• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

I'm gonna create a seperate page on my Vita just for Danganronpa and its sequel so I can use that Junpei wallpaper. All of my other Vita wallpapers are Junpei-themed ones made by TrueSelf, so this one will be a welcome addition :)

Squire

Banned
The issue I see with it is that the concerts have been marketed as P3/P4 only from the start. There hasn't really been a move made to actually see if people would be receptive to the earlier games' music to begin with. The marketing and playlist are, as we've seen, not aimed in any way at the P1/P2 fans, so they probably never come and it makes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy where it looks like no one would want it because they never play it and therefore the people that would want it never come.

Sales are the end-all-be-all and indeed they ultimately dictate that P3/4 will always have the spotlight, but there's no compelling evidence that having some P1/P2 music would be particularly counterproductive.

Didn't know you were in touch with the marketing team.

That's the trouble with "evidence" in this instance. You don't have any more for your points than I do mine.

But I trust Atlus judgement and I don't think anyone would dispute that they're by and large very well in touch with the tastes and interests of their fans. So again, if there was a demand for material from the earlier games, I think they would recognize it and supply as needed.

And I don't think it's fair to say the concert is specifically marketed as P3/4, when it's called Persona Music FES Live (no number) and as pointed out by Sophia, they've played P2 material before anyway.

Is there a general consensus of when we'll see P5 next? E3? Gamescom? TGS? Atlus event?

1824842-1205095_never_super.jpg

Caladrius

Didn't know you were in touch with the marketing team.

That's the trouble with "evidence" in this instance. You don't have any more for your points than I do mine.

But I trust Atlus judgement and I don't think anyone would dispute that they're by and large very well in touch with the tastes and interests of their fans. So again, if there was a demand for material from the earlier games, I think they would recognize it and supply as needed.

And I don't think it's fair to say the concert is specifically marketed as P3/4, when it's called Persona Music FES Live (no number) and as pointed out by Sophia, they've played P2 material before anyway.

Fair enough.

What songs did they play?

Is there a general consensus of when we'll see P5 next? E3? Gamescom? TGS? Atlus event?

No idea. Gonna go with an old Valve favorite and say: Soon.

Omikaru

I'd wait until Persona Q is out in Japan before beginning to expect to see anything related to P5.

If we get it sooner, that's a bonus. But I just don't think it's happening.

Levito

Banned
You say that and I'll say this, if your having a Persona concert it should be a celebration of the whole series not just P3 & P4..

Huh? To my understanding, Persona began with Persona 3.

Game developers often begin a series with the "3rd entry" in a franchise. There are several other examples, such as: Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Shinobi, and Half-life. It's a long standing industry practice, and we as gamers should respect the creative decisions of the developers of the games we love.

Quite frankly, your suggestion that Persona 3 is not the first game in the series is a little insulting. Both to the series, and to myself personally.

Jintor

Game developers often begin a series with the "3rd entry" in a franchise. There are several other examples, such as: Grand Theft Auto, Fallout, Shinobi, and Half-life. It's a long standing industry practice, and we as gamers should respect the creative decisions of the developers of the games we love.

Quite frankly, your suggestion that Persona 3 is not the first game in the series is a little insulting. Both to the series, and to myself personally.

help me i'm dying

this was funny the first 20 times

snrk

Trigger

Rockclapping.gif

Squire

Banned
Fair enough.

For what it's worth, they've done Persona 1 PSP music before. Also the Satomi Tadashi theme too. Many of the concerts are themed around whatever they're releasing at the moment (See: 2012 concert being P4 focused and the 2013 concert having a lot of P3 music.)

I'd wait until Persona Q is out in Japan before beginning to expect to see anything related to P5.
If we get it sooner, that's a bonus. But I just don't think it's happening.

How late do you guys honestly think they can wait before they start to meaningfully market their biggest release of the year? I know PQ is coming out as are the other games, but June is, like, hella late to only just start showing a game that's potentially going to be out by Christmas.

/dead

cjkeats

Fair enough.

None. They've never played a P2 song, new or old. They did play Dream of Butterfly at the second show, and the encore was Satomi Tadashi Pharmacy's Theme cause the PSP remake of P1 had just came out, but that show was more focused on P3P, which came after P1P.

There was a little gap between concerts there and the next one was focused on the Anime. A lot of the reason P2 stuff never got played was probably due to there only being one Meguro song composed for it that would fit a concert and it was Lotus Juice with someone else who's never appeared at one of the shows. Sure they could've just got Hiriko or Yumi to do the chorus like when they did True Story, but eh. All speculation on my part anyways.
I would still give up one of my nuts to hear Unbreakable Tie live.

PK Gaming

tumblr_mm7cds2XXT1rke0mdo1_500.jpg

Lemstar

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I can't stop laughing.
x_x

grimmiq

So..When does Persona 3 get interesting? 20ish hours in and the main story is fine, but I'm really finding it hard to like any of the characters..

Here's what I've taken away so far..

Delusional idiot friend.
Moronic swimmer who thinks crippling himself will make his crippled nephew happy.
Tolerable girl who thinks she eats too much
Attractive but boring Senpai.
Cool but boring Senpai.
Whiny bitch emo douche guy
Whiny bitch goody-goody girl
Girl who's voice I can't stand, who talks constantly during fights.
Annoying guy who laughs at his own jokes when he's alone.
Faceless player in a MMO.

And just now they introduced a little kid, exactly what I was hoping to come next..

I've gotten to a point where instead of wanting to talk to people..I just head straight to the library to study.

So..When does Persona 3 get interesting? 20ish hours in and the main story is fine, but I'm really finding it hard to like any of the characters..

Delusional idiot friend.
Moronic swimmer who thinks crippling himself will make his crippled nephew happy.
Cool but boring Senpai.

And just now they introduced a little kid, exactly what I was hoping to come next..

I've gotten to a point where instead of wanting to talk to people..I just head straight to the library to study.

DEAD

CorvoSol

Delusional idiot friend.
Cool but boring Senpai.

See guys, I'm not the only one who thinks Yukari was a colossal bitch at that point in the game.

CorvoSol

Other than an apology for a slap, everything out of her mouth has been a complaint or accusation up to this point.

Also, are you playing Female route in P3, too? Cuz Junpei comes across way better in that route, I think.

Not Yukari, though. Maybe I just timed it poorly, but her first SLink was "Hey I'm sorry for being a bad friend to you while I'm also being a horrible friend to everyone else you know."

Persona 3 is a more deliberately cold game, Persona 4 is where they try to make everyone, for the most part, likable.

Honestly I kind of feel like if the villains of P4 had been in the setting of P3 they'd have been entirely justified and right in their view of things. Or at least much more so.

grimmiq

Also, are you playing Female route in P3, too? Cuz Junpei comes across way better in that route, I think.

Not Yukari, though. Maybe I just timed it poorly, but her first SLink was "Hey I'm sorry for being a bad friend to you while I'm also being a horrible friend to everyone else you know."

Honestly I kind of feel like if the villains of P4 had been in the setting of P3 they'd have been entirely justified and right in their view of things. Or at least much more so.

Playing male, I thought the female was only is P3P, not going to pay $40+ for it on vita.

CorvoSol

Playing male, I thought the female was only is P3P, not going to pay $40+ for it on vita.

Yikes, didn't realize they were charging that for it. But yeah, female is P3P only. Her side definitely made me like Junpei a lot more. Because you actually get to spend time with him and stuff.

Omikaru

How late do you guys honestly think they can wait before they start to meaningfully market their biggest release of the year? I know PQ is coming out as are the other games, but June is, like, hella late to only just start showing a game that's potentially going to be out by Christmas.

I'd hardly say June is that late to begin talking about P5 in more detail. Catherine was announced only six months or so before its release in Japan, while Persona 4 was even less.

I'm not saying it's 100% that they will talk about P5 after PQ is out, but if Atlus decides that that's what they want to do, it's not some outrageously stupid move that begs belief.

grimmiq

Yikes, didn't realize they were charging that for it. But yeah, female is P3P only. Her side definitely made me like Junpei a lot more. Because you actually get to spend time with him and stuff.

I've yet to have any sort of interaction with any of the main cast outside of meeting them at the school gate and saying "Yeah.." or "..No" or "..uh?", everything else has been either main story stuff or generic idea on the current situation where they may aswell be talking to a wall.

I've yet to have any sort of interaction with any of the main cast outside of meeting them at the school gate and saying "Yeah.." or "..No" or "..uh?", everything else has been either main story stuff or generic idea on the current situation where they may aswell be talking to a wall.

the male doesn't have social links with male party members. P3 original and P3FES are flawed that way. P3P has its own flaws, which some people think is worse than the flaws of P3FES, thus there is no perfect version of P3 out there.

CorvoSol

I feel that, man. Male side is not great when it comes to character interactions at all. Like, I don't think I really care much about any of the SLinks on his side. Female side's my jam, though.

PK Gaming

I feel that, man. Male side is not great when it comes to character interactions at all. Like, I don't think I really care much about any of the SLinks on his side. Female side's my jam, though.

WORD

There's this prevailing notion that FeMC's path is straight up worse than Male due to not being "canon" but I say bollocks to that.

WORD

There's this prevailing notion that FeMC's path is straight up worse than Male due to not being "canon" but I say bollocks to that.

It's better because the slinks were written by a team with almost 4 years of experience writing slinks instead of a fresh new team trying a new concept.

I'd hardly say June is that late to begin talking about P5 in more detail. Catherine was announced only six months or so before its release in Japan, while Persona 4 was even less.

I'm not saying it's 100% that they will talk about P5 after PQ is out, but if Atlus decides that that's what they want to do, it's not some outrageously stupid move that begs belief.

I'm gonna say that April or May might be when we get more info about Persona 5. That makes the most sense to me.

CorvoSol

WORD

I prefer to take the simultaneous viewpoint. Both happen at the same time since neither really conflict.

It's better because the slinks were written by a team with almost 4 years of experience writing slinks instead of a fresh new team trying a new concept.

And boy does it show! P3M's Slinks are . . . a pretty big step down from P4's. Like, am I really supposed to feel something other than revulsion while Kenji tries to get me to approve of his so-called relationship with a teacher?

I basically put it as the cast of P4 is all still in high school after the events of the game(they were no seniors, which was a weird choice)
I had been thinking on this earlier, and I came up with a possible reason--so there is no question to the player's authority. Persona 3 had to have some weird justification to put the player in charge but you still sort of aren't, in a way that comes across as silly. With no "senpai" over the main character your established authority is unquestioned and feels natural.

Though Kanji and Rise don't really strike me as the leader types, so I don't think there would have really been an issue with them... Naoto would be the only one of the characters not in your class that I feel needed to be younger than you so as to not have an issue of authority (plus it fits her quasi "short man syndrome").

I don't know, I've probably put too much thought into a lot of really inconsequential things in P4.

On the subject of Persona 3 and its flaws, I think playing it has made me more excited for Persona 5 than I was before I played it; the jump from P3 to P4 makes it clear that, even within the constraints of a reused engine, they still systematically improved nearly every blatant flaw in its systems. I am excited to see what they come up within a post-Persona 4 world.

Squire

Banned

It's not, I would just be surprised if they go that route. I mean this isn't P4 or Catherine. So much has changed I don't really think those comparisons are worth making at this point.

Top Bottom