• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Squire

Banned
They'll probably do one, but it will be bad. Atlus don't do good CEs. Just look at the Solid Gold edition of P4G.

Most publishers don't do good CEs. The last two I genuinely considered good were for FFXIII-2 (which isn't a good game, so that's moot) and Tomb Raider. To me, the best CEs include merchandise you're likely to purchase as a fan. A detailed statue, a full art book, a complete OST. The best CE gives you two of those things (or all of them) with the game allowing you to get it all at a discount from what you'd pay buying it all separately.

So it's obvious why it doesn't happen very often at all.

Dantis

Most publishers don't do good CEs. The last two I genuinely considered good were for FFXIII-2 (which isn't a good game, so that's moot) and Tomb Raider. To me, the best CEs include merchandise you're likely to purchase as a fan. A detailed statue, a full art book, a complete OST. The best CE gives you two of those things (or all of them) with the game allowing you to get it all at a discount from what you'd pay buying it all separately.

So it's obvious why it doesn't happen very often at all.

every ce that offers a 'full art book' is almost certainly fucking lying these days

fuck 'em

I direct your joint attention to the Witcher 2 CE.

It was a doozie.

Ubisoft do good CEs too, though I never buy them.

i believe in dantis-kun

I do too, buddy.

Squire

Banned
I direct your joint attention to the Witcher 2 CE.

It was a doozie.

Ubisoft do good CEs too, though I never buy them.

They do do pretty good with theirs, don't they? Too bad I don't like any of their games enough to get one. I'd get FFX HDs and maybe even FFXIVs if they weren't exclusive to SEs store.

Btw, any of you besides Sophia play/plan on playing FFXIV? I enjoyed my past day and 1/2 with the beta. Pretty hyped for the full thing. Seems like SE Japan's best console game in years.

MSMrRound

Catherine had a pretty unique CE.

As long as it isn't the bib and curry bowl from the Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God...that's...definitely one of the most unique LE/CE I have ever seen (I don't see myself paying for it though...)

In recent memory...I thought XSEED's Ys: Memories of Celceta Silver Anniversary Edition was pretty awesome. Definitely didn't feel any cognitive dissonance about that particular purchase of mine.

Dantis

Unique, but bad.

It was comical, but the stuff it came with was tacky as heck.

They do do pretty good with theirs, don't they? Too bad I don't like any of their games enough to get one. I'd get FFX HDs and maybe even FFXIVs if they weren't exclusive to SEs store.

Btw, any of you besides Sophia play/plan on playing FFXIV? I enjoyed my past day and 1/2 with the beta. Pretty hyped for the full thing. Seems like SE Japan's best console game in years.

No interest in XIV, but I'm getting X HD. Pretty excited for it too.

Meia

They'll probably do one, but it will be bad. Atlus don't do good CEs. Just look at the Solid Gold edition of P4G.

What the fuck am I reading? The skin was great in that it also functions as a screen protector, the black case that fits to it is also pretty good, and the yellow case is also damn good too. Some of us only bought a Vita for the game, so if you didn't have any of these probably necessary peripherals, you had to go out and buy them instead. That they're P4 themed is icing on the cake. I mean, yeah, the stickers are stickers, but honestly I've seen faaaaar worse CEs.

ajim

There you are wrong she's not even the clostest to being the most attractive, no offense

Brofist. Marie's design is awful.

Possibly the worst thing about her.

Probably the worst thing. As soon as
she changes costumes, I tend to like her more.

Worse than the poems?

Oh. I don't know. That's a tough one.

Definitely, while some of the poems were downright indescribably bad, others were bearable.

Yeah, her poetry is awful but she still looks like 1985 rejected her for being too Alternative.

Are you sure about that

She looks like a fashion show reject.

Whilst I do appreciate the um.. healthy Marie conversation after being starved some for so long, I find it quite disheartening that she is so disliked on Persona Gaf. I know she will never, ever be a massive waifu for most people, but goddamn... The hate is so unwarranted.

I don't understand how anyone can think her design is awful. No one hates on Kanji for looking like a 'fashion show reject out of the 80s'!

She is gorgeous. And maybe I find crazy chicks more attractive than the stock-standard boring chicks, maybe thats why she appeals to me.

I hope Marie flourishes in the Persona universe in the future and she becomes more loved.

Dantis

What the fuck am I reading? The skin was great in that it also functions as a screen protector, the black case that fits to it is also pretty good, and the yellow case is also damn good too. Some of us only bought a Vita for the game, so if you didn't have any of these probably necessary peripherals, you had to go out and buy them instead. That they're P4 themed is icing on the cake. I mean, yeah, the stickers are stickers, but honestly I've seen faaaaar worse CEs.

The skin was a preorder bonus.

And two cases is a shitty collector's edition.

Whilst I do appreciate the um.. healthy Marie conversation after being starved some for so long, I find it quite disheartening that she is so disliked on Persona Gaf. I know she will never, ever be a massive waifu for most people, but goddamn... The hate is so unwarranted.

I don't understand how anyone can think her design is awful. No one hates on Kanji for looking like a 'fashion show reject out of the 80s'!

She is gorgeous. And maybe I find crazy chicks more attractive than the stock-standard boring chicks, maybe thats why she appeals to me.

I hope Marie flourishes in the Persona universe in the future and she becomes more loved.

Oh my.

I don't hate her, I even defend her, but you will find the hate for her is not a PersonaGAF exclusive thing, she is hated everywhere, in every English speaking Persona community at least. She is rather unpopular at the least, and even her more adamant fans agree that they did some big mistakes with her still. Especially to people who played Persona 4 before Persona 4 Golden, she will feel shoe horned in.

Meia

The skin was a preorder bonus.

And two cases is a shitty collector's edition.

Aww yeah, forgot about the skin.

You may not like the cases, but the CE wasn't exactly a $100 one either. Physical copy of the game + buying cases like that = the cost of what the CE was anyway, and they both had a P4 theme to them.

I mean, it'd be nice for them to have like a soundtrack like they sometimes do, but there's not exactly many new tracks in Golden for them to do it, especially considering they sell a real OST for the game too.

Sophia

She certainly looks pretty
in the ending when she drops the silly mismatched outfit. I dunno about the rest of the time....

Squire

Banned

This would work perfectly as a post about Lightning.

Squire

Banned
I feel bad calling ANY Persona character Lightning Tier

Nah, I'm not comparing Marie to Light. I'm talking about the fans.

Try to have an argument about Lightning with a Lightning fan; you'll very quickly find you each are clearly having a different conversation. Her detractors decry her character. Her supporters constantly remark that she's beautiful - as though that's an actual counterpoint.

Sophia

They're really not. The main four lead characters were reasonably likeable, particularly Megumi and guy who looked a bit like Vincent whose name I have forgotten.

I actually quite like the cast of Persona Trinity Soul. They're decent characters stuck in an unfortunate anime.

And his name is Takuro.

cj_iwakura

Unique, yes. Desirable, no. And I say that as someone who owns two copies of the game.

I like having a full art book and OST. And while XIII-2 did include the entire OST, the 'artbook' was crap. It only had a few pictures of backgrounds and world design, no cast concept art or anything. Catherine's tiny art book was better.

The problem is that Japanese devs aren't going to give away something for free, when they still want to sell it as a separate product(Catherine having full OSTs and artbooks for sale, for instance).

Omikaru

They're really not. The main four lead characters were reasonably likeable, particularly Megumi and guy who looked a bit like Vincent whose name I have forgotten.

Yup.

The anime sucks, but I liked some of the individual characters. I wouldn't object if Trinity Soul was completely disowned and the main 4 characters, plus a select few others, were used in a game (that was actually good) at some point.

Also, to jump back into the last topic, Marie sucks. P4G Marie story spoilers:
If I wasn't going for a complete s.link run next time I play P4, I'd make sure was erased from history.

Blegh. I really dislike her.

I plan on buying the collectors edition for all the new persona games, providing they all get the special treatment.

the special edition for Arena in the uk was disgraceful, especially for the price.

hohoXD123

Yeah, I thought her character was great too, can't understand the negative views on here.

We are guaranteed more puzzles!

When i first saw the the link to the reveal video, i was so hyped. Then i saw what was inside the CE and raised my left eyebrow. Then i saw the price and was like, HELLL NOOOOOOO.

Honestly, i would have been happy with just an artbook, figure, etc. Luckily, I got the Rise vinyl cd for free, so it weren't to bad. :)

Lunar15

A lot of people here started with vanilla, so Marie is jarring and foreign to the experience. I haven't played Golden so I can't comment on it myself.

But hey, you follow your dreams. Some people here hate Yosuke, and that's pretty weird too!

Dantis

Yup.

The anime sucks, but I liked some of the individual characters. I wouldn't object if Trinity Soul was completely disowned and the main 4 characters, plus a select few others, were used in a game (that was actually good) at some point.

Also, to jump back into the last topic, Marie sucks. P4G Marie story spoilers:
If I wasn't going for a complete s.link run next time I play P4, I'd make sure was erased from history.

Blegh. I really dislike her.

Yup. Great Soejima designs in Trinity Soul too.
I plan on buying the collectors edition for all the new persona games, providing they all get the special treatment.

the special edition for Arena in the uk was disgraceful, especially for the price.

You're from the UK? Too bad. :/

Fortunately the game wasn't very good anyway.

Yeah, I thought her character was great too, can't understand the negative views on here.

Just means you're wrong too!

A lot of people here started with vanilla, so Marie is jarring and foreign to the experience. I haven't played Golden so I can't comment on it myself.

But hey, you follow your dreams. Some people here hate Yosuke, and that's pretty weird too!

You haven't played Golden? Did not know that.

LX_Theo

Banned

As a person who only has played Golden, she wasn't jarring to me. She was just another social link that had ties to main story. I'd agree that there was wasted potential there between incorporating her into the main story and such, but not nearly enough to warrant her inclusion as bad or jarring.

Everyone's going to have a different opinion, though.

kewlmyc

So you like her because she's pretty? That's perfectly okay. However it's also okay for people to hate on her since looks aren't all to a character. Describe how likable she is without describing her looks and it becomes challenging. Inorigo's comparison to Lighting is spot on.

You're from the UK? Too bad. :/

Fortunately the game wasn't very good anyway.

Oi, watch it. :)

I loved Arena. It's one of my favorite fighters from last gen. Then again, fighting games are my favorite genre in general.

The story in Arena however...................Yeahhhhh, that was a struggle to play. I only finished Yu and Yukiko's story, then gave up.

"Hopefully" with SEGA owning Atlus, the UK won't suffer its usual persona fate.

LX_Theo

Banned
So you like her because she's pretty? That's perfectly okay. However it's also okay for people to hate on her since looks aren't all to a character. Describe how likable she is without describing her looks and it becomes challenging. Inorigo's comparison to Lighting is spot on.
I don't think you read what he said. He said he like how looks in response to people complaining about her design. There was nothing suggesting that was the primary reason. Actually, the sentence right after was more enlightening on why he likes her than what you seemed to latch onto.

kewlmyc

I don't think you read what he said. He said he like how looks in response to people complaining about her design. There was nothing suggesting that was the primary reason. Actually, the sentence right after was more enlightening on why he likes her than what you seemed to latch onto.
My apologies to you both then.

Dantis

I was looking through my copy of Venus Mode earlier, and it always amazes me how good the art is in it. I've said it before, but I'd like it if Persona 5's characters were proportioned more like Catherine's. I don't think it'll happen, but I appreciate the more mature look.

Oi, watch it. :)

I loved Arena. It's one of my favorite fighters from last gen. Then again, fighting games are my favorite genre in general.

The story in Arena however...................Yeahhhhh, that was a struggle to play. I only finished Yu and Yukiko's story, then gave up.

"Hopefully" with SEGA owning Atlus, the UK won't suffer its usual persona fate.

Someone is going to tell you how you should play Labrys' story in Arena because it's actually really good, now you've said that.

Don't believe their lies.

Sadly it looks like Zen will be publishing Arena 2 again..

Oh, hell no. I don't want them going anywhere near Arena 2. Hopefully, the US version is region free.

Someone is going to tell you how you should play Labrys' story in Arena because it's actually really good, now you've said that.

Don't believe their lies.

Ha, my brother banned me from playing anymore of Arena's story until ive played and finished Persona 3.

Lunar15

You haven't played Golden? Did not know that.

Fun Fact: I actually own it but haven't taken the plunge. I hadn't expected to get a Vita, so I spoiled myself on most of the new content when it came out, but I hardly think that will matter.

I'm debating whether I actually want to play it this year or deprive myself of mainline persona in order to be hungry when P5 comes out.

I've said it before, but I'd like it if Persona 5's characters were proportioned more like Catherine's. I don't think it'll happen, but I appreciate the more mature look.

On the contrary, I think it's a good possibility. Maybe not exactly like Catherine's models, since it's a different engine, but Hashino's already remarked that he wants characters to be a little more life like with the new engine.

I was with you until you dissed Kanji. Unacceptable

What's with all the hate towards Marie? I haven't played golden yet, so I cant personally say. But from my experience with Persona 4 on the PS2, I found all the characters to be very likable.

I would have assumed the same would be true for Marie also?

Top Bottom