• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

cj_iwakura

Because we have virtually zero concrete information about Persona 5 where as Persona Q is shaping up to be the greatest old school RPG of all time. Also Persona Q has Aigis and Persona 5 doesn't.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's hard to care about a game that at this point doesn't exist. Lemme know when we see some gameplay.

It's harder not to care about anything Hashino's team do. Catherine was that good.

CorvoSol

So in terms of excitement:

PQ > P4D > P5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> P4AU

Because PQ is coming out this year and I actually have seen elements of P4D, however few. I'm excited for P5, but years of abuse at the hands of Square Enix has given me battered spouse issues where I worry that if I become excited for a console JRPG it might be my fault it doesn't turn out great.

I haven't even played P4A yet so of course I'm not excited for P4AU.

It's harder not to care about anything Hashino's team do. Catherine was that good.

Yes Hashino's team is good, but like Sophia said until we see some footage for game we can't really get excited for it, because to be honest I can't get excited about a game that is only a screenshot of five chairs with chains to the legs with nothing else to go by.

And plus all we have to go off right now is very minute pieces of information right now, nothing really concrete, so it's really hard to judge whether the game is good or not. That's why a lot of us are waiting until we see something from ATLUS about that, we don't know what P-Studio has in store for P5, you don't know, I don't know, Sophia doesn't know, Levito doesn't know, and everyone else in PersonaGAF doesn't know about what will P5 be like until ATLUS gives more substantial information. So until we see something, I just can't give an opinion about it one way or the other.

EDIT: Okay the first sentence I do take back now about Catherine now that I thought about it for few minutes, I'm gonna get excited about the game when we see more info,

FluxWaveZ

Iwakura, I'm gonna be honest with you. Just because Catherine was good, doesn't have any meaning at this point and time for P5.

Yes it does. It means they have a precedent of making quality games that he is into, setting an expectation that he will enjoy the subsequent games the team develops.

what Persona games are you all looking forward to?

Ranks them in order of most anticipated.
P4AU>PQ>P5>>>>>P4D

P4D just isn't looking like my kind of thing honestly. Not hating, just not hype.
So how is P5 NOT the top spot for anyone? Is it just because its so far off? Does having established characters just flare up your anticipation more? Or... something else?
Well we have no real footage to go off of, all we've seen is chairs :p
Once Ultimax comes out, we need to do a PersonaGaf Tournament.

I'll have to import it, as I live in the UK. Knowing our luck, we'll get it by 2090.
Pray that it won't be region locked. Pray hard.

I wonder if they'll use new voice actors for the cast in P5.

I dunno if it will bother me hearing yosuke's, chie's, yukiko's etc voice on a new set of characters.

Then again it didn't bother me when i played Catherine, so who knows. .

Acid08

Banned
Iwakura, I'm gonna be honest with you. Just because Catherine was good, doesn't have any meaning at this point and time for P5. Yes Hashino's team is good, but like Sophia said until we see some footage for game we can't really get excited for it, because to be honest I can't get excited about a game that is only a screenshot of five chairs with chains to the legs with nothing else to go by.

And plus all we have to go off right now is very minute pieces of information right now, nothing really concrete, so it's really hard to judge whether the game is good or not. That's why a lot of us are waiting until we see something from ATLUS about that, we don't know what P-Studio has in store for P5, you don't know, I don't know, Sophia doesn't know, Levito doesn't know, and everyone else in PersonaGAF doesn't know about what will P5 be like until ATLUS gives more substantial information. So until we see something, I just can't give an opinion about it one way or the other.
This post is entirely devoid of emotion. It's Persona 5 and it's exciting as fuck and fuck yeah motherfucker I'm STOKED.

Sophia

Yes it does. It means they have a precedent of making quality games that he is into, setting an expectation that he will enjoy the subsequent games the team develops.

Having anything more than casual expectations for something that doesn't exist at this point is silly. Obviously you have some idea of what to expect in terms of quality, but there isn't any game there yet.

On the other hand, I can see Persona Q. I know what it'll be about and how it plays. It actually has a firm release date. Therefore, I care about it more.

FluxWaveZ

Having anything more than casual expectations for something that doesn't exist at this point is silly. Obviously you have some idea of what to expect in terms of quality, but there isn't any game there yet.

On the other hand, I can see Persona Q. I know what it'll be about and how it plays. It actually has a firm release date. Therefore, I care about it more.

We're not talking about anticipating the game's contents, we're talking about anticipating the game itself. It's fine if you require seeing content to be anticipated, but don't put down anyone else's excitement that they only require a dev teams history plus brand to be excited by calling it "silly." That's just insulting and absolutely uncalled for.

LX_Theo

Banned

Yet the unknown leaves so many more possibility. So much more to guess at and hope for. Honestly, at this point its easier to get more excited than later.

Not that I ever let that sort of excited cloud my judgement, but its easy to see why it could be more anticipated than other games by that alone. Having nothing really tangible can just as easily get a person excited, so its not that big of a factor.

Sophia

We're not talking about anticipating the game's contents, we're talking about anticipating the game itself. It's fine if you require seeing content to be anticipated, but don't put down anyone else's excitement that they only require a dev teams history plus brand to be excited by calling it "silly." That's just insulting and absolutely uncalled for.

If you insist. There's still nothing to anticipate about the game itself. In all honesty I'm rather bitter that the game is so far out despite a five year wait for it to be announced.

Yet the unknown leaves so many more possibility. So much more to guess at and hope for. Honestly, at this point its easier to get more excited than later.

Not that I ever let that sort of excited cloud my judgement, but its easy to see why it could be more anticipated than other games by that alone. Having nothing really tangible can just as easily get a person excited, so its not that big of a factor.

We've gone through every single piece of speculation possible at this point, pretty much. There's a point where you need to bring your expectations back into reality, or you'll end up disappointed.

I'll play and lose first round, for sure!

I have a pretty solid Yu, Yukiko and Chie. I also have a decent Akihiko and Aigis. Hopefully that will see me through.

If they announce Adachi as a playable character, then im dropping everyone and will only use him. :)

In regards to Persona 5, i agree its hard to get overhyped for something we haven't seen yet. Those chairs were pretty nice though. :)

LX_Theo

Banned
We've gone through every single piece of speculation possible at this point, pretty much. There's a point where you need to bring your expectations back into reality, or you'll end up disappointed.
Oh, calm down. Its nothing so pointless. You're taking the concept and imagining it only in the extreme and most negative way possible.

CorvoSol

On the one hand, this is how I feel.

On the other hand, the horrific cult of FFXV makes me wonder about this. People on GAF have been saying for years that Noctis is their favorite video game character.

I don't even how that a can possible be thing.

Sophia

On the other hand, the horrific cult of FFXV makes me wonder about this. People on GAF have been saying for years that Noctis is their favorite video game character.

I don't even how that a can possible be thing.

I can kind of understand the Noctis thing. There's a decent amount of info about him and he's pretty cool as far as Final Fantasy protagonists go (plus he's hot!) But like with Persona 5, until they showed off the awesome E3 footage trailer, I was pretty indifferent to that game too.

CorvoSol

I can kind of understand the Noctis thing. There's a decent amount of info about him and he's pretty cool as far as Final Fantasy protagonists go (plus he's hot!) But like with Persona 5, until they showed off the awesome E3 footage trailer, I was pretty indifferent to that game too.

But even well before that trailer there were people obsessed with FF15. Ever since the premier trailer for it there have been folks that way.

Lunar15

I agree that there's no reason to be all that hyped based on what little we've seen. All we have to go on is the pedigree.

This is why I have no idea why anyone is interested in XV yet.

hao chi

So how is P5 NOT the top spot for anyone? Is it just because its so far off? Does having established characters just flare up your anticipation more? Or... something else?

I'm more excited for Ultimax because of the following reasons:

While the Investigation Team portion of Arena's story wasn't too interesting, the game ended with a few big cliffhangers that have my interest.

I love Arena as a fighting game, and a new version with new characters, changes to existing characters, and the amazing soundtrack (plus all the other changes and additions) is very appealing to me.

Then as you said, P5 is pretty far off and I know nothing about it other than there's chairs but that probably doesn't mean Kanji is the main character.

So I'd say for me it's: Ultimax > P5 > PQ > Dancing All Night

CorvoSol

I agree that there's no reason to be all that hyped based on what little we've seen. All we have to go on is the pedigree.

This is why I have no idea why anyone is interested in XV yet.

Well the trailers demonstrate Square still knows how to make a good trailer, but the pedigree is the only other thing XV really has at the moment. I mean, Shimomura, Nomura and Tabata teaming up could only be made better if they brought in an actual story writer and got Yoshida to do the art, but until I actually see the game in action, I can't allow myself to get hyped for FF anymore.

Sophia

I actually ranked Dancing All Night the lowest for similar reasons: It's a music/rhythm game, yet we've heard no music beyond the initial trailer. I bet once I hear Daisuke Asakura's remix, I'll be hyped.

CorvoSol

I actually ranked Dancing All Night the lowest for similar reasons: It's a music/rhythm game, yet we've heard no music beyond the initial trailer. I bet once I hear Daisuke Asakura's remix, I'll be hyped.

Yeah but that one I ranked high because the concept is just dumb enough to make me really excited for it.

Lunar15

Am I weird in saying that my main hype point is wanting to see all of the characters in those higher res and higher quality models?

TWILT

Banned
In terms of hype for me, it's Ultimax > PQ > P5 > DAN

I love fighting games, and I'm really looking forward to trying out the new characters/check out some of the new changes. Shadow characters are an interesting mix and I'm looking forward to see how P4A's story continues.

PQ is up there since I love this kinda fanservice and what's been shown has been really good. Not tooooo big on dungeon crawlers, but still looking forward to it regardless.

P5 is 3rd place if only because we haven't even seen barely anything at all. I'm sure my interest will rise for it as more info is shown.

DAN's last because, well, I don't care for these type of games that much. :p Will probably pick it up though since I love Persona.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah but that one I ranked high because the concept is just dumb enough to make me really excited for it.
Yup. The story concept sounds fucking crazy and I do love me a good rhythm game.

Am I weird in saying that my main hype point is wanting to see all of the characters in those higher res and higher quality models?
Also this. Only time we're ever going to see those characters at a higher fidelity.

Hype order for me:

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

tumblr_mbr4kbovCt1qf8btso1_400.gif

BringIt.gif

Past

When does Persona 3 story pick up? I swear I keep quitting the game after 5-6 hours of play time, I think the furthest I got was a bit after defeating the train boss. I was hook on Persona 4: Golden within 2 hours, but Persona 3 really isn't doing it for me. ._.

When does Persona 3 story pick up? I swear I keep quitting the game after 5-6 hours of play time, I think the furthest I got was a bit after defeating the train boss. I was hook on Persona 4: Golden within 2 hours, but Persona 3 really isn't doing it for me. ._.
I'm 40 hours in and I have no idea.

Acid08

Banned
It's pretty mellow for a long time and then EVERYTHING HAPPENS.

Gazoinks

My hype for PQ will increase dramatically if it lets you draw maps, but I doubt it.

This was vaguely confirmed in the announcement post. Someone asked John Hardin about a Vita port and he said something along the lines of "The traditional Etrian Odyssey map drawing mechanic wouldn't really work on a single screen...". Implies it'll be in at least.

CorvoSol

Well if you count Yukari and Junpei's friendship problem June Festival as "picking up" then June.

Otherwise I dunno. July has given me some plot development, and the July Dungeon was a nice change of pace from Tarter Saucezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Top Bottom