• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT4| The Golden Number

Lunar15

Eh, depends on your preference of fashion. His style tailors more to the high-fashion of the fashion market; stuff you'll see in European runways and most likely not things you'll see everyday on the street. A lot of them might come across as really silly but there's always something interesting beneath all those outlandish outfits and designs. He's got an eye for cohesiveness and pattern themes which translates really well to designs in both demons and humans in a setting that's (very literally) seen the end of the world.

I've posted this before but I've always found this particular blog post a pretty interesting read in regards to Kaneko's style of fashion design.

Not gonna lie though, he does have a few duds.

That's a fun article, and it kind of puts an interesting spin on all his demon designs. I never really viewed them from the high fashion standpoint.

Eh, depends on your preference of fashion. His style tailors more to the high-fashion of the fashion market; stuff you'll see in European runways and most likely not things you'll see everyday on the street. A lot of them might come across as really silly but there's always something interesting beneath all those outlandish outfits and designs. He's got an eye for cohesiveness and pattern themes which translates really well to designs in both demons and humans in a setting that's (very literally) seen the end of the world.

I've posted this before but I've always found this particular blog post a pretty interesting read in regards to Kaneko's style of fashion design.

Interesting article, maybe Lady Gaga should hire Kazuma Kaneko to make some of her costumes.

Lunar15

Interesting article, maybe Lady Gaga should hire Kazuma Kaneko to make some of her costumes.

I've got the base right here!

WlFicr8.jpg

Sophia

So in other words, his style doesn't reflect 90% of the characters he's ever drawn. =p

I did like his Nocturne designs however. All the characters there had believable, if insanely stylish, outfits. They dressed like how normal people would, give or take.

ramyeon

Kaneko's designs of both demons/personas and characters are what drew me towards and got me interested in the series when I was a teenager. I remember searching for RPGs that never got released here and stumbled upon Eternal Punishment. Piqued my interest right away. It was cold and bleak looking but at the same time graceful and beautiful. The demons were graceful and grotesque at the same time, really outstanding stuff. And it really set the whole series apart from anything else, giving it a very unique aesthetic.

Regardless of personal preference, and while I do like Soejima's stuff it is definitely more generic anime than Kaneko's unique style. Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you but I feel that especially the demon and persona designs have suffered from this. Some of the main party's personas in P4 looked straight out of a Kids anime like Digimon.

Kaneko's designs of both demons/personas and characters are what drew me towards and got me interested in the series when I was a teenager. I remember searching for RPGs that never got released here and stumbled upon Eternal Punishment. Piqued my interest right away. It was cold and bleak looking but at the same time graceful and beautiful. The demons were graceful and grotesque at the same time, really outstanding stuff. And it really set the whole series apart from anything else, giving it a very unique aesthetic.

Regardless of personal preference, and while I do like Soejima's stuff it is definitely more generic anime than Kaneko's unique style. Whether that's a bad thing or not is up to you but I feel that especially the demon and persona designs have suffered from this. Some of the main party's personas in P4 looked straight out of a Kids anime like Digimon.

It was Kaneko's designs that scared me away from the Persona games as a kid. My cousin showed me Revelations: Persona and Persona 2: EP for the PS1 and I thought the designs of the cover art alone just looked down right creepy. Then again I think most kids would. Now that I am older, I've come to appreciate their unique beauty. DMC3 was actually my reintroduction to Kaneko's work, the Devil Trigger art style seemed familiar yet out of place in that game.

While Kaneko's art style is incredible in its own right, I'm glad Soejima did the art for P3/4. It's probably that more anime look that appeals to new fans and a younger demographic.

Loved the article, it was an interesting way of looking at Kaneko's style. I would say that a lot of his demons designs do have a lot of geometry and odd angles to their design, but also what makes them have this strange and Gothic beauty to them. Another thing I would say is that while his designs are often wild and bizarre in terms of design a lot of the time, he does show restraint. In not going too overboard and over designing demons a lot of the time.

I have of found a few of Kaneko's designs that wouldn't be too far off from what Lady Gaga wears in concert or in her music videos.

When he goes classy, it's all good. (See: Durarara)

It's just for some reason Devil Survivor's girls bring out the worst in him.

As for Nocturne's dungeons, I want to say Kaz came up with that stuff too, but it was probably Okada's influence as well.

Persona 2 EP and Soul Hackers kind of have similarly off vibes.

Pretty much, such a bad influence that goal...

I want whatever artist designed the art for the dungeons in Nocturne. That shit was zen, and I'd love to see that style in another game.

Like that dungeon in P4. I refer to it as Demonic Art Deco. Massively intelligent idea for low-budget 3D console work, as well.

I have of found a few of Kaneko's designs that wouldn't be too far off from what Lady Gaga wears in concert or in her music videos.

I can totally see her wearing those.

I would love to go to a Lady Gaga concert. If she dressed up like demons from the SMT universe that would be a bonus.

Edit: eh, she basically dresses like SMT series demons anyways.

FluxWaveZ

Naoto, bored after the most important case of her life was solved, dedicated an entire month to improving her New Nambu M60 flourish.

So I guess these are the PQ characters that are talked about in the newest Famitsu, mentioned previously in this thread:

X8qc2ay.jpg

Makes sense; none of them have been updated on the official website yet.

FluxWaveZ

See, now that's ArcSys dedication in full effect.

Or Atlus giving the mandate that those animations had to be used for those characters. I remember reading that a lot of the P4A sound effects are also from Persona 4 itself, too.

Not to say ASW isn't dedicated to their craft, though. From the P4A artbook interview, Teddie's winning animation wouldn't have been nearly as awesome if it wasn't for their dedication.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Woo, just platinumed P4G. My first platinum trophy too.

Now to write up a LttP thread tomorrow about it. I know there was once recently, but I have some personal experiences in regards to it that I want to share.

FluxWaveZ

In Arena Mitsuru and Akihiko are only what, 20?

Dude Akihiko is jacked as hell for a 20 year old dude.

Dude was always obsessed with training and body building since he was a young teenager. After high school, he just had the time to kick his training into overdrive (like he refers to in his PQ trailer).

It's plausible, despite obviously being buff. What mostly looks silly to me are the huge scars, but I guess training against bears, dodging bullets and whatever the hell else he was doing between P3 and P4A will do that.

PK Gaming

Woo, just platinumed P4G. My first platinum trophy too.

Now to write up a LttP thread tomorrow about it. I know there was once recently, but I have some personal experiences in regards to it that I want to share.

Congrats, it's a fun game to platinum
In Arena Mitsuru and Akihiko are only what, 20?

Dude Akihiko is jacked as hell for a 20 year old dude.

You don't understand

He's been training. Training, man.

CorvoSol

I mean, Kanji looks ripped, too, but Akihiko's on a whole nother level there. Did he do anything after highschool aside from pump iron? You guys weren't kidding when you said protein was his woman.

Acid08

Banned
I mean, Kanji looks ripped, too, but Akihiko's on a whole nother level there. Did he do anything after highschool aside from pump iron? You guys weren't kidding when you said protein was his woman.
Play more of P3 and you'll fucking see what kind of shit Akihiko is into. Here's a fucking hint: IT'S TRAINING.

Dantis

Nothing interesting from Famitsu then?

Also, Chiaki's mouth looks really off in that picture.

Those Arena sprites. Kinda ugly.

The faces are the worst part, by far.

In the art book, Soejima actually drew some reference sketches that would have made the game look a lot better if Arc had followed them.

On the other hand, here they did their own thing, and I think maybe that was for the best in the end. It's what they're used to (Seeing as it's pretty much the same as their Blazblue art), so they'll have the workflow down.

Setsu00

That actually means that Soejima succeeded in what kind of idea he wanted to convey with his designs. The P4 artbook has him speaking in detail about how today's teenagers have actually no idea what those gods look like. Instead, many Japanese people consult the media whenever they want to know what a god looks like.
And since a Persona is always based off the character's mental image instead of an accurate portrayal of the demon or god, this way of thinking makes actually a lot of sense.

Dude was always obsessed with training and body building since he was a young teenager. After high school, he just had the time to kick his training into overdrive (like he refers to in his PQ trailer).

It's plausible, despite obviously being buff. What mostly looks silly to me are the huge scars, but I guess training against bears, dodging bullets and whatever the hell else he was doing between P3 and P4A will do that.

There was a 20 year old guy in my former school that was just as buff as Akihiko.

Dantis

That actually means that Soejima succeeded in what kind of idea he wanted to convey with his designs. The P4 artbook has him speaking in detail about how today's teenagers have actually no idea what those gods look like. Instead, many Japanese people consult the media whenever they want to know what a god looks like.
And since a Persona is always based off the character's mental image instead of an accurate portrayal of the demon or god, this way of thinking makes actually a lot of sense

Even more so when you consider that the game is all about media influencing people's perceptions and opinions.

Top Bottom