay~

Now that I'm done with Bravely Default, I should probably pick up Danganronpa soon...but I might wait till FFX/X2 are released too.

CorvoSol

Persona 3 I'm guessing that
the shower scene in the love hotel
would've been a cutscene instead of just weird stills of chins and elbows? Okay. Also interesting to know that
Yu and friends will be here several years later
. Should be interesting to see how this scene plays out as FeMC. Also: the only thing I REALLY wish P3P had was a "skip scene" function for those Full Moons where you game over. Loooooooooooooooooooot of talking just to get back to a boss fight.

Persona 3 I'm guessing that
the shower scene in the love hotel
would've been a cutscene instead of just weird stills of chins and elbows? Okay. Also interesting to know that
Yu and friends will be here several years later
. Should be interesting to see how this scene plays out as FeMC. Also: the only thing I REALLY wish P3P had was a "skip scene" function for those Full Moons where you game over. Loooooooooooooooooooot of talking just to get back to a boss fight.

This was a cutscene in p3fes. I don't care about this scene at all but there will be many times when you ask "should this be a cutscene?" And I replay "it was in p3fes"

Also Dantis you poop Igor is an awesome design

Top Bottom