• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

who.jpg
you know, that p1 npc with the green hair

Dantis

Mainly shadowing and highlights.

Well, I don't really do highlights in my Persona stuff. Only on shiny surfaces, like metal and eyes.

For shadows, it's just a case of deciding which direction a light is coming from, and then figuring out where the shadows are cast based upon that. In more polished images like my avatar, I'll also adjust the line weighting for shadows too.

Squire

Banned
Off topic, but

Today is the day I play my tournament matches! And I have to face EG JUSTIN WONG IN AE

So wish me luck :D

*high five* Do the damn thing, Smed!

Because he did the well-loved Angel Beats, which also felt rushed even though it was an original work (heard it was supposed to be 26 eps, not 13). At least it's getting an official VN series by KEY.

Plus all 3 of those were made solely to promote the upcoming games for each series. P4G, Danganronpa Reload 1*2, and Devil Survivor 2: Break Record (lol).

Whaaaat? I love Angel Betas! I did not know this was happening.

Well, I don't really do highlights in my Persona stuff. Only on shiny surfaces, like metal and eyes.

For shadows, it's just a case of deciding which direction a light is coming from, and then figuring out where the shadows are cast based upon that. In more polished images like my avatar, I'll also adjust the line weighting for shadows too.

Thanks for the tips.

Do you have a deviant art or website with some of your artwork?

CorvoSol

So a friend has asked me, and I put it to you, Persona GAF, to explain the meaning of spell names in the MegaTen series as a whole.

As in, Bufu, Agi, Zio, Zan, Dia and Garu. Like, do these words have some relation to the elements they represent?

Daimaou

So a friend has asked me, and I put it to you, Persona GAF, to explain the meaning of spell names in the MegaTen series as a whole.

As in, Bufu, Agi, Zio, Zan, Dia and Garu. Like, do these words have some relation to the elements they represent?

There are a few prevailing theories for some of them, but it's mostly just conjecture by fans. So far as I'm aware Atlus has never commented on the naming scheme.

The only things with any real weight to it as far as I'm concerned are "maha" (the group spell prefix, shortened to "ma" in English versions post Nocturne) meaning "great" in Sanskrit and "megido" being a reference to Har Megiddo.

Setsu00

Bufu = No idea
Agi = similiar to agni (Sanskrit for fire)
Zio = No idea, but MIGHT be related to Zeus
Zan = No idea
Dia = No idea
Garu = No idea, but MIGHT be related to Garuda

tl;dr: I have no idea what I am saying.

Dia is a word, means "day" in a couple languages I think. I think it's old Greek for heavenly as well. Maybe. Or I might be pulling this from my ass.

Late to the spoiler discussion, but P3 has my favorite ending of any game ever and I got spoiled by the opening sentence of one of the character's wiki pages when I was early in the game (its since been fixed). There's a point to be made that if spoilers totally ruin a story, it probably isn't very good in the first place.

Actually I'd say that (still ending spoilers do not click)
knowing Makoto's fate makes the days leading up to the ending that much more brutal. All those people you helped are so happy about your future together ;_;.

CorvoSol

Dia is a word, means "day" in a couple languages I think. I think it's old Greek for heavenly as well. Maybe. Or I might be pulling this from my ass.

Right, Dia is day in Portuguese, at the least, but I don't readily associate Day and Healing. I can see where it works, but given how the rest of it seems to just be sounds it's a tough call.

Megido is the only one that's readily apparent.

Meia

It's not that spoilers can ruin a story itself, it's that spoilers can ruin one's enjoyment of it.

Very much this. By knowing something about something or someone in a game before you even play it, you treat every scene differently than you would have done had you gone in unaware.

Still remember the most egregious example was some gaming magazine having a collection of CGI cutscenes from FFVII before it released to help market it. And yes, one of the ones featured was THAT one.

arue

Late to the spoiler discussion, but P3 has my favorite ending of any game ever and I got spoiled by the opening sentence of one of the character's wiki pages when I was early in the game (its since been fixed). There's a point to be made that if spoilers totally ruin a story, it probably isn't very good in the first place.

Actually I'd say that (still ending spoilers do not click)
knowing Makoto's fate makes the days leading up to the ending that much more brutal. All those people you helped are so happy about your future together ;_;.

I got spoiled of P3 ending too by googling "Persona 3 main character." I thought only the wiki page has spoilers, but apparently google auto-fill has them too >.>

P3 endgame spoiler:
I agree with you completely, crush. The last 2 days of school where you talk to your maxed S.Link friends broke my heart, because you know you won't be there for them anymore when they talked about the future :(

CorvoSol

Very much this. By knowing something about something or someone in a game before you even play it, you treat every scene differently than you would have done had you gone in unaware.

Still remember the most egregious example was some gaming magazine having a collection of CGI cutscenes from FFVII before it released to help market it. And yes, one of the ones featured was THAT one.

Actually, from what I remember of FF7 commercials as a kid, the
scene where Cloud lowers Aerith's body into the pool outside the seashell building
was featured in all of the commercials. Of course, out of context that scene holds as much meaning as Sephiroth's flame pose, but still pretty nuts decision, I think.

Dantis

Add one to the list of Saori fanart.

Why is it depressing?

The amount of hours I've put into it, I guess?

It's not like it's been a waste, because it's drawing practice when I burn out on my own stuff.

ha, nice one. Very impressive.

Ill study these whilst i learn shadowing.

Thanks Dantis.

You are most welcome. If you need any more advice, feel free to ask. There's some other great artists on here too, like Shmeeb, Green Mamba and Jintor. They could probably give you some tips also.

Ha, well maybe its just me then. Knowing that a certain character will die or that a betrayal happens never really bothers me because I always find it interesting to see the build up to that moment. I guess I do approach things differently but it never really bothers me that much. It's not the big moments but the journey that leads you to them.

Of course that's not to say that I don't get annoyed when I learn a major spoiler. IE if I had had any of TLoU spoiled for me I would have been really pissed.

edit: Hmm actually those are both contradictory sentences. I guess it depends on the story that's getting spoiled lol

CorvoSol

Ha, well maybe its just me then. Knowing that a certain character will die or that a betrayal happens never really bothers me because I always find it interesting to see the build up to that moment. I guess I do approach things differently but it never really bothers me that much. It's not the big moments but the journey that leads you to them.

Of course that's not to say that I don't get annoyed when I learn a major spoiler. IE if I had had any of TLoU spoiled for me I would have been really pissed.

edit: Hmm actually those are both contradictory sentences. I guess it depends on the story that's getting spoiled lol

Well, I can't pretend that having P3 spoiled for me doesn't make me sad, but like you said, I'm hoping that not knowing how all those things play out is good enough.

Meia

Actually, from what I remember of FF7 commercials as a kid, the
scene where Cloud lowers Aerith's body into the pool outside the seashell building
was featured in all of the commercials. Of course, out of context that scene holds as much meaning as Sephiroth's flame pose, but still pretty nuts decision, I think.

Oh no, it wasn't that one, it was the deed itself,
from Aeris praying, to Sephiroth falling, to sword through the abdomen.

Imagine how much it changes
when you play a game for the first time, see a character you don't know their name of in the intro, and know they're going to die at some point in the game. It's an RPG, so I made sure to never have her in my party for example. Then whenever I entered a new area in the game, I did a quick mental check to see if the area matched up with the cutscene.
These are things, of course, that never would have crossed my mind to do so without that knowledge. Things like that kill immersion. Stephen King is horrendous with this as well, spoiling something is about to happen in a story like the page or so before it happens.

CorvoSol

Oh no, it wasn't that one, it was the deed itself,
from Aeris praying, to Sephiroth falling, to sword through the abdomen.

Imagine how much it changes
when you play a game for the first time, see a character you don't know their name of in the intro, and know they're going to die at some point in the game. It's an RPG, so I made sure to never have her in my party for example. Then whenever I entered a new area in the game, I did a quick mental check to see if the area matched up with the cutscene.
These are things, of course, that never would have crossed my mind to do so without that knowledge. Things like that kill immersion. Stephen King is horrendous with this as well, spoiling something is about to happen in a story like the page or so before it happens.

Yeah, I kind of like it most when it dawns on you just before it happens but not soon enough for you to feel like you stand a chance of making a difference, because that sense of dread is great.

Well, I can't pretend that having P3 spoiled for me doesn't make me sad, but like you said, I'm hoping that not knowing how all those things play out is good enough.

It should in my opinion. FFX/X-2 are probably my most anticipated games in a long time (Tales games are not acceptable JRPG substitutes!) and I pretty much know every major spoiler. I don't think that they will have any major effect on my experience.

Hmm, I guess for me at least there seems to be a correlation between age and how spoilers effect me. Having something old spoiled for me (even if I have yet to experience it) bothers me far less than something released in the last year or so. Maybe its like a mental "well I was just late getting to this so I have to accept the consequences" thing. In the manga thread there's a no spoiler-bar policy except for yet to be released chapters, so if you start reading something late you're inevitably going to get something ruined. Yet nobody really has any issue with it.

Acid08

Banned
I've been avoiding DR spoilers like the plague. It's not too hard. I feel lucky that none have come up on Tumblr, that's usually where people are assholes and post whatever. My copy will be here next week :D

Caladrius

I think Saint's Row 4 was the first game in 10 years that I went in blind with.

I don't mind spoilers that often, mainly because the execution and details are far more important to me than the event itself.

Add one to the list of Saori fanart.

The amount of hours I've put into it, I guess?

It's not like it's been a waste, because it's drawing practice when I burn out on my own stuff.

You are most welcome. If you need any more advice, feel free to ask. There's some other great artists on here too, like Shmeeb, Green Mamba and Jintor. They could probably give you some tips also.

Thanks. Shmeeb, Green Mamba, and jintor, if you have any additional advice, im all ears.

Thanks again guys

Gazoinks

This video has some theories on the origins of a lot of the names

Visual novel - esque games in general are something you don't want to image search unless you already played it.

I am unspeakably glad I was unspoiled on 999 over the five years it took before I played it.

Entering the right terms into Google's autocomplete can spoil a lot for you. >.<;
I have a simple rule when it comes to things that I don't want spoiled--don't Google them period.

I think Saint's Row 4 was the first game in 10 years that I went in blind with.
I went in blind with Persona 4 and absolutely loved how in the dark I was about everything. The only major spoiler I knew before hand was Naoto's and I think that was just through sheer pop-cultural osmosis. I even avoided watching the second opening video to Persona 4 (not the anime one but the one that just has random stuff from the game) until I had beaten it because I caught just the beginning, saw it showed Naoto in battle and realized it was going to show me a bunch of stuff that I didn't want to see. Which, uh, good thing I didn't, because it pretty plainly shows
Shadow Teddie
(among other lesser things), which was something that caught me completely off guard in the game proper.

How much I care about spoilers really depends on the game/movie/whatever. I don't care at all for some things but I can be pretty adamant about avoiding them in others.

I almost feel like I don't want to watch any trailer for Persona 5 at all. I think I might try that. Though that means I'll probably just avoid this thread entirely once the P5 train starts rolling.

Jintor

I've been avoiding DR spoilers like the plague. It's not too hard. I feel lucky that none have come up on Tumblr, that's usually where people are assholes and post whatever. My copy will be here next week :D

If you were on tumblr like 1-2 years ago that shit was EVERYWHERE. I managed to avoid most of it but there were some big ones that were almost completely unavoidable.

wmlk

Google and YouTube autocomplete spoiled Persona 3 and Persona 4 for me. I just wanted to listen to some music...

Sophia

I have a simple rule when it comes to things that I don't want spoiled--don't Google them period.

Yeah, pretty much typing Persona 2/3/4 followed by the name of a character is going to get you anywhere from utterly minor spoilers to insanely major ones. >_>

Caladrius

How much I care about spoilers really depends on the game/movie/whatever. I don't care at all for some things but I can be pretty adamant about avoiding them in others.

I almost feel like I don't want to watch any trailer for Persona 5 at all. I think I might try that. Though that means I'll probably just avoid this thread entirely once the P5 train starts rolling.

I'm the same way. I get a lot more annoyed knowing things about films than I do games, and spoiling one of the few series I don't want to get spoiled on is a berserk button.

arue

Guys I found this video about whether the SEES members can sing or not.

FeMC's voice is wonderful. Now I am sad that she's most likely won't be in PQ :(

And LOL at the Koromaru one.

Top Bottom