• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

or as bruce pointed out to me, maybe they planned to have party members in fusion spells at some point, though i dunno.

BREAKING NEWS

tumblr_myrh9ik46g1smapw1o1_r2_1280.jpg

yukari pls

tumblr_n1w9toG5iL1s5ix73o1_400.png

I'd play Seinfeld Persona.

You thought Persona 3 and 4 gave you that everyday feel? You haven't seen anything yet.

Soriku

Yeah, comparing how those games were handled compared to Persona 5 is difficult since lots of things have changed since then, but I also feel that we shouldn't expect anything on Persona 5 until at least Persona Q comes out.

This is the first year ever where more than one original Persona game will be released. Not only that, but there are four of them coming out, including one which is a full blown main entry for an HD platform.

They'll probably want to give an equal amount of media attention to each game and I feel that the instant they show something substantial concerning P5, most would no longer care about news involving the "lesser" games and would just constantly be waiting until that next taste of P5.

The last game to coming out before P5 is P4D and that comes out sometime in autumn. I can't imagine them waiting that long before we get anything. I think getting one substantial trailer in between the hype for the other games wouldn't make much of a difference. They don't have to overload us with P5 info at the same time as media is released for the others, but one trailer should be good for a few months. That said, they should do this sooner than later. Definitely at least two months before PQ comes out in June...

FluxWaveZ

The last game to coming out before P5 is P4D and that comes out sometime in autumn. I can't imagine them waiting that long before we get anything. I think getting one substantial trailer in between the hype for the other games wouldn't make much of a difference. They don't have to overload us with P5 info at the same time as media is released for the others, but one trailer should be good for a few months. That said, they should do this sooner than later. Definitely at least two months before PQ comes out in June...

How I envision it approximately is:

Media cycle 1 (December - February) = PQ
Media cycle 2 (March - April) = PQ + a bit of P4AU
Media cycle 3 (May - June) = PQ + P4AU
Media cycle 4 (July - November/December) = P4D + P5

It's systematic and probably more than a bit wrong, but I currently feel that they'd want to organize it in this way so as to not over-prioritize some games over the others. P5 is out late enough in the year that it's not really necessary for them to start putting out media for it until at least P4AU's out in July.

I do agree that it probably wouldn't be too harmful concerning the hype for the other games and P5 itself if an actual trailer for the game came out sooner than later. I doubt we'll see one next month, though.

Soriku

It's systematic and probably more than a bit wrong, but I currently feel that they'd want to organize it in this way so as to not over-prioritize some games over the others. P5 is out late enough in the year that it's not really necessary for them to start putting out media for it until at least P4AU's out in July.

I do agree that it probably wouldn't be too harmful concerning the hype for the other games and P5 itself if an actual trailer for the game came out sooner than later. I doubt we'll see one next month, though.

I guess getting PQ and P4A2 out first wouldn't be a bad idea. I hope they don't wait that long though lol.

Lunar15

Huge guess here but maybe they separate their marketing budgets by fiscal quarters? It's similar to what you have, but adjusted slightly. Jan-March, April-June, July-Sept., Oct.-Dec.

Most game companies I work with tend to separate their marketing budgets like this.

FluxWaveZ

Huge guess here but maybe they separate their marketing budgets by fiscal quarters? It's similar to what you have, but adjusted slightly. Jan-March, April-June, July-Sept., Oct.-Dec.

Most game companies I work with tend to separate their marketing budgets like this.

That would make sense, though are you also suggesting they'd lay off the PQ marketing in favor of P4AU for the April-June period or am I interpreting it wrong? If it's the former, it'd be hard to imagine that they would have front-loaded all of the PQ media like they have while not doing anything for the couple of months leading up to its release.

Lunar15

That would make sense, though are you also suggesting they'd lay off the PQ marketing in favor of P4AU for the April-June period or am I interpreting it wrong? If it's the former, it'd be hard to imagine that they would have front-loaded all of the PQ media like they have while not doing anything for the couple of months leading up to its release.

No, they can divide it up, like you had. I mean, as far as we know, PQ and P4AU launch in the same quarter, so there's going to be marketing for both.

I look to April (start of Q2/Atlus Anniversary) for new news about other titles.

Caladrius

If you have to force yourself to play a game is it really worth pressing on?

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Valkyria Chronicles and the game isn't really gelling with me. There's a competent game here, but It doesn't feel like it's "clicking" and I never really get any urge to play it.

FluxWaveZ

No, they can divide it up, like you had. I mean, as far as we know, PQ and P4AU launch in the same quarter, so there's going to be marketing for both.

I look to April (start of Q2/Atlus Anniversary) for new news about other titles.

Gotcha, I figured as much.

April is Atlus' anniversary month, huh. That's also the month that they're becoming "Atlus" once more. I could see some cool things happening because of those.

Lunar15

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through Valkyria Chronicles and the game isn't really gelling with me. There's a competent game here, but It doesn't feel like it's "clicking" and I never really get any urge to play it.

You're killing me, Caladrius. KILLING ME.

One of the problems with VC is that I think a lot of how it presents itself is actually counterintuitive to how you should play it. You should actually be deploying the least amount of units possible and base hopping with scouts. It's a pretty awesome tactical game once you open all that up. I'd watch some walkthroughs of levels you've already played just to see all the possibilities

But hey, if you don't like it, don't force yourself to play it. I drop games all the time because they don't gel. Bravely Default being one of them. That game is hot garbage with a nice class system.

Caladrius

One of the problems with VC is that I think a lot of how it presents itself is actually counterintuitive to how you should play it. You should actually be deploying the least amount of units possible and base hopping with scouts. It's a pretty awesome tactical game once you open all that up. I'd watch some walkthroughs of levels you've already played just to see all the possibilities

But hey, if you don't like it, don't force yourself to play it. I drop games all the time because they don't gel. Bravely Default being one of them. That game is hot garbage with a nice class system.

I think I'll give it a break and come back to it with that in mind.

Nachos

Hahaha, you're a riot

---

How was your sabbatical from Neogaf? When you up and vanished we were worried. Are you doing ok?

Nah, I'm fine. It's just that with some things going on outside of GAF and me making a butt of myself early on in the Dangan Ronpa OT, I thought it would be best just to remove myself for a bit before things potentially got even worse.

Here's that podcast thing...

(Click image for Episode link)

Pepsiman was one of the best guests, and I'm glad he'll join us again one day. Mad knowledge bombs dropped this episode.

Also, you'll finally get to hear Jintor's outtro!

YEEEESSSS. Can't wait to listen to this. Oh, and I guess the podcast will be cool, too.

I'm still amazed at how overpowered the scouts are. And yeah, it's really taking some effort for me get through BD, despite adoring that class system.

CorvoSol

Haha, I got confused because I heard there were multiple P4 cameos in P3P.

So far
I've only met Ms. Kashiwagi.

Probably not. It's why I haven't made it very far in Xenogears. I hear so much good about that game but man, for as much as I wanted to love it, it may well be the worst Square PSX game I ever played.

Athena be praised!

Fun story, for some reason, even though I try to keep the female and male schedules about the same, FeMC is a full academic rank ahead of Male.

Acid08

Banned
Well, I mean it's partly because P1 is so outdated even for its release. It's low budget as all heck, by the looks of things.

P2 still looks low bugdet, but it feels like a proper game for its time.

I'm kinda loving the way P2 looks. The sprites aren't great but I appreciate what they try to do with their little animations and stuff. The environments look awesome though, super detailed and colorful.

Top 10 Lists: The Top 10 Most Annoying RPG Characters

http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/2668.html

#9: Kinshiro Morooka - Persona 4 Golden (VITA)

Oh hell no.
So annoying that he DIED.

Nachos

Raidramon0 of GameFAQs said:
A.K.A. King Moron, this teacher from hell seems to only care about the meaty income and health benefits that come with being a teacher. He doesn’t seem to care about the kids too much and he appears to be a woman hater, going so far as to thinking the protagonist is joining the sports and social clubs just to meet girls, not to mention that he’s got a serious drinking problem. He even points out that his lectures that he’s force to give his students won’t help them to get a job anywhere and he’s a major jerk that’s tough to sit through, even if he has no voiced dialog. Normally, someone like this deserves to be higher on the list, but you only have to put up with him for half the game (if that) and if you want to know, you’ll either have to play the game through, or just look up spoilers on the internet yourself.

I fail to see how thinking that you joining up with a club to meet girls qualifies as women hating. I'd basically view as Morooka being cynical about teenage boys.
Depending on who you ask, he's right.

Also, come to think of it, does anyone else think that Morooka doesn't really fit that well into Persona 4, at least design-wise? I mean, it's weird saying it, considering how insane some of the other teachers are, but Morooka really doesn't look like a human being, as opposed to being someone with some zany accessories. Ilike the character, but I feel like he should've had a decent design.

Fun story, for some reason, even though I try to keep the female and male schedules about the same, FeMC is a full academic rank ahead of Male.

"Because girls develop faster than boys do" or something.

Dantis

I'm kinda loving the way P2 looks. The sprites aren't great but I appreciate what they try to do with their little animations and stuff. The environments look awesome though, super detailed and colorful.

Yeah, P2 is a nice looking game. I think the sprites look great personally, they're just really low frame rate.

I fail to see how thinking that you joining up with a club to meet girls qualifies as women hating. I'd basically view as Morooka being cynical about teenage boys.

I'd never realised that Morooka was right about everything until now.

Mind is blown.

I think painting King Moron as woman hater or a grumpy old guy cynical about modern youth sells him short in a way. Morooka struck me as a "victim" of intense self loathing, his attitude towards his students was him projecting his own faults onto them. I think the offhand mentions of him collecting Rise photographs was not intended to just paint him as a hypocrite, but to offer a faint glimpse as to the reasoning for his rotten attitude.

Nachos

I think painting King Moron as woman hater or a grumpy old guy cynical about modern youth sells him short in a way. Morooka struck me as a "victim" of intense self loathing, his attitude towards his students was him projecting his own faults onto them. I think the offhand mentions of him collecting Rise photographs was not intended to just paint him as a hypocrite, but to offer a faint glimpse as to the reasoning for his rotten attitude.

I completely agree, which is why I was saying that I don't think that his appearance and character quite match up. However, I do think those are aspects of his character, regardless of wherever they may stem from.

He has a hard time learning when there's so many girls he could instead be chasing.

Why study when he can spend that time doing his hair to help chat up girls he'll never talk to anyway?
Just for fun, I like to imagine that Makoto is a Kenji-tier loser who daydreams the entire events of the third game. It'd certainly explain why you can't be friends with any girls and can do so with limited repercussions. Any moments where he's met with any resistance is just his feeble conscience tugging in the back of his mind for a moment, only for him to ignore it soon afterwards.

CorvoSol

Why study when he can spend that time doing his hair to help chat up girls he'll never talk to anyway?
Just for fun, I like to imagine that Makoto is a Kenji-tier loser who daydreams the entire events of the third game. It'd certainly explain why you can't be friends with any girls and can do so with limited repercussions. Any moments where he's met with any resistance is just his feeble conscience tugging in the back of his mind for a moment, only for him to ignore it soon afterwards.

Until the beach trip, I'd been playing Makoto as thirsty as fuck, willing to throw anyone and anyone under the bus for a chance to score.

Makoto is designed explicitly as a blank slate you project yourself onto. I think the reason he comes off as a dick/manipulative is because it was their first time trying S. links so the choices are pretty limited to "agree or "disagree" without any real personality behind them. Also his character design doesn't really help much. I imagine if he was a given a more cheerful look people wouldn't be so negative.

They never really give him a background
except well. y'know
so you can guess about his past/personality however you want. I think its more fun to imagine him as being a straight baller at his old high school where he got all the chicks and had the tightest bros. He was probably so disturbed by everyone in SEES' fucked up mental issues that he became a mute.

Gazoinks

Makoto is designed explicitly as a blank slate you project yourself onto. I think the reason he comes off as a dick/manipulative is because it was their first time trying S. links so the choices are pretty limited to "agree or "disagree" without any real personality behind them. Also his character design doesn't really help much. I imagine if he was a given a more cheerful look people wouldn't be so negative.

except well. y'know
so you can guess about his past/personality however you want. I think its more fun to imagine him as being a straight baller at his old high school where he got all the chicks and had the tightest bros. He was probably so disturbed by everyone in SEES' fucked up mental issues that he became a mute.

This is actually sort of how I'm playing FeMC. As basically a total normal person who's thrown in over her head and is just like "WAIT WHAT WHY AM I THE LEADER WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE".

Dantis

Guys, I have a super serious question:

Why is Naoto's hair black in the anime scenes in Persona 4? I've always wondered about it. Seems odd.

CorvoSol

This says a lot more about you guys than the character.

Yeah I'm thirsty as fuck and I would actually sell any of you to the Devil if it had a chance of getting me some action.

I'm not sorry.

Guys, I have a super serious question:

Why is Naoto's hair black in the anime scenes in Persona 4? I've always wondered about it. Seems odd.

Does Kaname Chidori have blue hair or black hair? You decide!

Dantis

Does Kaname Chidori have blue hair or black hair? You decide!

Uh... What? Kaname Chidori?

A lovely artistic trope known as Hair Color Dissonance. With a little case of Purple Is The New Black.

Her hair is darker in Soejima's concept art too.

Soejima uses less saturated colours for his concept art for whatever reason. It's still blue though!

I remember Turnip saying that he's always interpreted it as being intended to be black.

Sophia

Soejima uses less saturated colours for his concept art for whatever reason. It's still blue though!

I remember Turnip saying that he's always interpreted it as being intended to be black.

That is generally what the Hair Color Dissonance trope means. Although with Narukami and Akihiko I dunno what I think. :p

arue

Here's that podcast thing...

(Click image for Episode link)

Pepsiman was one of the best guests, and I'm glad he'll join us again one day. Mad knowledge bombs dropped this episode.

Also, you'll finally get to hear Jintor's outtro!

Pepsiman's intro (it was him right?) was great! I think my knowledge just increased. It was my first time hearing you guys' podcast too.
P4G_09-27.jpg

I don't think I would survive for more than 30 mins in a podcast :p

PK Gaming

except well. y'know

Yeah, in keeping with the SMT tradition of the MC = you, they made him as neutral as possible (with a hint of cool, apparently). Which is a shame, because Makoto arguably has the most depth out of all protagonists from the get-go , and they didn't really make use of that in P3.

They seemed to be shifting gears with his characterization in the P3 movie though. If they decide to remake P3 down the line, they should incorporate elements of his characterization in P3 the movie (ie: make his dialogue responses more distinct)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It doesn't help that literally everything related to her S. Link is about as canon as FeMC.

As far as I can tell the canon for both 3 and 4 is that MC didn't do the social links for anyone.

Top Bottom