• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Really? I've constantly been hearing the opposite, that P3P has a load of new social links and stuff thanks to the female MC.

The social links may be good but it utterly destroys the story with its terrible animation and it doesn't have a over world, just get fes on ps3. One thing also people really overrate P3 female mc because ideally she just doesn't fit well in the game, she contrasts from the game's atmosphere.

Maybesew

Hi. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to tackle the persona back catalog. I played P4G on vita and would probably prefer to stay on vita over ps3 for now.

But that means choosing between p3 portable and p3 FES. WHich is the better game?

Is p2 eternal a good choice for persona 2?

I'm open to all suggestions.

Acid08

Banned
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on the best way to tackle the persona back catalog. I played P4G on vita and would probably prefer to stay on vita over ps3 for now.

But that means choosing between p3 portable and p3 FES. WHich is the better game?

FES is the best option for 3.

Play Persona 1 Portable, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and then Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. In that order.

CorvoSol

The social links may be good but it utterly destroys the story with its terrible animation and it doesn't have a over world, just get fes on ps3. One thing also people really overrate P3 female mc because ideally she just doesn't fit well in the game, she contrasts from the game's atmosphere.

What, by having SLinks that don't suck?

P3P

I love how completely nonchalant everybody is about the fact that in the last three weeks we've found out robots are real and dogs can use personas. Too deep/serious/mature for me. Truly this game is so much darker than P4. So dark and mature and serious with its robot girls and its dogs.

So, for P3FES VS P3P, let me ask you this, do you prefer gameplay over story? Or story over gameplay?

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is a sequel to Persona 2 Innocent Sin, you need to play both, and both connect to Persona 1, and while it has references and stuff and its good to play 1 first, some people can't take 1, so if you don't think 1 looks good, just skip it.

Zebetite

Banned

The usual (I think?) suggestion is to play FES for a first playthrough if it's at all possible, then roll into P3P as a second playthrough to play FeMC for her new social links, music, etc.

Persona 2 is actually two games. It's not like a Pokemon Red/Blue thing. Eternal Punishment is the sequel to Innocent Sin. You should play IS first.

FluxWaveZ

P3FES is not on the Vita. Only P3P is, which I would say is the inferior way to experience Persona 3 your first time through because of the visual novel treatment to the visuals as well as no cutscenes and no The Answer epilogue.

There is no good choice for Persona 2 because it's a duology, with Innocent Sin being the first game and Eternal Punishment being the second. It's practically necessary to play both in order unless you just want to get one half of the story.

I would recommend playing P3FES first before P1 or P2. I'd only recommend P1 if you can tolerate oldschool dungeon crawling (P1 and P2 are not structured at all like P3 or P4).

Acid08

Banned
And then FES last?
Well 3 and 4 are completely separate from 1 and 2. If you want more of the P4 style of game then go ahead and play 3. 3 also had a couple little winks and nods to P2 but nothing major.

For the older games they should definitely be played in order.

CorvoSol

I feel so great about being the fastest on the swim team. I mean, it took real effort to beat
the kid whose leg is falling off.

Zebetite

Banned
And then FES last?

Persona 3 and 4 represent a sort of soft reboot for the series. You don't particularly need to know anything about Persona 1 or 2 to enjoy Persona 3. Additionally, Persona 1 and 2 are very, very, very different games to Persona 3 (much more along the lines of regular PS1 JRPGs, none of the social sim aspects etc). You can play 3 whenever you want.

If I were you I would get Persona 3 fes first because that's the place where the storytelling isn't screwed up like P3P due to the terrible animation and it also doesn't have cutscenes, so go with Fes. Though fes doesn't give complete control over your team it isn't a big deal because you have a tactic box, so play P3P after your done with fes trust me if you want the full experience.

Acid08

Banned
I feel so great about being the fastest on the swim team. I mean, it took real effort to beat
the kid whose leg is falling off.
I love that guy's dialogue to you when he asks you to hang out at lunch.

"Hey what's up wanna eat lunc- OH GOD STOP STARING AT MY KNEE."

Thanks for all of the feedback. PersonaGAF is pretty awesome

If you are gonna play the old trilogy, remember to play Persona 1, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, and remember that Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is the PS1 version from 2000, which uses the translations from the old, bad PS1 version of Persona 1, so things like names will suddenly be changed to the old Americanized Persona 1 translations. For example, Kei Nanjo becomes Nate Nanjo.

For the modern games, play P3FES or P3P, and P4G, do not play Persona 4 Arena until you beat both P3 and P4. If you pick P3P, make sure to google a playthrough of P3FES The Answer so you know what happens in that before you play P4A.

Squire

Banned
Library girl so into Famke it hurts.

x-men-3-jean-grey-portrait-famke-janssen.jpg

Good taste.

PK Gaming

P3P

I love how completely nonchalant everybody is about the fact that in the last three weeks we've found out robots are real and dogs can use personas. Too deep/serious/mature for me. Truly this game is so much darker than P4. So dark and mature and serious with its robot girls and its dogs.

This will be my go-to rebuttals for people who dump on P4 for being too silly
Library girl so into Famke it hurts.

Word

CorvoSol

x-men-3-jean-grey-portrait-famke-janssen.jpg

Good taste.

High fives all around.

AUGUST FIRST FAMKE SIDE

I'M SO HAPPY I'M CRYING.

SHORT HAIRED YUKIKO!!! This must be how Cajunator ALWAYS feels.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

THE TIME HAS COME. AT LAST CLARA ADMITS SHE IS TRULY IN LOVE WITH JUNPEI. NO GIRL CAN ACTUALLY RESIST DA MAN!

So if Elizabeth isn't the most powerful being then why do they leave it up to a bunch of angsty teenagers to save the world. smh.

edit: I mean (P3 ending spoilers)
the entirety of The Answer is this big build up to the big showdown with Erebus. Then in P4A Elizabeth kills it with a single sword stroke.
seriously what's the point lol

I think my favorite incidental NPC in Persona 3 is the girl outside your class who has a crush on Mitsuru. She's one of the few NPCs that I always go out of my way to check to see if she has new dialogue.

Nachos

P3P

Watch out, because that dog will cut you.

CorvoSol

Watch out, because that dog will cut you.

He's actually one of my most anticipated party members. I just don't think he fits this hilarious myth of P3 being more serious or dark than P4 in any way.

So if Elizabeth isn't the most powerful being then why do they leave it up to a bunch of angsty teenagers to save the world. smh.

Well in the case of the P4 teens those kids beat a Goddess. Can't say about P3 cuz I haven't finished yet, but probably the same thing. JRPG heroes beat Gods and save Worlds all the time.

Acid08

Banned
He's actually one of my most anticipated party members. I just don't think he fits this hilarious myth of P3 being more serious or dark than P4 in any way.

It's not really a myth dude. The tone of that game is definitely more serious throughout. P4 has constant scenes of levity throughout, P3 really doesn't have that many.

Like, why is P4A2 even a thing if Elizabeth can wipe the floor with literally everyone without using any energy?

P4A spoilers:
Elizabeth defeated Erebus, but she cant eradicate it. Erebus will come back, year after year. There is also a far graver threat looming around in the Persona universe.

hao chi

Like, why is P4A2 even a thing if Elizabeth can wipe the floor with literally everyone without using any energy?

I'm pretty sure it's something about how Velvet Room attendants aren't supposed to directly interfere in these events. I'm sure she's already breaking enough rules as it is on her mission.

CorvoSol

It's not really a myth dude. The tone of that game is definitely more serious throughout. P4 has constant scenes of levity throughout, P3 really doesn't have that many.

It's pretty much a myth.
I just recruited a dog and a robot.
Only Junpei reacted to the revelation that either of those things were a thing. At night the streets are prowled by
Shadow Jesus and his miniboss squad.
The back story so far is
oh no a science experiment went wrong and Yukari's dad died.

Like, which part of this is supposed to be the grim, serious, dark plot line? 29 days of a month are spent dicking around with friends or at jobs, same as P4. The 2 days a month you're not doing that, you're listening to Ikutsuki tell bad jokes while you go to the Shadow World to fight Shadows and Yukari has probbums.

Soma

I never really found P3 all that more "darker" than P4 besides the overlying theme of death and several scenes. More than anything I find it much more laid back than P4. I always had this looming anxious feeling whenever I wasn't going into the TV World to save someone. It was like I could be hanging out with Chie but there's always this thought in the back of head going "HEY YOU BETTER GO TO THE TV WORLD OR ELSE THIS PERSON IS GONNA DIE THEN GAME OVER YOU SELFISH ASSHOLE".

P3 on the other hand felt more relaxed and I felt comfortable going to Tartarus a few times a week. It was like "oh uhhhh yeah there's this big tower thing. go explore whenever you feel like it I guess. just remember there's a boss fight every full moon 'kay?" Then I could just focus on school stuff and social links at my own pace which ended up making me feeling more immersed in the school life setting.

CorvoSol

I never really found P3 all that more "darker" than P4 besides the overlying theme of death and several scenes. More than anything I find it much more laid back than P4. I always had this looming anxious feeling whenever I wasn't going into the TV World to save someone. It was like I could be hanging out with Chie but there's always this thought in the back of head going "HEY YOU BETTER GO TO THE TV WORLD OR ELSE THIS PERSON IS GONNA DIE THEN GAME OVER YOU SELFISH ASSHOLE".

P3 on the other hand felt more relaxed and I felt comfortable going to Tartarus a few times a week. It was like "oh uhhhh yeah there's this big tower thing. go explore whenever you feel like it I guess. just remember there's a boss fight every full moon 'kay?" Then I could just focus on school stuff and social links at my own pace which ended up making me feeling more immersed in the school life setting.

I can agree to this. P3 is definitely more laid back about "HEY GO DO THE RPG PART OF THE GAME, KID." than P4 was.

Acid08

Banned
It's pretty much a myth.
I just recruited a dog and a robot.
Only Junpei reacted to the revelation that either of those things were a thing. At night the streets are prowled by
Shadow Jesus and his miniboss squad.
The back story so far is
oh no a science experiment went wrong and Yukari's dad died.

Like, which part of this is supposed to be the grim, serious, dark plot line? 29 days of a month are spent dicking around with friends or at jobs, same as P4. The 2 days a month you're not doing that, you're listening to Ikutsuki tell bad jokes while you go to the Shadow World to fight Shadows and Yukari has probbums.

I don't know what to tell you if you think omlette and watermelon parties aren't lighter in tone than the stuff going on in P3. P4 breaks up the more serious moments it has with stuff like that way more often. Just because there's a dog doesn't mean the overall plot can't be more serious.

But whatever you're not even done yet.

PK Gaming

Corvo you're right for the most part, but P3 gets legitimately heavy during the final quarter of the game.

I think my favorite incidental NPC in Persona 3 is the girl outside your class who has a crush on Mitsuru. She's one of the few NPCs that I always go out of my way to check to see if she has new dialogue.

I loved her

"Mitsuru is sooooo smart and beautiful... and magnificent and asdskfskgsgk ♥"

CorvoSol

I don't know what to tell you if you think omlette and watermelon parties aren't lighter in tone than the stuff going on in P3. P4 breaks up the more serious moments it has with stuff like that way more often. Just because there's a dog doesn't mean the overall plot can't be more serious.

But whatever you're not even done yet.

I don't see how trips to a beach or a love hotel are that much more serious than trips to the beach or a love hotel.

I didn't feel that way when I first played P3. In my mind I was always thinking "Okay, there's X amount of days until the next full moon boss. I don't know what it's going to be or how it's going to attack. I should probably go to Tartarus today and do some grinding." In P4 I felt very little urgency to finish the dungeons. Usually I could finish them in 3~ days so the sense of panic I had with P3 was not there.

What little of P1 I've played still feels way more like SMT4 than it does P3 or P4, haha. First person segments warp my brain, though.

People have argued that P2 has a ton of goofy moments, and it does, but its dark. You can be dark and have a ton of goofy moments. Persona 2 is 3rd person btw.

Acid08

Banned
I don't see how trips to a beach or a love hotel are that much more serious than trips to the beach or a love hotel.
The love hotel part isn't really comparable. Like, the love hotel full moon event compared to the love hotel stuff in P4? C'mon dude.

Not saying at all that P3 doesn't have its moments of levity but it really isn't in the same realm that P4 is.

CorvoSol

People have argued that P2 has a ton of goofy moments, and it does, but its dark. You can be dark and have a ton of goofy moments. Persona 2 is 3rd person btw.

This isn't a point I disagree with. I actually think that Wind Waker is the darkest Zelda, for instance. I just haven't seen much to indicate there's anything darker in P3 than there was in P4. Except Kenji's SLink. That right there is something that makes me question the worth of humanity and view the world in black and black moral lenses.

The love hotel part isn't really comparable. Like, the love hotel full moon event compared to the love hotel stuff in P4? C'mon dude.

Not saying at all that P3 doesn't have its moments of levity but it really isn't in the same realm that P4 is.

There might even be serious moments in P3, but that's not my point. My point is this game is nowhere near the "more serious than P4" that people are saying. Which isn't really that shocking to me, because no part of P3 has really lived up to the hype yet.

Top Bottom