• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PyMRqrc.png

FluxWaveZ

Final comment on P4A's story, but I've enjoyed how it's handled in the manga. I feel that a lot of the reason for P4A's narrative mishaps was because of how it was structured in the game.

Edit: Which is why I think I'd like to see an anime interpretation of the first game as well.

PK Gaming

The P4A manga is legitimately awesome

They way it handled some of the fights (Yu vs Yosuke in particular) was spectacular

And it follows the best story path ♪

FluxWaveZ

And it follows the best story path ♪

Sure, but it's also about the fact that it doesn't only follow the perspective of a single character and their inner thoughts, but shows everything that's going on in general.

It's good to not just be restricted to a single character's story. Wonder if volume 3 released yesterday is the end.

Random pic:

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
I won't write at length because I obviously just did a two-hour podcast (thanks for having me, guys! Super fun!), but knowing how Labrys' accent is distinct in Japanese, I actually really like how they handled her voice in the English version. While I mostly speak the standard dialect from Tokyo, Labrys speaks the one that's near and dear to my heart having lived around it, and that's Kansai-ben, which is what you hear down near Osaka. Kansai-ben is a really fun dialect because the expressions and whatnot are a lot more lively than your standard Japanese and it's just, for lack of a better way to articulate, a bit more colorful and down-to-earth than standard Japanese, which can be pretty cold and straightforward and times. The problem from a translation perspective is that the ways that dialects like Kansai-ben are different from standard Japanese is different from how, say, British or Australian English to American English; I won't get into technical stuff, but you're changing up aspects of Japanese grammar and how you formulate them that you don't see often in different dialects for Western languages. The end effect is that it sounds basically like a different accent to Japanese natives, but you have to be careful about which accent you pick if you go that route in English because different accents evoke different images and stereotypes in people who don't speak with them.

The way many translators approach this in the States if they actually try to preserve the accented nature of it all is to go with a boilerplate southern American accent. It's different enough from the neutral midwestern one that's considered the norm for broadcast television and whatnot. Not to offend anyone from the south if they're in this thread, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that southern accents tend to get a bad rap as belonging mostly to uneducated, ignorant, low-income people that society by and large doesn't take seriously. There are obviously plenty of smart and intelligent people from the south, but that image still persists and there are lots of stories of celebrities from southern states who worked really hard to shake off that accent to get rid of the stereotype. So going that route isn't worth it just because it might bring unwarranted labels to Labrys' character with English speaking audiences that weren't actually present in the original Japanese, regardless of the actual quality of her character. Furthermore, the typical colloquialisms that a lot of southerners use don't really mesh up in meaning with how people speak in Kansai-ben, which further complicates the issue. Labrys' character has to irrevocably change at least a little in keeping an accented aspect in English, but they key is finding a dialect and accent that evokes similar feelings in English as the original Japanese did for those players.

So in my personal opinion, a northeastern US accent (I think the Internet managed to determine it might have been very specifically a New Jersey one and not purely a Bostonian one?) is really as good as it might get for her character. There are stereotypes associated with it as there are every accent, but those stereotypes, the images they conjure up, and again, the manner of speech fit Labrys' Japanese dialog pretty naturally. As a result, you understand that Labrys is a pretty straightforward, blunt person who speaks her mind as people often are do with Kansai-ben, she has a unique sense of humor and worldview compared to the characters speaking more "conventional" English/Japanese, and that the way she articulates herself and her slang are very unusual and distinct compared to what everyone else is used to, which, again, is very much so a part of the original Japanese script.

Obviously in terms of the actual sound of her voice and the talent behind it, opinions are going to vary, but I just thought I'd chime in as a translator and try to point out some of the logic that I think went into developing her character that way for the English release. As a translator myself, it's definitely a very unusual take, but I really enjoyed the end results. The few occasions where I've had to write some bits for her have been really enjoyable as a result, since I've been made to research that side of American English.

(Edit: Never mind, I totally wrote at length. Well, too late to stop crossing that bridge!)

Sophia

I won't write at length because I obviously just did a two-hour podcast....

<four paragraphs wall o text>

(Edit: Never mind, I totally wrote at length. Well, too late to stop crossing that bridge!)

Yeah I was gonna say.... :D

The part about Labrys being straightforward is pretty interesting, given the usual stereotypes of the New Jersey/Northeastern region that are are generally just that. It's a really good match.

Squire

Banned
I'm sure someone will know if I'm wrong, but didn't Shinji's buddy from Evangelion also have a Kansai dialect? He has a Brooklyn accent in the dub.

So, yeah.

Also, I thought buddha had pointed out Labby-chan's accent as Long Island, but I guess that's pretty damn close to Jersey.

Lunar15

Seven Sisters logo represents the Pleiades star cluster, which is known as "The Seven Sisters".

The japanese name for Pliades is "Subaru", which...

subaru-logo.jpg

The Car Logo theory holds weight, my friends.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Seven Sisters logo represents the Pleiades star cluster, which is known as "The Seven Sisters".

subaru-logo.jpg

ooooo I forgot about that lol

subaru-logo.jpg

I was about to say.

Nah, seriously? In-game advertising. :O

Maybe not so seriously...

FluxWaveZ

Advance ticket + theme song CD for the second movie.

Hell of an advance ticket.

Well, depends on when they start selling it, if it isn't immediately.

Edit: If I'm seeing the Jika-Net website correctly, it seems people who want it need to pre-order it and the deadline for pre-orders is March 15.

Top Bottom