• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

FluxWaveZ

It's not, I would just be surprised if they go that route. I mean this isn't P4 or Catherine. So much has changed I don't really think those comparisons are worth making at this point.

Yeah, comparing how those games were handled compared to Persona 5 is difficult since lots of things have changed since then, but I also feel that we shouldn't expect anything on Persona 5 until at least Persona Q comes out.

This is the first year ever where more than one original Persona game will be released. Not only that, but there are four of them coming out, including one which is a full blown main entry for an HD platform.

They'll probably want to give an equal amount of media attention to each game and I feel that the instant they show something substantial concerning P5, most would no longer care about news involving the "lesser" games and would just constantly be waiting until that next taste of P5.

Levito

Banned
Here's that podcast thing...

(Click image for Episode link)

Pepsiman was one of the best guests, and I'm glad he'll join us again one day. Mad knowledge bombs dropped this episode.

Also, you'll finally get to hear Jintor's outtro!

FluxWaveZ

Didn't they treat SMT IV the same way they are treating P5? When did they start showing SMT IV off?

No? SMT IV was announced in May 2012 and released in May 2013 (kinda like how P5's announce-to-release cycle will be), but SMT IV's first trailer was leaked three months after its reveal. The trailer was officially shown four months afterwards.

For P5 to be treated the same way: it would have been revealed via Famitsu and not a special event, a Persona 5 trailer would have had to have leaked in February and an official Persona 5 trailer would have to be revealed in March.

No? SMT IV was announced in May 2012 and released in May 2013 (kinda like how P5's announce-to-release cycle will be), but SMT IV's first trailer was leaked three months after its reveal. The trailer was officially shown four months afterwards.

For P5 to be treated the same way: it would have been revealed via Famitsu and not a special event, a Persona 5 trailer would have had to have leaked in February and an official Persona 5 trailer would have to be revealed in March.
ah okay

Squire

Banned
Yeah, comparing how those games were handled compared to Persona 5 is difficult since lots of things have changed since then, but I also feel that we shouldn't expect anything on Persona 5 until at least Persona Q comes out.

This is the first year ever where more than one original Persona game will be released. Not only that, but there are four of them coming out, including one which is a full blown main entry for an HD platform.

They'll probably want to give an equal amount of media attention to each game and I feel that the instant they show something substantial concerning P5, most would no longer care about news involving the "lesser" games and would just constantly be waiting until that next taste of P5.

I just don't think that's as big a concern with a niche series like this. People will buy it or they won't. Especially when the games are already targeting fairly unique segments of the fanbase.

I guess we'll see. I certainly don't think fear of losing a few sales on the other games is a good reason to launch P5 when it hasn't been marketed enough.

Also, I wouldn't rule it out for E3 either. It's announced for the US, so there's no reason to believe that if they have a JP trailer out in the next couple months we couldn't get one at E3. At the very least they're going to have their teaser on display, but I'm sure we all figure that.

Here's that podcast thing...

(Click image for Episode link)

Pepsiman was one of the best guests, and I'm glad he'll join us again one day. Mad knowledge bombs dropped this episode.

Also, you'll finally get to hear Jintor's outtro!

Great great guest. We really got schooled.

And man, another excellent title card from True Self.

I finally find the Tower S.Link in P3FES and that's the Tower S.Link? This game is like laser-guided in its S.Links being characters I don't want anything to do with. But I anticipate his S.Link ending up pretty high if only because he's one of the few things to do at night anymore that isn't Tartarus now that I have my social stats maxed out.

Is there a specific date you have to wait for before you can begin Mitsuru's? I started Fuuka and Yukari's no problem but Mitsuru keeps giving me the study crap even though my Academics are maxed.

I think my next favorite S.Link after the Hermit (which is already maxed out, so I'm sad) is probably the Sun, if only for the incredibly depressing music that plays during the scenes.

I finally find the Tower S.Link in P3FES and that's the Tower S.Link? This game is like laser-guided in its S.Links being characters I don't want anything to do with. But I anticipate his S.Link ending up pretty high if only because he's one of the few things to do at night anymore that isn't Tartarus now that I have my social stats maxed out.

Is there a specific date you have to wait for before you can begin Mitsuru's? I started Fuuka and Yukari's no problem but Mitsuru keeps giving me the study crap even though my Academics are maxed.

I think my next favorite S.Link after the Hermit (which is already maxed out, so I'm sad) is probably the Sun, if only for the incredibly depressing music that plays during the scenes.
Yeah, Mitsuru's can only be triggered after a set point in the game (it's pretty far in) as well as also requiring max academics and having aced at least one exam. IIRC the game doesn't do a good job of mentioning that last part. I think Portable might have done away with that last requirement

Yeah, Mitsuru's can only be triggered after a set point in the game (it's pretty far in) as well as also requiring max academics and having aced at least one exam. IIRC the game doesn't do a good job of mentioning that last part. I think Portable might have done away with that last requirement
You have to ace an exam? Never heard of that, but I did ace the first semester final.

Concerning exams, actually--I didn't ace the midterms even though I answered every question correctly. It said something about "the questions not seeming familiar" or something. What is that about?

You have to ace an exam? Never heard of that, but I did ace the first semester final.

Concerning exams, actually--I didn't ace the midterms even though I answered every question correctly. It said something about "the questions not seeming familiar" or something. What is that about?

That's based on your academics level going into the test. For exam 1 you want to be at 3, rank 4 by the second, etc. The first and last days of the exam are based on this, which is why you don't answer questions on them.

CorvoSol

It doesn't help that Academics takes FOREVER to boost. Like, I guess I could forgo SLinks and just study study study but uuugh.

hao chi

That's based on your academics level going into the test. For exam 1 you want to be at 3, rank 4 by the second, etc. The first and last days of the exam are based on this, which is why you don't answer questions on them.

Why am I not surprised you know everything related to starting Mitsuru's S. Link?

Acid08

Banned
P2 IS

ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh and Lisa became an idol for like 5 minutes which was pretty cool. I liked how one of the dungeons was a record store.

The jump in ambition from P1 to P2 is pretty astounding.

Dantis

That's debatable.

It is, but it's a debate to be had later. For now, spoiler tags.

...I think you were taking him too literally.

P2 IS

ELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Oh and Lisa became an idol for like 5 minutes which was pretty cool. I liked how one of the dungeons was a record store.

The jump in ambition from P1 to P2 is pretty astounding.

Well, I mean it's partly because P1 is so outdated even for its release. It's low budget as all heck, by the looks of things.

P2 still looks low bugdet, but it feels like a proper game for its time.

Sophia

Normally I'd just ask 9thwonder directly, as he's usually idling in the chatroom near constantly. But, in a fit of irony, the one time I want to do so he's not actually in there.

fertygo

It doesn't help that Academics takes FOREVER to boost. Like, I guess I could forgo SLinks and just study study study but uuugh.

Raising stat in P3 is dead easy, j
ust abuse the game machine at the evening
.. you maxed all the stat in like 3 month
Well, I mean it's partly because P1 is so outdated even for its release. It's low budget as all heck, by the looks of things.

P2 still looks low bugdet, but it feels like a proper game for its time.
And yet the sprite work is far better in SMI: Persona.

Banzai

Finished P3P. The Final Boss was rather ...boring.
I feel like I didnt get enough time for some SLinks, too. I chose to close my eyes at the end, did that rob me of more days?
I should watch the Answer online now, right? Gonna do that as soon as I have internet at my new place...

Academics lead you to this

mitsuru-kirijo.jpg

Study.

hao chi

Finished P3P. The Final Boss was rather ...boring.
I feel like I didnt get enough time for some SLinks, too. I chose to close my eyes at the end, did that rob me of more days?
I should watch the Answer online now, right? Gonna do that as soon as I have internet at my new place...

No, the result is the same either way.

And yes, I recommend watching The Answer unless you really love dungeon crawling, and the idea of mandatory hard mode excites you.

Omegaevolution has a good playlist on Youtube with all of The Answer's story sections that I suggest checking out.

Dantis

i never did understand why soejima just was like 'hmm, I think I'll have a sexpot mitsuru in the middle of this big spread shot'

well, i mean, I understood why... just not why...

Pretty sure it's meant to be artistic, as opposed to sexual.

Sophia

Pretty sure it's meant to be artistic, as opposed to sexual.

The presence of other characters in the full image + the lack of any noticeable sexualized characteristics means you're right. :p

... and I just now realized the title screen for Persona 3 Portable is based off another image in that artbook. Neat.

Dantis

The presence of other characters in the full image + the lack of any noticeable sexualized characteristics means you're right. :p

... and I just now realized the title screen for Persona 3 Portable is based off another image in that artbook. Neat.

LTTP SOPHIA GAWD.

That title screen was excellent.

artistic, sexual, it's all the same

right

...right

Sexually artistic. Or artistically sexual.

or as bruce pointed out to me, maybe they planned to have party members in fusion spells at some point, though i dunno.

BREAKING NEWS

tumblr_myrh9ik46g1smapw1o1_r2_1280.jpg

yukari pls

tumblr_n1w9toG5iL1s5ix73o1_400.png

Maybe they will show off P5 in April? I find it kind of funny that Index's gaming division will be known as Atlus again on April 1st, 6 days before their anniversary.

Yes.

He doesn't mean that it will be revealed in Famitsu, and that a trailer will leak. He means that the teaser is shown and then silence, followed by a full trailer a few months down the line.

this is what I meant

Meia

People also have to realize one very important thing about Persona 3, unlike Persona 4: There are no shadow selves. What I mean by that is, for the most part, when you're introduced to a new character that's going to be a team-mate, you first have to go through an ordeal and basically see precisely what makes them tick, in their darkest moments. At that point, you know precisely why a character acts the way they do, and then help to overcome it. In addition, because those characters have basically been seen "naked" by the current members of the IT and not turned away, they're able to be more friendly right from the get go.

In Persona 3, you're dropped right in the middle of a bad situation, and then slowly, over time, do you understand what makes some of these characters tick. Yukari, for example, you can get some idea of why she acts like she does by the end of her Social Link, but you also pretty much won't know the whole thing until like NOVEMBER. Even then, there's nothing explicit like a shadow with big neon flashing lights pointing out her flaw and why she's like this, it's stuff you have to piece together yourself, and not even just in the Journey, but also in the Answer too.

Yukari was one of my most disliked characters my first time playing through the game, and it took even a bit of thinking after to figure out precisely why she is the way she is(even comparing her to Rise added clues to why), and now she's one of my favorites in the series. Same with Junpei, who's a jealous douche for most of the game.

CorvoSol

P3P JULY SPOILERS

Operation Babe Hunt I was a total bust. 2 AM and I nearly bust out laughing at the inescapable horror of having to talk to Kashiwagi. Feel like basically ALL of the fanservice for this trip was completely lost by the character models being wonky little sprites and the text box covering them from just below the shoulders down during like, all scenes. Yukari had to go and drama drama drama things again because she's can't hear anyone over how tragic her back story is and the Kirijos are just so damn understanding about it.

It was interesting to see how events played out differently for the two protagonists, though. Makoto got to hit on girls at the beach, flirt with Angsty Yukari, and tell Yosuke whether or not Yukiko or Chie was his type. Clara got to have awkward lesbian jokes while Junpei and Akihiko cried their eyes out.

A robot watched me sleep and tried to move into my room. Makoto was like "Sure a girl can sleep in my room no biggie" and Clara was just a bit more hesitant than that.

Shadow Jesus and the mini boss gang sold Shinjiro some drugs because Persona 3 is a dark game with mature themes about losers buying drugs from losers.

Meia

P3P JULY SPOILERS

Operation Babe Hunt I was a total bust. 2 AM and I nearly bust out laughing at the inescapable horror of having to talk to Kashiwagi. Feel like basically ALL of the fanservice for this trip was completely lost by the character models being wonky little sprites and the text box covering them from just below the shoulders down during like, all scenes. Yukari had to go and drama drama drama things again because she's can't hear anyone over how tragic her back story is and the Kirijos are just so damn understanding about it.

It was interesting to see how events played out differently for the two protagonists, though. Makoto got to hit on girls at the beach, flirt with Angsty Yukari, and tell Yosuke whether or not Yukiko or Chie was his type. Clara got to have awkward lesbian jokes while Junpei and Akihiko cried their eyes out.

A robot watched me sleep and tried to move into my room. Makoto was like "Sure a girl can sleep in my room no biggie" and Clara was just a bit more hesitant than that.

Shadow Jesus and the mini boss gang sold Shinjiro some drugs because Persona 3 is a dark game with mature themes about losers buying drugs from losers.

Not going to lie, these posts are always a joy to read, especially the last sentence. :D

To be fair, if you had the version with actual character models, there's no Kashiwagi, and instead it's someone else which isn't as funny. Also funny to see how Yukari responds with your comment about Aigis in the room changes based on sex. Makoto it's all "HELL NO" and Minako it's "Well, you're both girls so it's fine," with Aigis going "Ok let me just move all of my ammo in" which puts a stop to it. :p

CorvoSol

Not going to lie, these posts are always a joy to read, especially the last sentence. :D

To be fair, if you had the version with actual character models, there's no Kashiwagi, and instead it's someone else which isn't as funny. Also funny to see how Yukari responds with your comment about Aigis in the room changes based on sex. Makoto it's all "HELL NO" and Minako it's "Well, you're both girls so it's fine," with Aigis going "Ok let me just move all of my ammo in" which puts a stop to it. :p

The moment I saw Kashiwagi's little sprite I tried to leave the beach. I was like "Come on guys the operation is a failure we have to GO." And Akihiko and Junpei were all "Nah brah, c'mon there's a total babe right over the-NOGODNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Also I viewed this beach trip as a loosening up for Makoto. Until then I'd played him as a complete jerkoff who always chose the rudest options for dialogue, but I couldn't bring myself to be an ass to Akihiko and Junpei ON A BEACH WITH CHEERY MUSIC PLAYING. So now Makoto is friends with them.

Forgot to mention that the highlight of the trip was Fuuka, alone with the girls, going "GUYS GUYS GUYS CHECK THIS OUT IMPORTANT STUFF TO TELL YOU" and Yukari, Clara, and Mitsuru all going "WHAT WHAT WHAT" and then Fuuka makes the world's DUMBEST face and goes "Junpei was such a big pervert yesterday and I didn't know how to respond! Because I'm actually a machine incapable of human emotion!"

Laughed so hard at that face.

PK Gaming

P3P JULY SPOILERS

Sounds like you had twice as much fun times~

Wait WHAT?!?

Yosuke's in P3P?!?

FluxWaveZ

We wouldn't even know till after P5 is released so it's not worth thinking about. Would be a nice little touch though.

We could at least suspect it, though. When the "Man Drinking Alone" was first seen, people were speculating all over the place that he might be related to Persona 5.

One would think that kind of cameo would have to be rather subtle, but distinct, though. Sho, Rei and Zen are probably too overt.

Top Bottom