• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

I love 3 & 4 as much as the next person, but I would like some stuff from 1 & 2 too.

And again, very few people actually care. You're not talking about the studio's respect anymore but your personal preference, and that's fine, but the fact is most fans of Persona these days do not care about Persona 1 or Persona 2, so putting in the time and effort to appeal to those who'd get a kick out of modern P1 or P2 works is probably not worth it.

Sophia

My personal opinion regarding the end scene of the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax trailer (P4 spoilerz!):
If he's playable, all bets are off and the statute of limitations is up, because it's simply not practical to discuss the game and keep spoiler tagging his name. If he's not playable, then he should stay under spoiler tags.

The Tanaka S Link is amazing. That's the same as in FeMC's route though, right?

It's more or less the same. There are some minor differences because you're playing as a girl however.

Squire

Banned
If you go into a sequel thread, I think spoilers from the first game are open season if there's some major continuity in the story.

In here though, I can't imagine a point when it would be okay to not mark the culprit from P4. Even after Ultimax is out, I don't think.

That's debatable.

Because no one cares.

Harsh truth.

This. Except for a handful of crazy people, no one actually cares.

Brutal.

The talk about respect is silly. Did Hashino not already acknowledge that they're not his games? Keeping it real like that - that's about as respectful as it gets. Trying to work in overt references to P2 and play songs at concerts when they know by and large most people don't care isn't respect. It would be them being unrealistic about where those games stand, wasting their time appealing to an audience that exists, but only just that, if you catch my drift.

I could live with P1/P2 never being revisited again, just give me P2: EPP

PLEASE

No.

Sorry. :'(

My personal opinion regarding the end scene of the Persona 4 Arena Ultimax trailer (P4 spoilerz!):
If he's playable, all bets are off and the statute of limitations is up, because it's simply not practical to discuss the game and keep spoiler tagging his name. If he's not playable, then he should stay under spoiler tags.

^This. If he remains a plot element only then he'll continue to be treated as such. Not going to spoiler a playable character though.

fertygo

Devil Summoner does it, Shin Megami Tensei does it, why can't Persona?

Does Hashino referencing anything about the older game when he touching Nocturne?
IIRC he also incredibly reluctant answering if Catherine exist in same universe as Persona or not.

Maybe that's just the guy thing.

Nachos

Hi, everyone! First time posting here, but I only just recently beat Persona 4 Golden, so I wasn’t super comfortable posting here until I did so. Unfortunately, I only learned of this series and gave it a proper shot just recently, because all of the promotional material made me think it was for immature kids. I’m not sure at what point everyone is in their life, but I’ve long since abandoned high school as of three years ago (I also have the beard to prove it). Gone are the days of lounging around playing video games, instead replaced by days of lounging around playing mature video games in which I can freely utter such sophisticated words as “fuck” and “fucking shitballs” with impunity. That said, despite my most sophisticated and mature college background, I decided to give this dreck a legitimate try after finding it in the Babys R Us bargain bin. It took me a while to beat it, though, because I ditched it when I found out that 3 had guns and was more hardcore. Man, why is 4 so kiddie?

To be honest, my absolute favorite character is Marie, though. I know I said I was above that high school nonsense, but Marie just spoke to me, man. Whenever I entered the Velvet room, my heart started racing when I realized there might be a chance to hear more of her beautiful poetry, her sweet words enticing me into the deep, dark, mature recesses of her soul. She didn’t concern herself with the issues that a lame high school lout would – her world was that of a sophisticated woman, her troubles both captivating and moving. When she said what her favorite flavors of tea were, I found myself shaking my head – vertically, mind you – and wishing I knew more flavors of tea than just “brown.” I loved this woman – even though she was made of pixels on the opposite side of the screen, I quickly found myself wishing I could be a Persona user who could reach through the screen and just pull her out of those confines and into the real world. Maybe then we could live together in some place like Paris (or one that looks like it), and she could dye her hair pink.

However, this was not at all the end of my “conversion.” I quickly found myself frustrated with the shortcomings of the English language and its inability to convey the profound adoration and warmth I harbored for her. However, there was one word native to the Japanese language I found which conveys it cleanly and concisely: “waifu.” And so, I am happy to announce that Marie-chan is, indeed, my waifu, and mine alone. However, I would not be so remiss as to stop there. I have discovered that the devils at Atlus USA have not only altered the words she uses in the original Japanese version, but have altered her voice and inserted words that she never said – all because us Westerners simply wouldn’t understand it. Never mind the fact that you would understand her if you listened with your soul, and that she courteously inserted English into her Japanese diction for the Westerners to follow along anyway (bless her heart).

At first, I was angry at this revelation, but I am not so callow as to scorn my beloved over this – I am, in fact, rock-solid with this commitment (get your minds out of the gutter – this is my pure waifu I’m talking about here). So now, though I originally did not deign to do so, I now intend to devote my entire life to fostering the bond between me and her – our social link, if you will. This profound dedication of mind - ours - knows no bounds; thus, I shall endeavor to decipher the meaning of her words, and time further still to unravel the meaning behind her poetry. Though I must admit that I initially failed to understand her, I place this culpability solely upon my own shoulders. The machinations of her mind are most certainly beyond me, though this is clearly a reflection of my own Plebian mind - and it shall be corrected, I assure you all.

The hardest of all journeys begins with but a single step; mine begins when my wall scroll arrives in the mail next week.

(I'm not sure if anyone new has joined PGAF in the three or so weeks I've been away, but a preemptive [and late] welcome to you all!)

Omikaru

I think everyone entering the thread should be covered in bubblewrap, and the entire contents of posts should be spoiler tagged just in case we hurt someone's precious feelings.

Honestly, I think the playable character + "statute of limitations" on spoilers argument probably holds the most weight. At some point we're just going to have to assume that people have played a certain number of games and/or are comfortable with the spoilers from said games.

That's debatable.
Brutal.

The talk about respect is silly. Did Hashino not already acknowledge that they're not his games? Keeping it real like that - that's about as respectful as it gets. Trying to work in overt references to P2 and play songs at concerts when they know by and large most people don't care isn't respect. It would be them being unrealistic about where those games stand, wasting their time appealing to an audience that exists, but only just that, if you catch my drift.

You say that and I'll say this, if your having a Persona concert it should be a celebration of the whole series not just P3 & P4. And don't say they couldn't use any of the music back then because of it not being usable as concert music. They're is a good amount of music from the older games they could use Maya's theme, The Snow Queen, Deadline, Time Castle, Map themes, heck even the PSP remake music too. It doesn't need to be about it completely but mixing in a couple tracks into the rest of the concert wouldn't hurt them.

Sophia

It should?

For what it's worth, they've done Persona 1 PSP music before. Also the Satomi Tadashi theme too. Many of the concerts are themed around whatever they're releasing at the moment (See: 2012 concert being P4 focused and the 2013 concert having a lot of P3 music.)

Sophia

Speaking of P1, how many years prior to P3 is it? I know P3 is like, 2-3 years prior to P4, so I was just wondering on that.

Shin Megami Tensei If is a year before Persona 1. Persona 1 is three years before Persona 2, and Persona 2 is 10/11 years before Persona 3.

Speaking of P1, how many years prior to P3 is it? I know P3 is like, 2-3 years prior to P4, so I was just wondering on that.

SMT If... 1995
Persona 1: 1996
Persona 2 Innocent Sin: 1999/2000
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: 2000
Persona 3: 2009/2010
Persona 4: 2011/2012
Persona 4 Arena: 2012
Persona 4 Ultimax: 2012

correct me if im wrong

CorvoSol

Shin Megami Tensei If is a year before Persona 1. Persona 1 is three years before Persona 2, and Persona 2 is 10/11 years before Persona 3.

So working backwards, Persona 2 is approximately 1998, meaning P1 is 1995ish, and SMTI is '94ish?

So as of P4's sequels, the cast of Persona 1 is what, 30ish?

Sophia

SMT If... 1995
Persona 1: 1996
Persona 2 Innocent Sin: 1999/2000
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: 2000
Persona 3: 2009/2010
Persona 4: 2011/2012
Persona 4 Arena: 2012
Persona 4 Ultimax: 2012

correct me if im wrong

You are mostly correct, except Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment occur the same year (1999) and not even Atlus is sure what year Persona 3 takes place. Some sources put it at 2009-2010, others put it at 2010-2011.

CorvoSol

You are mostly correct, except Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment occur the same year and not even Atlus is sure what year Persona 3 takes place. Some sources put it at 2009-2010, others put it at 2010-2011.

Wait, I'm almost positive P3P says 2009.

InFamy

Neo Member
So I just started Persona 2 for the first time and I spent WAY to much time searching the school. Something told me I should go back outside but I didn't think this game would send me all over the damn place haha.

PK Gaming

Hi, everyone! First time posting here, but I only just recently beat Persona 4 Golden, so I wasn’t super comfortable posting here until I did so. Unfortunately, I only learned of this series and gave it a proper shot just recently, because all of the promotional material made me think it was for immature kids. I’m not sure at what point everyone is in their life, but I’ve long since abandoned high school as of three years ago (I also have the beard to prove it). Gone are the days of lounging around playing video games, instead replaced by days of lounging around playing mature video games in which I can freely utter such sophisticated words as “fuck” and “fucking shitballs” with impunity. That said, despite my most sophisticated and mature college background, I decided to give this dreck a legitimate try after finding it in the Babys R Us bargain bin. It took me a while to beat it, though, because I ditched it when I found out that 3 had guns and was more hardcore. Man, why is 4 so kiddie?

To be honest, my absolute favorite character is Marie, though. I know I said I was above that high school nonsense, but Marie just spoke to me, man. Whenever I entered the Velvet room, my heart started racing when I realized there might be a chance to hear more of her beautiful poetry, her sweet words enticing me into the deep, dark, mature recesses of her soul. She didn’t concern herself with the issues that a lame high school lout would – her world was that of a sophisticated woman, her troubles both captivating and moving. When she said what her favorite flavors of tea were, I found myself shaking my head – vertically, mind you – and wishing I knew more flavors of tea than just “brown.” I loved this woman – even though she was made of pixels on the opposite side of the screen, I quickly found myself wishing I could be a Persona user who could reach through the screen and just pull her out of those confines and into the real world. Maybe then we could live together in some place like Paris (or one that looks like it), and she could dye her hair pink.

However, this was not at all the end of my “conversion.” I quickly found myself frustrated with the shortcomings of the English language and its inability to convey the profound adoration and warmth I harbored for her. However, there was one word native to the Japanese language I found which conveys it cleanly and concisely: “waifu.” And so, I am happy to announce that Marie-chan is, indeed, my waifu, and mine alone. However, I would not be so remiss as to stop there. I have discovered that the devils at Atlus USA have not only altered the words she uses in the original Japanese version, but have altered her voice and inserted words that she never said – all because us Westerners simply wouldn’t understand it. Never mind the fact that you would understand her if you listened with your soul, and that she courteously inserted English into her Japanese diction for the Westerners to follow along anyway (bless her heart).

At first, I was angry at this revelation, but I am not so callow as to scorn my beloved over this – I am, in fact, rock-solid with this commitment (get your minds out of the gutter – this is my pure waifu I’m talking about here). So now, though I originally did not deign to do so, I now intend to devote my entire life to fostering the bond between me and her – our social link, if you will. This profound dedication of mind - ours - knows no bounds; thus, I shall endeavor to decipher the meaning of her words, and time further still to unravel the meaning behind her poetry. Though I must admit that I initially failed to understand her, I place this culpability solely upon my own shoulders. The machinations of her mind are most certainly beyond me, though this is clearly a reflection of my own Plebian mind - and it shall be corrected, I assure you all.

The hardest of all journeys begins with but a single step; mine begins when my wall scroll arrives in the mail next week.

(I'm not sure if anyone new has joined PGAF in the three or so weeks I've been away, but a preemptive [and late] welcome to you all!)

Hahaha, you're a riot

---

How was your sabbatical from Neogaf? When you up and vanished we were worried. Are you doing ok?

You are mostly correct, except Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment occur the same year (1999) and not even Atlus is sure what year Persona 3 takes place. Some sources put it at 2009-2010, others put it at 2010-2011.

It's 2009 I just looked up the calendar thing from the game and it says 2009/2010

Meia

Seriously, I think those two toilet enemies are the hardest enemies in the game lol.

They were the Matador of the Persona series. Thought the game was easy the first time I played it, then those come the hell out of nowhere to ruin your day.

...I don't know what it says about the Persona series if the Matador of it are toilet demons tho. :p

:/

So how much older than the cast of P4 is the cast of P3?

2 or 3 years iirc. Not sure what it is without retcon.

I basically put it as the cast of P4 is all still in high school after the events of the game(they were no seniors, which was a weird choice), while at the end of P3 both Mitsuru and Akihiko graduate. So basically, the only one still in school in 3's cast is Ken, the rest are doing whatever they want to do/college(DARK AND EDGY).

Squire

Banned
You say that and I'll say this, if your having a Persona concert it should be a celebration of the whole series not just P3 & P4. And don't say they couldn't use any of the music back then because of it not being usable as concert music. They're is a good amount of music from the older games they could use Maya's theme, The Snow Queen, Deadline, Time Castle, Map themes, heck even the PSP remake music too. It doesn't need to be about it completely but mixing in a couple tracks into the rest of the concert wouldn't hurt them.

I'm not saying they're incapable of performing the music or that they don't have plenty of it. You don't understand.

No one cares.

And no one pays to go to concerts to hear music they don't care about. I think Atlus is smart enough to know if P1/2 fans are attending these things. Judging by the shows, they're not.

Caladrius

...I don't know what it says about the Persona series if the Matador of it are toilet demons tho. :p

Waifus and toilets don't mix.
Provided you're not a sick bastard.

And no one pays to go to concerts to hear music they don't care about. I think Atlus is smart enough to know if P1/2 fans are attending these things. Judging by the shows, they're not.

I didn't know they handed out post-concert surveys.

I don't disagree with the premise but that is not good evidence.

Bh1hsQ8CIAANbfl.jpg

Squire

Banned
Waifus and toilets don't mix.
Provided you're not a sick bastard.

I didn't know they handed out post-concert surveys.

I don't disagree with the premise but that is not good evidence.

*shrug* Like Red says: They have all those songs, so they can play them.

If those games had a larger presence in the fandom and it was clear lots of people wanted to hear them, they'd play them. Not sure what more you need.

Soriku

If those games had a larger presence in the fandom and it was clear lots of people wanted to hear them, they'd play them. Not sure what more you need.

The games (particularly 2) have great songs that easily rival P3/P4 but they won't play them :/ Sucks.

Just stopping by with an update on my newest art project-- I've completed the wallpapers for the Persona 3 cast (minus Elizabeth and Theodore who I will add once they get uploaded to the PQ site!):

Aigis:

Akihiko:

Fuuka:

Junpei:

Ken:

Koromaru:

Makoto:

Makoto (FeMC):

Mitsuru:

Shinjiro:

Yukari:

Going to take a break for a bit, then it's on to the Persona 4 cast-- enjoy, everybody! :D

Trigger

Just stopping by with an update on my newest art project-- I've completed the wallpapers for the Persona 3 cast (minus Elizabeth and Theodore who I will add once they get uploaded to the PQ site!):

Going to take a break for a bit, then it's on to the Persona 4 cast-- enjoy, everybody! :D

Oh, these are pretty damn cool.

Caladrius

The issue I see with it is that the concerts have been marketed as P3/P4 only from the start. There hasn't really been a move made to actually see if people would be receptive to the earlier games' music to begin with. The marketing and playlist are, as we've seen, not aimed in any way at the P1/P2 fans, so they probably never come and it makes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy where it looks like no one would want it because they never play it and therefore the people that would want it never come.

Sales are the end-all-be-all and indeed they ultimately dictate that P3/4 will always have the spotlight, but there's no compelling evidence that having some P1/P2 music would be particularly counterproductive.

CorvoSol

Guys I need a good Persona that knows a Garu skill for the floor 72 boss in P3P. I'm not using Yukari in this party, so I gotta get one on Famke. I'm level 25, for what that is worth.

Top Bottom