• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

You should probably get farther in the game before making fun of the dark parts of P3. If you've only just gotten to Operation Babe Hunt you've barely even gotten to the heavier stuff in the game.

It's pretty much a myth.
I just recruited a dog and a robot.
Only Junpei reacted to the revelation that either of those things were a thing. At night the streets are prowled by
Shadow Jesus and his miniboss squad.
The back story so far is
oh no a science experiment went wrong and Yukari's dad died.

Like, which part of this is supposed to be the grim, serious, dark plot line? 29 days of a month are spent dicking around with friends or at jobs, same as P4. The 2 days a month you're not doing that, you're listening to Ikutsuki tell bad jokes while you go to the Shadow World to fight Shadows and Yukari has probbums.

Dude if a game's theme is death I think it's supposed to be dark and serious, it's even shown through the random people who are affected by the dark hour and social link. Shit you haven't even gotten to the point where it's seriously tense, so yeah it's grimmer than Persona 4.

CorvoSol

Dude if a game's theme is death I think it's supposed to be dark and serious, it's even shown through the random people who are affected by the dark hour and social link. Shit you haven't even gotten to the point where it's seriously tense, so yeah it's grimmer than Persona 4.

The game's theme is death and nobody's even bitten it yet.

You should probably get farther in the game before making fun of the dark parts of P3. If you've only just gotten to Operation Babe Hunt you've barely even gotten to the heavier stuff in the game.

True, true, and I reserve the right to admit I was wrong down the road, but at present my thoughts are what they are.

I feel really overleveled in P3. I always manage to hit the topmost possible floor in like a week, but there isn't enough to do at nights anymore since I have maxed out my social skills so I tend to go to Tartarus a lot even when I have absolutely no reason to do so. Every time I enter a new unlocked area after a Full Moon Operation a bunch of enemies are already distressed at my presence.

I will say that I agree with some of the other posters that we shouldn't really judge the game on those kinds of terms Corvo until we've beaten it.

EDIT: I do feel confident in judging P3's pacing though, which is ass.

Lunar15

P3's themes are definitely more morbid, however morbid and dark =/= better storytelling.

I really like P3's themes and story though, I'm just saying that it doesn't take the whole story being morbid to make a good story. It's how you use the themes you have. Both P3 and P4 use their themes excellently.

P3's themes are definitely more morbid, however morbid and dark =/= better storytelling.

I really like P3's themes and story though, I'm just saying that it doesn't take the whole story being morbid to make a good story. It's how you use the themes you have. Both P3 and P4 use their themes excellently.

Nobody is arguing that a morbid/dark story makes for a better story. The only argument is that P3 is a darker game than P4.

New PQ promotion! (Not the kind you'd expect)

You can find it here

Interesting. Too bad I can't read any of it.

CorvoSol

I will say that I agree with some of the other posters that we shouldn't really judge the game on those kinds of terms Corvo until we've beaten it.

I mean, you're absolutely right of course, but so far the game hasn't clicked for me much, I guess. I could go more into detail on my complaints, but I think I've harped on the game enough for one night, and it's no fun when one guy comes in and starts shitting on a much liked game.

Aqua, edit that out.

Man even spoilered it's not hard to guess what's behind that white line. So now I apologize to Green Mamba for forcing someone to reveal a spoiler of that nature.

By the end of the game you'll see why those goobers from P4 should be thankful as shit that they don't have to go through that stuff. Speaking of which, I really hope they actually learn what happened in P3 in P4A2. I'd like to see their reaction.

I wonder if you'd like it more if you were playing FES. I honestly can't imagine playing P3 VN style it would just seem... wrong.

ZXr1SON.png
ZXr1SON.png

ZXr1SON.png
ZXr1SON.png

Lunar15

Nobody is arguing that a morbid/dark story makes for a better story. The only argument is that P3 is a darker game than P4.

Interesting. Too bad I can't read any of it.

And I'm saying I agree. I just get the weird sense that people like to call it out as dark because that makes it better or something.

CorvoSol

I'm sorry dude :/

Don't be. Like I said, I already know more or less P3 ENDING SPOILERS
that the protagonist is dead or sealed or what have you
at the end of the game. That's what's probably thrown off my enjoyment of the actual plot. I can't really discuss it beyond that because that's basically all I know about the end.

It isn't that I hate the game, though, guys. I can't say I've really resonated with it the way I did P4, but it's still not a bad RPG. I mean I played FF13. Bar is pretty low.

I had the P3 ending spoiled for me too but it didn't really hamper my enjoyment of the game. In a way knowing
what happens actually improves it, believe it or not.
Of course I bet P3P totally butchers it so unless you're a bad enough dude to also play through FES you should check out the stuff you missed on youtube once you're finished.

Zebetite

Banned
Don't be. Like I said, I already know more or less P3 ENDING SPOILERS
that the protagonist is dead or sealed or what have you
at the end of the game. That's what's probably thrown off my enjoyment of the actual plot. I can't really discuss it beyond that because that's basically all I know about the end.

It isn't that I hate the game, though, guys. I can't say I've really resonated with it the way I did P4, but it's still not a bad RPG. I mean I played FF13. Bar is pretty low.

I knew the same spoiler you did when I played P3 and the game still threw plenty of curveballs at me. Just try keep it out of your mind and enjoy the ride

Guys, The Walking Dead Season 2 is really good so far. You all clearly enjoy a good story and characters, so you owe it to yourselves to play this game.

This is tangentially related to Persona because both series have plot and death and stuff.

CorvoSol

I knew the same spoiler you did when I played P3 and the game still threw plenty of curveballs at me. Just try keep it out of your mind and enjoy the ride

It's about all I can do, I guess. And for the most part I am enjoying the game.
When I'm playing as the vastly superior Famke :p

Guys, The Walking Dead Season 2 is really good so far. You all clearly enjoy a good story and characters, so you owe it to yourselves to play this game.

This is tangentially related to Persona because both series have plot and death and stuff.

I beat the first Season of that. I need to finish 400 days.

I should replay TWD anyway. I feel really bad about the way I treated Kenny.

Kenny was my favourite character from S1. He could be a selfish dick at times yeah, but in my playthrough he and Lee were turbros who stuck with each other through thick and thin.

I can totally understand not liking him based on the choices one made throughout the game, though.

I remember the one got me into Persona had sent me the ending video to me. When I had finished P4G, I had no idea what was going on. Then when I played it kinda ruined that moment but made sense.

CorvoSol

Kenny was my favourite character from S1. He could be a selfish dick at times yeah, but in my playthrough he and Lee were turbros who stuck with each other through thick and thin.

I can totally understand not liking him based on the choices one made throughout the game, though.

Nah, see, I felt bad because during the whole Hotel thing I didn't stand by Kenny enough and it came back to haunt me as the game went on.

Squire

Banned
Couldn't stand what I played of TWD. Stiff voice acting and weirdly contradictory design. ("These decisions MATTER. Also, you have five seconds to make them. Yes, even when there's no immediate danger whatsoever.")

Glad TellTale is pleasing the fans though!

Top Bottom